ImageImageImage

2012 Draft

Moderator: JDR720

ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Re: 2012 Draft 

Post#101 » by ohara » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:16 pm

Adams, Alexander and Norman are all good picks today. This has been a very good draft for Carolina. The guys at ESPN and the NFL Network like the Carolina draft also. Not going to complain.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#102 » by TheKingofSting » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm guessing the Armanti Edwards experiment is over.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#103 » by Jaruff » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Kemba2Hendo wrote:I'm guessing the Armanti Edwards experiment is over.

Most likely. To think we gave up a good second-round pick for some guy Hurney could have had in the 5th or 6th.

Here's the thing: I think Armanti could be a good player. However, he's not going to meet the expectations of a second-round pick, especially a pick that was virtually a first-rounder. I don't think it would have been an issue if he was picked in the 5th/6th round, where those QB/ATH guys generally go.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
ohara
Head Coach

Post#104 » by ohara » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Billy Winn the DT from Boise State is still out there. He had a 3rd round grade from most Draft Sites. And Antonio Allen, the CB from SC. He had a low 3rd/early 4th round grade. Those would be two good picks at the Compensatory 6th and the 7th round pick.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#105 » by Jaruff » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:51 pm

ohara wrote:Billy Winn the DT from Boise State is still out there. He had a 3rd round grade from most Draft Sites. And Antonio Allen, the CB from SC. He had a low 3rd/early 4th round grade. Those would be two good picks at the Compensatory 6th and the 7th round pick.

I agree. I fully believe Allen could come in on day one and challenge Martin for the starting safety job. Either that or you move him to safety like we did with Thomas Davis years ago.

Billy Winn would be an interesting pick. There's no reason to not take risks at this point in the draft so we're not losing anything by taking him. Surprised he has dropped this far though.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#106 » by ohara » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Took the Punter with Compensatory 6th. We let Jason Baker go, so they did not want to take a chance on Mortman being undrafted FA to go elsewhere. I'm OK with it.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#107 » by ohara » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Not liking 7th rounder DJ Campblell. Safety from Cal. Not grded high enough to warrant being drafted. Very curious.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#108 » by ohara » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Lombardi at the NFL Network gave us a B+ for the Draft. Wanted us to get a DT. I give us a very solid B. My biggest issue is that Hurney is far too willing to give up future early round picks to take a current mid round extra pick. Hate that habit he has. Those picks are too valuable IMO to do that trade unless you are talking about getting into another 1st or very early 2nd. We wont have a 3rd next draft, and that will hinder out ability to make a move in next year's draft should we have the need or desire.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#109 » by ohara » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:06 am

DJ Campbell taken in the 7th by Carolina. His uncle is Luther Campbell of 2 Live Crew fame. We took him for his uncle's celebrity!
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#110 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:10 am

Love this pick.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxW2mL8BbOA[/youtube]

Jaruff
RealGM

Post#111 » by Jaruff » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:30 am

ohara wrote:DJ Campbell taken in the 7th by Carolina. His uncle is Luther Campbell of 2 Live Crew fame. We took him for his uncle's celebrity!

I can get behind that.

Still would have preferred Antonio Allen but I understand why we (and many teams) were scared to take him. He's a hybrid S/LB: really hard to position that type of player. Jets got a steal though.

I think we did pretty well. I don't like that trade because as it turned out, there were plenty of decent guys available in the later rounds. Billy Winn being one of them.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#112 » by ohara » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:30 pm

Lombardi of NFL Network gave Panthers a B+
Kiper of ESPN gave us a B
Czar of FoxSports gave us a B
Brinson of CBSsports named Carolina as one of the Winners in the Draft
NFL Draft Scouts graded each individual pick as follows:
Kuechly B Silatolu B Alexander B- Adams A- Norman A Nortman C Campbell C+ The Avg comes to a B

This was a nice job by the Panthers. A good draft. I take the reason we did not addresss DT is based upon what the team knows that we dont. Edwards must be healthy at DT. Last years Rookies must have been working hard and showing improvement. They dont seem to have a concern with the DT spot.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2012car.php
Walter Football is a good site also. They really liked our Draft.

More love. SI people gave us an A- and sbnation gave us an A. This draft was terrific.
Jaruff
RealGM

Post#113 » by Jaruff » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:43 pm

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/ ... fe556cdb07

We signed 12 UDFA's. I'm really happy for Poole; I briefly went to school with him and he's a high character and very intelligent guy. Talented runner too; just made a poor decision to attend Tennessee. I think he'll make the team as Mike Goodson's replacement as the 4th RB.

I think half of those guys could make the team or practice squad this year.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#114 » by TheKingofSting » Tue May 1, 2012 7:40 am

Jaruff wrote:http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-agree-to-terms-with-12-college-free-agents/4a2ca30b-1f21-4d0c-97be-59fe556cdb07

We signed 12 UDFA's. I'm really happy for Poole; I briefly went to school with him and he's a high character and very intelligent guy. Talented runner too; just made a poor decision to attend Tennessee. I think he'll make the team as Mike Goodson's replacement as the 4th RB.

How do you see him going to UT as being a mistake? Do you mean just because of all of the coaching changes while he was there?

Jaruff
RealGM

Post#115 » by Jaruff » Tue May 1, 2012 3:28 pm

Kemba2Hendo wrote:
Jaruff wrote:http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-agree-to-terms-with-12-college-free-agents/4a2ca30b-1f21-4d0c-97be-59fe556cdb07

How do you see him going to UT as being a mistake? Do you mean just because of all of the coaching changes while he was there?

IIRC, he made his decision really, really early in the year and he later publicly felt that he made the wrong decision to commit so early. I think he ended up visiting some other schools but still chose TENN. Personally, I think the only reason he chose TENN was because of connections one of his coaches (I think the HC) had with the program. There was a huge writeup about it several years ago in one of my local papers.

But the constant turnover hurt him and a number of Tennessee prospects. Works out great for us though because I think he'll have success at the next level. I'm not saying he'll be Adrian Foster but there's no reason he can't be encouragement to trade Williams or Stewart in a few years.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#116 » by TheKingofSting » Tue May 1, 2012 8:31 pm

Jaruff wrote:IIRC, he made his decision really, really early in the year and he later publicly felt that he made the wrong decision to commit so early. I think he ended up visiting some other schools but still chose TENN. Personally, I think the only reason he chose TENN was because of connections one of his coaches (I think the HC) had with the program. There was a huge writeup about it several years ago in one of my local papers.

But the constant turnover hurt him and a number of Tennessee prospects. Works out great for us though because I think he'll have success at the next level. I'm not saying he'll be Adrian Foster but there's no reason he can't be encouragement to trade Williams or Stewart in a few years.

Gotcha. I am a UT fan but don't really follow recruiting as much as some.

ohara
Head Coach

Post#117 » by ohara » Wed May 2, 2012 10:26 pm

Very interesting note in the Charlotte Observer today. Said the Panthers were set to take Mark Barron at #9, but when he went #7, Kuechly was their next choice. Guess they dont have any faith in Sherrod Martin as Safety.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#118 » by penquin11 » Thu May 3, 2012 12:49 am

Sherrod Martin was terrible last year, whenever a team gives up a 10+ yard run or 15+ yard throw the Safeties have to be partially to blame because they are supossed to be the last line of defense against big plays, Martin gave up SO many big plays last year- and he can't even play at the line like a LB, hes **** useless. Look for Reggie Smith to beat him out in preseason competition
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark

Return to Carolina Panthers