ImageImageImageImageImage

Looney - I'm a believer!!!

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Re: Looney - I'm a believer!!! 

Post#21 » by likashing » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:46 am

In an interview, he says his hip still hurts while playing. If I have to bet, his won't ever be completely healthy. He is Ezeli all over, and I will gladly take whatever he has to offer when available.

This is a 20 year old who had been hurt 2+ years, has multiple surgeries and sat out a full season, 1!; still not healed. Something is structurally wrong.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#22 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:11 pm

Big guys take longer to get it and Looney would be a project regardless of his hips. McCaw is coming into the NBA without injury and is more polished. You don't find a lot of project wings, not saying they don't develop, they are just more NBA ready. Big men for the most part are slower to develop.

Looney is out of shape and that is understandable because of his hips. He is hopefully getting more NBA game ready everyday. I still believe that only Looney's health will keep him from being a productive role player off the bench. I think he has the ceiling to be a fringe starter at the 4.

Another player who I think is going to be part of the Warriors future is Jones. If he is able to get some run this season, I expect him to be our starting center next year.

Regarding trade assets, I think the front office is looking more at keeping these young guys and developing them, as they provide hopefully a big bang for the buck. The front office needs to hit on their draft picks, as it's a cheap way to upgrade the roster. The Warriors for the foreseeable future are going to be cap strapped.
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Post#23 » by WESCO » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:10 pm

If Jones develops fast enough to be our starting next year that would be like hitting the lotto

I do wonder what will happen to McGhee next offseason because I truly believe he will have a very productive year
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#24 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:03 am

So after being confident since I first saw him play that Looney could play minutes as a small ball center, now I'm not so sure. He's got great length, a great nose for the ball and seems to be a hard worker and hustler. But for a guy 6'9 to compete at center with the 7fters he's got to have at least good quickness and Looney doesn't appear to. What I'm hoping is that he's still a bit tentative and as he builds that muscle memory he'll start to react faster and more instinctively. If he's only ever a backup forward it doesn't mean he's useless but it would be nice if he could compete as a center.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#25 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:32 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:So after being confident since I first saw him play that Looney could play minutes as a small ball center, now I'm not so sure. He's got great length, a great nose for the ball and seems to be a hard worker and hustler. But for a guy 6'9 to compete at center with the 7fters he's got to have at least good quickness and Looney doesn't appear to. What I'm hoping is that he's still a bit tentative and as he builds that muscle memory he'll start to react faster and more instinctively. If he's only ever a backup forward it doesn't mean he's useless but it would be nice if he could compete as a center.

Looney will never be a speed burner, but he is still not 100% from his hip surgeries. Looney wants to play basketball and he plays hurt. Other players would still be rehabbing or sitting out period, instead of playing. That was evident when Looney opted to play summer league ball and not sit out pre-surgery. Then a lot of people evaluated his play in summer league as if he was 100%.

I think he can play the small ball 5, but I think Kerr wants him at the 4.

Let's give him some more time to find out exactly who he is. It is very possible the two hip surgeries have had a negative affect on him and will never get back to where he was physically was before his hip issues. Time will tell.

The front office thinks enough of Looney to exercise the third-year contract option on him.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#26 » by Mylie10 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:25 am

Yeah exercising the option was an encouraging move for sure. I sure hope the guy gets free of the pain at some point.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#27 » by azwfan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:29 am

I don't want to be the negative one around here, but i'm still just hoping we can trade him for something good... haha
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#28 » by lars_rosenberg » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:21 am

His ceiling is Ibaka with better bbIQ and ball handling.
If he stays healthy he'll fit wonderfully in our team.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#29 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:16 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:His ceiling is Ibaka with better bbIQ and ball handling.
If he stays healthy he'll fit wonderfully in our team.

Yeah, he fits the mold of the type of player the Warriors are covet. He is long, able to guard multiple positions, smart and seems to be a hard worker. Health is going to be his limiting factor.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#30 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:20 pm

Looney (and yes I've been saying this all along) will be VERY good...will end up being a tenacious offensive rebound and glue guy. He has a nice stroke from 3 and a very high IQ.

I predict he is back PF and center by half way through the season.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#31 » by Mylie10 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:45 pm

I still want the dude to get better on his feet. I mentioned jump roping as a drill that could really improve his feet and running. I'm sure they're on it, but I want to see improvement there as time goes by.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,234

Post#32 » by Onus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:54 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I still want the dude to get better on his feet. I mentioned jump roping as a drill that could really improve his feet and running. I'm sure they're on it, but I want to see improvement there as time goes by.

He doesn't move very gracefully
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#33 » by clyde21 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:30 pm

It wasn't hard seeing he has talent. He just needed to get healthy and stay on the floor. Outstanding length, decent athleticism, ability to crash the boards with a passable shooting stroke and you've got yourself a solid rotation player. Just needs to stay healthy.

I want to see a "small" ball lineup of:

Looney
Green
Durant
Thompson
Curry

...I think will be pretty insane.

And different various obviously with Iggy, Livingston and McCaw. :o
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#34 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:19 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I still want the dude to get better on his feet. I mentioned jump roping as a drill that could really improve his feet and running. I'm sure they're on it, but I want to see improvement there as time goes by.

Ballet. :onfire:
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#35 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:41 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:

Yoga.

The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#36 » by lars_rosenberg » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:02 pm

clyde21 wrote:It wasn't hard seeing he has talent. He just needed to get healthy and stay on the floor. Outstanding length, decent athleticism, ability to crash the boards with a passable shooting stroke and you've got yourself a solid rotation player. Just needs to stay healthy.

I want to see a "small" ball lineup of:

Looney
Green
Durant
Thompson
Curry

...I think will be pretty insane.

And different various obviously with Iggy, Livingston and McCaw. :o

Looney Green and Durant can all protect the rim and block shots, it will be a very good lineup.
Looney is probably better than Barnes defending PFs (or centers) and KD is definitely better than Iguodala.
Death lineup can get even better!
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#37 » by clyde21 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:46 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Left*My*Heart wrote:

Yoga.

+1 for the reference.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#38 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:54 pm

clyde21 wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
Left*My*Heart wrote:Ballet. :onfire:

Yoga.

+1 for the reference.

Look at that footwork and lateral quickness. Oh and hand down, man down.
The hottest of takes...

Return to Golden State Warriors