Moderator: chitownsports4ever

emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 133

Bears trade, select Brock Vereen, S 4th round #131 overall 

Post#1 » by emperorjones » Sat May 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Strengths
Very good athlete with fluid movement skills and good range. Competes hard. Runs the alley and can negotiate traffic. Good zone awareness and route recognition. Understands angles and leverage. Can carry receivers in man coverage with little wasted movement in transition on speed turns. Good leaping ability. Very smart, motivated, team player with a passion for the game. Can line up the defense. Outstanding work ethic. Contributes as a gunner on special teams. Has NFL pedigree.

Weaknesses
Has tiny hands, short arms and lacks overall bulk. Does not have ideal length to match up with NFL tight ends in coverage. Not an explosive hitter or forceful tackler. Hands are suspect -- smothers the ball and has just four career interceptions. Long-term durability could be a concern.

Bottom Line
A very smart, pedigreed, rangy free safety with the athletic ability and cover skill desired on the back end. Lack of size and tackling strength could leave much to be desired when defending the run. Top-notch intangibles -- toughness, instincts, competitiveness and leadership ability -- should allow him to quickly emerge as a defensive leader and enhance his draft status.
Cottage Grove
Sophomore
And1: 48

Re: Bears trade, select Brock Vereen, S 4th round #131 overa 

Post#2 » by Cottage Grove » Sat May 10, 2014 6:10 pm

Sounds like a special teamer to me.

Sent from my LG-P769 using RealGM Forums mobile app
You don't appreciate the tap water in Chicago until you go somewhere else and try theirs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XETtxGScVlY
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,206

Post#3 » by fleet » Sat May 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Cottage Grove wrote:Sounds like a special teamer to me.

Yeah, that's what he is
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#4 » by RedBulls23 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:43 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/p ... reen-131st

It’s unknown whether Vereen will seriously challenge for one of the club’s two starting jobs at safety, but he’ll certainly ramp up the competition there. Vereen posted gaudy numbers at the NFL Combine: 4.47-second 40-yard (second fastest among all safeties), 25 bench press repetitions of 225 pounds (tops among all safeties and corners). So in addition to the versatility and experience of playing every position in the secondary, Vereen possesses speed comparable to the game’s top corners with the strength reminiscent of a linebacker.

Snippet from Michael Wrights assessment.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#5 » by fleet » Sat May 10, 2014 6:45 pm

I expect the Bears will pick up a vet safety when teams make final cuts, which will be their main way of getting production from that position this year. They will strike in next year's draft.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,723

Post#6 » by Licensed to Il » Sat May 10, 2014 6:55 pm

I think Vareen has everything you could want in a late fourth round pick: NFL size, strength, and speed, was a team leader in college, good family tree and devotion to the game... I know this is the excitement of the draft talking, but at this point Vareen is a very enticing prospect.

I have no idea if he will become a starter, but he certainly has the foundation to do it. At the very least, Conte needs a legitimate threat on the roster to challenge him to be more consistent and dependable.
patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Post#7 » by patryk7754 » Sat May 10, 2014 7:07 pm

I don't like this pick. Not because of the player but because we had to give up our fifth and Bailey is still on the board, who is far better.
Cottage Grove
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#8 » by Cottage Grove » Sat May 10, 2014 8:31 pm

fleet wrote:I expect the Bears will pick up a vet safety when teams make final cuts, which will be their main way of getting production from that position this year. They will strike in next year's draft.
Yea you can only do so much in the off-season. At this point I can at least come to the conclusion he has common sense.

I can see the bears drafting a safety, C, and a quarterback next year. I'm sure Emery has his little scout minions lined up as we speak.

You don't appreciate the tap water in Chicago until you go somewhere else and try theirs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XETtxGScVlY
emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by emperorjones » Sat May 10, 2014 11:39 pm

Cottage Grove wrote:
fleet wrote:
I can see the bears drafting a safety, C, and a quarterback next year. I'm sure Emery has his little scout minions lined up as we speak.

:nod: We already have our Center to take over for Garza. We signed Brian de la Puente who will be 29 this year and surely will get a 3-4 year extension at years end to be the starter. Also grabbed a QB late this year. So Emery has filled several needs.

I see us being set up to go LB and as you say Safety. Maybe a young Center on day 2? Its really starting to look like we won't be drafting behind the 8 ball anymore with Emery in charge.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#10 » by RedBulls23 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:11 am

emperorjones wrote:
Cottage Grove wrote:
fleet wrote:

:nod: We already have our Center to take over for Garza. We signed Brian de la Puente who will be 29 this year and surely will get a 3-4 year extension at years end to be the starter. Also grabbed a QB late this year. So Emery has filled several needs.

I see us being set up to go LB and as you say Safety. Maybe a young Center on day 2? Its really starting to look like we won't be drafting behind the 8 ball anymore with Emery in charge.

No kidding. It's great seeing that Emery talked about stocking the roster with youth/depth and he is actually following through with that.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by fleet » Wed May 21, 2014 4:01 am

The Bears had him covering slot receivers in rookie camp. Slightly interesting. 5'11 200lbs right? I wonder how much he can do this. Is he a hybrid player..
emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by emperorjones » Wed May 21, 2014 4:53 am

fleet wrote:The Bears had him covering slot receivers in rookie camp. Slightly interesting. 5'11 200lbs right? I wonder how much he can do this. Is he a hybrid player..

2013: Started all 13 games. Switched from safety to CB during the season = First-team All-Big Ten.
2012: Played all 13 games, starting 7 at safety.
2011: Started all 12 games at CB.

Pretty much a hybrid. I like the versatility they are adding. A Safety with corner knowledge/skills.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#13 » by fleet » Wed May 21, 2014 8:01 am

Have the bears explicitly spelled out his pro position? If capable even if part time, he would be another big corner to go with Fuller, and, an intriguing route to take by the Bears to get the other big corner.
emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by emperorjones » Wed May 21, 2014 1:40 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if you are right.

Vereen has the experience and also the physical ability. He ran a 4.47 at the combine which was 2nd amongst Safeties (faster than Pryor & HHCD who both ran 4.58ish) and would have been 10th overall for corners. Also benched 225lbs 25 times which was tops amongst safeties. The guy has solid CB speed and LB strength

I wouldn't be surprised to see us waiting to see how the competition at Safety is playing out with M.D. Jennings, Danny McCray and Ryan Mundy, Conte & Steltz. If that goes well, I could see him getting reps and CB.
clancyphile
Junior
And1: 10

Post#15 » by clancyphile » Wed May 21, 2014 2:54 pm

emperorjones wrote:
fleet wrote:The Bears had him covering slot receivers in rookie camp. Slightly interesting. 5'11 200lbs right? I wonder how much he can do this. Is he a hybrid player..

2013: Started all 13 games. Switched from safety to CB during the season = First-team All-Big Ten.
2012: Played all 13 games, starting 7 at safety.
2011: Started all 12 games at CB.

Pretty much a hybrid. I like the versatility they are adding. A Safety with corner knowledge/skills.

I think this pick is a steal. Vereen could be a huge asset just for the depth he provides.

Return to Chicago Bears