ImageImageImageImageImage

Bob Myers says Warriors working on extensions for Barnes and Ezeli

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#1 » by NBAfan3024 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:18 pm

Bob Myers says Warriors working on extensions for Barnes and Ezeli http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25283395/bob-myers-says-warriors-working-on-extensions-for-barnes-and-ezeli via @CBSSports #NBA
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Re: Bob Myers says Warriors working on extensions for Barnes and Ezeli 

Post#2 » by OptionZero » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:30 pm

Not particularly surprising that they're working on it.

I would prefer to lock up Ezeli for something like $10-12M annually. Some stupid team could give him $20M next year on potential but with his injuries he might want security on a team that's good and that he enjoys

Barnes we might need to wait and see. If he takes $10-12M sign him, I just don't see him settling for that. He's tradeable at that number.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#3 » by likashing » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Ezeli is not worth $10-12m. Koufos is just $8.25m per. Jordan Hill $5m for 1 year. That's the tier Ezeli is in. $10-12m you are talking about Asik money, or just a little bit below Chandler/Robin Lopez.

There are so many centers next summer, Motiejunas, Drummond, Horford, Whiteside, Mozgov, and even Dwight if he opts out. Ezeli won't get any attention and I'd rather let him become a RFA if he cannot be extended. Not at $10-12m.

I think Barnes is more likely to get an RFA offer which we don't want to match than Ezeli. So it is more important to see if we can get Barnes to extend for a favorable/trade-able deal first.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#4 » by azwfan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:31 pm

If we get these two locked up and we don't get Durant, there's going to be hell to pay on this board (title or not).
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#5 » by Warriorfan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:39 am

Ezeli started 61 games out of 164 plus critical close out games against above avg bigs. He also has some upside despite being 26 since he only began to play basketball at 18.

Barnes also has some upside
NBAfan3024
RealGM

Post#6 » by NBAfan3024 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:56 am

azwfan wrote:If we get these two locked up and we don't get Durant, there's going to be hell to pay on this board (title or not).

We won't get him
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,838

Post#7 » by whatisacenter » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:31 am

Great news! I hope both sides can come to an extension and keep this young core together. Festus really expanded his game last year under Adams' tutelage and Barnes who still needs to become more consistent, really came up big in a couple of games when needed in the playoffs. Both players are great teamates with excellent work ethic.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#8 » by GswStorm3 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:08 am

azwfan wrote:If we get these two locked up and we don't get Durant, there's going to be hell to pay on this board (title or not).

We're probably not landing Durant unless it's a sign and trade anyway. So why not extend Barnes and Ezeli right now?
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#9 » by watch1958 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm

Sad but true. I could imagine the team winning 3 rings in the next 5 years, but there would still be people mad if they didn't get KD.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#10 » by ChuckDurn » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:13 pm

watch1958 wrote:

Sad but true. I could imagine the team winning 3 rings in the next 5 years, but there would still be people mad if they didn't get KD.

Yep. Which is crazy.

While everybody puts us in "the list" of contenders for KD, nobody has us as a favorite. People should be hoping for, but not counting on, KD joining us. And obviously, that's only if he proves that he can stay healthy this season rather than continues to have issues with his foot.

The key is to get Barnes and Ezeli signed up on "good" deals. If they're on good contracts, they will be moveable for other assets (such as picks) or directly to OKC in a sign-and-trade. We shouldn't "chase" a longshot at this point (i.e. getting Durant) - that's what the Warriors of 2010-2012 could do, before there was a track record of success. We're a favorite now, not an underdog, so we should keep making smart contract decisions rather than chasing somebody.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#11 » by azwfan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:29 am

ChuckDurn wrote:
watch1958 wrote:

Yep. Which is crazy.

While everybody puts us in "the list" of contenders for KD, nobody has us as a favorite. People should be hoping for, but not counting on, KD joining us. And obviously, that's only if he proves that he can stay healthy this season rather than continues to have issues with his foot.

The key is to get Barnes and Ezeli signed up on "good" deals. If they're on good contracts, they will be moveable for other assets (such as picks) or directly to OKC in a sign-and-trade. We shouldn't "chase" a longshot at this point (i.e. getting Durant) - that's what the Warriors of 2010-2012 could do, before there was a track record of success. We're a favorite now, not an underdog, so we should keep making smart contract decisions rather than chasing somebody.

Honestly, i think we got a chance to win titles with the team we got. I'm not convinced gutting it for Durant gets us to a higher level. If we're just talking about Barnes and Ezeli, then of course - gotta do that. But if we're talking about Barnes, Ezeli, needing to dump Livingston and dump one of Bogut/Iguodala. I'm not so sure about that. Actually at this point, i am sure - no.

I want to win titles. I could care less if we put together an all star team if we're not winning titles. I know this team can win titles... i don't know about a Durant led team... furthermore, as Chuck says, i don't even think we're the favorite to land him.

I agree that getting Barnes and Ezeli on good deals should be a priority but for a slightly different reason. Flexibility. There are limitations on spending. Even if the owners don't care about how much money they spend. The CBA limits teams with the salary cap, the luxury tax, and the apron. Getting good deals for all our players should be a priority so when Bogut/Iguodala are on their last leg here, we can replace them with quality players. And that goes for all our players.

I know its all the rage these days to view everyone as an asset... which its ridiculous. Draft picks are assets. The players on the team are parts of a championship machine. And right now, the machine is moving nicely. If there's a chance to upgrade the part... great. But the part has gotta fit, and you better be careful (and know what you are doing) upgrading your transmission when the one you've got won you a title. Otherwise, you can end up like the Mavs.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#12 » by Money_ » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:31 am

There will be no chasing of Durant. If Durant wants to come here (and he's healthy), it will happen. Situation will be similar to the way iggy to the warriors played out.. The Warriors are healthy and in the playoffs again. Durant is healthy and wants out of OKC, picks GSW as his destination. Bob Myers makes it happen.
sjballer03
Rookie
And1: 1,045

Post#13 » by sjballer03 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:05 am

Brace yourselves. The Barnes haters are coming.

I imagine those that want KD are already lining up Barnes' contract as a potential obstacle when it doesn't really work like that.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#14 » by OptionZero » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:07 pm

likashing wrote:Ezeli is not worth $10-12m. Koufos is just $8.25m per. Jordan Hill $5m for 1 year. That's the tier Ezeli is in. $10-12m you are talking about Asik money, or just a little bit below Chandler/Robin Lopez.

There are so many centers next summer, Motiejunas, Drummond, Horford, Whiteside, Mozgov, and even Dwight if he opts out. Ezeli won't get any attention and I'd rather let him become a RFA if he cannot be extended. Not at $10-12m.

I think Barnes is more likely to get an RFA offer which we don't want to match than Ezeli. So it is more important to see if we can get Barnes to extend for a favorable/trade-able deal first.

You must be joking. Ezeli in Koufos and hill tier? Koufos is far less athletic, Hill is trash, even the Lakers didn't want him.

3/4 of the league will have cap space, with some teams below the salary floor. Unless he gets hurt, Ezeli is getting an offer sheet in the range of 10-12M annually.

With Bogut older, it makes sense to retain him if possible at that rate (or better, if possible). Speights and Thompson can't do what he does, Looney is too far away, and Mcadoo is a thin PF. Did you watch the Finals? Ezeli fits our scheme perfectly as a mobile, long big who can defend both in the post and also from the weak side. He has a ton of room to grow on offense but he's shown way more than expected and his decision making will only improve with time under our coaching staff

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums mobile app
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#15 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:05 pm

The market for players is so unsettled because of the big increases in the cap. What someone made last summer is pretty irellevant. I am sure there are going to be crazy salaries thrown around for average players, if the Warriors see these two as core pieces they ought to bite the bullet and re-sign them now because prices are only going up.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#16 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:The market for players is so unsettled because of the big increases in the cap. What someone made last summer is pretty irellevant. I am sure there are going to be crazy salaries thrown around for average players, if the Warriors see these two as core pieces they ought to bite the bullet and re-sign them now because prices are only going up.

I believe that's what will happen. The hang up may be whether or not Barnes agent will talk Barnes into waiting for next off seasons bonanza. And then will the Warriors be willing to match. He will get the 12-14 million per offers whether we think that's fair or not.

As close fans we see more of Barnes and may be more critical. Gms around the league on losing teams tend to look at age, upsides, and the fact that he was a piece who played major minutes on a Championship team, will factor in to their chances of offering him a big number.

So does Barnes agent allow him to resign early in October this season? Or are the Warriors willing to match a large open market offer next off-season?

Deli on the other hand will be extended this October. Him sitting out the previous season with injury, and then last year playing a minimal role until the end of the year, will work in the Warriors favor, and Ezeli will be fine with an early payday at his age as well. 26 is no spring chicken in today's NBA.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
NBAfan3024
RealGM

Post#17 » by NBAfan3024 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:58 pm

Better get it done soon as if HB has a big year that will drive that price up a fair amount.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,255

Post#18 » by Onus » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:12 pm

NBAfan3024 wrote:Better get it done soon as if HB has a big year that will drive that price up a fair amount.

If Barnes has a big year that means we'll be winning another championship and at that point pay that man his money.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#19 » by HiRez » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:17 am

Why would there be "Hell to pay" for keeping a championship team together? Durant is a pipe dream. Sure, don't rule it out, see what happens, but counting on it happening is absurd, regardless of whether Barnes and Ezeli are extended or not.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#20 » by ChuckDurn » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:00 am

azwfan wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:
watch1958 wrote:Sad but true. I could imagine the team winning 3 rings in the next 5 years, but there would still be people mad if they didn't get KD.

Yep. Which is crazy.

Honestly, i think we got a chance to win titles with the team we got. I'm not convinced gutting it for Durant gets us to a higher level. If we're just talking about Barnes and Ezeli, then of course - gotta do that. But if we're talking about Barnes, Ezeli, needing to dump Livingston and dump one of Bogut/Iguodala. I'm not so sure about that. Actually at this point, i am sure - no.

I want to win titles. I could care less if we put together an all star team if we're not winning titles. I know this team can win titles... i don't know about a Durant led team... furthermore, as Chuck says, i don't even think we're the favorite to land him.

I agree that getting Barnes and Ezeli on good deals should be a priority but for a slightly different reason. Flexibility. There are limitations on spending. Even if the owners don't care about how much money they spend. The CBA limits teams with the salary cap, the luxury tax, and the apron. Getting good deals for all our players should be a priority so when Bogut/Iguodala are on their last leg here, we can replace them with quality players. And that goes for all our players.

I know its all the rage these days to view everyone as an asset... which its ridiculous. Draft picks are assets. The players on the team are parts of a championship machine. And right now, the machine is moving nicely. If there's a chance to upgrade the part... great. But the part has gotta fit, and you better be careful (and know what you are doing) upgrading your transmission when the one you've got won you a title. Otherwise, you can end up like the Mavs.

Let me slightly clarify my comments. I want to make sure we sign up Barnes and Ezeli on good deals, not because I plan to use them as assets to trade..... but should it be necessary or desirable to do so, it would be easier do so. That would be plan B, though if a guy like Durant says he'll come and we can get him without gutting the team, then trading one or both of them could become plan A.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?

Return to Golden State Warriors