Bears pick up undrafted LB from FSU.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,327

Re: Christian Jones 

Post#2 » by fleet » Sun May 11, 2014 4:01 am

ah, he failed the combine drug test. He has some talent. More competition for Shea McClellin?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... tian-jones
05/08/2014 - 2014 DRAFT SCOUT FINAL TOP 100: 95/9. Christian Jones, OLB, Florida State, 6-3, 240, 4.68, 3...Active, athletic, physical tackler who shows excellent lateral agility and chases sideline to sideline. Tenacious enough against the run to take on and shed lead blockers, yet appears natural dropping into pass coverage. Frankly: Must check into reports he did not pass drug test at combine. Otherwise Jones was a productive, durable, versatile three-year starter with all the physical ability to play that key outside linebacker spot on either side of the formation. - Frank Cooney, NFLDraftScout.com

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Tremendous athlete with has fluid footwork who flawlessly flips his hips to blanket tight ends or receivers down the field in coverage. Tall and long, which he uses well in coverage. Plays with excellent range and speed to chase down the action, taking proper angles in pursuit. Flashes the take-on strength to blow past blockers when he uses proper technique.
WEAKNESSES: Needs to improve his awareness to turn his head and find the ball. Length is advantageous, but at times will cause him to play too upright, and he needs to improve his overall leverage, especially on tackle attempts. Will get hung up on blocks at times.

--Dane Brugler (11/27/13)

PLAYER OVERVIEW

Jones was a five-star prospect by Rivals.com coming out of Lake Howell High School in Winter Park, Fla. While he considered offers from Alabama, Florida, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Tennessee, Jones was a natural fit to land at FSU, where his father, Willie Jones, Sr., starred as a defensive end.
As a true freshman, Jones saw action in all 14 games on special teams and as an occasional reserve linebacker, finishing the season with 18 tackles, three sacks and three tackles for loss.

Jones entered the starting rotation at strong-side linebacker in 2011, finishing second on the team with 56 tackles, six for losses, along with three sacks and a team-high two forced fumbles.

He again started every game in 2012 while moving to the weak side, finishing with a team-high 95 tackles. Jones racked up more tackles in 14 games as a junior than he had in his first 27 games entering the season.

Jones was on the move again as a senior, this time to the middle under new defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt. He went on to finish sixth on the team with 49 tackles while starting 11 of 12 games heading into the BCS title game. Jones also had 7.5 tackles for loss and a pair of sacks to go along with six quarterback hits.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,106

Post#3 » by patryk7754 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:27 am

I believe he played some DE at FSU when then were thin for whatever reason. Very versatile.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#4 » by Posey H8er » Sun May 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Where was he projected to go in the draft pre-pee-test? This could prove to be a valuable signing. Linebacker needs depth, too.
Chitownbulls
General Manager
And1: 2,463

Post#5 » by Chitownbulls » Sun May 11, 2014 11:04 pm

I wanted this guy! I thought he got drafted...thrilled with this. LB that runs around like a safety.
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#6 » by RedBulls23 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:11 am

Posey H8er wrote:Where was he projected to go in the draft pre-pee-test? This could prove to be a valuable signing. Linebacker needs depth, too.

Couple of sites I saw him projected round 2-3.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543710

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... genpos=ILB

Could be a huge steal if he can keep himself clean.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#7 » by fleet » Mon May 12, 2014 2:48 am

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
Posey H8er wrote:Where was he projected to go in the draft pre-pee-test? This could prove to be a valuable signing. Linebacker needs depth, too.

Couple of sites I saw him projected round 2-3.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543710

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... genpos=ILB

Could be a huge steal if he can keep himself clean.

I spent some time last night looking at some game tapes. Despite some hype about his ability to shed blocks, he does not always shed blocks to make plays around him. Plays high, needs to lower his pads and use more power. And he appears slow to recognize where the ball is going at times, so he misses on some other plays. That was actually a scout criticism, that his processor needs to catch up with his raw ability. These could be his ultimate limiting factors. After all, he was slow to recognize that he has a piss test coming up.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#8 » by fleet » Mon May 12, 2014 3:19 am

I think actually he often gets hung on blocks because he doesn't know what is going on during the play until too late to disengage. And he didn't set up a blocker first. He'll catch a block 1st, figure out what is going on 2nd. He does appear strong enough and uses technique to get free, but its too late by that point.

He can be coached up on his high pad level, and things like not catching blocks so easily, always reacting. But to be effective, he has to be able to think faster and be proactive. Like Lance Briggs. Briggs' edge is his mind, he knows what is going on instantly and doesn't get hung up on a block as a result.
T_chandlerfan
Senior
And1: 4
Location: I definitely feel like the fourth quarter is my time

Post#9 » by T_chandlerfan » Tue Jul 8, 2014 7:55 pm

Great size though I hope he makes an impact
James thinks he and Chris Bosh or he and Dwyane Wade would improve any team's fortunes greatly.

"If you put me and Bosh on the same team, if you put me and Wade on the same team, a lot of teams would be much better."

Return to Chicago Bears