ImageImageImageImageImage

Is the bench depth a concern?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Is the bench depth a concern? 

Post#1 » by NBAfan3024 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:06 am

Alot of fans seem to think it is even though I don't think our bench is that much weaker from previous years.

Does it concern you?
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Re: Is the bench depth a concern? 

Post#2 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:23 am

We're not real deep like we have been in previous years. Bringing back Varejao helped us push it a bit since he's a vet. We go about 8 deep, Clark and McAdoo aren't great. The rookies like McCaw, Jones, and Looney are all unproven. I think front office is thinking we will always have 4 of our top 8 in the game and the less experienced guys just have to fill in at times. With the amount of minutes these guys will have to play I'm hoping we blow out teams early and then get the rookies some run. Letting some rookies develop is probably the right move for the franchise, last year's group didn't have much development potential.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#3 » by Coxy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:17 am

Not concerned. If our bench is still stinking at the mid way point of the season, Bob and Joe will address.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#4 » by statsman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:28 am

Coxy wrote:Not concerned. If our bench is still stinking at the mid way point of the season, Bob and Joe will address.

How? No cap space. No traded player exceptions. Only possible trade options involve Iguodala or Livingston. There's a good possibility many teams will have cap space at the trade deadline, making it difficult to compete with just the vet minimum.

I am not disagreeing they wouldn't try. I just see the Warriors having limited options the remainder of this season.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#5 » by Warriorfan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:34 am

statsman wrote:
Coxy wrote:Not concerned. If our bench is still stinking at the mid way point of the season, Bob and Joe will address.

How? No cap space. No traded player exceptions. Only possible trade options involve Iguodala or Livingston. There's a good possibility many teams will have cap space at the trade deadline, making it difficult to compete with just the vet minimum.

I am not disagreeing they wouldn't try. I just see the Warriors having limited options the remainder of this season.

At the deadline there are always trades to dump salaries. Maybe something like Mike Duleavy to team with space GS picks him up.

Verejao KMart D Lee were players that were picked vet min.
statsman
Analyst

Post#6 » by statsman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:42 am

Warriorfan wrote:
statsman wrote:

At the deadline there are always trades to dump salaries. Maybe something like Mike Duleavy to team with space GS picks him up.

If you are referring to last season, that's because every team was cap floored out after the trade deadline. I don't think that happens this season.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#7 » by Coxy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:43 am

Warriorfan wrote:
statsman wrote:

Yeah there are always ways.

Trust in Bob.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,237

Post#8 » by Onus » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:50 am

Not worried at all. Our "depth" was overrated. Just hope looney and jones stay healthy and we'll be fine

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#9 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:54 am

Our 3 rookies being able to contribute is the linchpin of our bench.

If our usable depth is limited to Livingston, Iguodala, West, Varejao, Clark and McAdoo we may face some difficulties.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#10 » by Coxy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:12 am

My 1 concern is a bench scoring big. When our starters sit, or we need someone to just come in and score around the rim when we are tired or have blown a team out, we need someone who can get easy points around the rim. That's why I wanted David Lee back.
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#11 » by northoakland510 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:13 am

Seems like the depth issue is just wishful thinking by those who want the Warriors to lose.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
statsman
Analyst

Post#12 » by statsman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:17 am

Coxy wrote:My 1 concern is a bench scoring big. When our starters sit, or we need someone to just come in and score around the rim when we are tired or have blown a team out, we need someone who can get easy points around the rim. That's why I wanted David Lee back.

Lee instead of McAdoo?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#13 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:22 am

statsman wrote:

By limits, are you including waived or bought out players?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
statsman
Analyst

Post#14 » by statsman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:27 am

Mylie10 wrote:
statsman wrote:

By limits, are you including waived or bought out players?

Yep.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#15 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:28 am

Coxy wrote:My 1 concern is a bench scoring big. When our starters sit, or we need someone to just come in and score around the rim when we are tired or have blown a team out, we need someone who can get easy points around the rim. That's why I wanted David Lee back.

West can score and that will be his role. He didn't play as much for the Spurs last year, but we'll need him to play more minutes for us, and scoring will be key for him and our bench.

He shot 55% from the field last season in 18 minutes per. And he shot nearly 80% from the line. I expect his minutes will go up a bit from that. Could be wrong. But he along with Livingston, Iguodala, McCaw, and a starter will be a solid bench.

If either Jones or Looney can get involved it will be really helpful from a rest guys standpoint.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
OK_C3P0
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#16 » by OK_C3P0 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:48 am

Nah.. Depth is overrated? Clippers have won plenty of games without a consistent bench. And the Rockets, had 8 players scoring over 10 PPG in 2015 and only 5 in 2016. Spurs had similar issues. Nice for regular season wins, but usually falls short in the playoffs. Warriors fans should be plenty worried.

Depth, experience, offensive rebounding, free throw shooting are some areas the GSW may find hard to replace with over the hill
role players and league minimum fill ins. Andre Iguodala is 32 and has suited up for almost 1000 NBA games, the clock is ticking.

Is it just presumed that Steve Kerr is now a veteran coach capable of molding a new roster into the same contender as the past 2 seasons? They beat the injured Cavs last year, and this year almost tanked to the Thunder before laying down 3 losses in a row in the Finals.

Great team yes. We will all be watching to see how KD fits in. But they may be watching the Finals on TV like most of us!
Be careful what you wish for...
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#17 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:02 am

OK_C3P0 wrote:Nah.. Depth is overrated? Clippers have won plenty of games without a consistent bench. And the Rockets, had 8 players scoring over 10 PPG in 2015 and only 5 in 2016. Spurs had similar issues. Nice for regular season wins, but usually falls short in the playoffs. Warriors fans should be plenty worried.

Depth, experience, offensive rebounding, free throw shooting are some areas the GSW may find hard to replace with over the hill
role players and league minimum fill ins. Andre Iguodala is 32 and has suited up for almost 1000 NBA games, the clock is ticking.

Is it just presumed that Steve Kerr is now a veteran coach capable of molding a new roster into the same contender as the past 2 seasons? They beat the injured Cavs last year, and this year almost tanked to the Thunder before laying down 3 losses in a row in the Finals.

Great team yes. We will all be watching to see how KD fits in. But they may be watching the Finals on TV like most of us!

The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#18 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:12 am

I would like to see Lee come back, guys just a good interior player on offense. Even if we brought in Bass or Landry that would be great.
kaiballz
Bench Warmer
And1: 666

Post#19 » by kaiballz » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:24 am

not david lee. we are already overflowing at the PF position. its gotta be either a shot blocking big or a guard who can shoot. i wanted dlee before we got west, but they are basically the same at this stage.
kaiballz wrote:if anyone can make this comeback (3-1), we can.

I believe in this team.

Wed May 25, 2016 (GSW vs OKC)
MickeyOnTheRise
Ballboy
And1: 18

Post#20 » by MickeyOnTheRise » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:43 am

They still don't know how Zaza will look after coming back from injury. He anchored a great defense back in 2015 with the Bucks(3.41 ESPN RPM) btw.

That Andy V signing could destroy an entire season, i really hope he isn't the 2nd string backup when the season starts.

Sanders really needs to be picked up in the worst way.

Return to Golden State Warriors