ImageImageImageImageImage

Reality sets in. Adjustments.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Re: Reality sets in. Adjustments. 

Post#21 » by HiRez » Mon May 23, 2016 9:32 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:I am going to predict that the Warriors win the next game, with Green playing. I don't expect them to play back to back turd games.

I expect it as well, but as I've said before, they can not afford to keep trading games. Essentially that means that both of the next 2 games are must-win games. Not technically of course, but from a practical standpoint they really don't want to be heading back to OKC facing elimination. At some point they need to start playing consistently good ball, in every game and for all 48 minutes, not just turning it on in spurts when they get down. Eventually the on switch isn't going to work (it didn't yesterday) and they're screwed.
DreDay
General Manager
And1: 3,212

Post#22 » by DreDay » Mon May 23, 2016 9:54 pm

HiRez wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:This is the first time I've been alarmed in the last 2 postseasons. Kerr is being outcoached. Whatever he comes up with in game 4 needs to work or a lot of this series loss is on him. He had no answer to Donovan's adjustments from game 2 and it was embarrassing.

I am disappointed they (the Warriors coaching staff) hadn't anticipated adjustments being made, and had a "Plan B" ready. They clearly had no Plan B. To Kerr's credit, he owned up to not having the team prepared for the game, but they need to have a few tricks/wrinkles ready to implement mid-game instead of chalking up a loss and waiting for the next game, because they are running out of time and trading games is not a viable strategy for them right now.

That sounds like Mark Jackson stuff from Kerr :noway:

Good he owned up to it, but how does this even happen? Did he think we'd sleepwalk to a title or win in OKC? This better be a dose of reality for the team.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#23 » by shazam_guy » Mon May 23, 2016 11:26 pm

I agree with most of what Coxy said, but the rest of you -- jeez, whining much? Kerr is horrible because you say so? We're doomed because you say so? Thunder are playing the best they've played in years, right in the middle of the playoffs, and have two of the best offensive players of the last decade or so. Yeah, the Warriors suck because they're having trouble getting past that.

Soon it's going to be, "We shouldn't have gone for the single-season record", or "We should have picked up Nick Young" or some other bullsh*t."

It's a tough sport. They're playing at the very highest level of it. Win or lose, they've been a wonderful team and the most fun we've had in Bay Area basketball for thirty years or more. Quit panicking. And quit thinking YOU have the answer.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#24 » by HiRez » Mon May 23, 2016 11:31 pm

shazam_guy wrote:I agree with most of what Coxy said, but the rest of you -- jeez, whining much? Kerr is horrible because you say so?

Who said Kerr is "horrible"? No one said that. Stop exaggerating. Maybe he could have prepared the team better for the game, that's all anyone is saying and Kerr said it about himself after the game.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,847

Post#25 » by Plossum » Mon May 23, 2016 11:40 pm

We look tired which is why I think Kerr is reaching so far into the bench. Not to be a negative Nancy but we look out of steam and the thunder are riding their hot streak. We were in similar spots last playoffs and pulled it out but we weren't playing a team the caliber of the current thunder.
#LockUpChuck
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#26 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon May 23, 2016 11:51 pm

Plossum wrote:We look tired which is why I think Kerr is reaching so far into the bench. Not to be a negative Nancy but we look out of steam and the thunder are riding their hot streak. We were in similar spots last playoffs and pulled it out but we weren't playing a team the caliber of the current thunder.

I don't see us looking tired, or at least not more tired than last season this time. I see us trying to beat a team by playing at a pace that they are at least as comfortable as we are playing at. Kerr has two choices: slow the pace down and try to play tough as nails half court ball or ramp the pace up even faster and try to play at a speed that not even OKC is comfortable playing at. Is that even possible? I don't know but if Kerr wanted to play even faster I would be so jazzed up. The thought of getting into OKC's collective head by running them off the court gets me pumped up.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
BayAreaFan
Junior
And1: 111

Post#27 » by BayAreaFan » Mon May 23, 2016 11:58 pm

So far I've noticed that okc is the only team that could consistently run and sometimes outrun us in a game. They've done it somewhat game one and totally did last game. It's not our style of play but should we slow the pace at times against them?
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#28 » by OptionZero » Tue May 24, 2016 12:01 am

I'm saying it. Kerr's rotations have been horrible all post season long. There is zero reason to play Varejao or Barbosa, they are simply outclassed.

Stemming from that problem are two things:
Ezeli hasn't gotten the minutes to get any sort of flow with starters, as a result has botched offensive assignments. basically he's a nervous wreck until he's about 4-5 min.
Clark has been better at moving the ball and taking care of the ball than Barbosa, and he hasn't played much

Also, Bogut clearly is not the same. He's not defnding the rim and he's struggling to finish. He costs us in transition too, since he's never running back. It has to be his legs or back - he's not moving great and his instincts aren't enough to make up for the lack of footspeed.

The shot selection stems from multiple things:
1) Curry's not all back
2) Klay/Dray feel the need to force things to make up for it and are jacking up bad shots or making bad drives into static defenses
3) Barnes incapable of beating guys off the dribble so he's settling for quick long jumpers.

Alot of the cutting has gone unrewarded. OKC is playing good D, but we're giving up way too easily.

Curry is not on the ball - thats on Kerr to just tell them to go 1-4 pick and roll (or 1-5 pick and roll). Elbow sets, elevators, blah blah blah all great over the regular season. When the offense bogs down, more complicated is not better. The Curry/Green pick and roll is the most lethal play in basketball, just go with that.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#29 » by OptionZero » Tue May 24, 2016 12:02 am

BayAreaFan wrote:So far I've noticed that okc is the only team that could consistently run and sometimes outrun us in a game. They've done it somewhat game one and totally did last game. It's not our style of play but should we slow the pace at times against them?

This is partially personnel and partially mental. Bogut/Varejao do not run the floor.

The entire team is also lingering too much swiping at the ball, or falling down, or bitching at the refs - all instead of getting their asses back on defense.

I would say much of that is on Kerr
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#30 » by ILOVEIT » Tue May 24, 2016 12:18 am

Bottom line...if you let Durant and Westbrook drive to the rim over and over again....night night. Period.

Warriors have to do a better job on transition and turn Westbrook and Durant's drives into TOs and run it back down their throats.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#31 » by likashing » Tue May 24, 2016 1:23 am

I like how we played in game 3 until "The Kick". The ball was moving. We were taking good shots. The shots just weren't falling. We weren't getting FTs, Draymond collapsed and the ball stopped moving, and we all know what happened after "The Kick".

I felt if we kept our composure and kept playing the same way like the first 18 minutes, we would have a chance.

So what's my solution? Start Iguodala instead of HB. This way we have 3 ball movers on the court (Steph+Draymond+Iguodala). Klay and Draymond easily fall into bad habits of not moving the ball and just taking the first shot available.

This will mean Iguodala and Steph will need to play more minutes, but we are dead anyway if we go 1-3, so why not do this now.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#32 » by marthafokker » Tue May 24, 2016 2:00 am

likashing wrote:I like how we played in game 3 until "The Kick". The ball was moving. We were taking good shots. The shots just weren't falling. We weren't getting FTs, Draymond collapsed and the ball stopped moving, and we all know what happened after "The Kick".

I felt if we kept our composure and kept playing the same way like the first 18 minutes, we would have a chance.

So what's my solution? Start Iguodala instead of HB. This way we have 3 ball movers on the court (Steph+Draymond+Iguodala). Klay and Draymond easily fall into bad habits of not moving the ball and just taking the first shot available.

This will mean Iguodala and Steph will need to play more minutes, but we are dead anyway if we go 1-3, so why not do this now.

Yup.
Might as well play next year's starting lineup now.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#33 » by BROWN » Tue May 24, 2016 3:45 am

I don't think they were ready obviously for the OKC home court. They'll adjust and win, keep the rotations short, and move that ball.

They have to decide if they will close out on Roberson or they just let him shoot. They can't be halfway on those, it killed us last game.

Using Dray as the roaver was a great idea, but it didn't look like we did at that at all last game.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#34 » by Mylie10 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:24 am

HiRez wrote:
shazam_guy wrote:I agree with most of what Coxy said, but the rest of you -- jeez, whining much? Kerr is horrible because you say so?

Who said Kerr is "horrible"? No one said that. Stop exaggerating. Maybe he could have prepared the team better for the game, that's all anyone is saying and Kerr said it about himself after the game.

Yeah...I think Kerr should remove the 2-23 shooting from his game plan. That didn't work. Must have been Luke's idea.

Kerr is just taking the bullet for the preparation statement. They were prepared, they just didn't execute and take good shots. Not to mention the Thunder are the hottest team in the League at this moment.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#35 » by East Bay Sports » Tue May 24, 2016 4:43 am

Mylie10 wrote:
HiRez wrote:

Yeah...I think Kerr should remove the 2-23 shooting from his game plan. That didn't work. Must have been Luke's idea.

:lol:
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#36 » by Coxy » Tue May 24, 2016 4:59 am

Kerr and most of all Ron Adams need to come up with a defensive approach to Durant that makes him struggle from the start. When Durant starts the game with 8-10 points in the 1st they just start rolling and his confidence skyrockets.

I remember playing games were an opponent would have a huge 1st half and be nigh unstoppable, so the coach would get "Igor" off the bench to be really physical with him to start the 2nd and rattle him. Maybe that's what is needed? We need someone to go all Delevadova on him from the beginning and be right up in his face 100% of the time. Don't let him breathe and when you foul him, you foul him hard.

I don't know if we have a player that could actually fill that role TBH.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#37 » by Mylie10 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:28 am

Coxy wrote:Kerr and most of all Ron Adams need to come up with a defensive approach to Durant that makes him struggle from the start. When Durant starts the game with 8-10 points in the 1st they just start rolling and his confidence skyrockets.

I remember playing games were an opponent would have a huge 1st half and be nigh unstoppable, so the coach would get "Igor" off the bench to be really physical with him to start the 2nd and rattle him. Maybe that's what is needed? We need someone to go all Delevadova on him from the beginning and be right up in his face 100% of the time. Don't let him breathe and when you foul him, you foul him hard.

I don't know if we have a player that could actually fill that role TBH.

I vote Draymond
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 213

Post#38 » by ChuckS » Tue May 24, 2016 5:35 am

OptionZero wrote:I'm saying it. Kerr's rotations have been horrible all post season long. There is zero reason to play Varejao or Barbosa, they are simply outclassed.

I was taught to try to begin with agreement. So let me preface this by admitting that I thought your idea was brilliant: that of waiting until the players return home for the summer and then building a huge wall all around Brazil -- and making the Brazilians pay for it.

I am somewhat conflicted, however. As a young lad I had a beloved relative who lived in Brazil for a while. She was great fun. My father would introduce her as: "My Aunt Josephine from Brazil...where the nuts come from."

So I admit to being confused by such animus about a deep bench player who didn't play in the first loss, was a plus two in 5 nice minutes in the win, and played only 4.5 minutes at a +2 in the disaster. And I'll just agree to disagree with your opinion of Barbosa. In a previous post you mentioned his wild carelessness. In reality he needs two games to make one turnover. Watch Steph and Draymond, who actually play more than fifteen minutes a game, sometime.

And while I sometimes disagree with your analysis, I applaud your hard work in thoroughly detailing your beliefs about that fiasco in OKC. But Kerr has been around long enough, I think, to expect to find anything too profound in that loss. His three best players averaged a minus 41, each, and his more preeminent bigs sucked.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,863

Post#39 » by 510TWSS » Tue May 24, 2016 5:47 am

Actually I think we really need to be playing Iguodala more. Right now Barnes is playing about 3 minutes more per game.

HB - 125 ORtg 117 DRtg
AI - 134 ORtg 106 DRtg

And another thing, Klay and Dray both need to pick it up offensively. They've been woeful.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#40 » by Impuniti » Tue May 24, 2016 5:49 am

Warriorfan wrote:The bench which had been stretched a little more than usual due to injuries has been a little sub part but still is our strength. Plus Bogut Curry and undersized Green need rest.

Sun was matter of Warrior starters having the occasional off night shooting and OKC superstars playing above the norm after sub par games.

GS just missed shots. Defense is another story.Transition after missed shots sucked.

Due to injuries Curry is not as good getting to the hoop. Durant is always open due to length. Westbrook had been a human one back break on missed shots and Curry being a little hurt. Like one sportswriter put Curry is playing like 32 year old Curry doe to leg injuries

Bogut is probably playing injured as well. Thompson has just been off missing open looks. He can heat up any game hopefully soon.

Green is struggling against Adams strength and size having to make tough shots.

The bench isn't a strength when you use 11-12 players in a WCF or final. It needs to be cut down. It will work every game here and there but not generally. There is no reason the main 3 should be playing under 38 minutes, but preferably they should be averaging 40-42 minutes a game. All of them are young.

Also Klay needs to watch some tape. Running into 3-4 players in the paint none of which are GS players while your entire team is open is not smart play. Move around the entire game and you will get easy looks. He was frustrating last game.

Return to Golden State Warriors