Bears Free Agent Signings

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

Chewie
Lead Assistant
And1: 336

Re: Bears Free Agent Signings 

Post#61 » by Chewie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:44 pm

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:
Free agent running back Michael Bush is visiting the Chicago Bears on Wednesday, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. He also is scheduled to visit the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/p ... um=twitter

And you thought you'd be the #2 back, Kahlil ? Bush may not have averaged 4 YPC last year but he almost hit the century mark for the season and can catch the rock as well.
Turn down for what?
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Post#62 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:48 pm

alucryts wrote:The only year Cutler, Royal, and Marshall together produced:

Cutler: 4,526 yards, 25 tds, 17 ints
Marshall: 104 receptions, 1,265 yards, 6 tds
Royal: 91 receptions, 980 yards, 5 tds

:o......then...... :D
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#63 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Just food for thought.

What if our Offensive Line is not as bad as we think?

It's quite possible that the scheme Tice was instructed to employ for Mike Martz was simply archaic & asinine. Martz's offensive scheme called for a ton of 7 step drops, which may have worked back in the day with the Rams, but was ill-equipped to handle the evolution of size/speed ratio that today's D-Linemen possess.

It seemed like whenever Martz was forced to utilize quick drops, our offensive line looked damn good. Then, Martz would go back to the 7 step drop format & Cutler would get mauled.

All I'm saying is that maybe our talent on the O-Line is good, but Martz's system made them look bad.
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#64 » by blumeany » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:30 pm

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:Just food for thought.

What if our Offensive Line is not as bad as we think?

It's quite possible that the scheme Tice was instructed to employ for Mike Martz was simply archaic & asinine. Martz's offensive scheme called for a ton of 7 step drops, which may have worked back in the day with the Rams, but was ill-equipped to handle the evolution of size/speed ratio that today's D-Linemen possess.

It seemed like whenever Martz was forced to utilize quick drops, our offensive line looked damn good. Then, Martz would go back to the 7 step drop format & Cutler would get mauled.

All I'm saying is that maybe our talent on the O-Line is good, but Martz's system made them look bad.

Well, I have to think that the fact we haven't signed or seemingly are pursuing any FA linemen, that the Bears think they are 'OK' in that dept. - or have an idea of who they can get in the draft.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,169

Post#65 » by alucryts » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:33 pm

I think we have a decent offensive line under the proper system, but I don't think it is a strength in any system. I think if we beef up the O-line and D-line in addition to our upgraded skill positions, everything will fall into place. Give Marshall, Royal (yup optimistic), and Cutler all day and we will tear up defenses.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#66 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:44 pm

@blumeany & alucryts.

Good points. I guess the Bears next few moves will tell us a lot about what we currently have on the O-line.
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by alucryts » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:49 pm

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:@blumeany & alucryts.

Good points. I guess the Bears next few moves will tell us a lot about what we currently have on the O-line.

I agree. I think we can be average staying put, but I want this line to be a strength.
Chewie
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by Chewie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Still....not too many undrafted starting left tackles out there for a reason. I'd feel better if we made a move. What's Levi Brown doing ?
Turn down for what?
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by alucryts » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Just for the record I do want us to upgrade the OL. What about Carimi to LT?
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#70 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:29 pm

IIRC, Carmini was a LT in college. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Another option just hit the market, but he's another guard.

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Browns released offensive lineman Eric Steinbach, once one of the free-agent prizes some players are today.

http://twitter.com/#!/espn/nfl
Chewie
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by Chewie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:33 pm

Wimbley decision should come by Friday as Raiders demanding he restructure his contract by then or he'll be cut. He's ranked right up there with Mincey - who we just missed out on - if not higher.
Turn down for what?
Chewie
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by Chewie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:35 pm

alucryts wrote:Just for the record I do want us to upgrade the OL. What about Carimi to LT?

Couldn't be worse than Webb but scouts up and down said he didn't have the footwork to play LT coming out of college. Need to get him healthy first - he's still not at that point yet. Hard to believe.
Turn down for what?
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by alucryts » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Chewie wrote:
alucryts wrote:Just for the record I do want us to upgrade the OL. What about Carimi to LT?

Couldn't be worse than Webb but scouts up and down said he didn't have the footwork to play LT coming out of college. Need to get him healthy first - he's still not at that point yet. Hard to believe.

Good point. Do you think our best bet is the continued development of Webb at LT, Carimi at RT, Garza at C, and Williams at G while adding another G?
Chewie
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by Chewie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:40 pm

According to NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora, it's looking "less and less likely" that the Colts will trade DE Dwight Freeney due to his $14.035 million salary and a cap figure north of $19 million. Now that Cory Redding has signed to play end in Chuck Pagano's defense, Freeney is a candidate for release.

Just turned 32 In Feb....why the hell not bring him in and give him the recruiting pitch ?
Turn down for what?
Chewie
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by Chewie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:42 pm

alucryts wrote:
Chewie wrote:

Good point. Do you think our best bet is the continued development of Webb at LT, Carimi at RT, Garza at C, and Williams at G while adding another G?

No - I've given up on Webb @ LT. If Williams can't handle the shift back to LT then we need new blood in there either from the draft or free agency which is why I brought up Levi Brown who I thought had a resurgence last year after initially disappointing out of college as a high pick.
Turn down for what?
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#76 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 pm

I'm content with our interior lineman. I don't see too much wrong with an interior of Garza (LG), Spencer (C), Louis (RG), & Edwin Williams as a swing guard/center.
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by alucryts » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not too knowledgeable about anything offensive line beyond the very basics.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#78 » by DJhitek » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:05 pm

The Bears have to go WR or Corner in the first round, no offensive linemen that late in the first round will make such an impact where I can't get a comparable talent in the second or third round. Marshall is an awesome receiver, but unless we want a guy who is double covered relentlessly, then we need more speed on the outside.

I'd even suggest going LB in the first round if it's BPA, but if Kendal Wright or Floyd are there, you have to take him. Getting a Brandon Marshall shouldn't preclude you from continuing to add more offensive playmakers.

Getting a corner is self explanatory, Tim Jennings isn't the answer, not now, not ever.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#79 » by DJhitek » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Chewie wrote:Wimbley decision should come by Friday as Raiders demanding he restructure his contract by then or he'll be cut. He's ranked right up there with Mincey - who we just missed out on - if not higher.

I'm warming up to Wimbley, just a little, but slowly I am. :)
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#80 » by heir_jordan22 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:00 am

Hopefully GM Jay Cutler gets his way and the bears get Royal.... I'll probably crap myself.

Return to Chicago Bears