ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 7th pick of the 2009 NBA Draft...

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Re: 2009 draft lottery... 

Post#301 » by -bob- » Thu May 7, 2009 12:48 am

Andy Katz with some interesting stuff here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/ind ... =katz_andy

ESPN.com asked NBA decision-makers from 10 teams to rate the top 10 prospects in this year's NBA draft. Here is a composite top 10 based on their responses.

Top 10 Players Player Team
1. Blake Griffin Oklahoma
2. Ricky Rubio DKV Joventut (Spain)
3. Hasheem Thabeet Connecticut
4. James Harden Arizona State
5. Jordan Hill Arizona
6. DeMar DeRozan USC
7. Tyreke Evans Memphis
8. Stephen Curry Davidson
9. Earl Clark Louisville
10. Jonny Flynn Syracuse
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#302 » by Mylie10 » Thu May 7, 2009 1:57 am

little more Warrior related item from that article:

The NBA is still deciding how it will conduct the drills at its combine at the Attack Athletics gym in Chicago from May 27-29.

But NBA teams are taking matters into their own hands. Golden State, Phoenix and the L.A. Clippers once again will organize a workout June 1-2 at the Warriors' practice facility. Commitments are still fluid, but the hope from the teams is that Young, Teague, Calathes, Gibson, Christmas, Arizona junior Chase Budinger, UCLA senior Darren Collison, Gonzaga sophomore Austin Daye, Georgetown junior DaJuan Summers, Sweden's Jonas Jerebko, Arizona State senior Jeff Pendergraph, LSU senior Marcus Thornton and Australia's Joe Ingles all will attend. More are expected to follow.

I really love me some Taj Gibson for this team. I think he would be a Hakim Warrick type of player for us to grab in the second round. His game just seems tailor made for the NBA and more specifically the Warriors.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#303 » by -bob- » Thu May 7, 2009 2:12 am

I got a feeling Nellie is gonna fall for Austin Daye.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#304 » by Mylie10 » Thu May 7, 2009 2:15 am

-bob- wrote:I got a feeling Nellie is gonna fall for Austin Daye.

Quite a reach at #7, but the kid has upside. If we ended up trading down and grabbing him along with another asset, then at least there's a chance this kid could end up being a really good player. i think he's a legitimate 6'10" and really good shooter.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,678

Post#305 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu May 7, 2009 3:18 am

-bob- wrote:Andy Katz with some interesting stuff here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/ind ... =katz_andy

ESPN.com asked NBA decision-makers from 10 teams to rate the top 10 prospects in this year's NBA draft. Here is a composite top 10 based on their responses.

Top 10 Players Player Team
1. Blake Griffin Oklahoma
2. Ricky Rubio DKV Joventut (Spain)
3. Hasheem Thabeet Connecticut
4. James Harden Arizona State
5. Jordan Hill Arizona
6. DeMar DeRozan USC
7. Tyreke Evans Memphis
8. Stephen Curry Davidson
9. Earl Clark Louisville
10. Jonny Flynn Syracuse

If the first six picks unfold like that leaving Evans available I think the Warriors take Evans. The only One of the first six picks that surprised me was Hill. Some "experts" who's writing I read did not like him.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,078

Post#306 » by Twinkie defense » Thu May 7, 2009 3:52 am

Hill will go high because of his "upside."
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#307 » by shazam_guy » Thu May 7, 2009 5:15 am

Even if Hill drops, I hope the Warriors won't take him. Not a good fit with our current coach, and also he's someone who just emphasizes what we don't have -- a good playmaker at the 1 who will get everybody involved. Hill is pretty raw and can't really do much, from what I've seen, without someone to get him the ball.

So, although I'm not thrilled about what's available after Rubio, I still think we've got to take a playmaker of some kind. A PG or a true point-forward who also likes to board. Seems kind of like most of the people available in that mode at our likely slot are a bit of a crapshoot.

I'm definitely open to the idea of trading out of the lottery if we're six still six or seven and trying to package something for a decent player like Sessions.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#308 » by Sid the Squid » Sat May 9, 2009 12:55 am

Warriors should target a role player...Thabeet is the #1 role player in this draft...Trade up to 3 if we can get him for a reasonable cost (BW)...
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#309 » by Hopper15 » Sat May 9, 2009 1:16 am

-bob- wrote:I got a feeling Nellie is gonna fall for Austin Daye.

6-10 and 205 for the third year in a row. Friend of mine thinks the same thing.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#310 » by old rem » Sat May 9, 2009 2:11 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Hill will go high because of his "upside."

(poop alert) :vent:

Hill mainly goes high because he's the only touted big guy left in the "top group" and not everyone needs another SG. hill also DID produce..has legit numbers. Upside has come to mean an excuse to draft a guy high when he didn't do much.

If we stay at 7 likely it's Clark, Lawson or Curry. If Evans convinces teams he's a PG...he may not last to 7. No...Holiday won't go top 10. His numbers don't even earn rd 2 so a GM is WAY out on a limb. Holiday is a flop and EVERYONE is saying ..what did you EXPECT,The kid would find the NBA easier?
Easily it's a trade-down year. A PF/C or a rebounding PF is our real need,but we need depth as much as a "upside" type. Ellis not becoming the PG would create a bunch of complications. We have a LOT of SG's and if Monta is #1 SG...then the best of the rest get underused or played out of position.

His late surge puts CJW in the PG picture. If you go head to head with Deron Williams and Steve Nash and win the matchup or just come out even....your "upside" gets re-assesed. If You think Monta has to be the SG starter....then you think big at PG...and Belinnelli looks more PG than a lot of the alternatives (Evans in particular)

There's always a team looking to move up in the draft but this year there may be several looking to move down. If it's too "buyer's market" the payoff for dropping 8-12 spots could be less than the usual. We might even be on the clock looking at a deal.

By the way..Taj Gibson is a real nice pick in rd 2 though more like Turiaf than Warrick. He was usually USC's best player this year.
CENSORED... No comment.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#311 » by Mylie10 » Sat May 9, 2009 6:47 am

Taj Gibson has way more offensive skills than Turiaf. And Turiaf's thick, Taj isn't. He's more like Warrick.

I wish we had a second rounder to use.
Khoee wrote “
TheCardinal20
Junior
And1: 20

Post#312 » by TheCardinal20 » Sat May 9, 2009 6:38 pm

Same here...although I trust the FO to find another athletic freak. It the freak can actually play ball, the Warriors will be rolling come December.
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#313 » by St.Nick » Mon May 11, 2009 1:39 pm

EDIT-- Better to be placed in the trade thred.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#314 » by turk3d » Mon May 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Supposedly the Knicks have "promised" Curry they're going to take him at 8, if they don't trade down. Wouldn't it be funny if we pre-empted them (hope we don't)?

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/5605

What do you guys think about Flynn? I see he's rated #10 on that list. Supposed to be a pretty good point guard from what some are saying. Haven't heard any of you mentioning him so far. :dontknow:
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,308

Post#315 » by Sleepy51 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Flynn is a midget.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#316 » by FNQ » Mon May 11, 2009 4:54 pm

If we dont trade our pick and wind up with a PG, we've failed...

@ work today we've been talking about the draft non-stop, and someone showed me Katz's list like bob did... co-worker brought up a great point - 10 GMs made the list, but were they lotto GMs or playoff GMs? Late lotto? Early lotto? Mid 1sts? Who knows - a lot of them could be gently encouraging certain players to be consensus lottery picks, such as Curry and Flynn... You've got to imagine one team is sitting around the 13-18 area and praying for Jrue to fall..
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,078

Post#317 » by Twinkie defense » Mon May 11, 2009 5:14 pm

Draft Express analyses the point guards...

If we DON'T come out of this draft with a PG we've failed... even if we pick at #1 overall.

As we put this data together, we weren’t surprised that Ty Lawson excelled from a situational perspective, as he did play for the most potent offense in all of college basketball, but we didn’t expect him to look this good. He ranks first in a number of key categories, including overall FG% (52%), Points Per Possession [PPP](1.13), pull up jump shot FG% (47%), and %shots he was fouled on (16.1%). Though his teammates did a lot of scoring as well, Lawson functioned seamlessly as a complementary scorer. Looking past his efficiency as a shooter off the dribble, he was second in catch and shoot field goal percentage at 48%. From a purely statistical sense, no player on this list scored more efficiently than Lawson...

Lawson was an incredibly prolific transition player (which is quite an advantage in itself today’s NBA), but he was comparatively better in other areas as well. When you consider that he only turned the ball over on 13.8% of his half court possessions (5th best) and can drive left and right equally well, it seems like Lawson could be an excellent offensive fit on virtually any team, regardless of tempo...

And lot's more...

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Sit ... Crop-3209/
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#318 » by turk3d » Mon May 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:Flynn is a midget.

Oh, another one? Seems to be a lot of those "floating" around this draft.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#319 » by hamncheese » Mon May 11, 2009 7:40 pm

For PG, I'd want the W's to get a late 1st and draft Calathes.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#320 » by Sid the Squid » Mon May 11, 2009 10:25 pm

My May BIG BOARD for the warriors 7th pick

1. Holdiay
2. DeRozan
3. Evans
4. Blair

Return to Golden State Warriors