ImageImageImageImageImage

Javale McGee Should Be Our Starting Center Thread

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Javale McGee Should Be Our Starting Center Thread 

Post#1 » by Kuya » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:57 am

Dude was getting so many easy buckets and blocking shots out there. Nugget players visibly felt his presence at the rim when they tried to attack.

Zaza is a true professional and took less money to come here, but Javale maximizes our potential.

I think it's only a matter of time till Javale starts. In my opinion, it should be immediately.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Re: Javale McGee Should Be Our Starting Center Thread 

Post#2 » by cdubbz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:39 am

I think Kerr will eventually go that route.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#3 » by DAWill1128 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:57 am

With our guys I envisioned that's how our center would be used. Zaza and West can't do the things McGee can do. What I like about McGee is he adds the dimensions that we don't have. I was amazed how many times the Nuggets players were deterred from attacking or missed open shots in the paint because they feared Javale would swat it, they had incredibly hesitant guys.

Check out some clips of Jones, he's a really good running and jumping athlete for a center, he's a quick leaper so I think he could finish a lot of lobs and dump down passes.
DIO
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#4 » by DIO » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:31 am

yep
McGee or Looney should start
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#5 » by HiRez » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:56 am

I'd vote for Looney once he gets better conditioning, but McGee would be an interesting experiment. The earlier the better because you don't want to be experimenting when going into the playoffs. But he's worth a look at some more minutes if not starting.

That said, McGee has always been something of a flakey knucklehead and while I'm rooting for the guy to get it together and maximize his talents, and while he has looked decent in some short stints, I'm not super hopeful about it being sustainable.
kaiballz
Bench Warmer
And1: 666

Post#6 » by kaiballz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:00 am

really liked javale with the starters
his effort is great! not every big is willing to sprint the floor like that on every fast break, especially since bigs rarely get the ball on fast breaks since the defense automatically collapses into the paint on fast breaks. and javale really SPRINTS.

also, he finally gives us a source of offensive rebounding. offensive rebounding always improves shooters' percentages, because you feel more confident about firing.

His finishing and strength is something even bogut didn't have. you get the ball to javale right under the basket, nobody is stopping that man. he will jump up and slam it in, even if you try to foul him. alot of centers would be sent stumbling if wrapped up, but javale just explodes up so forcefully and quickly and slams it in.

i want javale with the starters more!!! just not during clutch moments. But i can understand from a realistic point of view; a player can have all the specs, but if he doesn't know the plays, and i mean REALLY know them, u don't play him. And the problem of gsw plays is that while we have set plays, most of our offence is very free and flowing and i have actually had experience playing that style before and it was WILDLY confusing for me. You need heaps of bball iq to play that kind of basketball. But i think javale is a hard worker and he will learn the set plays if he really tries.

also, KD NEEDS to go and resize his shoes. he's really scaring me.
kaiballz wrote:if anyone can make this comeback (3-1), we can.

I believe in this team.

Wed May 25, 2016 (GSW vs OKC)
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#7 » by East Bay Sports » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:28 pm

Zaza isn't a fit. McGee brings what we need to the starting unit.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,233

Post#8 » by Impuniti » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:30 pm

Zaza can start and play 10-12m if he puts effort like last night. He still sets screens and is a pretty good passer. But Kerr needs to get McGee and Looney acclimated and take all of West's minutes at the 5. Cutting Zaza's minutes and moving West permanently at the 4 will give the necessary time for the two Cs to play.

I was disappointed last night that Looney only played 5 minutes, and he looked pretty good in limited time out there. I wonder how long it's going to take before Kerr is confident that he can play 20-22m in a game if he's playing very well? Or the other question is, can he get to such a level? Green said it's just a matter of time before he finds second wind, ability to play at a high level once you're tired. He said he got it on his sophomore year in college, and he thought Loon will be able to find it as well.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#9 » by turk3d » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Impuniti wrote:Zaza can start and play 10-12m if he puts effort like last night. He still sets screens and is a pretty good passer. But Kerr needs to get McGee and Looney acclimated and take all of West's minutes at the 5. Cutting Zaza's minutes and moving West permanently at the 4 will give the necessary time for the two Cs to play.

I was disappointed last night that Looney only played 5 minutes, and he looked pretty good in limited time out there. I wonder how long it's going to take before Kerr is confident that he can play 20-22m in a game if he's playing very well? Or the other question is, can he get to such a level? Green said it's just a matter of time before he finds second wind, ability to play at a high level once you're tired. He said he got it on his sophomore year in college, and he thought Loon will be able to find it as well.

I think Kerr is still in the experimental stages as far as lineups go and probably will be for a while. It probably take him a while longer to figure things out, but I'm sure he eventually. In the meantime, 7-2. That sounds pretty good to me. I can live with that for the time being, lol.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#10 » by FNQ » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:39 pm

I thought this the moment we signed him.. McGee or jones needs to start or we'all likely have to make a trade.
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#11 » by Badly Browned » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:48 pm

Nah. Zaza should still be starting. Instead, Mcgee can take more of West's minutes at the 5. If we're talking fit, I feel like David West is more the odd man out.

What'd I'd like to see is once KD gets more acclimated to playing the 4, we can limit KD's regular season minutes at the 4 to mostly just the small ball death lineup, which should then open up more minutes for Looney and McGee. Reduce Green's regular season minutes at the 5 as well and there's even more minutes to be had.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#12 » by old rem » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:33 pm

Impuniti wrote:Zaza can start and play 10-12m if he puts effort like last night. He still sets screens and is a pretty good passer. But Kerr needs to get McGee and Looney acclimated and take all of West's minutes at the 5. Cutting Zaza's minutes and moving West permanently at the 4 will give the necessary time for the two Cs to play.

At this point I trust the front office to be smart. With 4 All Stars startin.. obviously where somethin happens is CENTER.
CENSORED... No comment.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#13 » by Mylie10 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:03 pm

I don't care if he starts or not. Lets just make sure that Looney and McGee both play meaningful minutes, not just end of games in blowouts.

I'm not on the West hate train like others, my stance has always been to have another big on the floor with him. I personally like Looney with West. Haven't really seen McGee and West to make an evaluation. It couldn't hurt to see how they interact. Or Draymond with West. Either way I don't understand why Kerr is forcing the West at smallball five angle.

There is really no need to play so much smallball these early games in the year. Unless it is merely to get them in sync.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,405

Post#14 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:30 pm

I guess...why not? I think with the vets he is going to be less out of control? His length and hops really bothers the other team so....might be a the right move....
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#15 » by jpengland » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:01 pm

I actually thought the same in Dallas.

He's nowhere near as bad as the caricature that's portrayed.

Yes he makes some dumb plays, but he also rebounds like a maniac, protects the rim and runs the floor.

Overall, he can be a positive IMO.

He's also clearly happy to grind and do what the team needs. He's not a cancer or selfish, he's just dumb.

I'd have him playing 18 - 25 mins if I am Kerr.
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#16 » by laika » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:04 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
I'm not on the West hate train like others, my stance has always been to have another big on the floor with him. I personally like Looney with West. Haven't really seen McGee and West to make an evaluation. It couldn't hurt to see how they interact. Or Draymond with West. Either way I don't understand why Kerr is forcing the West at smallball five angle.

There is really no need to play so much smallball these early games in the year. Unless it is merely to get them in sync.

He's obviously doing it because the Warriors have been insanely good with West on the court. The real question is why West isn't getting more minutes?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,259

Post#17 » by Onus » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I don't care if he starts or not. Lets just make sure that Looney and McGee both play meaningful minutes, not just end of games in blowouts.

I agree Kerr should try big lineups to see how they play. Get a Looney McGee lineup out or Looney West or whatever combination. Just to test it out.

Though the real culprit is that Durant needs to play 30 minutes and Dala needs some minutes, but Dala really only plays the 3 now so the only other minutes for Durant is at the 4.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#18 » by Mylie10 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:39 pm

Onus wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:I don't care if he starts or not. Lets just make sure that Looney and McGee both play meaningful minutes, not just end of games in blowouts.

I agree Kerr should try big lineups to see how they play. Get a Looney McGee lineup out or Looney West or whatever combination. Just to test it out.

Though the real culprit is that Durant needs to play 30 minutes and Dala needs some minutes, but Dala really only plays the 3 now so the only other minutes for Durant is at the 4.

If Durant needs to play the minutes at 4 to get his 30+. I'm ok with that. Lets just have him playing with McGee or Looney then. That way you have a big with length who can help stop the rim run. If he is gonna spend time with West on the floor (which I'm totally cool with), then keep him at the 3 and bring in another big with West.

I don't think AV or McAdon't should even see the floor unless extreme blowouts. And as much as I like how Clark has been playing, if it takes minutes away from our main units, and McCaw seeing the floor, then he can sit too.

No matter how you shake it, we are getting production up and down the lineup, and i believe it will get better as each guy has a more defined role and familiarity with each other.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mylie10 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:07 pm

JaVale McGee was given rotation minutes by Steve Kerr and the Golden State Warriors for the first time this season on the second night of a back-to-back at the Denver Nuggets.

McGee had 10 points and two blocks, offering size and an energy boost.

“We’re looking at the first part of the season as somewhat experimental,” Kerr said. “We haven’t really given him a chance yet. You could see he gives us a dimension that we don’t have, throwing it up to the rim for a lob, which provides you extra spacing. I thought he was great.”

McGee has bounced around over the past few seasons and earned his way onto the Warriors' roster with an impressive preseason.

ANTHONY SLATER/SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS
Khoee wrote “
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#20 » by Little Digger » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:07 pm

20 minutes off the bench ..Why? 1.then Kerr can pick and choose when to use McGee depending on matchups 2. McGee doesnt always have to bang with the oppositions starting center.

Starting or coming off the bench I think he's best used as a part time player. Like Pachulia.

It would be awesome if he can become a starting 30+ min center for us and stay healthy..I just dont see it happening..So bring him off the bench.
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.

Return to Golden State Warriors