Image Image Image Image

Ongoing roster evaluation/Future Needs

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

What is our biggest need for the future?

LB
70%
Safety
22%
CB
9%
TE/slot receiver/returner
No votes
Backup QB
No votes
C
No votes

Total votes: 23

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,206

Re: Ongoing roster evaluation/Future Needs 

Post#21 » by fleet » Sun Oct 5, 2014 9:03 pm

Fire and leadership
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#22 » by GetBuLLish » Sun Oct 5, 2014 9:09 pm

fleet wrote:Fire and leadership

You don't think Trestman provides enough fire?
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#23 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Oct 5, 2014 9:37 pm

Ego has surprised me. I thought he would need to develop for a year but he's been awesome
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,206

Post#24 » by fleet » Sun Oct 5, 2014 9:42 pm

I will say though, at the risk of exiting our Mister, that continuing to spend money on players like Briggs and Forte needs to end. Especially with an overpaid Cutler. This team needs to plug numerous holes with money spent on younger players, and isn't going anywhere right now. Jared Allen for that matter. And Emery needs to up his draft percentage in that pursuit. Made a tough decision with Urlacher. Time to go all the way.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#25 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Oct 5, 2014 9:46 pm

There's no way Briggs is coming back. He's done. And Williams isn't impressive either. Bostic is our best LB right now, I'm not sure why we don't just start him and let him grow. Williams and Jones can split time at the OLB spot while McClellin is gone.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#26 » by City of Trees » Sun Oct 5, 2014 10:55 pm

Because Bostic seems to be better suited to play OLB instead of MLB. And let's be real you will not see the Bears bench Briggs for Bostic this season.

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#27 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 12:17 am

In the nickel package he plays MLB and he does that astronomically better than anything DJ Williams has done all year. If he doesn't start at MLB he needs to start somewhere because he's our best LB and he's not getting enough snaps
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 12:24 am

To whomever voted for safety I'd like to hear your reasoning. Let's get a little debate going.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#29 » by City of Trees » Mon Oct 6, 2014 12:35 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:In the nickel package he plays MLB and he does that astronomically better than anything DJ Williams has done all year. If he doesn't start at MLB he needs to start somewhere because he's our best LB and he's not getting enough snaps
He is getting enough. He hurt his back today and was out

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 1:31 am

Williams gets more snaps than Bostic. That's unacceptable
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 12:13 am

Looks like Frey was replaced by an undrafted rookie. That probably means McManis will be the nickel
patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Post#32 » by patryk7754 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:06 pm

Last year our run defense and pass defense were terrible. This our run defense has improved and when Allen plays our pass rush is better but our pass defense is still bad. We get beat deep way to often because our Safeties can't cover or tackle. Munday has played well but he won't cut it as long as the other safeties are on the field. Idk how good Vereen will be and I liked Dixon coming out of the draft but for some reason they aren't getting a lot of playing time. Idk, if its because they aren't good enough yet or because Tucker is that stupid, probably a combo of both. Derron Smith is a ball hawk and lays the wood. He'd instantly be our best safety. Safety isn't as deep as LB in this draft so I'd go with Safety before LB
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#33 » by patryk7754 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:20 pm

If we decide to cut some major checks on Defense These are the guys I want. Going by position. First choice is at the top of every list.

DT
Gerald McCoy: I think he's the best DT in the NFL. He's improved significantly every year. He plays the run very well and is a great pass rusher just like one of the other greats at DT from the Bucs. All that being said, Idk how likely it is that he leaves.

Ndamukong Suh: Great run stopper. Decent pass rusher. Brings that hit you in the month mentality that we need. Probably going to get more money than McCoy. It's basically a done deal the he leaves the Lions and we have a realistic chance of getting him.

Terrence Knighton: I really liked him while in Jacksonville (I even signed him in the SB game :) ). Last season he established himself as dominate run stopper and a very hard too move body. Probably going to be the best bargain.

Safety
Devin McCourty: McCourty is arguably the best S behind Earl Thomas and he's going to be paid like it.

Antrel Rolle Ever since being moved back to safety from CB Rolle has established himself as a great Safety. Although he's great he is 31 but our offense is a SB offense but they are old so we need ready to win SB players.

Tashaun Gipson This guy is very underrated and improving week by week. We might be able to get him for real cheap but I don't know if he's ready to be a key contributor on a SB defense but I don't think he'll cost us one. If we spend huge money at other positions then Gibson is my number one option at Safety.

LB
Brandon Spikes: He's not too old can be had for probably the same money he's on now (around 3.5 mil) He's not bad at pass coverage and a great run defender. He was the only major addition that I can think of to the defense and they went from allowing 129 rush yards a game in 2013 to 71 rush yards a game this year and that's with the lose of Alonzo.

Sean Weatherspoon He started his career off great but hasn't been impressive the past few season. That could be because his teammates on defense are poop. decoud leaving has been beneficial for him so it could be for Weatherspoon

David Harris Harris has been underrated his whole career but is always playing at a high level. He's old and team seems to be getting rid of our old LBs so I doubt we go after him but i'd like him.

CB
Brandon Flowers Idk why he was cut by the Chiefs but he's playing at a high level. With Jennings on the decline and our other CBs other than Fuller being trash we need depth. Flowers can our starter or nickle. If we sign him and move Jennings to nickle I don't anyone will be able to throw on us but this is most likely a pipe dream.

Walter Thurmond He's very good but unlike Flowers he might not be a pipe dream because of his off the field activities. Can probably had for cheap

Patrick Robinson He played well a couple seasons ago but declined last year. I think he would excel in the Nickle position and I think he his contract will be a steal.

I'm assuming we'd cut Allen with Young being our best Dlineman right now and that we'd still have a good amount of cap space with the peppers contract. The most realistic combo of players (Money wise) would be;
McCoy
Gibson
Spikes
Robinson

Now for the draft:

RD 1: Eric Striker OLB: He is getting a lot of comparisons to Von Miller and I can definitely see it physique wise. We could be switching to the 3-4 soon so he'd be a perfect pick He's projected in the second round but I believe his stock is rising and will be a 1st rounder.

RD 2: Derron Smith, FS: I've made my feelings about Smith clear but his stock is dropping and I think it's because Fresno is pure trash. He's projected as a 2nd rounder right now and I don't see him falling past that.

RD 3: A.J. Johnson, ILB I believe he's been the best player for Tennessee since for the past couple of years. With the Briggs most likely gone, our current LBs not being all that good and the possible switch to 3-4 we could use another LB. If we do switch to the 3-4, drafting Johnson would allow use to move Bostic to OLB were I think he'll be a lot better, not great but not terrible.

RD 4: Corey Crawford, DE: With Allen most likely gone we could use some depth at DE. Crawford is a very active player and can get in the back field.

RD 5: Quandre Diggs, CB With our starters always getting hurt and our backups sucking we can never have enough CBs. He's small but a good cover guy. I think he's a good value pick in the 5th. His stock could rise after the combine.

RD 6: Jake Smith, C We could use some youth at center with Garza being like 50. Smith can also play some G

RD 7: Mitch Morse, OT We need depth at T and Mizzou always puts out good lineman.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:15 am

If we draft Striker and Johnson for a transition to 3-4 then why do we sign McCoy to play DT and keep Young at DE?

And Stevie Brown should definitely be mentioned in the safety conversation.

Of we switch to 3-4 we shouldn't get Flowers or Robinson because neither are good in man coverage.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,470

Post#35 » by NZB2323 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:00 pm

I'd say linebacker because linebackers are important against the run and the pass, so they fill a bigger need.

I'd like to see us use our first draft pick on a linebacker.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:43 am

NZB2323 wrote:I'd say linebacker because linebackers are important against the run and the pass, so they fill a bigger need.

I'd like to see us use our first draft pick on a linebacker.

If we pick in the 20 I think we should go LB. Of we pick in the teens, especially if it's early teens, I think the disparity in talent will dictate that we need to go with another position of need like CB
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#37 » by City of Trees » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:56 am

I agree with choosing to address Linebacker before any other position on either side of the ball. Chicago is known for its defense. It's no coincidence Bears D is all about Butkus, Singletary, Urlacher.

patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#38 » by patryk7754 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:15 pm

-Cut Allen

Replace Tucker with Ryan (switching us to a 3-4 defense.)

-Ryan might bring in some guys from the Jets just like he did when he left the Ravens. Two guys I have in mind are David Harris and Dwan Landry.
-We might look to replace Jennings since he's played poorly this season and might do worse in a 3-4. With Ryan being our new DC we might go after Darrelle Revis.
-Sign Gerald McCoy (Can play anywhere on the line and excel, as he has done in the past.)

-Move Young to OLB and see how that works.

Realistically, we'd probably have to pick between McCoy and Revis and I assume Ryan would prefer Revis but I'm going to be unrealistic and assume we get both.

Draft
RD 1: Eric Striker OLB
RD 2: Go with a NT or DE here, depends on where McCoy plays. Danny Shelton at NT or Mario Edwards Jr. at DE
RD 3: Jalen Mills, S
RD 4: Cody Riggs, CB, I mentioned above that Revis would Replace Jennings. That might not necessarily mean they cut him but move him to the slot. Although possible, I highly doubt it happens so we'd need depth at CB.
RD 5: Geneo Grissom OLB. He'd be security in case Young isn't working at OLB.
RD 6: Jake Smith, C
RD 7: Austin Shepherd, OT

Undrafted FA:
Josh Shaw CB/S, Would have most likely been a first round pick but he lied about saving his nephew from drowning and got kicked off USC

Noah Spence DE/OLB, He was apparently suspended for drugs (again) and later dismissed. He might return to college but I'll assume he doesn't.

Andre Debose, WR. He was suppose to be a star in the Florida offense but they all suck so maybe he'll be better in the nfl with a guy who can throw. His main role would be returning.

AJ Tarpley, ILB/OLB. He's smart, has great leadership, and has a fire in his belly. We could use that.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#39 » by patryk7754 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:29 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:If we draft Striker and Johnson for a transition to 3-4 then why do we sign McCoy to play DT and keep Young at DE?

Why wouldn't we sign McCoy? and Young would most likely move to OLB
And Stevie Brown should definitely be mentioned in the safety conversation.

He hasn't played great this season and was hurt last year IIRC. I'm not singing someone to be a starter based on something he did 3 seasons ago

Of we switch to 3-4 we shouldn't get Flowers or Robinson because neither are good in man coverage.

Flowers has played in 3-4 nearly his entire career and at a pro-bowl level. When Robinson had a probowl caliber season his best plays and most interceptions came in man.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#40 » by patryk7754 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:30 pm

City of Trees wrote:I agree with choosing to address Linebacker before any other position on either side of the ball. Chicago is known for its defense. It's no coincidence Bears D is all about Butkus, Singletary, Urlacher.

I think we're going to replace all our LBs (at least the starters) which would come with a new scheme.

Return to Chicago Bears