Image Image Image Image

Cutler 2020

Moderators: chitownsports4ever, emperorjones

Playoff wins

More than 7
10
38%
Less Than 7
16
62%
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
RedBulls83
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 28,205
And1: 11,160
Joined: Jan 19, 2009
Location: Waiting in Grant Park
       

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#141 » by RedBulls83 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 6:14 am

BR0D1E86 wrote:Here's my position: Jay Cutler isn't worth even close to that much money. And giving it to him means we don't have it to reinvest in our defense.

That's faulty logic, because Cutler's contract isn't going to prevent Emery from rebuilding the defense. There is still the draft and the Bears will still have cap space sign another piece or two.
Straight Buckets!

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/NinetiesDynasty
User avatar
blumeany
RealGM
Posts: 16,545
And1: 2,325
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Location: Chicago
       

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#142 » by blumeany » Mon Jan 6, 2014 2:32 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:Here's my position: Jay Cutler isn't worth even close to that much money. And giving it to him means we don't have it to reinvest in our defense.

That's faulty logic, because Cutler's contract isn't going to prevent Emery from rebuilding the defense. There is still the draft and the Bears will still have cap space sign another piece or two.


Exactly. The way you have to think about it is that every team with even a decent QB has to play this much to keep him. It's almost as if this part of your cap is automatically carved out for your QB. The real problem here is Josh McCown and his freakishly good streak. That is what is making everyone and their mother's brother think that we can just throw Rex Grossman in there and we'd be fine. :lol:
blumeany wrote:This will not end well. :lol:
User avatar
BR0D1E86
RealGM
Posts: 16,653
And1: 1,447
Joined: Jul 18, 2002
       

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#143 » by BR0D1E86 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 11:14 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:Here's my position: Jay Cutler isn't worth even close to that much money. And giving it to him means we don't have it to reinvest in our defense.

That's faulty logic, because Cutler's contract isn't going to prevent Emery from rebuilding the defense. There is still the draft and the Bears will still have cap space sign another piece or two.

It's not faulty logic. Giving Cutler 18 million dollars means you have less money to spend on your defense, period. My choice plan, if Cutler demanded this much money, was to let him walk, bring in Mccown for 3 years at 4-5 per and draft a guy. Then take that 15 million you didn't give to Cutler and buy yourself a pass rusher. I think it's a wiser allocation of resources.

I certainly hope that Trestman's coaching gets Cutler to play up to his level of pay. He's paid like a guy who carries his team deep into the playoffs every year, not a guy that's played in two playoff games, completing 50% of his passes with more turnovers than touchdowns. If he buys in and plays to the offense like Mccown did, his superior physical gifts could make him elite. But in my eyes you're paying for potential and the guy's 30. It's just not what I would have done.
User avatar
RedBulls83
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 28,205
And1: 11,160
Joined: Jan 19, 2009
Location: Waiting in Grant Park
       

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#144 » by RedBulls83 » Tue Jan 7, 2014 12:42 am

BR0D1E86 wrote:It's not faulty logic. Giving Cutler 18 million dollars means you have less money to spend on your defense, period. My choice plan, if Cutler demanded this much money, was to let him walk, bring in Mccown for 3 years at 4-5 per and draft a guy. Then take that 15 million you didn't give to Cutler and buy yourself a pass rusher. I think it's a wiser allocation of resources.

I certainly hope that Trestman's coaching gets Cutler to play up to his level of pay. He's paid like a guy who carries his team deep into the playoffs every year, not a guy that's played in two playoff games, completing 50% of his passes with more turnovers than touchdowns. If he buys in and plays to the offense like Mccown did, his superior physical gifts could make him elite. But in my eyes you're paying for potential and the guy's 30. It's just not what I would have done.

Of course it's faulty. Again, Cutler's contract is not preventing the defense from getting better. Look at other teams that are paying their QB's around the same as Cutler and their defenses are not all as bad as the Bears.

Please give me a **** break with this Mccown nonsense. Guy plays out of his mind for like 6 games and certain Bears fans want get rid of a starting QB for him? The guy is 34 years old. A career 70's passer rating and for his career before this year had more INT than TDs. On top of that Mccown is already talking about possibly retiring and you think he would be a viable option for 3 years? And then there is no guarantee that you even draft a QB that is going to be as good as Cutler. It a very risky move that likely could leave the Bears where they were before Cutler got here. No stability at the QB position. Why break the offense when that is your strength? And why depend on a career back up to begin with?

As for the playoff thing, See Romo, Stafford, Matt Ryan, Schaub ect. Those guys haven't played many playoff games either. Fact is, starting QB's are just paid this much. Yes Cutler is over paid, but like I said earlier, so is every other QB that isn't on a rookie contract except for Brady, P. Manning, Brees and Rodgers. I wish the Bears would have signed Cutler for about 5 million a year less, but they didn't. But again, it does not prevent them from making the defense better. And in the end, that's really what matters.
Straight Buckets!

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/NinetiesDynasty
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 24,439
And1: 1,040
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Location: Dallas

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#145 » by CBS7 » Tue Jan 7, 2014 1:18 am

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:Here's my position: Jay Cutler isn't worth even close to that much money. And giving it to him means we don't have it to reinvest in our defense.

That's faulty logic, because Cutler's contract isn't going to prevent Emery from rebuilding the defense. There is still the draft and the Bears will still have cap space sign another piece or two.

It's not faulty logic. Giving Cutler 18 million dollars means you have less money to spend on your defense, period. My choice plan, if Cutler demanded this much money, was to let him walk, bring in Mccown for 3 years at 4-5 per and draft a guy. Then take that 15 million you didn't give to Cutler and buy yourself a pass rusher. I think it's a wiser allocation of resources.

I certainly hope that Trestman's coaching gets Cutler to play up to his level of pay. He's paid like a guy who carries his team deep into the playoffs every year, not a guy that's played in two playoff games, completing 50% of his passes with more turnovers than touchdowns. If he buys in and plays to the offense like Mccown did, his superior physical gifts could make him elite. But in my eyes you're paying for potential and the guy's 30. It's just not what I would have done.


I don't know. I just feel like a lot of people put a huge amount of stock into McCown's hotstreak against bottom feeder defenses. It's a very small sample size. He's a career backup for a reason, and he's 34.

What happens if we go with McCown/young guy, and McCown goes back to his career form? We're stuck with him and a rookie, which most likely means we're throwing away the next year or two with the way our defense played. Not to mention, that pick spent on a QB is a pick we can spend on our defense, so not going with Cutler and drafting a QB also takes us away from an option to rebuild the defense.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 24,439
And1: 1,040
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Location: Dallas

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#146 » by CBS7 » Tue Jan 7, 2014 1:21 am

It's easy to look around the league and envy all the team's with good/great looking young QBs. But all I remember is going through Kordell Stewart/Chris Chandler/Rex Grossman/Chad Hutchinson/Craig Krenzel/Johnathan Quinn/Grossman Again/Kyle Orton/Brian Griese in a span of 6 years.

Definitely want to have our next QB after Cutler join the team while we still have a guy like Trestman coaching..

Cutler just needs to stay healthy. IMO, that's the most valid concern people have with the massive contract.
User avatar
BR0D1E86
RealGM
Posts: 16,653
And1: 1,447
Joined: Jul 18, 2002
       

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#147 » by BR0D1E86 » Tue Jan 7, 2014 8:53 am

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:It's not faulty logic. Giving Cutler 18 million dollars means you have less money to spend on your defense, period. My choice plan, if Cutler demanded this much money, was to let him walk, bring in Mccown for 3 years at 4-5 per and draft a guy. Then take that 15 million you didn't give to Cutler and buy yourself a pass rusher. I think it's a wiser allocation of resources.

I certainly hope that Trestman's coaching gets Cutler to play up to his level of pay. He's paid like a guy who carries his team deep into the playoffs every year, not a guy that's played in two playoff games, completing 50% of his passes with more turnovers than touchdowns. If he buys in and plays to the offense like Mccown did, his superior physical gifts could make him elite. But in my eyes you're paying for potential and the guy's 30. It's just not what I would have done.

Of course it's faulty. Again, Cutler's contract is not preventing the defense from getting better. Look at other teams that are paying their QB's around the same as Cutler and their defenses are not all as bad as the Bears.

Please give me a **** break with this Mccown nonsense. Guy plays out of his mind for like 6 games and certain Bears fans want get rid of a starting QB for him? The guy is 34 years old. A career 70's passer rating and for his career before this year had more INT than TDs. On top of that Mccown is already talking about possibly retiring and you think he would be a viable option for 3 years? And then there is no guarantee that you even draft a QB that is going to be as good as Cutler. It a very risky move that likely could leave the Bears where they were before Cutler got here. No stability at the QB position. Why break the offense when that is your strength? And why depend on a career back up to begin with?

As for the playoff thing, See Romo, Stafford, Matt Ryan, Schaub ect. Those guys haven't played many playoff games either. Fact is, starting QB's are just paid this much. Yes Cutler is over paid, but like I said earlier, so is every other QB that isn't on a rookie contract except for Brady, P. Manning, Brees and Rodgers. I wish the Bears would have signed Cutler for about 5 million a year less, but they didn't. But again, it does not prevent them from making the defense better. And in the end, that's really what matters.

Your argument is "well they can make the defense better anyway." Of course they can. It's just going to be a lot harder now that they're paying a guy who has never played better than he 12th to 15th best quarterback in the league like he's Peyton Manning.

If he immediately cuts his interception rate in half and stops getting hurt for a third of every season it's not a bad deal. I'm not betting on a 30 old doing it.
User avatar
RedBulls83
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 28,205
And1: 11,160
Joined: Jan 19, 2009
Location: Waiting in Grant Park
       

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#148 » by RedBulls83 » Tue Jan 7, 2014 9:19 am

Edit: double post
Straight Buckets!

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/NinetiesDynasty
User avatar
RedBulls83
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 28,205
And1: 11,160
Joined: Jan 19, 2009
Location: Waiting in Grant Park
       

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#149 » by RedBulls83 » Tue Jan 7, 2014 9:39 am

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:It's not faulty logic. Giving Cutler 18 million dollars means you have less money to spend on your defense, period. My choice plan, if Cutler demanded this much money, was to let him walk, bring in Mccown for 3 years at 4-5 per and draft a guy. Then take that 15 million you didn't give to Cutler and buy yourself a pass rusher. I think it's a wiser allocation of resources.

I certainly hope that Trestman's coaching gets Cutler to play up to his level of pay. He's paid like a guy who carries his team deep into the playoffs every year, not a guy that's played in two playoff games, completing 50% of his passes with more turnovers than touchdowns. If he buys in and plays to the offense like Mccown did, his superior physical gifts could make him elite. But in my eyes you're paying for potential and the guy's 30. It's just not what I would have done.

Of course it's faulty. Again, Cutler's contract is not preventing the defense from getting better. Look at other teams that are paying their QB's around the same as Cutler and their defenses are not all as bad as the Bears.

Please give me a **** break with this Mccown nonsense. Guy plays out of his mind for like 6 games and certain Bears fans want get rid of a starting QB for him? The guy is 34 years old. A career 70's passer rating and for his career before this year had more INT than TDs. On top of that Mccown is already talking about possibly retiring and you think he would be a viable option for 3 years? And then there is no guarantee that you even draft a QB that is going to be as good as Cutler. It a very risky move that likely could leave the Bears where they were before Cutler got here. No stability at the QB position. Why break the offense when that is your strength? And why depend on a career back up to begin with?

As for the playoff thing, See Romo, Stafford, Matt Ryan, Schaub ect. Those guys haven't played many playoff games either. Fact is, starting QB's are just paid this much. Yes Cutler is over paid, but like I said earlier, so is every other QB that isn't on a rookie contract except for Brady, P. Manning, Brees and Rodgers. I wish the Bears would have signed Cutler for about 5 million a year less, but they didn't. But again, it does not prevent them from making the defense better. And in the end, that's really what matters.

Your argument is "well they can make the defense better anyway." Of course they can. It's just going to be a lot harder now that they're paying a guy who has never played better than he 12th to 15th best quarterback in the league like he's Peyton Manning.

If he immediately cuts his interception rate in half and stops getting hurt for a third of every season it's not a bad deal. I'm not betting on a 30 old doing it.

He just needs to stay healthy. That is the only real concern and a valid one.

Your opinion of his rank is subjective. Sometimes a QB is only as good as what you surround him with. In his tenure with Chicago, he has consistently been surrounded by crap players (recievers, TE and olinemen) and crappy OCs and a different offenses every year. All at the same time, mind you. Way too many inconsistencies for any qb to overcome. Sure, for example, guys like Rodgers and Big Ben have had just as bad olinemen. However, they still had the receivers, TEs, OC and solid offense that they ran and played in.

And it's not going to be A LOT harder to make the defnese better. Sure it will be a little harder, but no reason to get rid of a good starting qb over. Like I said, teams that are paying their qbs as much as we are paying Cutler, also have a average to good defenses.

Good starting level qbs get paid in this leauge. Not just elitle qbs like Peyton Manning. It's just an unfortunate position that some teams are in.
Straight Buckets!

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/NinetiesDynasty
User avatar
RedBulls83
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 28,205
And1: 11,160
Joined: Jan 19, 2009
Location: Waiting in Grant Park
       

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#150 » by RedBulls83 » Tue Jan 7, 2014 4:24 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/

Cutler signed a $126.7 million, seven-year contract that includes $54 million guaranteed. His base salary for 2014 is $22.5 million, meaning his salary-cap number is identical. But the team can convert a portion of that base salary to a signing bonus at any time, money that would be prorated over the life of the contract, thus lowering his cap hit for this season.


A veteran player or two could be shed to open up more cap space and the Bears can rework Cutler's cap number or the $5.25 million cap number Jennings carries in 2014 (or any of the other contracts) to create additional space. Basically, it sets up a use-as-you-go situation, one the team also could exercise in future years. The best part of it is the flexibility it gives the team. It doesn't mean the Bears will exercise the clause, but if a need arises in the unrestricted free-agent market, cap room can be created.


An interesting tidbit about Cutler contract. So with this provision included, it means that Cutler's contract (and the other player's they just re-signed) definitely won't prevent the Bears from signing any key defensive player's.
Straight Buckets!

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/NinetiesDynasty
heir_jordan22
Analyst
Posts: 3,748
And1: 173
Joined: Jul 16, 2008
   

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#151 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Jan 7, 2014 6:37 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/

Cutler signed a $126.7 million, seven-year contract that includes $54 million guaranteed. His base salary for 2014 is $22.5 million, meaning his salary-cap number is identical. But the team can convert a portion of that base salary to a signing bonus at any time, money that would be prorated over the life of the contract, thus lowering his cap hit for this season.


A veteran player or two could be shed to open up more cap space and the Bears can rework Cutler's cap number or the $5.25 million cap number Jennings carries in 2014 (or any of the other contracts) to create additional space. Basically, it sets up a use-as-you-go situation, one the team also could exercise in future years. The best part of it is the flexibility it gives the team. It doesn't mean the Bears will exercise the clause, but if a need arises in the unrestricted free-agent market, cap room can be created.


An interesting tidbit about Cutler contract. So with this provision included, it means that Cutler's contract (and the other player's they just re-signed) definitely won't prevent the Bears from signing any key defensive player's.

Good find. Thanks for sharing
User avatar
ManicBullsFan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,718
And1: 3
Joined: Aug 18, 2001
Location: Australia

Re: Cutler 2020 

Post#152 » by ManicBullsFan » Sat Oct 8, 2016 9:14 am

Hows that cutler contract looking now folks :crazy: :banghead:

Return to Chicago Bears