Image Image Image Image

Mel Tucker coming back for 2014

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Re: Mel Tucker expected to be back. 

Post#41 » by blumeany » Thu Jan 2, 2014 12:36 am

bearadonisdna wrote:Sdly i think the only way for there to be some accountability on the defense, not this excuse narrative, that this has to turn into a bonafide witch hunt. Cuz seriously other than extreme consumer lashback will only push tucker out of the friend zone. The guy probably single handly retired like 3 HOfers, and flattened the tires on a couple of other guys brigg, tillman, jennings.

Lay down the pipe, my friend. What really happened is Emery sold Tucker some pets.com stock right before the bubble burst.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#42 » by BR0D1E86 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 1:54 am

bearadonisdna wrote:Sdly i think the only way for there to be some accountability on the defense, not this excuse narrative, that this has to turn into a bonafide witch hunt. Cuz seriously other than extreme consumer lashback will only push tucker out of the friend zone. The guy probably single handly retired like 3 HOfers, and flattened the tires on a couple of other guys brigg, tillman, jennings.

Are you serious with this post?
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#43 » by bearadonisdna » Thu Jan 2, 2014 1:58 am

BR0D1E86 wrote:

Are you serious with this post?

The underlined is the only part thats not 100% serious!
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#44 » by CBS7 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 1:59 am

There's "excuse narrative" and "perfectly explainable things that happen that can't be blamed on one individual".

Listen. No one here is a fan of Tucker. But management has decided to keep him and we are simply looking on the bright side. You are literally trying to blame 100% of the failures of this defense, and in turn this team, on one person. That's not how this game works. You even go as far as saying the injuries are his fault and that keeping him is a move towards tanking. That is just nonsensical.

**** happens. Lovie had a 27th ranked defense a year after being 3rd with no where near the injury or roster turnover issues this year's team had.

It was everyone's fault. The players, the coaching, the injuries, the management.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#45 » by bearadonisdna » Thu Jan 2, 2014 2:00 am

so he retired one hall of famer (urlacher)and peppers. So i overexagerrated.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#46 » by bearadonisdna » Thu Jan 2, 2014 2:04 am

oops my bad CBS7 if u read that last post i deleted it was wrong cuz i misread ur post about lovie . i thought u meant in 2007.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#47 » by bearadonisdna » Thu Jan 2, 2014 2:07 am

cbs7-
Lovie wasnt the coordinator after the sb. We saw the difference right there of how the same talent grossly under performed with a worse coordinator.
Lovie just took credit for the d when they played well, we all know he wasnt calling the plays.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#48 » by bearadonisdna » Thu Jan 2, 2014 2:12 am

i know u explained no one here is fan of tucker. I guess i should just put on my big boy pants and take it. Like u said ur looking at the bright side so i guess theres no reason to bitch and moan even tho is babich times deux except this time its worse.
but its still so early in the offseaon so retaining him may not be written in stone.
BR0D1E86
RealGM

Post#49 » by BR0D1E86 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 2:59 am

bearadonisdna wrote:so he retired one hall of famer (urlacher)and peppers. So i overexagerrated.

He didn't retire anybody. Emery made him an offer that Urlacher felt wasn't enough. It was a good bit more than the nothing that any other nfl team offered him though so he decided to retire.

I can't blame him for Peppers. The guy just looked like a different player this year.
The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant
And1: 493

Post#50 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Thu Jan 2, 2014 5:37 am

BR0D1E86 wrote:I'm not so sure. They were 27th in yards under Lovie in 2007. They were right around 20 three of the next few years after that. I don't believe any of those years had the catastrophic injuries of this season.

I think Tucker was very unimpressive, and I'd be perfectly fine with replacing him. He does have an excuse though.

I guess the reason I would excuse the yards was because ultimately they didn't allow much points. It was excused as a "bend, don't break" defense in the leaner years.
TLDR: Current Pulse Readings (9/2/22)
Bulls: :pray:
UCLA Basketball: :dontknow:
UCLA Football: Chip Kelly magic time
Cubs: Uh, 2016
Blackhawks: Uh, 2015
Bears: Poor Justin Fields
FC Barcelona: Economic levers :dontknow: :cheesygrin:
BullHeaded
Sixth Man
And1: 195

Post#51 » by BullHeaded » Thu Jan 2, 2014 6:46 am

CBS7 wrote:But management has decided to keep him and we are simply looking on the bright side. You are literally trying to blame 100% of the failures of this defense, and in turn this team, on one person.

I think it is unreasonable for anyone to think that if this team had been in better health, the defense would have been as bad. If the contract situation was similar to last year's, where 9 out of 11 defensive starters were coming back for one more year, I would see the logic in giving him one more chance. The only way you can really pull it off though this year with 7 out of 11 defensive starters coming out of contract this year is to only sign key FAs to one year contracts and to draft scheme neutral players so we'd have the flexibility to go with the best possible option when we get a conclusion.

I don't think this is ideal, but it sounds like the reality is Mel is coming back (I am in the acceptance stage). I would re-sign a lot of these guys to one year contracts if they'll take it and try to draft cover corners and good athletic safeties. I'd stay away from drafting a front seven guy unless it was a DE who could fit in any front. For DT... try to get either Ratliff, Melton or both back for one year. If things work out with this defense and the mobile, upfield DTs are the way to go... extend them or draft another. But if this doesn't work out and we decide to sniff around a 3-4 front (or a 4-3 front with the big DTs Jauron faovored), hopefully we'll have a chance to get a big space-eater in the 2015 draft.

As crazy as it sounds, for this offseason, the long term moves may be best reserved for the offense. The OL can still use some improvement, Garza and Slauson are FAs and Mills hasn't been outstanding... and we may also be interested in a developmental QB. At least we know this offense is here to stay and we have a blue print to buy materials for.
BR0D1E86
RealGM

Post#52 » by BR0D1E86 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 12:43 pm

The 6ft Hurdle wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:I'm not so sure. They were 27th in yards under Lovie in 2007. They were right around 20 three of the next few years after that. I don't believe any of those years had the catastrophic injuries of this season.

I think Tucker was very unimpressive, and I'd be perfectly fine with replacing him. He does have an excuse though.

I guess the reason I would excuse the yards was because ultimately they didn't allow much points. It was excused as a "bend, don't break" defense in the leaner years.

They still went through a 3 year stretch there where the Bears were about 20th in points allowed. Lovie was a good defensive coach, but he wasn't infallible.
MalcolmXing
Banned User
And1: 503

Post#53 » by MalcolmXing » Thu Jan 2, 2014 1:29 pm

dantonio
blumeany
RealGM

Post#54 » by blumeany » Thu Jan 2, 2014 5:17 pm

Confusing press conference with Trestman defending the hell out of Tucker, but not committing to him.
BullHeaded
Sixth Man
And1: 195

Post#55 » by BullHeaded » Thu Jan 2, 2014 5:53 pm

blumeany wrote:Confusing press conference with Trestman defending the hell out of Tucker, but not committing to him.

It's interesting... He didn't commit to Tucker at DC, McClellan at DE, a 4-3... It sounded like as he said "everything is on the table". We'll see if thinking about change equals change. But in years past brass seemed more stubborn about these things. I only ask that they are open minded and make thoughtful decisions.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,106

Post#56 » by patryk7754 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 6:06 pm

Hopefully we hire guy who can work with tucker. Like our OC and HC do
blumeany
RealGM

Post#57 » by blumeany » Sat Jan 4, 2014 3:45 am

Well, Leslie Frazier is off the table. He's going to be DC in Tampa. Which is odd, since you know Lovie will be calling the shots. Thought he'd have a better role with the Bears.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#58 » by bearadonisdna » Sat Jan 4, 2014 4:03 am

blumeany wrote:Well, Leslie Frazier is off the table. He's going to be DC in Tampa. Which is odd, since you know Lovie will be calling the shots. Thought he'd have a better role with the Bears.

dude i think im gonna be sick.
The Sheik
General Manager
And1: 0

Mel Tucker will return in '14 

Post#59 » by The Sheik » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:29 pm

PER Bears twitter.

DL coach Mike Phair and LB coach Tim Tibesar are out.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/422479195843739648
Chaomino
Junior
And1: 18

Re: Mel Tucker will return in '14 

Post#60 » by Chaomino » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Not a surprise after Trestman's press conference on Black Monday
GO BULLS GO

Return to Chicago Bears