FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Re: Sorry, still playing GM re: Durant 

Post#21 » by FNQ » Mon Jul 4, 2016 9:15 pm

statsman wrote:
FNQ wrote:
statsman wrote:Durant really doesn't have to give up anything in order to re-sign Curry next offseason to his 30% max. Durant could get the full 35% max, if he chooses. Doing so puts the team right back in the same situation they are now, operating under the cap and dealing with mostly vet minimum contracts. Not a good way to build up a team, especially with the large cap spikes this season and next.

Yup, making it 100000x more important to hit on our next draft picks. This Vandy C and tall combo guard are good starts, though.

The +1 option gives Durant the ability to play ball with us, accept the +1, and give us a MLE to play with. I'm not sure how the MLE is generated - if it will be around 5/m annually or a % of the cap - but either way, that will be a tremendous help. Will he sacrifice a few million to do that? Remains to be seen, but I'd think so.

No 2017 #1 as of this post (owed to the Jazz). No 2nd until 2019 (pending the details of the Mavs trade for Bogut).

The full MLE is fixed in the CBA. $5.628M this season. $5.797M next season. Start to seriously lag the "average salary".

Well the MLE thing sucks. I can't even think of any salaries that were in that range so far this offseason, save Matt Barnes @ 2/12. Gonna be rough.

As for picks, so long as we can still buy some for 3m or so,, I'm fine with that. Won't hit on all of them, but if we can turn even 50% of them into rotational players, that'll go a long way.
Bandeazyy
Senior
And1: 578

Post#22 » by Bandeazyy » Mon Jul 4, 2016 9:21 pm

FNQ wrote:
statsman wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Yup, making it 100000x more important to hit on our next draft picks. This Vandy C and tall combo guard are good starts, though.

The +1 option gives Durant the ability to play ball with us, accept the +1, and give us a MLE to play with. I'm not sure how the MLE is generated - if it will be around 5/m annually or a % of the cap - but either way, that will be a tremendous help. Will he sacrifice a few million to do that? Remains to be seen, but I'd think so.

No 2017 #1 as of this post (owed to the Jazz). No 2nd until 2019 (pending the details of the Mavs trade for Bogut).

The full MLE is fixed in the CBA. $5.628M this season. $5.797M next season. Start to seriously lag the "average salary".

Well the MLE thing sucks. I can't even think of any salaries that were in that range so far this offseason, save Matt Barnes @ 2/12. Gonna be rough.

As for picks, so long as we can still buy some for 3m or so,, I'm fine with that. Won't hit on all of them, but if we can turn even 50% of them into rotational players, that'll go a long way.

Hope Kevon and Damian Jones will step up this season. Mccaw looks a gem for our system, lengthy and quick
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#23 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Jul 4, 2016 9:41 pm

statsman wrote:
BW32 wrote:
Bandeazyy wrote:Cool, Thanks for the clarification.

Knowing the FO, I doubt they would go cheap ass mode after all the moves we've made since they bought the team. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, IF KD doesn't take the 35% max and work out a deal along with Steph...Realistically how much cap space would it leave us?

We won't have caproom either way unless Durant left the team, capholds take care of that. The only difference really is the ability to keep our own players, in particular Shaun and Dre (if Durant took 35% you'd probably lose Shaun).

Iguodala is not retainable (under a $108M cap next season) if the plan is to re-sign Durant at his 35% max in 2017. He has a cap hold greater than $16M. Current estimates give the Warriors a bit less than $13M cap space with a 35% max for Durant.

Couldn't Iguodala sign a deal within $13mil prior to resigned Durant, thereby eliminating his cap hold?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#24 » by statsman » Mon Jul 4, 2016 9:46 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
statsman wrote:
BW32 wrote:
We won't have caproom either way unless Durant left the team, capholds take care of that. The only difference really is the ability to keep our own players, in particular Shaun and Dre (if Durant took 35% you'd probably lose Shaun).

Iguodala is not retainable (under a $108M cap next season) if the plan is to re-sign Durant at his 35% max in 2017. He has a cap hold greater than $16M. Current estimates give the Warriors a bit less than $13M cap space with a 35% max for Durant.

Couldn't Iguodala sign a deal within $13mil prior to resigned Durant, thereby eliminating his cap hold?

Hmmm, you may be right. Use Durant's $27.7M cap hold instead of his 35% max as a cap hold, renounce Livingston, re-sign Iguodala (up to $13M), then sign Durant at 35% max.

I really hope the plan I outlined in the OP becomes reality. It makes things a lot easier for the team next season.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#25 » by HiRez » Mon Jul 4, 2016 10:00 pm

I assume the plan is for McCaw to eventually replace Iguodala. Supposedly a lock down defender with offensive skills, great court vision, and length. In theory. We all love Iguodala but he's going to 33 in 6 months, even if you could afford him it's going to start to be a risky bet in the coming years. He's going to have to be replaced soon rather than later no matter what you think of him.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#26 » by Warriorfan » Mon Jul 4, 2016 10:12 pm

statsman wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
statsman wrote:Iguodala is not retainable (under a $108M cap next season) if the plan is to re-sign Durant at his 35% max in 2017. He has a cap hold greater than $16M. Current estimates give the Warriors a bit less than $13M cap space with a 35% max for Durant.

Hmmm, you may be right. Use Durant's $27.7M cap hold instead of his 35% max as a cap hold, renounce Livingston, re-sign Iguodala (up to $13M), then sign Durant at 35% max.

I really hope the plan I outlined in the OP becomes reality. It makes things a lot easier for the team next season.

If the warriors win the championship that they are expected to win they can have space.

Durant 30 maybe 1&1 again. early bird rights after 2 seasons.
Thompson 17.8
Green 16.4
looney 1.2
Jones 1
P Mc Caw 700 k
Strong 700 K
MLE 2.9
Curry Cap Hold 18
3 mins. 650

20 mil for one or two bigs.
Use MLE for Iggy.

Cap is 110.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#27 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Jul 4, 2016 10:28 pm

Warriorfan wrote:
statsman wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:

If the warriors win the championship that they are expected to win they can have space.

Durant 30 maybe 1&1 again. early bird rights after 2 seasons.
Thompson 17.8
Green 16.4
looney 1.2
Jones 1
P Mc Caw 700 k
Strong 700 K
MLE 2.9
Curry Cap Hold 18
3 mins. 650

20 mil for one or two bigs.
Use MLE for Iggy.

Cap is 110.

Isn't Durant's cap hold as a non-bird FA 120% of his previous year's salary?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
statsman
Analyst

Post#28 » by statsman » Mon Jul 4, 2016 10:31 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:Isn't Durant's cap hold as a non-bird FA 120% of his previous year's salary?

I think you are correct. The $27.7M cap hold listed is for his player option year. If (when) he opts out, it will be $31.85M (120% of $26.54M).
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#29 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Jul 4, 2016 10:37 pm

statsman wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:Isn't Durant's cap hold as a non-bird FA 120% of his previous year's salary?

I think you are correct. The $27.7M cap hold listed is for his player option year. If (when) he opts out, it will be $31.85M (120% of $26.54M).

I believe players must opt-out of their contracts prior to the start of free agency which means his cap figure will be $31,848,120, correct?
The hottest of takes...
statsman
Analyst

Post#30 » by statsman » Mon Jul 4, 2016 11:01 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
statsman wrote:

I believe players must opt-out of their contracts prior to the start of free agency which means his cap figure will be $31,848,120, correct?

That seems right.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#31 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Jul 4, 2016 11:20 pm

Klay $17,826,150
Dray $16,400,000
Kevon $1,233,840
Damian $1,224,240(120% of rookie scale to be on the safe side)
Patrick $905,249

(Jason Thompson $945,126)

KD's cap hold $31,848,120
Steph's cap hold $18,168,538.50
Dre's cap hold $16,697,052
Livingston's cap hold $10,986,655

Total payroll+cap holds that we know of at this time = $116,234,970.50

If we remove KD's cap hold we get down to $84,386,850.50, not enough cap space to resign him to his 35% max deal. If we renounce Livingston it reduces to $73,400,195.50. If the salary cap is exactly $108mil than it leaves us with $34,599,804.50 which falls well short of his 35% of the cap salary figure of $37.8mil. In that scenario, signing Dre to a deal starting at or less than $13,496,856.50(minus minimum salaries to get to 12 roster spots) prior to signing KD leaves us enough cap space to sign KD to his contract.
The hottest of takes...
virtuousoutlaw
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#32 » by virtuousoutlaw » Mon Jul 4, 2016 11:24 pm

I am a bit confused here. Why can't we keep Livingston, Durant and Iguodala after next year? Don't we have full bird rights to Livingston, and Iguodala next year? If Durant doesn't opt out, we should be able to exceed the salary cap to sign both Livingston and Iguodala. If Durant opts out, then we can't because he would want to sign a bigger deal and we would have to renounce the cap hold on either Livingston or Iguodala in order to fit Durant under the cap because we can't exceed the cap to sign Durant since we would only have his non-bird rights? Is that correct?
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#33 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Jul 4, 2016 11:42 pm

virtuousoutlaw wrote:I am a bit confused here. Why can't we keep Livingston, Durant and Iguodala after next year? Don't we have full bird rights to Livingston, and Iguodala next year? If Durant doesn't opt out, we should be able to exceed the salary cap to sign both Livingston and Iguodala. If Durant opts out, then we can't because he would want to sign a bigger deal and we would have to renounce the cap hold on either Livingston or Iguodala in order to fit Durant under the cap because we can't exceed the cap to sign Durant since we would only have his non-bird rights? Is that correct?

You're actually right. If Durant is willing to pick up his option next season and defer getting the 35% max deal he'll be entitled to as a 10 year vet until the following season than we can use the Early-Bird provision to sign him above the cap. He would be giving up more than $10mil in salary altogether because it's projected the cap will actually decline slightly for the 2018-19 season.
The hottest of takes...
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#34 » by turk3d » Mon Jul 4, 2016 11:52 pm

I think that the reality is that we really don't know (although all of this is good sepculation) and really is going to depend on how things work out between Durant and the team in general. It probably wil depend on what kind of a season we have, whether we win it all and how the rest of our guys do. Too many varulables but we'll see. Regardless, things are looking might fosy for both us and KD. I get the impression that KD is a team player (to go along with all his other positive attributes) so I expect he'll do what he thinks is right. Next season should be quite interesting. Of course, you know everyone is going to want us to lose and for KD to have a rough time of it.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#35 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jul 5, 2016 8:03 am

One thing is clear. Iguodala is an important piece to Curry and Durant. Both look up to him immensely. So they probably will be ok with some tweaks to keep him on board. And I don't think Iguodala is gonna play any type of hardball with money. I believe he'd like to retire here with these guys.

Losing Livingston would suck, but there are similar feelings about him, much like Iguodala. I'm not sure if money or a big payday might sway Shaun to look elsewhere. He might, and if that were the case he may leave.

Regardless, I think our front office realizes the importance of these pieces and will work things in away to make it happen.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Prius
Junior
And1: 324

Post#36 » by Prius » Tue Jul 5, 2016 9:31 am

TylerTurban wrote:Agreed - they're gonna make it work.

I do think, however, that Klay Thompson will eventually be traded within the next couple of years. We'll see.

Why? Unless the Warriors get a good or better replacement, Klay will and should stay. Lacob isn't a cheap ass loser owner like Thunder's owner. I think Lacob said he'd be happy to pay luxury tax if it was worth it and I think keeping the top 3 most stacked team of all time is a good reason to pay tax.
prech
Junior
And1: 65

Post#37 » by prech » Tue Jul 5, 2016 9:53 am

Really interesting topic. Nate Duncan and Danny Leroux tweeted, then later discussed it in today's Dunc'd On episode (excellent podcast, if anyone's not aware). Albert Nahmad (cap expert) also tweeted about it, so it may be simpler to visualize:

Dunc'd On guys were discussing how KD might opt to do multiple 1+1's until not only he'd be at the 35% (nominal only, it's actually ~33% of the cap in actual calculations), but at which point Dubs can offer him a full 5-year. If that's the case, the ~$31.8M will be much more palatable as far as cap flexibility goes.
statsman
Analyst

Post#38 » by statsman » Tue Jul 5, 2016 1:57 pm

prech wrote:Really interesting topic. Nate Duncan and Danny Leroux tweeted, then later discussed it in today's Dunc'd On episode (excellent podcast, if anyone's not aware). Albert Nahmad (cap expert) also tweeted about it, so it may be simpler to visualize:

Dunc'd On guys were discussing how KD might opt to do multiple 1+1's until not only he'd be at the 35% (nominal only, it's actually ~33% of the cap in actual calculations), but at which point Dubs can offer him a full 5-year. If that's the case, the ~$31.8M will be much more palatable as far as cap flexibility goes.

The multiple 1+1's is an interesting idea. Not sure Durant would do it, but it would benefit the Warriors in that they could keep re-signing him while staying over cap. More flexibility with the full MLE plus BAE instead of the Room MLE, although not as much as a few years ago. Unfortunately, with recent cap increases and the expected cap spike next season, the full MLE is starting to lag the average NBA salary by quite a bit.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#39 » by Warriorfan » Tue Jul 5, 2016 2:13 pm

There will be a new CBA so there should be a somewhat wait and see attitude to contracts.

Next off season is the last one where GS can take advantage of the current CBA which they have been masterful in cap management. I expect another big acquisition or more likely aquisitions next season.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#40 » by jason bourne » Tue Jul 5, 2016 4:24 pm

statsman wrote:
Bandeazyy wrote:Salary cap in general was always a bit over my head...so correct me if I'm wrong...

How much money would KD have to leave on the table for us to have a realistic figure for signing Curry once his contract is up for an extension?

Durant really doesn't have to give up anything in order to re-sign Curry next offseason to his 30% max. Durant could get the full 35% max, if he chooses. Doing so puts the team right back in the same situation they are now, operating under the cap and dealing with mostly vet minimum contracts. Not a good way to build up a team, especially with the large cap spikes this season and next.

I doubt KD is going to decide based on the $$$$$$$$s. He has said as much, although money is always in the discussion. It depends on whether the Warriors can win it all again. Teams break up from year-to-year and the situation changes. We got the resurgence and fall of some teams now. The key is to win another title and the Warriors will be THE FAVORITE. Last season, they were one of the favorites despite a ring the year before.

So, signing vets for the minimum is just the price you pay when one has THE SPLASH FAMILY now.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage

Return to Golden State Warriors