ImageImageImageImageImage

Anybody on your draft radar? (First Round 2016 Pick)

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Re: Anybody on your draft radar? (First Round 2016 Pick) 

Post#161 » by azwfan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:10 am

ChuckDurn wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
azwfan wrote:
I only saw the Draft Express stuff on him and i wasn't impressed. What makes him special?

Beyond the obvious of the 7 footer who can get out on the break and even handle a bit, what I really like is the passing. He has good vision and I could see eventually running offense through him.

But with his size, he appears to be versatile. Doing a bit of everything. Has good range too.

Great frame and looks like a bit of muscle will easily come with age.

I see him playing center with Draymond at 4 and them just killing it. Running jumping shooting passing rebounding blocking shots and playing D.? What's not to like?

Caveat: I'm in China currently, so I don't have the luxury of looking at videos or many websites to see this myself. (i.e. I'm not just being lazy.....)

The way you describe Maker, he kind of sounds like a young Garnett, but with a thicker frame to put on more bulk. Garnett got super-strong, but was always really lean. Is that a decent description? And does he look to have that kind of potential?

Chuck: From what i saw, i think Garnett or Jermaine O'Neal (rookie year) is a good comparison physically. I'm not sure he looks as tough as Garnett, but he seems like he works his tail off on the court, so i like that about young prospects.

Mylie: His weakness video really turned me off cause it seems like he doesn't have any idea what he's doing on either side of the court. (Paraphrasing) "Can block shots but not a natural shot blocker" (shows video of him not even challenging a driver as he waltz's in for a layup). "Fails to box out" (A guy who looks to be a foot shorter than him gets the rebound because he didnt put his body on him). Can handle but not as well as he think he can (dribbles the ball up court looking good till he dribbles off his foot, followed by a video where he makes a nice rebound, starts the break and throws the ball 6-8 feet behind his intended teammate on the break). Forces passes that aren't there (trys to make a one handed cross court pass along the baseline through 3 defenders). Struggles with simple plays (lazy simple pass out on the top).

I don't know that i want to wait around 3-4 years in the hopes that he does learn. I'm not even sure what the upside is if he does get it. He can shoot a jumper, but it doesnt look especially good. He's 7'1" playing at HS level and he is averaging 11 pts and 6 rebounds. This doesn't exactly get me thinking he's got a ton of upside.

Obviously, i'm basing my opinion off of video clips someone else put together so it really isn't worth much, but overall i didn't see a lot to get excited about. And equally as obvious... its likely that whoever we pick at 30 won't be very good anyways... late picks usually don't turn out.

I suppose if we resign both Barnes and Ezeli then i'd be more okay with a long term project type pick (which is what i saw when i watched his videos - granted this is absolute minimal information to go on), but i was thinking @ 30 a more slam dunk pick would be someone we could get on the court for us next year or at least capable of getting on the court for us. We already got 1 project (Looney) taking up a roster spot... i wasn't thinking of taking on another.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#162 » by Onus » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:22 am

azwfan wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Beyond the obvious of the 7 footer who can get out on the break and even handle a bit, what I really like is the passing. He has good vision and I could see eventually running offense through him.

But with his size, he appears to be versatile. Doing a bit of everything. Has good range too.

Great frame and looks like a bit of muscle will easily come with age.

I see him playing center with Draymond at 4 and them just killing it. Running jumping shooting passing rebounding blocking shots and playing D.? What's not to like?

Caveat: I'm in China currently, so I don't have the luxury of looking at videos or many websites to see this myself. (i.e. I'm not just being lazy.....)

The way you describe Maker, he kind of sounds like a young Garnett, but with a thicker frame to put on more bulk. Garnett got super-strong, but was always really lean. Is that a decent description? And does he look to have that kind of potential?

Chuck: From what i saw, i think Garnett or Jermaine O'Neal (rookie year) is a good comparison physically. I'm not sure he looks as tough as Garnett, but he seems like he works his tail off on the court, so i like that about young prospects.

Mylie: His weakness video really turned me off cause it seems like he doesn't have any idea what he's doing on either side of the court. (Paraphrasing) "Can block shots but not a natural shot blocker" (shows video of him not even challenging a driver as he waltz's in for a layup). "Fails to box out" (A guy who looks to be a foot shorter than him gets the rebound because he didnt put his body on him). Can handle but not as well as he think he can (dribbles the ball up court looking good till he dribbles off his foot, followed by a video where he makes a nice rebound, starts the break and throws the ball 6-8 feet behind his intended teammate on the break). Forces passes that aren't there (trys to make a one handed cross court pass along the baseline through 3 defenders). Struggles with simple plays (lazy simple pass out on the top).

I don't know that i want to wait around 3-4 years in the hopes that he does learn. I'm not even sure what the upside is if he does get it. He can shoot a jumper, but it doesnt look especially good. He's 7'1" playing at HS level and he is averaging 11 pts and 6 rebounds. This doesn't exactly get me thinking he's got a ton of upside.

Obviously, i'm basing my opinion off of video clips someone else put together so it really isn't worth much, but overall i didn't see a lot to get excited about. And equally as obvious... its likely that whoever we pick at 30 won't be very good anyways... late picks usually don't turn out.

I suppose if we resign both Barnes and Ezeli then i'd be more okay with a long term project type pick (which is what i saw when i watched his videos - granted this is absolute minimal information to go on), but i was thinking @ 30 a more slam dunk pick would be someone we could get on the court for us next year or at least capable of getting on the court for us. We already got 1 project (Looney) taking up a roster spot... i wasn't thinking of taking on another.

Maker has such huge bust potential. The only thing keeping him as a prospect is hype and physical frame. His actual skills aren't even dominating hs kids in a 7' body. I'd easily pass.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#163 » by cdubbz » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:52 am

i'm not familiar with anyone late in the draft. wish i was.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#164 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:34 pm

cdubbz wrote:i'm not familiar with anyone late in the draft. wish i was.

Me too, therefore I think we should draft Some Euro Guy.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#165 » by East Bay Sports » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:28 pm

I used to do a lot of research during the playoffs on the draft because I had nothing better to do as a Dubs fan... now we expect to be playing right up to the draft. Surreal.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#166 » by cdubbz » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:26 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:

I used to do a lot of research during the playoffs on the draft because I had nothing better to do as a Dubs fan... now we expect to be playing right up to the draft. Surreal.

True, plus it was easier to research lottery picks because they were high profile college athletes and international players. Now you really have to dig deep to know these late 1st rounders and early 2nd rounders.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Lone Star
Junior
And1: 51

Post#167 » by Lone Star » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:02 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:

Me too, therefore I think we should draft Some Euro Guy.

Petr Cornelie!!!!
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#168 » by Duke4life831 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:31 pm

Thought Id bump this with the combine today. A couple guys I wouldnt mind us looking at is Brogdon, Newman, Felder, Layman, Payton, Bentil, Maker, Zimmerman and Qui. I think Brogdon fits perfectly with our guards, not to athletic though but really good defender and really improving his jumper. I still like Newman's potential, hes a tiny 2 guard but hes really athletic and can shoot it. Definitely more wing and guard players but a few big guys that might be worth looking at.

Felder is my steal of the draft, I think he can be more than just a solid rotation player, I think he can be a really good starter in the NBA
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#169 » by Kuya » Sun May 15, 2016 6:43 pm

I'm all aboard the Zhou Qi express

He can stroke from 3 and he has strong potential to be a rim protector. His defense keeps increasing every year and he's got that 7'7' wingspan.

Centers who can protect the rim and shoot 3's is the future. Why not gamble a low-risk/high-reward pick on a potential center like that?

(he's stronger and adding muscle btw)
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#170 » by Kuya » Sun May 15, 2016 7:12 pm

Also, in terms of marketing wise.

If Zhou Qi were to join Golden State, that would make Steph's star that much bigger and China would support Golden State. Merchandise sales would increase 1000%.
BaggageHandler
Junior
And1: 62

Post#171 » by BaggageHandler » Sun May 15, 2016 8:41 pm

We need to find our Nikola Jokic.

I'm well aware that Nedovic was a bust, but he's a guard. Almost every guard form europe sucks.

Bigs doesn't - Jokic, Capela, Lauvergne, Mirotic, Nurkic, Gobert, Porzingis etc. So many talent. Even some late firsts/2nd rounders there.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#172 » by old rem » Mon May 16, 2016 3:31 pm

cdubbz wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:

True, plus it was easier to research lottery picks because they were high profile college athletes and international players. Now you really have to dig deep to know these late 1st rounders and early 2nd rounders.
Right....It was a big deal to check out our next pick. I probably saw less college ball than usual. I see raw big men and obscure Euros as apt to fail. I'd prefer a guy with some known skills + tools, solid work ethic,fundamentals Defensive effort. Team attitude.

I want good odds the guy can PLAY, will have a good chance to become "rotation" . Once Healthy.. Looney is EXPECTED to have the stuff to be playing. Hard to guess who we retain,who escapes. I expect we'd try to keep MOST of who we have. I don't want to park a guy in the D League or on the bench.
CENSORED... No comment.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#173 » by old rem » Mon May 16, 2016 4:14 pm

My policy has been to let the SCOUTS deal with Euros. A US college guy playing major level... I can see full game logs. I can see PROGRESS (or lack of). I know the competition is legit.

I've seen on the mock sites write ups where the guy seems to have it all...then....he'd played a dozen games in a second tier league... got 6 ppg and 4 boards. WTF? Is he even on the floor with ANYONE who has an NBA future? You REALLY need a legit expert to GO there.. see the guy, do background. Otherwise.. you get Darko.. or Nedovic or another future dud. There's college guys who faced Duke,Kentucky,Villanova,UNC,Mich St.. etc. A tall skinny Chinese kid? Who did he play in China? Some kid in a Serbian minor league?

Remember when Thabeet had BIG hype? Well... there was no learning curve, no work habits. If I'd had his tools....omg. If a LOT of guys had his tools....

I saw a mock...Labissiere went ahead of Valentine? REALLY? Where I'm at UK is considered one of our regional teams. Labissiier, really never showed much. Soft, low effort, didn't step up. He OUGHT to have stayed in school. Calipari can coach bigs...the kid wanted to cash in ASAP, not become a REAL player. Eventually.. he might be okay. I seen so MANY guys sink or swim. I did not see what keeps him afloat. Valentine? May not be hyper athlete or Pure Shooter but the guy is a PLAYER..a WINNER. He will WORK. FWIW.....he will go higher than the Mocks say. He's sort of a smaller Dray Green, and NOW... a few GMS will want that. Wingspan is nice, hops are nice but what's between the ears is IMPORTANT. At 30...I expect GSW is looking at guys who got good stuff between the ears.
CENSORED... No comment.
kaiballz
Bench Warmer
And1: 666

Post#174 » by kaiballz » Mon May 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Kuya wrote:Also, in terms of marketing wise.

If Zhou Qi were to join Golden State, that would make Steph's star that much bigger and China would support Golden State. Merchandise sales would increase 1000%.

reminds me of porzingis

will he fall to us though? i dun tink hes top 10 pick but surely top 20
kaiballz wrote:if anyone can make this comeback (3-1), we can.

I believe in this team.

Wed May 25, 2016 (GSW vs OKC)
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#175 » by Mylie10 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:47 pm

I still think if Thon Maker is there, you have to take him. However I don't see him being there. So in that case its BPA, but I'd like BPA that can play right away if possible. I'd like a roatation guy, if there isn't a real good project to take.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#176 » by GS Warriors 1 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:15 pm

Feel like we may need an end of the bench role player here. Not sure this is the spot for projects unless they have some plans for FA.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#177 » by Phase 3 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:24 pm

Prince Ibeh kinda reminds me of Ezeli. Great size and athleticism but really raw...might be worth the roll of the dice if you can buy a second round pick.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#178 » by ChuckDurn » Wed May 18, 2016 2:33 am

Kuya wrote:Also, in terms of marketing wise.

I mentioned this in another thread..... I go to China fairly frequently for work. The last time I was there, I was talking with a young lady (probably in her mid-20's)..... asked her what she knew about American basketball, and she said "I love Curry..... he's so cute!"

She'd heard of Kobe Bryant, but that was it. No Lebron, KD, etc.......

So I think with their recent success, as well as the fact that they went and played in China a couple of summers ago, they already are doing pretty well there. Not to say that Zhou Qi wouldn't help them there, but I think the Warriors have already established themselves pretty well.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#179 » by ChuckDurn » Wed May 18, 2016 2:36 am

Mylie10 wrote:I still think if Thon Maker is there, you have to take him. However I don't see him being there. So in that case its BPA, but I'd like BPA that can play right away if possible. I'd like a roatation guy, if there isn't a real good project to take.

I'm 100% on-board, unless there's somebody who really falls from projections and is there at 30.....
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#180 » by Coxy » Wed May 18, 2016 2:51 am

ChuckDurn wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:I still think if Thon Maker is there, you have to take him. However I don't see him being there. So in that case its BPA, but I'd like BPA that can play right away if possible. I'd like a roatation guy, if there isn't a real good project to take.

I'm 100% on-board, unless there's somebody who really falls from projections and is there at 30.....

Having Bogut here as well would help Thon out massively.

Return to Golden State Warriors