Image Image Image Image

Bears Free Agent Signings

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

Chewie
Lead Assistant
And1: 336

Re: Bears Free Agent Signings 

Post#81 » by Chewie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:37 am

Kellen Davis back in the fold with a 2yr deal. No word on dollars yet. Let's see what he can do now that he's free from Martz.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-davis-gets-new-deal-from-bears-20120314,0,1094512.story

EDIT: It's $6m over 2yrs. Good deal as I heard originally he may get as much as $3.5 per yr based on comparables.
Turn down for what?
Chewie
Lead Assistant

Post#82 » by Chewie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:38 am

DJhitek wrote:The Bears have to go WR or Corner in the first round, no offensive linemen that late in the first round will make such an impact where I can't get a comparable talent in the second or third round. Marshall is an awesome receiver, but unless we want a guy who is double covered relentlessly, then we need more speed on the outside.

I'd even suggest going LB in the first round if it's BPA, but if Kendal Wright or Floyd are there, you have to take him. Getting a Brandon Marshall shouldn't preclude you from continuing to add more offensive playmakers.

Getting a corner is self explanatory, Tim Jennings isn't the answer, not now, not ever.

I just don't see us going CB - we just consistently ignore the position. Speaking of which....I see we have Kelvin Hayden scheduled for a visit.
Turn down for what?
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#83 » by heir_jordan22 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:50 am

Do we know the $ figures for Jennings yet?

Unless we get a DE in FA I think the Bears will go DE in round 1.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Post#84 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:52 am

blumeany wrote:I'd like to see them bring in Laurent Robinson as our #2

He's a goner.

Adam Schefter ‏
Jacksonville reached agreement with former Dallas free-agent wide receiver Laurent Robinson on a five-year, $32.5 million deal.

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter
Chewie
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by Chewie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:02 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:Do we know the $ figures for Jennings yet?

Yeah, possibly. Seems like we still have options in FA, though. Been looking at tape of Whitney Mercilus and came away hoping we didn't draft him. I like my DEs to come with a motor.
Turn down for what?
Chewie
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by Chewie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:07 am

That's odd- I can't find the contract terms anywhere.
Turn down for what?
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#87 » by DJhitek » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:08 am

Chewie wrote:
DJhitek wrote:The Bears have to go WR or Corner in the first round, no offensive linemen that late in the first round will make such an impact where I can't get a comparable talent in the second or third round. Marshall is an awesome receiver, but unless we want a guy who is double covered relentlessly, then we need more speed on the outside.

I'd even suggest going LB in the first round if it's BPA, but if Kendal Wright or Floyd are there, you have to take him. Getting a Brandon Marshall shouldn't preclude you from continuing to add more offensive playmakers.

Getting a corner is self explanatory, Tim Jennings isn't the answer, not now, not ever.

I just don't see us going CB - we just consistently ignore the position. Speaking of which....I see we have Kelvin Hayden scheduled for a visit.

If Kirkpatrick falls I'd be stunned if the Bears didn't go after him, no way we ignore the position if we don't get a bookend to compliment Peppers. At least I'd have to believe that to be the case.

BTW, how good would we be with Blackmon lining up opposite of Marshall...yikes.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#88 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 am

Chewie wrote:

Yeah, possibly. Seems like we still have options in FA, though. Been looking at tape of Whitney Mercilus and came away hoping we didn't draft him. I like my DEs to come with a motor.

It seems that my Mario Williams dream is slowly fading away because of Chewie's earlier info & the tweet that the Buffalo Bills just put out stating that he was staying another night to return to their headquarters in the morning :( .
Buffalo Bills ‏ @buffalobills
Mario Williams has left 1 Bills Drive for the evening. He plans to stay in Buffalo for the evening and return to 1 Bills Drive in the am.

Maybe plan B is Dwight Freeney when the Colts release him :dontknow: .
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,397

Post#89 » by fleet » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:24 am

I know nothing about the salary structure of NFL teams. If the Bears spend the rest of their cap on another free agent i.e. Williams, how do they pay their draft picks? Or fill out the bottom of the roster?
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#90 » by blumeany » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Can't help but feel a little underwhelmed. Bears are having a press conference today, so I"m guessing they are just about done with any 'big' signings. Just thought there were more holes we could have filled with free agency. Barring any trades, we're now at the mercy of the draft.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
blumeany
RealGM

Post#91 » by blumeany » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:54 pm

fleet wrote:I know nothing about the salary structure of NFL teams. If the Bears spend the rest of their cap on another free agent i.e. Williams, how do they pay their draft picks? Or fill out the bottom of the roster?

They don't. :) I'm guessing that Williams would either have to agree to a smaller deal, or the Bears would need to cut some players to make room.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#92 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:25 pm

blumeany wrote:Can't help but feel a little underwhelmed. Bears are having a press conference today, so I"m guessing they are just about done with any 'big' signings. Just thought there were more holes we could have filled with free agency. Barring any trades, we're now at the mercy of the draft.

The press conference with players if set for tomorrow.

Kevin Seifert

Press conference Friday. RT: @BMarshall: Just landed in Chicago the journey here has begun. Bear fans are AMAZING already. #beardown

http://twitter.com/#!/espn/nfl

:clap:
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,169

Post#93 » by alucryts » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Brandon Marshall's first "bear down". :lol:
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#94 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Chris Mortensen ‏

Bills have a 1:30 presser to announce Mario Williams signing, per sources.

Adam Schefter

Mario Williams gets a six-year deal from the Buffalo Bills.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUwcCp7LPE[/youtube]

EDIT:
Aaron Rodgers ‏
Congrats to Mario Williams signing in buffalo... far away from the NFC north, thanks big guy

http://twitter.com/#!/AaronRodgers12
emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 133

Post#95 » by emperorjones » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:40 pm

blumeany wrote:Can't help but feel a little underwhelmed. Bears are having a press conference today, so I"m guessing they are just about done with any 'big' signings. Just thought there were more holes we could have filled with free agency. Barring any trades, we're now at the mercy of the draft.

So getting a game changing #1 WR for the first time in modern or not so modern Bears history didn't get your Packer panties in a bunch? :wink:

Brandon Marshall had been a free agent, he would have been the top prize & would have cost a ton. The fact we got him so cheap makes this offseason on its own. Think of the flexibility we have in the draft now.
blumeany
RealGM

Post#96 » by blumeany » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Aaron Rodgers ‏ @AaronRodgers12 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Congrats to Mario Williams signing in buffalo... far away from the NFC north, thanks big guy
Retweeted by Brad Biggs

What a douche. :lol: Man, if Buffalo wasn't so hell bent on getting raped, Aaron and Stafford would be crapping their pants right now. :D
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by alucryts » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:01 pm

Well off to football Siberia for Mario!
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#98 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:05 pm

alucryts wrote:Well off to football Siberia for Mario!

:lol: He can use the money below to keep himself warm & entertained, though.
Adam Schefter

Mario Williams' deal in Buffalo: six years, up to $100 million, including $50 million guaranteed.

Also
Dickerson and Wright

Freeney and Wimbley could still pop loose and offer Bears a significant upgrade at DE.

alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by alucryts » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Maybe he can make bonfires out of singles or something.
Chewie
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by Chewie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Hold up there. Wait on Wimbley and Freeney decisions coming very soon....
Turn down for what?

Return to Chicago Bears