ImageImageImageImageImage

Marc Stein : Warriors sign Javale Mcgee

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,237

Re: Marc Stein : Warriors sign Javale Mcgee 

Post#161 » by Onus » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:39 pm

510TWSS wrote:I don't think there's many minutes for Looney as a back up small ball 5. I think he has to play the back up 4 for now.

I'm hoping he becomes the primary back up 4, and if they want to go "small" move him to 5 with KD at the 4. Though that's probably bigger than any lineup we could've thrown out last year ... I can't wait to see this team.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#162 » by likashing » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Onus wrote:
510TWSS wrote:I don't think there's many minutes for Looney as a back up small ball 5. I think he has to play the back up 4 for now.

I'm hoping he becomes the primary back up 4, and if they want to go "small" move him to 5 with KD at the 4. Though that's probably bigger than any lineup we could've thrown out last year ... I can't wait to see this team.

The thing is opponents will leave him open like Bogut/Ezeli. Bogut knew what to do. Ezeli sort of knew what to do. I just can't visualize McGee knowing what to do. He will look lost and stupid out there by himself when the opponent is not guarding him.

I can't see him making the team. I can't envision him getting many minutes even if he makes the team. I don't mind if he is on the roster though. There are 15 spots for a reason...
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,863

Post#163 » by 510TWSS » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:16 pm

Onus wrote:

Yeah. his role could always expand as the season rolls on and he shows he can handle the position. I just remember that Draymond only played like 6 MPG as the primary small ball 5. That's used mainly in the 4th and sometimes before half time. Unless Draymond is hurt, I can't imagine Looney taking those minutes up.

If we are on the road on the second night of a back to back I could see those minutes being given to Looney if he's performing well. The main reason being to not wear down Draymond during the regular season.
prech
Junior
And1: 65

Post#164 » by prech » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:04 am

Looks like Mcgee will have no guaranteed salary
Read on Twitter

Expecting him to work hard this training camp if he wants any shot at making the cut
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#165 » by old rem » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:50 pm

likashing wrote:
Onus wrote:

The thing is opponents will leave him open like Bogut/Ezeli. Bogut knew what to do. Ezeli sort of knew what to do. I just can't visualize McGee knowing what to do. He will look lost and stupid out there by himself when the opponent is not guarding him.

I can't see him making the team. I can't envision him getting many minutes even if he makes the team. I don't mind if he is on the roster though. There are 15 spots for a reason...
Zaza has "fundamentals" but McGee is the guy with the raw talent, physical tools. By now......I think he KNOWS what he's good at and what he sucks at...and on THIS roster won't need to do the stuff that's not good. I'm optimistic. I think he CAN be quite a plus. GSW has great coaching, has leaders.

As for Looney as Smallball C? Who knows. We've got no eyeball test on the guy. We got CLUES he MAY be real good at some point.
SF? Pf? we can't yet say. For that matter... Jones is sort of a present under the Xmas tree. MIGHT be what we want.

GSW has quite a few newcomers and several are rather a mystery at this time.
CENSORED... No comment.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#166 » by likashing » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:02 pm

old rem wrote:
likashing wrote:
Onus wrote:

Zaza has "fundamentals" but McGee is the guy with the raw talent, physical tools. By now......I think he KNOWS what he's good at and what he sucks at...and on THIS roster won't need to do the stuff that's not good. I'm optimistic. I think he CAN be quite a plus. GSW has great coaching, has leaders.

As for Looney as Smallball C? Who knows. We've got no eyeball test on the guy. We got CLUES he MAY be real good at some point.
SF? Pf? we can't yet say. For that matter... Jones is sort of a present under the Xmas tree. MIGHT be what we want.

Re: Looney as small ball C, a lot of peeps on this board talk about it. I am not that sure. Yes, he is 6-9 220-230, but he doesn't look like he can hold his own at the spot. McAdoo looks much thicker than Looney while having similar measurements, but he still sucks as a small ball C. All that and both have no reliable outside shot to make opponents pay on the other hand.

Let's face it, Draymond is a freak, and we cannot just chalk up every forward type as a potential small ball C.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
jaywalkszzz
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#167 » by jaywalkszzz » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:36 am

prech wrote:Looks like Mcgee will have no guaranteed salary
Read on Twitter

Expecting him to work hard this training camp if he wants any shot at making the cut

Per Bobby Marks of the Vertical, JaVale's guarantee "increases to $701,860 if not waived by the first game of the regular season" (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/gsw/salary/)
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#168 » by Mylie10 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:13 am

Javale is making this team. Guys are talking about him as if he's already made the squad. He'd have to go full bonehead to blow this.

Now that could happen, lol, but I really think there is very little risk to him being a distraction.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#169 » by ChuckDurn » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:51 am

Mylie10 wrote:Javale is making this team. Guys are talking about him as if he's already made the squad. He'd have to go full bonehead to blow this.

Now that could happen, lol, but I really think there is very little risk to him being a distraction.

Yep, I'm sensing this as well - that Javale's on the team unless he totally screws up. Hopefully that means the McAdoo experiment is over, and we free the 15th spot up for another need.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,237

Post#170 » by Onus » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:20 pm

likashing wrote:
old rem wrote:
likashing wrote:

Re: Looney as small ball C, a lot of peeps on this board talk about it. I am not that sure. Yes, he is 6-9 220-230, but he doesn't look like he can hold his own at the spot. McAdoo looks much thicker than Looney while having similar measurements, but he still sucks as a small ball C. All that and both have no reliable outside shot to make opponents pay on the other hand.

Let's face it, Draymond is a freak, and we cannot just chalk up every forward type as a potential small ball C.

McAdoo might have bigger biceps but Looney has broader shoulders and way more length. When they were playing summerball together Looney looked "bigger" overall than McAdoo and that was before Looney put on more weight.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#171 » by Mylie10 » Sat Oct 1, 2016 5:23 pm

If Looney's health pans out, he will most definitely play SOME small ball center. He would play mostly four, but every team injects their versions of small ball. He would for sure play some at center because of his attributes. And Onus has made mention of those.

The o oh real question will be the health.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#172 » by turk3d » Sun Oct 2, 2016 10:03 pm

I really liked the way McGee looked (I hope he makes the squad). In spite of the loss, I think these guys looked really good. Just wait until they get used to each other. For some laughs, check out the article on McGee put out by GSOM, lol.

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2016/10/2/13135688/warriors-vs-raptors-video-analysis-2016-2017-highlights-javale-mcgee-kevin-durant
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,088

Post#173 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Oct 5, 2016 6:15 pm

I picked up McGee on a flier in a dynasty league I'm in. So, I'm hoping you guys can get it figured out. (and Zaza retires unexpectedly)
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#174 » by Kuya » Fri Oct 7, 2016 7:57 am

i want him to start.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#175 » by Mylie10 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Iguodala said to Ethan Strauss;
Iguodala on JaVale's value: "Talk to some different people, GMs, front office people. He's so much better than a lot of these guys who got paid this past year. Like, so much better."
Khoee wrote “
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#176 » by Mylie10 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:48 am

Anthony Slater article on Javale. http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/12/javale-mcgee-trying-to-shed-shaqtin-a-fool-label-revive-career-with-warriors/

Effing 7'8" wingspan!!! Crazy.

Very good article. Gives insight into Javale and his situation. I think he's going to play well this year.
Khoee wrote “
kaiballz
Bench Warmer
And1: 666

Post#177 » by kaiballz » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:43 am

he has the talent and potential to be our starting center. if he figures out the mental side of it. and i mean a legit starting center, not a stop gap cos we got no $
kaiballz wrote:if anyone can make this comeback (3-1), we can.

I believe in this team.

Wed May 25, 2016 (GSW vs OKC)
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#178 » by lars_rosenberg » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:43 pm

In a good environment he can be useful.
I don't expect him to be a starter, but if he can provide good defense (Adams is working on it) and some dunks off the bench he will be valuable. We may need rim protection and an answer to teams going big at some point, so it's good to have him.
Javale was a decent player on Denver and he's now only 28 and healthy. He's ready to be an NBA player again.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#179 » by Mylie10 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:38 pm

I heard Javale say in a semi recent video that he knows with the Warriors, he won't be receiving any post ups. So his goal in the Drew League was to work on doing the types of things the Warriors will need from him, as in rebounding, blocking shots, and setting screens. He said his points would come off of put backs and dunks.
Khoee wrote “
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#180 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:29 pm

As expected, McGee makes the cut and is #15 on the roster.

Return to Golden State Warriors