ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 7th pick of the 2009 NBA Draft...

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,074

Re: 2009 draft lottery... 

Post#221 » by Twinkie defense » Fri May 1, 2009 7:26 pm

Word of warning: never draft a Syracuse player.
Khoee
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#222 » by Khoee » Fri May 1, 2009 7:56 pm

I couldn't agree more...lol @ anyone who likes Johnny Flynn...
gking
Junior
And1: 0

Post#223 » by gking » Fri May 1, 2009 8:33 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Word of warning: never draft a Syracuse player.

Or trade Mitch Richmond for one (Billy Owens). That has to be at least a top ten worst trade in NBA history.

I was curious and found this list of Syracuse Players who Played in the NBA:

http://www.orangehoops.org/SyracuseNBA.htm

Standouts would have to be:
Dave Bing
Carmelo Anthony
Derrick Coleman
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#224 » by Sid the Squid » Fri May 1, 2009 8:46 pm

Mitch Richmond was overrated...Warriors won 55 games with rookie Billy Owens playing major minutes...

Mitch was a solid pro...But the only top10 worst NBA trade he was involved in was the Washington-Sacramento trade...
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#225 » by TB » Fri May 1, 2009 9:09 pm

I'm not sold on Tyreke at all... he is nowhere near as athletic as some people are claiming, and he gets about as many TO's as he does Assists. He is a scorer that got switched to the PG spot. We don't need scorers, we need smart passers that can defend.

Their isn't anyone that fits what we need at 7, so we should swing for the fences.

The only player we should be hoping for at 7 is Demar Derozan.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,302

Post#226 » by Sleepy51 » Fri May 1, 2009 9:44 pm

Sid the Squid wrote:Mitch Richmond was overrated...Warriors won 55 games with rookie Billy Owens playing major minutes...

Mitch was a solid pro...But the only top10 worst NBA trade he was involved in was the Washington-Sacramento trade...

That's a crock.

Mitch was not overrated. Nellie blew the talent evaluation. Mitch was not done developing when Nellie traded him. Owens was a career loser after that rookie season. Mitch only got better and more complete.

It was a bad read and a bad trade.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#227 » by Sid the Squid » Fri May 1, 2009 9:51 pm

It was a trade that did nothing for Sac or GS..A complete wash..Mitch was a scoring wing ..They grow on tree's...Sprewell was picked off a tree to replace Mitch.
WarFan
RealGM
And1: 1,484

Post#228 » by WarFan » Fri May 1, 2009 9:55 pm

TB wrote:I'm not sold on Tyreke at all... he is nowhere near as athletic as some people are claiming, and he gets about as many TO's as he does Assists. He is a scorer that got switched to the PG spot. We don't need scorers, we need smart passers that can defend.

Their isn't anyone that fits what we need at 7, so we should swing for the fences.

I've let Evans slip a spot on my board also, but the guy passing him is Holday. I think there's a much better chance of him becoming a good PG than DeRozan becoming a star.

My board:
Griffin
Rubio
Thabeet
Holiday
Evans
DeRozan
Bust
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#229 » by GswStorm3 » Fri May 1, 2009 10:24 pm

TB wrote:I'm not sold on Tyreke at all... he is nowhere near as athletic as some people are claiming, and he gets about as many TO's as he does Assists. He is a scorer that got switched to the PG spot. We don't need scorers, we need smart passers that can defend.

We don't need a less skilled version of J Rich.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#230 » by Twinkie defense » Fri May 1, 2009 11:02 pm

TB wrote:Their isn't anyone that fits what we need at 7, so we should swing for the fences.

Yay! Another combo guard!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#231 » by Twinkie defense » Fri May 1, 2009 11:07 pm

Trading Mitch for Billy Owens was of course a huge mistake, and Nellie has said as much. Nellie's heart was in the right place though - small for big, and Billy O had "point forward" written all over him. Nellie just forgot the cardinal rule: stay away from Syracuse.

I wonder if Mitch had never gone, might C-Webb have stayed on? It's not outside the realm of possibility.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#232 » by Sleepy51 » Fri May 1, 2009 11:52 pm

Sid the Squid wrote:It was a trade that did nothing for Sac or GS..A complete wash..Mitch was a scoring wing ..They grow on tree's...Sprewell was picked off a tree to replace Mitch.

What Mitch "was" and what Mitch became are two very different things. Owens was never one iota better than he was as a rookie. And he was overrated as a Rookie. Players are supposed to develop. It is often wise to invest some time and effort in that development. We invested in Owens and gave up on Mitch. Mitch was the better investment.

God forbid you hang onto a scoring wing and teach them how to pass and play defense . . . oh wait, we're talking about Nellie. Nevermind.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#233 » by TB » Sat May 2, 2009 1:26 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
TB wrote:Their isn't anyone that fits what we need at 7, so we should swing for the fences.

Yay! Another combo guard!

When did Derozan become a combo guard?
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#234 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat May 2, 2009 1:34 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Trading Mitch for Billy Owens was of course a huge mistake, and Nellie has said as much. Nellie's heart was in the right place though - small for big, and Billy O had "point forward" written all over him. Nellie just forgot the cardinal rule: stay away from Syracuse.

I wonder if Mitch had never gone, might C-Webb have stayed on? It's not outside the realm of possibility.

Too bad the trade was not made before the draft. Dikembe was still available when the Kings drafted Billy Owens.

I think Nellie wants his big men to have more little man skills than you normally find in big men so Nellie also might have passed on Dikembe to draft Owens.

CWeb, Owens and Sprewell were bad influences on each other. The Warriors Won 50 games in 93-94 because they were good players, even Owens.

If players had not gotten injured the Warriors would not have been bad enough to get the #3 pick that was traded for the #1 pick Webber. Surunas did a good job replacing Mitch and Elle and Askew were good. Surunas got injured and never got healthy. Elle and Askew left. Mullin, Hardaway and Owens each missed about a half season with injuries and so the 55 win Mitchless Warriors won 34 games the next year.

The 55 Win Warriors were playing small ball with Tyrone Hill playing Center and Owens playing Power Forward.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#235 » by Mylie10 » Sat May 2, 2009 4:53 pm

Donatas Motiejunas 7'0" 225 Love him.

http://www.vimeo.com/groups/journalists/videos/4221301

Nike hoop summit practice and game.

A little on the thin side, but his legs are solid. Back to the basket moves with range outside. Dirk lite.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#236 » by Sid the Squid » Sat May 2, 2009 5:20 pm

Like a moth to the flame

ODB = The Moth
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#237 » by Twinkie defense » Sat May 2, 2009 9:10 pm

That's a good point about Sarunas Marciulionis, Gatling. Before he broke down, Sarunas was one of the most dominant guards in the League.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#238 » by Sleepy51 » Sun May 3, 2009 1:43 am

Twinkie defense wrote:That's a good point about Sarunas Marciulionis, Gatling. Before he broke down, Sarunas was one of the most dominant guards in the League.

Who did Runi dominante?

Jodran
Reggie
Isiah
Stockton
Drexler
Tim
KJ
Marc Price
Terry Porter
Hornacek
KJ
Majerle
Mitch
Ricky Pierce
Joe Dumars

Off the top of my head, all those guys were more dominant players than Runi in his best years. How much lower does the bar go? Runi was unique and entertaining as a spark plug who got a free pass on offensive fouls, but he wasn't dominant. Not by a long shot.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#239 » by Mylie10 » Sun May 3, 2009 1:49 am

Come on Sleep. There were plenty of games where Sarunis came in and took over. Yes he was a sparkplug, but he was more than that. He didn't start here, but before he got injured he was a damn good player.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#240 » by Mylie10 » Sun May 3, 2009 1:56 am

Jordan>>>>>>Runi
Reggie = Way better shooter, but couldn't stop Runi. Runi would muscle him on D.
Isiah = PG not in the same catagory.
Stockton = PG not in the same catagory
Drexler > Runi. Drexler could handle him based on his size
Tim = I'd bet there were some epic practices.
KJ = Runi would muscle him. KJ had a better overall team, plus he's a PG
Marc Price = PG. Runi would own him 1 on 1. Price's D sucked.
Terry Porter = Good battle here. Could go either way depending on the night.
Hornacek = Toss up.
KJ = redundant
Majerle = Good match-up. Majerle's the better shooter.
Mitch = Mitch was better, hence the starter.
Ricky Pierce = Nod to Pierce
Joe Dumars = Joe D. FTW

Again, had Sarunis not injured that knee, who knows how it would have ended up for him. But in his minutes he could be dominant.
Khoee wrote “

Return to Golden State Warriors