ImageImageImageImageImage

Eurobasket 09 thread:

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Re: Eurobasket featuring Andris Biedrins and Ronny Turiaf 

Post#21 » by turk3d » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:05 pm

Where is Andris right now? How come out of all the players on the current roster, we don't hear the FO saying a word about him? Almost seems he's getting the cold shoulder for some reason. We've read about Jack's comments regarding getting "a big man". We've seen that one post by Sid regarding the Latvian, but not a word from him or the FO (regarding him) since the Amare talks got pretty serious.

Doesn't that seem a bit strange Nick? You would think that a guy who was such a key player might be getting a little more ink regarding what his role is going to be here this coming season.

Plus you have a number of sports writers (not just local but nationwide) claiming that Nellie's looking to trade him (not just TK). I guess that doesn't count for anything either. I think Sleepy's right. If it wasn't for their injuries, both Andris and Wright would likely be long gone (in addition to maybe Randolph as he was the one to be included in an Andris for Bosh deal reported mid-season). At that time, AR was being billed as a "malcontent" and Nellie had asked him to look for a trade. Shortly thereafter his agent was fired and AR is still here. Another coincidence maybe?
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#22 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:13 pm

I went back and listened to Nellie's last few Q&A's with the fans on warriors roundtable..He said the warriors like what they have and they dont plan to make any major changes this offseason other than relieving the glut at the 2 gaurd position. Nellie said he feels really good about the center position with Biedrins and Turiaf.
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#23 » by St.Nick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:18 pm

turk3d wrote:Where is Andris right now? How come out of all the players on the current roster, we don't hear the FO saying a word about him? Almost seems he's getting the cold shoulder for some reason. We've read about Jack's comments regarding getting "a big man". We've seen that one post by Sid regarding the Latvian, but not a word from him or the FO (regarding him) since the Amare talks got pretty serious.

Doesn't that seem a bit strange Nick? You would think that a guy who was such a key player might be getting a little more ink regarding what his role is going to be here this coming season.

Plus you have a number of sports writers (not just local but nationwide) claiming that Nellie's looking to trade him (not just TK). I guess that doesn't count for anything either. I think Sleepy's right. If it wasn't for their injuries, both Andris and Wright would likely be long gone (in addition to maybe Randolph as he was the one to be included in an Andris for Bosh deal reported mid-season). At that time, AR was being billed as a "malcontent" and Nellie had asked him to look for a trade. Shortly thereafter his agent was fired and AR is still here. Another coincidence maybe?

For what purpose would the Warriors make a statement about Andris? Do you understand the implications that would come forward if they did this?

The season is still months away. Speculating on each player's role for this coming season makes little sense.

And once again, I believe that Andris was available in a trade to bring in a superstar and he still is available, should that superstar come with several years attached to his deal.

You are fishing.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#24 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:35 pm

St.Nick wrote:But in the midst of those talks Riley came out and said point blank that he'd have a very hard time trading for a an impending FA. It doesn't take much to read between the lines and see that he was saying we would not be dealing for Amare unless he came here on an extension.

Maybe I have the timelines wrong, but I could swear Riley didn't say that until after the deal was squashed/being squashed. It just sounded like "saving face" talk to me. You honestly didn't see it that way?
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#25 » by St.Nick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:00 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
St.Nick wrote:But in the midst of those talks Riley came out and said point blank that he'd have a very hard time trading for a an impending FA. It doesn't take much to read between the lines and see that he was saying we would not be dealing for Amare unless he came here on an extension.

Maybe I have the timelines wrong, but I could swear Riley didn't say that until after the deal was squashed/being squashed. It just sounded like "saving face" talk to me. You honestly didn't see it that way?

This was from a Q and A with Kawakami the day of the draft.

-Q: You said earlier this week that you wouldn’t trade for a pending free agent if you didn’t have some understanding that you could re-sign him. Does that still stand?

-RILEY: I gave you the answer that that would be very difficult for me to do. It’s a little bit outside my comfort zone so to speak.

I would have to consider very deeply what we would need to do if it were presented to us. It would be a tough deal. It would be a hard thing for me to get convinced of. I’m not saying I couldn’t be. But that would be a very difficult thing.

Te other thing that would be associated with would be the asking price, that would be the other thing.. assuming the asking price would be pretty darn high on a good player.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... nanswered/

So as you can see, his statement came right as the trade talks were being made public. Only weeks later were they squashed completely.

He wasn't going to deal Andris for anyone unsigned.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#26 » by turk3d » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:17 pm

He didn't say anything about Andris at all in that interview. Now you seem to be the one speculating. However, he did talk about Curry, Jackson, Morrow and Monta. He even mentioned Speedy and Law. No mention of Andris, Wright or Belinelli (he didn't mention AR either, but I think he's been mentioned enough so far this offseason).

Riley also would not answer questions about the hotly-rumored trade talks with Phoenix involving Amare Stoudemire, though when I asked him if, generally, he still would avoid doing a deal with a pending free agent unless he knew he could re-sign him, Riley sounded like he might’ve done some negotiating tonight and wasn’t thrilled with the asking price.

Just an interpretation.

He wasn't going to deal Andris for anyone unsigned.'

How does that mean he isn't going to trade him? This was just a writer's interpretation according to the writer. All it says to me is that he's not going to trade him for just anything (the way he traded Belli). It by no means does says they have no intentions of trading him and I interpret this as meaning that they would like to trade him, but they need to get enough in return to justify it (which may be hard considering his value throughout the league and his very reasonable contract).

Until I hear some vote of confidence from the FO (or something from Andris), I am going to continue to believe that they are actively trying to trade him and will do so until I see him our starting lineup on opening day.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#27 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:30 pm

St.Nick wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

This was from a Q and A with Kawakami the day of the draft.

-Q: You said earlier this week that you wouldn’t trade for a pending free agent if you didn’t have some understanding that you could re-sign him. Does that still stand?

-RILEY: I gave you the answer that that would be very difficult for me to do. It’s a little bit outside my comfort zone so to speak.

I would have to consider very deeply what we would need to do if it were presented to us. It would be a tough deal. It would be a hard thing for me to get convinced of. I’m not saying I couldn’t be. But that would be a very difficult thing.

Te other thing that would be associated with would be the asking price, that would be the other thing.. assuming the asking price would be pretty darn high on a good player.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... nanswered/

So as you can see, his statement came right as the trade talks were being made public. Only weeks later were they squashed completely.

He wasn't going to deal Andris for anyone unsigned.

I'm not sure where in that quote Riley says anything specific to Andris or particularly strong to the effect of: "I won't trade for an expiring guy." TK is INTERPRETING Riley's statement as such, but it's not what he's actually said there.

Couldn't that statement be just as easily and reasonablly interpreted as: he won't trade for an expiring guy unless the asking price is sufficiently discounted?

The sticking point was Curry, not Dre. Dre was in the deal before we had Curry. That is fact. In the midst of trade negotiations where we just snatched a player Phoenix coveted that wasn't supposed to be available at our slot, Riley's statement about "how hard it would be" is motivated by a newfound position of bargaining strength. It's him grinding away at the asking price after the dealer thinks he has a sale. There is still nothing at all definitive in "it would be hard for me" except that it would definitively receive ample consideration.

The talks were going on and they included Dre before any furor over witholding Curry exploded, and without an extension in tow . . . since Amare wasn't signing an extension without Dre here (if at all which is a whole nother issue - I doubt ANY franchise FA is going to extend immediately before accepting a trade to such an unknown, historically erratic and unstoried destination as GSW, MEM, LAC, SAC etc . . . an extension was a pipe dream and any realistic negotiations were taking that into account.)

I was remembering a comment more specific to Biedrins made after Amare commented that he would not sign an extension here. Maybe that comment wasn't Riley, but whether I remember that 2nd comment correctly or not, it doesn't change that the comment you've highlighted above does not say all of what TK is interpreting it as saying.
Chris Cohan
Banned User

Post#28 » by Chris Cohan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:34 pm

Nick is going to win a few this Fall and it will be hysterical.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#29 » by Coxy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:52 pm

Biedrins is definately available for trade for the right big. Nellie wants an offensive centre, hence Amare chatter. He cares not for what the Latvian does, and probably thinks Andris peak is now or very shortly and wants to trade him while his stats are impressive, because Randolph will eat into them in a major way this season.
Chris Cohan
Banned User

Post#30 » by Chris Cohan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:56 pm

I think this label "offensive" means two things for you:

1. An existing featured 18ish+ PPG option
2. Has a guard-quality jump shot

Fine and dandy but Biedrins is quite capable of dumping in 15 or more a night when in the right system, and the jump shot is wholly irrelevant to me, personally. More importantly, Amar'e was available for a reason and rejected us for a handful of obvious, familiar reasons... top of the list probably the inevitable Nelson-C assignment.

Let's focus on shedding the temporary fat man, not the secured excellent youth.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#31 » by Sid the Squid » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:58 pm

This is about the dumbest/craziest collection of regular posters this board (or any other realgm board) has ever sufferd through. What a drought .

one flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#32 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Coxy wrote:Biedrins is definately available for trade for the right big. Nellie wants an offensive centre, hence Amare chatter. He cares not for what the Latvian does, and probably thinks Andris peak is now or very shortly and wants to trade him while his stats are impressive, because Randolph will eat into them in a major way this season.

Yes, we know Coxy. Dre is all "system" numbers. He's not actually bringing anything of inherent value to the table. We're much better off with Nick Collison. :sleep2:
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#33 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:01 am

Sid the Squid wrote:I went back and listened to Nellie's last few Q&A's with the fans on warriors roundtable..He said the warriors like what they have and they dont plan to make any major changes this offseason other than relieving the glut at the 2 gaurd position. Nellie said he feels really good about the center position with Biedrins and Turiaf.

Translation: all my trade talks are dead in the water. I haven't spoken to the Latvian since he went down with his injury, but I need to start making nice with him before Duffy tells him to ask for a trade like everyone else.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#34 » by Coxy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:07 am

Sleepy51 wrote:
Coxy wrote:Biedrins is definately available for trade for the right big. Nellie wants an offensive centre, hence Amare chatter. He cares not for what the Latvian does, and probably thinks Andris peak is now or very shortly and wants to trade him while his stats are impressive, because Randolph will eat into them in a major way this season.

Yes, we know Coxy. Dre is all "system" numbers. He's not actually bringing anything of inherent value to the table. We're much better off with Nick Collison, Jeff Green and Sefelosha. :sleep2:

Fixed. :D

Hard to accept isnt it. Andris just aint that good. Collison would average about the same in rebounds as Andris in this Nellie shammozle, and also hit FT's.

IF Andris is on the block, I'd much rather Green and Collison coming back than Amare ANY day.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#35 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:09 am

Coxy wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

Yes, we know Coxy. Dre is all "system" numbers. He's not actually bringing anything of inherent value to the table. We're much better off with Nick Collison, Jeff Green and Sefelosha. :sleep2:

Hard to accept isnt it. Andris just aint that good. Collison would average about the same in rebounds as Andris in this Nellie shammozle, and also hit FT's.

Sid,
You're right. Coxy is f :censored: ing up the board average big time.

VTB
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#36 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:11 am

Sid the Squid wrote:This is about the dumbest/craziest collection of regular posters this board (or any other realgm board) has ever sufferd through. What a drought .

one flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

This board was never dumber than when people were excited about giving Mullin, Nellie & Rowell a big hunk of cap space to go out and get Maggette with.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#37 » by Coxy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:14 am

:dontknow:

This boards acting like a religion. Completely unaccepting of views against the establishment. Sad.
Chris Cohan
Banned User

Post#38 » by Chris Cohan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:20 am

Uh huh.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#39 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:30 am

Coxy wrote::dontknow:

This boards acting like a religion. Completely unaccepting of views against the establishment. Sad.

You are being disagreed with. Vehemently. No one is discouraging you from posting or taking away your right to make an argument.

The "victimhood" card is tired. No one has injured you. Being heard doesn't = approval. No one's ideas here are entitled to "acceptance." They are entitled to be heard. Acceptance is a question of merit.
gswhoopsman
Pro Prospect
And1: 3

Post#40 » by gswhoopsman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:36 am

Coxy wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

IF Andris is on the block, I'd much rather Green and Collison coming back than Amare ANY day.

:rofl:
Catchall:The Bucks traded him for Monta Ellis and did well in that trade.If they can move Biedrins and Jefferson without losing much more than Barnes and another pick, I will be genuinely impressed.Iguodala is a short-sighted contract. Overrated player.

Return to Golden State Warriors