ImageImageImage

DeAngelo Williams: I want to retire a Panther

Moderator: JDR720

TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

DeAngelo Williams: I want to retire a Panther 

Post#1 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:21 am

CHARLOTTE – Free agent running back DeAngelo Williams said Monday night he hopes the Carolina Panthers will make him an offer he can’t refuse so he can one day retire as a lifelong Panther.
Appearing on video chat with fans on Livestream on the eve of free agency, Williams told listeners that he’ll meet with general manager Marty Hurney on Tuesday at Bank of America Stadium to discuss his future.
The Panthers can begin talking to free agents Tuesday but can’t sign anyone until Friday under new league rules established Monday.
“I honestly and truly want to stay a Carolina Panther and they’re doing their part of keep me a Carolina Panther,” Williams said. “So I’m very excited about that. Carolina gets the first stab at me. If everything looks great, then why entertain other offers? So that’s where we stand right now.
“There are possibly a few other teams I don’t know about right now, but I’m pretty excited about where we are going as far as me and the Panthers. Wish me luck. I’m going in (to the stadium) as a Panther and I want to stay a Panther. I want to retire as Panther. But at the end of the day it’s a business.”
Williams said he’s heard the rumors about him possibly heading to Denver to rejoin former coach John Fox, but cautioned, “I had countless people hit me up on Facebook saying that I’m going to Denver. Don’t believe what you hear.”
Williams said he has a conversation earlier this offseason with offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski that left him intrigued about how the Panthers will use him and fellow running back Jonathan Stewart, one of his best friends on the team.
One option in particular has him excited.
“Chud said he has a big role for me and Jonathan to play this year and I’m pretty excited about that,” Williams said. “They even have packages where they will put me and Jonathan in at the same time, so it’s going to be pretty cool.”

http://carolinagrowl.com/index.php?opti ... 1:articles
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Re: DeAngelo Williams: I want to retire a Panther 

Post#2 » by ohara » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:22 pm

Now that we have Johnson back, next priority has to be signing Williams. Dont want to let him walk away for nothing. Keep him as I love the duo in the backfield of he and Stewart.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#3 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:59 pm

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that the bidding for free agent DeAngelo Williams appears to have become a two-horse race between the Broncos and Panthers.

The Dolphins no longer look to be in serious contention. The Panthers have the ability to offer more money than Denver, so based on that we'd give Carolina the slight edge.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43899788/ ... ayer_news/

ohara
Head Coach

Post#4 » by ohara » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:08 am

If it's us or Denver, I have to think the odds are good with Carolina. But who kows. He may have a relationship with Fox that takes him to Denver.
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#5 » by Jaruff » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:31 am

ohara wrote:If it's us or Denver, I have to think the odds are good with Carolina. But who kows. He may have a relationship with Fox that takes him to Denver.

True. I think Fox will target many of our guys and he'll get a few. Don't think DeAngelo will be one of them though.

I want him to retire as a Panther too. I was ecstatic when we grabbed him several years ago because I felt he was the best RB in that class. I would hate to see him leave now.

You look at our franchise RB's and he's up there at the top.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
ohara
Head Coach

Post#6 » by ohara » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Well, it now appears the Giants are in play for Williams. Now they could provide stiff competition for him. A good team who can make a strong argument as a contender in the NFC. If the money is right, I could see him there - which would suck big time.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#7 » by ohara » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:45 pm

YES!!! He's still a Panther: 5 yrs $43 mil. Great job by the FO keeping both he and Johnson!
pistolpete0089
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by pistolpete0089 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:21 am

The two headed beast of Williams and Stewart remains in Carolina blue for another season atleast which is great to see - hopefully they get back to their productive best and both stay fit and healthy which could help relieve some of the pressure off of Cam Newton.

I wonder if Williams and Johnson resigining will have any impact on the likely hood of Steve Smith returning - bring in another experienced wide receiver to play along side Smith and perhaps the Panthers offense can make a miraculous turn around from last years disaster.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#9 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:40 am

ohara wrote:YES!!! He's still a Panther: 5 yrs $43 mil. Great job by the FO keeping both he and Johnson!

:clap:

Rooster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#10 » by Rooster » Thu Sep 8, 2011 6:56 pm

Great to see him happy and healthy. He's on my fantasy team so I'm hoping for a big day against Arizona. Panther for life! Not enough guys stay with the same team these days.
Schadenfreude wrote:Not going to lie, if I found out that one of the seemingly illiterate morons we'd banned on the Raptors board was Primoz Brezec, it'd pretty much make my decade.

Return to Carolina Panthers