So who is Buffalo taking April 26th?

What are the teams biggest needs?
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Re: 2012 NFL Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Bills GM Buddy Nix is one of the most transparent personnel evaluators in the league, always willing to tell some degree of the truth when speaking with reporters. In discussing the draft this winter, two themes have emerged: Nix has a desire to pick up an extra draft pick if possible, and he's not particularly fond of the top of any positional group this year in terms of valuing those prospects worthy of a Top 10 pick.

Translation: the Bills seem ready and very willing to move down. Had I had that option in this here mock draft, I'd have most certainly explored it. I considered no fewer than 16 players with this selection. Every one of them felt like a reach.

In that light, knowing I'd be reaching, I decided to reach for a player that seemed like a Nix type of prospect. With Demetrius Bell looking like a sure bet as a free agent departure, the Bills have exactly one left tackle on the roster in second-year pro Chris Hairston - and the team admits that he's probably not ready to be handed a starting job yet. He needs a competitor for that job, and the 6'7", 323-pound Adams fits Buffalo's size requirement (the nine linemen Nix has acquired in just over two years are, on average, 6'6" and 331 pounds) better than other similarly-skilled prospects at the position.

Yes, Adams is highly inconsistent and has some red flags. No, he is not franchise-caliber. But he's experienced, had very strong performances against top competition, and would be playing in a Bills offense that emphasizes getting the ball out of Ryan Fitzpatrick's hands as quickly as possible. He's mobile enough to move around in the Bills' spread-type attack, get to the second level as a run blocker out of those alignments, and can be polished up into a quality starter by line coach Joe D'Alessandris.

Adams fits what the Bills are looking for at tackle better than the likes of Riley Reiff and Jonathan Martin, in my opinion. Could they get him lower? Absolutely - and again, a trade down is looking like the Day 1 goal for Buffalo. They may even be able to do better in a pinch if they're forced to stay at No. 10; Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, Melvin Ingram, Luke Kuechly and Dre Kirkpatrick, among others, all make sense. But on a roster that suddenly looks like it could be playoff-competitive, finding quality depth at left tackle is an absolute must. The earlier they address it, the better their chances of finding a guy that can push to start.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012-nfl-draft/ ... in/2667131
albertjenney
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by albertjenney » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:21 pm

Great post .good analysis
baulderdash77
Lead Assistant
And1: 235

Post#4 » by baulderdash77 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:15 am

I think that anyone who predicted that the Bills would get Stephen Gilmore and Cordy Glenn in the first 2 rounds of the draft would be considered crazy. This is a very good draft for them getting 2 first days starters at need positions on the first 2 rounds.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#5 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:03 am

I like the draft, apparently Glenn was in the conversation second best O Line guy. So if the Bills wanted to secure O Line with #10 which I thought they would, they would've either taken Glenn or someone on the same level. So Gilmore 10 and Glenn 41 looks pretty damn good to me. TJ Graham at 71 sounds like he's really fast so that's solid
baulderdash77
Lead Assistant
And1: 235

Post#6 » by baulderdash77 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:27 pm

They certainly seemed to fill all their needs. I think they got 2 or even 3 starters and at least 4 or 5 other contributors who should make the 53 man roster. Day 3 was really good for the Bills. The team depth is now looking quite strong.

Stephen Gilmore was the 2nd or 3rd (depending on who you talked to) CB on the board. The Bills have a starter and their nickel CB in their 30's and declining so this was a need.

Cordy Glenn was rated a 1st round pick in the 20's and by most people's evaluation the biggest steal of the 2nd round.

TJ Graham, I'm not so enthusiastic about, but we needed a speed WR.

Bradham, Brooks and Sanders all carried 3rd round grades and we got them in the 4th and 5th round.

Tank Carder would have been a 2nd rounder last year if he had came out (consensus All-America MLB last year) but got hurt this year and saw his stock slide.
reeDfense
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#7 » by reeDfense » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Very good pick for the Bills...Gilmore is very versatile too..he can play Safety as well...and was actually thought of to be better at safety..depending on which person you were asking.
bigscrims
Junior
And1: 112

Post#8 » by bigscrims » Mon May 21, 2012 4:38 am

I didn't even know realgm had a bills forum, but man is it empty in here.

Return to Buffalo Bills