ImageImageImage

2012 Draft

Moderator: JDR720

Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Re: 2012 Draft 

Post#41 » by Jaruff » Thu Apr 5, 2012 4:54 am

I'm a SC fan and I personally would not want to see Stephon Gilmore on this team. Guy doesn't give a **** and he's more DeAngelo Hall than quality corner; heavy hitter but doesn't care about coverage. I'd rather take Antonio Allen with our fourth rounder or trade up to the end of the third to grab him. He was light-years better than Gilmore at DB last year for SC. Gilmore could give us some wildcat play though and would make a good safety.

I don't even want us going near a LB with our first pick. We've had so many issues with them; it's just not worth it. However, Ingram and Coples should be the two guys we target. No need to grab Floyd when we can possibly grab Alshon or one of the other 1st round WR talents that will fall to the second round. But, to be honest, I doubt we take a WR early anyway. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hurney take another App. State player in Quick. Wouldn't be surprised at all.

I know so many think DT is a major need, but the 2 Rookies did OK and will improve, and our FA signing from last season will be ready to fill the spot now that he is back from injury.

People forget that. I can't see us taking another DT early with the two picks we took last year and Ron Edwards. Plus we have other guys that played well last year and I don't feel there's an "elite" DT prospect that would really make a difference for us.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#42 » by penquin11 » Sat Apr 7, 2012 6:37 am

Jaruff wrote:I'm a SC fan and I personally would not want to see Stephon Gilmore on this team. Guy doesn't give a **** and he's more DeAngelo Hall than quality corner; heavy hitter but doesn't care about coverage. I'd rather take Antonio Allen with our fourth rounder or trade up to the end of the third to grab him. He was light-years better than Gilmore at DB last year for SC. Gilmore could give us some wildcat play though and would make a good safety.

I don't even want us going near a LB with our first pick. We've had so many issues with them; it's just not worth it. However, Ingram and Coples should be the two guys we target. No need to grab Floyd when we can possibly grab Alshon or one of the other 1st round WR talents that will fall to the second round. But, to be honest, I doubt we take a WR early anyway. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hurney take another App. State player in Quick. Wouldn't be surprised at all.

I know so many think DT is a major need, but the 2 Rookies did OK and will improve, and our FA signing from last season will be ready to fill the spot now that he is back from injury.

People forget that. I can't see us taking another DT early with the two picks we took last year and Ron Edwards. Plus we have other guys that played well last year and I don't feel there's an "elite" DT prospect that would really make a difference for us.

The only WR's I would touch in the 1st round are Hill and Blackmon. In the 2nd I wouldn't want Alshon- as Quick is virtually the same player plus some added speed, better hands, and more raw talent.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#43 » by TheKingofSting » Mon Apr 9, 2012 1:07 am

On ESPN Sport Science they were really raving about Michael Floyd, SportsCenter also said in one of the guys mock drafts they had him going 10th so us drafting him would not really be a reach at all. With Cam, our RB's, TE's, Steve Smith, LaFell our offense would be an unstoppable machine, I think we will really regret if we pass on Floyd! We can get a DT in FA.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdkTvjlYRKE[/youtube]
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#44 » by penquin11 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:33 pm

Kemba2Hendo wrote:On ESPN Sport Science they were really raving about Michael Floyd, SportsCenter also said in one of the guys mock drafts they had him going 10th so us drafting him would not really be a reach at all. With Cam, our RB's, TE's, Steve Smith, LaFell our offense would be an unstoppable machine, I think we will really regret if we pass on Floyd! We can get a DT in FA.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdkTvjlYRKE[/youtube]

The good guys in free agency are all but taken- that stated I don't like any of the DT's in this years draft enough to pick them in the top 10 or even top 20 for that matter.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#45 » by ohara » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:40 am

Tell you what. Wonder if these guys who do the Mocks have any inside info. I am seeing a whole lot of Mocks having us take Fletcher Cox, the Miss. St. DT, at #9. And I mean A LOT of them.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#46 » by Jaruff » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:58 pm

ohara wrote:Tell you what. Wonder if these guys who do the Mocks have any inside info. I am seeing a whole lot of Mocks having us take Fletcher Cox, the Miss. St. DT, at #9. And I mean A LOT of them.

I think it's more of them not really knowing our team.

We just spent two decent picks on DT's last year. We had guys play decently throughout the year. Ron Edwards will be ready too. It's not as "needy" of a position as people like to think.

Neither is DE because Greg Hardy is pretty decent himself but if we can have a new Rucker/Peppers combo by taking Ingram or Coples, I think we have to do that.

If Ingram or Coples aren't available at #9, I hope we trade down. We could use the additional picks.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#47 » by ohara » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Hearing a lot of love out there for Kuechley. Really have to think he can be a strong consideration for us at #9. With Davis and unknown and Beason returning from surgery, adding a stud LB would not be a bad idea either.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#48 » by ohara » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Good grief! It wont stop! just looked at 8 new Mocks today. 1 had us taking Poe, 1 had us taking the OT Martin, and the other 6 had Cox. I'm thinking someone from Carolina has thrown up a smoke screen and all these guys seem to be falling for it.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#49 » by ohara » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:59 pm

penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#50 » by penquin11 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:54 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers pulled a rabbit out of the hat and drafted G David DeCastro- supposedly he is the next Steve Hutchinson and we did drop Warton. We would be reaching a little for the guy at #9 so once again I would say that the Panthers should trade back to grab him (See Jets/Ravens/ect for details)
ohara
Head Coach

Post#51 » by ohara » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Today Marty Hurney was asked about the Draft. Very bluntly stated that the Panthers would not be moving up in the draft, but would entertain moving down. Gotta think that unless Blackmon or Claiborne well to #9, that the player they would select would likely still be there around #11-#12. So if they can drop back a few spots, still get their guy, and pick up another 2nd round pick, they would be thrilled.

There is a small chance Blackmon slips to #9, but only very small. No chance Claiborne gets that far. But if we were to trade back and get another 2nd, and still land someone like Kuechley, Cox or Floyd, I think the Front Office would be thrilled. As would I.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by penquin11 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:46 pm

ohara wrote:Today Marty Hurney was asked about the Draft. Very bluntly stated that the Panthers would not be moving up in the draft, but would entertain moving down. Gotta think that unless Blackmon or Claiborne well to #9, that the player they would select would likely still be there around #11-#12. So if they can drop back a few spots, still get their guy, and pick up another 2nd round pick, they would be thrilled.

There is a small chance Blackmon slips to #9, but only very small. No chance Claiborne gets that far. But if we were to trade back and get another 2nd, and still land someone like Kuechley, Cox or Floyd, I think the Front Office would be thrilled. As would I.

good to hearwe are considering moving down- I wouldnt mind taking Cox at say 21 or 28 but at 9 its way too early. We also need a CB badly though.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#53 » by Jaruff » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:39 pm

We could solve the CB issue by giving a sixth for Samuel. Not sure about the cap issue but that would solve our problem if we can't get the CB we want early on.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#54 » by ohara » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:04 pm

Problem is that even after signing Smith and getting some friendly cap room, we dont have enough to sign Samuel for what he is wanting. He comes with a high price tag. But if he was willing to reduce his price, I would love to get him in Carolina.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#55 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Jaruff wrote:We could solve the CB issue by giving a sixth for Samuel. Not sure about the cap issue but that would solve our problem if we can't get the CB we want early on.

I'd rather just hope Janoris Jenkins falls to the second round.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
ohara
Head Coach

Post#56 » by ohara » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:17 am

I dont think we will take a shot at Jenkins. When I listen to Sirius NFL Radio or read people like Risdon, they all say the same thing. Some guys get a bad rep and after doing research the NFL Scouts know the player is not going to be a problem for the NFL team. And then there are players who are just bad news. And the background check leads the team to know it is just time to walk away. Everything these guys hear says that Jenkins is just trouble, a guy who likes his pot and will throw away his shot at big time SEC ball in Florida because he just loves his weed too much. He is the kind of player who winds us getting suspended for failing drug tests, and has no self control.

This is not me saying this. This is those who have the inside knowledge. I think Jenkins has all the talent in the world, but I remember a Tennessee Titan who did also, and could not stay out of strip clubs and getting in trouble with the law.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#57 » by Jaruff » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:49 am

I'd like to have Jenkins but I don't think Richardson would allow Hurney to make the pick nor do I think Hurney would make the pick. We took Cam last year only after Richardson was convinced that he was going to keep a good image.

As you've said Ohara, from everything that we can hear about him in public, he isn't committed to that.

I wouldn't be surprised if we took a CB late (maybe one of the SC products, Steed from Furman or the Coastal Carolina guy Jeff likes to talk about) and signed someone. Maybe Andre Goodman. Local product, veteran leadership, and not a bad corner. Serviceable #2 for this year.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#58 » by ohara » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:55 pm

Well, you can mark the CB from Nebraska, Dennard, off our list. Got arrested for Assault on a Police Officer. This is the same guy who got into it with Alshon Jefferies in the Bowl game and they both got ejected. But you screw around with cops, and Jerry Richardson wont have a thing to do with you. He could fall to the 6th round and we could still need a CB and he wont let Hurney pull the trigger. Kid will never be a Panther.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#59 » by ohara » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Not real thrilled to hear the Pat Yasinskas report on ESPN that Hurney went to Chapel Hill to meet with Coples on Monday evening. I will be very disappointed if we take him at #9. Right now, guy is sliding down in the mocks to where he will go much later Thursday evening than he expected. I would want Kuechly over Coples in a heartbeat.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,491

Post#60 » by GoBobs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:40 am

What I would really like to see us do is trade J-Stew to the Browns to swap our 9 for their 4, and pick up there late first rounder. With the #4 take Richardson, and take the best DT, LB or OT with the extra first rounder. We get out of paying J-Stew and don't lose him for nothing.

I would send Williams to Denver for a first or multiple 2-3 round picks and just let Richardson be the guy.

If we end up picking ninth I would go with Poe. This kid is going to be a player. People say his college numbers weren't great, but here is what they don't understand about Memphis. The tigers are about as terrible a football team as you could imagine. The only reason they ever got a player like Poe is he lives right there and didn't want to leave family. He is the only guy on there team you had to stop so everything is designed around taking care of him. He faced a double or triple team all the time.

Return to Carolina Panthers