ImageImageImageImageImage

Where do we need improvement? Thread

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Where do we need improvement? Thread 

Post#1 » by Kuya » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:56 pm

We're off to a hot 11-0 start and without a doubt the best team in the league, the best offense, and usually the best defense. Still, there's ALWAYS room for improvement and that's what this thread is for and to discuss.
rcfc1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,586

Re: Where do we need improvement? Thread 

Post#2 » by rcfc1 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Kuya wrote:We're off to a hot 11-0 start and without a doubt the best team in the league, the best offense, and usually the best defense. Still, there's ALWAYS room for improvement and that's what this thread is for and to discuss.

Our offense seems pretty dependent on a single player. Not totally, but an offensive 6th man would be nice. Barbosa has done alright, but I'd like someone better. I always thought Rodney Stuckey would be a type fit. Probably not anymore, but someone like that.
floppymoose wrote:I'm starting to see the value of adding Durant.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#3 » by Money_ » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:26 pm

We're 11-0 we are perfect in every way! lol

Honestly, there are a few things to keep an eye on.

- keeping the defensive intensity high. Only times we've been in trouble during the first 11 games is when we've had a lack of defensive intensity.
- Watch the turnovers. Only a couple of games where we started to turnover at a higher rate, but still something to keep in check.
- Continue having a solid "curry-less" game plan. In that, while Steph is sitting or being doubled, we have a solid go-to to make up for his points. So far 1-2 others have stepped up each game. But I'd love to see us develop a "sure thing" (i.e. like the Mo train last season) we can ride, and potentially force teams to not double Steph...
- Free throws. teams are going to be more aggressive against the champs and steph and others should start getting star calls. We should be going to the line more often and therefore free throws will play a bigger role in our wins. So the entire team (maybe not steph) especially those in at crunch time (Iggy), need to improve their FT %.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,092

Post#4 » by The-Power » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Money_ wrote:- Continue having a solid "curry-less" game plan. In that, while Steph is sitting or being doubled, we have a solid go-to to make up for his points. So far 1-2 others have stepped up each game. But I'd love to see us develop a "sure thing" (i.e. like the Mo train last season) we can ride, and potentially force teams to not double Steph...

This is exactly what happened, namely the Curry/Green PnR with the evolution of Green as a playmaker.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#5 » by lars_rosenberg » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:50 pm

We need a good bench scorer.
Mo was the man last season and he's been terrible this season. Barbosa is declining, too.
Results are still great, but the starters have to play more minutes which may backfire at the end of the season.
Someone like Evan Fournier or Alec Burks would be awesome.

Does a trade Fournier for Barnes make sense? We would move Iggy to the starting lineup and have a very good scorer off the bench who can play the 2 and the 3. Both players are RFA at the end of the season and could be traded.
Tbh I'd rather pay Fournier than Barnes.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#6 » by Warriorfan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:51 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:We need a good bench scorer.
Mo was the man last season and he's been terrible this season. Barbosa is declining, too.
Results are still great, but the starters have to play more minutes which may backfire at the end of the season.

Does a trade Fournier for Barnes make sense? We would move Iggy to the starting lineup and have a very good scorer off the bench who can play the 2 and the 3. Both players are RFA at the end of the season and could be traded.
Tbh I'd rather pay Fournier than Barnes.

The squad is defense oriented first. If a player replaces Barnes that person has to be able to guard the Gasols and Zbos plus be an efficient scorer from 3.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#7 » by azwfan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:27 pm

I agree we need a bench scorer, but probably shouldn't be looking at guys that are going to cost a big piece to acquire. The guys you list are productive AND are young so there is perceived potential and that usually costs. The highest rotation guys i'd be ok with moving are Speights and Barbosa (and thats only to return a bench scorer).

Its tough to know who will be available because the season is just beginning and we don't know how the standings will shake out by the trade deadline. I would guess guys on these teams will be available:
BKN (Thad Young, Jack)
New Orleans (Anderson)
LAL (who knows)

If Milwaukee struggles Jarrd Bayless or OJ Mayo (if healthy) may be available.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,864

Post#8 » by 510TWSS » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:59 pm

Alec Burks is playing too well for Utah to part with him anytime soon.
Kuya
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by Kuya » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:47 pm

Kevin Martin off the bench would be prime.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,150

Post#10 » by cpower » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:10 pm

This team goes as far as Curry goes. So developing a working game plan in PS is critical. They will double team Curry on everything and force others to take shots.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#11 » by turk3d » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:02 pm

If Barnes could recover his 3 pt shot and Klay gets his offense going again (consistency is the key work imo for both those guys). Also wouldn't hurt for Speights to get his J back either. Fortunately for us thus far, all those guys are doing the job on D. We're doing pretty good as it is, but if those guys could reclaim their jumpers, we'd be even more unbeatable.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
BIG FURB
Sixth Man
And1: 134

Post#12 » by BIG FURB » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:07 pm

So far the only improvement that needs to be made is Klay and Mo's level of play this season
Kuya
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by Kuya » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:26 pm

We are now 4th in defense behind Spurs, Heat and Celtics.

We can improve in that department even though we are elite there.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#14 » by Coxy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:55 am

This thread starts and ends with Jason Thompson's footwork.
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#15 » by cladden » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:02 am

azwfan wrote:

I agree we need a bench scorer, but probably shouldn't be looking at guys that are going to cost a big piece to acquire. The guys you list are productive AND are young so there is perceived potential and that usually costs. The highest rotation guys i'd be ok with moving are Speights and Barbosa (and thats only to return a bench scorer).

Its tough to know who will be available because the season is just beginning and we don't know how the standings will shake out by the trade deadline. I would guess guys on these teams will be available:
BKN (Thad Young, Jack)
New Orleans (Anderson)
LAL (who knows)

If Milwaukee struggles Jarrd Bayless or OJ Mayo (if healthy) may be available.

Bayless is entirely too punchable to trade for. I can't stand the dude's face.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by lars_rosenberg » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:05 am

Maybe New Orleans can offload a few contracts and tank hard this season.
Ryan Anderson would be great, but he's an expiring so they may be less inclined to trade him. I can't find a good way to match his 8 millions.
Tyreke Evans, who has two years at 10 millions, would be easier to get. Jason Thompson + Speights would save them a lot of money next season and while Tyreke isn't a good starter, he's great off the bench.
He can play poing guard, shooting guard or small forward and I think he could also be used as a trade piece next offseason, being on a relatively cheap contract with the new cap and expiring.
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#17 » by weekend_warrior » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:23 pm

I am with you on the Tyreke Evans bandwaggon. Always liked this guy. I think he could bring the required scoring punch from the bench and is also a good drive-and-kick facilitator. 3p shooting of the bench might be an issue but one could try to tweak the rotations a little.

Speights, Thompson and a little asset (far future second or something) might get it done. Pels won't go anywhere this season.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#18 » by Left*My*Heart » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:41 pm

The team needs for guys to step up, but I am against making any trade. Chemistry is a very nice thing to have and this team is so deep that guys can miss some time (except for Curry) and not hurt the team. Last season we watched Livingston take almost the first half of the season to get healthy and playing like he did in the finals. We had Dre who had issues with his shot all season and this season he is really stroking it.

Klay is nursing a bad back, that might take some time for him to recover from, but he is still contributing on the defensive end.

This team is better than last seasons team at the same point in time and the reason behind is that is Curry, Green and Dre are playing their best basketball. They are learning how to play with leads and rest, which can be a dangerous thing, but they are so good, their only opposition is themselves.
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#19 » by Badly Browned » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:08 pm

Much of the Warriors holes can be filled in-house.

Barbosa and Speights have started the season with poor scoring efficiency and turnovers. If/when they round to form the bench scoring looks better. Maybe Myers can find suitable replacements for them, but I would rather not give up valuable assets just to upgrade our 10-11 guys in the rotation.

Barnes and Klay need to start making threes again, and the team has been buoyed by Iguodala and Green shooting 40% so far this season.

The Warriors don't have much at PF after Green and Barnes, at least PFs that fit their mold of contesting the perimeter and post and hitting 3s. Maybe Kevon Looney will be that guy, but we won't know for a year.

Otherwise, seems to me most of it is just mental things. Lapses in concentration on both offense and defense leading to periods of spastic turnovers and pace killing fouls.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by lars_rosenberg » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:29 pm

Kevon Looney is an exciting prospect because if he pans out he'll be the perfect backup 4 / smallball 4, which is the main reason why we need to keep Barnes.
Id love to see him playing meaningful minutes at the end of the season so that he can be considered when we'll decide if we match Barnes offer sheet or not.
The SF spot isn't that big of an issue, we already have Iguadala who can step into the starting lineup again.

Return to Golden State Warriors