Image Image Image Image

Ongoing roster evaluation/Future Needs

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

What is our biggest need for the future?

LB
70%
Safety
22%
CB
9%
TE/slot receiver/returner
No votes
Backup QB
No votes
C
No votes

Total votes: 23

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Ongoing roster evaluation/Future Needs 

Post#1 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:23 pm

The needs of this team going forward will be an evolving process throughout the season. There is a mix of veterans and youth and Emery is still molding the roster to what he likes. Let's use these to evaluate individual and group performance at every position on our roster.

What positions will see or need to see the most turnover?

Right now we have Lance Briggs and DJ Williams set to be free agents at the end of the season and a bunch of young guys with plenty of faults at LB. Will we bring Briggs or Williams back? Will one or both of Bostic and McClellin step up as a leader and solid player? There will be lent of change at this position.

Garza, De la Puente and Boggs are all free agents (I think we will keep De la Puente).

Will we keep or replace Tillman? Will we start looking for Jennings' replacement?

What will we do at slot receiver and second tight end?

Will Conte be back? Will McCray be back? Will Vereen start next year?

Changes at long snapper and returner?

Will we keep Clausen, promote Fales or bring in someone new?

Thoughts at these positions and others?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: Ongoing roster evaluation/Future Needs 

Post#2 » by City of Trees » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:00 am

Looking to next year's draft I'd like the Bears to draft LB or S in 1st round. Depending on Bostic ' s development this season I hope they address Saftey first. I love the idea of a dominant secondary.

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by heir_jordan22 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:29 pm

I want to see if Conte stays healthy and continues to progress. Not ready to say safety is the biggest need. Plus it seems like Emery is building the front 7 first
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#4 » by City of Trees » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:26 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:I want to see if Conte stays healthy and continues to progress. Not ready to say safety is the biggest need. Plus it seems like Emery is building the front 7 first
I think it's gotta be LB. Greene won't turn into anything special, Briggs is declining, Williams isn't considered long term, Bostic and McClellan are more likely to be average than to be special..... We need that next Urlacher and Briggs combo

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:45 pm

City of Trees wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:I want to see if Conte stays healthy and continues to progress. Not ready to say safety is the biggest need. Plus it seems like Emery is building the front 7 first
I think it's gotta be LB. Greene won't turn into anything special, Briggs is declining, Williams isn't considered long term, Bostic and McClellan are more likely to be average than to be special..... We need that next Urlacher and Briggs combo

Agreed. And I can see Bostic being a more athletic version of Briggs, but not sure he will be able to lead a defense.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:51 pm

The only safeties we have under contract next year are Mundy and Vereen. I would like to keep Dixon around because I think he has huge potential and will always at least be a special teams ace.

That said, we will need two more safeties. I like what Conte gives us in coverage and would like to keep him if he stays healthy. I think we can re-sign him on the cheap even if he has a really good season. Still need someone to push him and Mundy and be a viable replacement in case of injuries (and our safeties are always hurt). So I'm leaning towards getting a safety in the second round. Maybe that pick and Vereen can eventually start alongside each other.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,109

Post#7 » by patryk7754 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:06 pm

patryk7754
General Manager

Post#8 » by patryk7754 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:13 pm

City of Trees wrote:Looking to next year's draft I'd like the Bears to draft LB or S in 1st round. Depending on Bostic ' s development this season I hope they address Saftey first. I love the idea of a dominant secondary.

My two guys are erik Kendricks and Derron smith. With there being a lot of talent at LB this draft there's a chance he's there for us in the second, but I think we'd have to trade up a few spots to get him. They are both day one starters
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#9 » by patryk7754 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:26 pm

My Ideal off-season
Fire Tucker and hire Muschamp

Sign
Brandon Spikes
Tashaun Gipson
Walter Thurmond III
one of Suh, McCoy, Dareus, Knighton, or Damon Harrison

McCoy is my favorite but he's unlikely to leave. Suh is apparently gone and i'd prefer him over and Dareus and Knighton but we'd probably have to get rid of Allen to get one of them and the other FAs listed. If we get Harrison, who has probowl talent, we might be able to keep Allen.

Draft
RD 1: Darron Smith
RD 2: Eric Kendricks ( trade up for him)
If we can't get Kendricks draft Eric Striker without trading up
RD 3: Alvin Dupree
RD 4: Hroniss Grasu
RD 5: Quandre Diggs
RD 6: Desmond Hollin
RD 7: AJ Tarpley
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Frey has been terrible the last two games. I'm ready to get a replacement. I'll take Champ Bailey now or one of the vs younger veterans in free agency
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:49 pm

Right now we have over $6M invested in the slot and returner spot (Morgan, Holmes and Ross). I think Morgan will play better in the slot over time but we definitely need to address the returner position. Having Wilson back will also help that slot position I think
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:13 am

Spikes has 13 tackles this year. 6 against us, 1, 3 and 3. His career high is 92. We need someone who is dominant and a leader. He got benched in NE
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:22 pm

From what I've seen Briggs is done. The Packers didn't run at all because they didn't have to. But Briggs hasn't been around the ball at all this season. He's moving with DT type speed. I think Sutton might be more athletic than him right now.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#14 » by City of Trees » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:59 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:Frey has been terrible the last two games. I'm ready to get a replacement. I'll take Champ Bailey now or one of the vs younger veterans in free agency
Agreed. Conte in coverage has been ugly as well.

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:55 pm

City of Trees wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:Frey has been terrible the last two games. I'm ready to get a replacement. I'll take Champ Bailey now or one of the vs younger veterans in free agency

I think Conte has been good in zone coverage. Not many safeties will do well in man against Randall Cobb. Tucker put him in a bad spot on that one.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#16 » by City of Trees » Wed Oct 1, 2014 2:43 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

I think Conte has been good in zone coverage. Not many safeties will do well in man against Randall Cobb. Tucker put him in a bad spot on that one.
I guess I'd have to agree with that. Still, the Bears cannot bring him back as a starter next season.

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 6:58 pm

Antrel Rolle and Stevie Brown are both definitely better than Conte. Rolle is getting old and has a bunch of injury issues. Not sure NYG would let either of them get away. They're a great combo back there.

Then I think Conte, McCourty, Gipson and Darius Butler are all on the same level with Gipson being on the rise. Don't see Cleveland letting Gipson get away.

Conte, McCourty and Butler are all very similar but Conte is the youngest and the biggest/most athletic.

Basically Conte is the best we will get in free agency. But I do think we should draft a safety early and let the competition begin.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 7:00 pm

That being said, David Harris and Jerreell Freeman are the only free agent linebackers that I think can be above average starters. And we definitely are more desperate for starting linebackers. So if we need to address safety and linebacker in the draft, linebacker needs to come first.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Oct 5, 2014 6:41 pm

I was hoping Conte would be able to step up but unfortunately, injuries seem to be too big of an issue for him to overcome.

We need a new starting safety next year.

My top guy would be Stevie Brown from NYG. He and Mundy even played next to each other last year so the should be a level of familiarity
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,402

Post#20 » by fleet » Sun Oct 5, 2014 8:55 pm

Ego Ferguson is coming along.

I don't know, the Bears need to be a more physical team across the board. Emery is not stocking the team well enough IMO. Too many misses in the draft, and special teams has fallen apart. I thought he had the right emphasis, as far as putting focus on offense, and the physical receivers which is fine, but they still need work in the trenches and that back line on defense.

Jay, well, he's overpaid. *sigh*
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.

Return to Chicago Bears