Image Image Image Image

Ongoing roster evaluation/Future Needs

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

What is our biggest need for the future?

LB
70%
Safety
22%
CB
9%
TE/slot receiver/returner
No votes
Backup QB
No votes
C
No votes

Total votes: 23

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Re: Ongoing roster evaluation/Future Needs 

Post#61 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:01 pm

I really like Shaq too. He made a lot of great plays as a nickel as a true freshman. The fact that he's played so many positions for them so effectively will definitely raise his value in the draft. I can see him sneaking into round one.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#62 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:04 pm

Friend_Of_Haley wrote:It will be interesting to see if they give any serious burn to Cornelius Washington. If he can even be a 25% snap guy I think you consider rolling more or less with our current front 4 guys and just focus on making our back 7 faster.

MLB McKinney or LB Thompson in round one and a RT in round two. Make a few smaller investments into nickel and S in free agency. Rd three on look BPA with an eye towards a speedy slot WR and additional DBs. Maybe a developmental DL too.

I'm guessing we don't have serious money to spend this year with how active we've been in FA and resigning guys the past two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we can get a starting caliber LB in round two maybe even three. Kiko Alonzo was a star before he got injured and he was picked in the middle of the second round. History shows that star linebackers can consistently be had deep into the third round and this is a deep draft at the position.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#63 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:10 pm

Friend_Of_Haley wrote:So we're in pretty good shape according to this site-
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/chicago-bears/
About $105M committed with in a projected 140M cap. No obvious way the clear additional salary (JA for instance would net no salary)

We have quite a few FA but a lot of that is older guys who we can probably walk away from without much worry (Briggs,Garza, DJ, Holmes, Morgan, Rosario). There are guys we will likely keep but none that should really break the bank. Paea will probably be the most expensive to resign (Sharpton, Britton, Clausen, DLP, McManis ate others and can be brought back on small 1-2 yr deals). Tillman and Conte are probably the hardest choices, both being injury concerns at this point, but neither will be huge cap hits either. I don't see Suh money, but I think a nickel and S starters are realistic goals in FA (though of we keep losing our draft budget will be a little higher too)

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying here. We will have a lot of space to fill on the roster. We need to bring back Paea because he should be a really good value. De la Puente will probably be brought back to replace Garza. Bring back some of the better depth players including Zach Miller. I'd like to bring back Tillman. Not sure Conte will be back.

And even if we do bring back Tillman and Conte I think we will need to use early picks at those positions. Obviously a lot will need to go into LB since Briggs and DJ are leaving, Shea is garbage and the rest of the guys are still unproven. Bostic and Jones show some promise.

Jeffery and Paea will eat up a lot of our cap space.
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

Post#64 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Tue Nov 4, 2014 5:02 pm

Well Jeffery isn't until next offseason and we can walk away completely from JA at that point, with no dead weight.

I'd just like to be in a spot to go BDPA in Rd1 but to do that I think you have to first address FS and nickel to secure those spots.

Other semi-good news is that Mills will be playing at G. If he can be effective there our OL doesn't need as big of an investment in the offseason, with the primary goal to be pushing Long outside to T.

patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Post#65 » by patryk7754 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 4:07 am

Most of my post on the FAs have been unrealistic so I think I'm going to make one that I think will happen.

Most of our cap will be spent on resigning players. Such as Paea
Keep our DC. (I honestly can't remember his name)
Resign Garza
We let all our FA DBs walk and start Vereen.
Let Tillman and Briggs walk
We keep Allen
We don't go after Suh since our DTs have been very good and our rookies have shown signs of being able to start.
The rest of the money will be spent on mainly depth.
I don't think we'll sign any starting caliber LBs because most of them are older and Emery wants these guys to grow together.
-I think we go hard after DBs and sign someone to start opposite Vereen. If we do a starter at S it won't be a guy like Rolle but a younger player. Tashaun Gipson is the youngest at 24 and not too many others. We could go after Devin McCourty but since he's arguably one of the best Safeties in the NFL he'll demand a lot $$$$. We could easily strike out at safety but we still have Mundy so its not that bad.
In the draft I think our main focus will be to draft starters on defense and eventual replacements on the Oline.

Here's what I'd like to happen slightly deviating from what I think will happen.

-Let Tillman and Briggs walk. Tillman I feel bad for, and although I love Briggs he just doesn't seem to care this year.
-I'd like to let Garza walk but I think there's zero chance of that happening.
-Resign Paea
-Sign Jim Leonhard (S) and Josh Wilson (CB) for DB depth
-Sign Chase Blackburn (OLB) and Resign Darryl Sharpton for LB depth.
-Here is were I deviate. Fire Tucker (I remembered his name) and replace him with hopefully Rex Ryan. Then spend big money Revis moving Jennings. Getting those guys would be a stretch regardless if Emery wanted to go after them or not, but I think it would be a lot easier by signing Ryan. We might not have 3-4 players but I doubt Ryan can't coach a 4-3. Signing Revis would let us play man-to-man with our CBs since Revis is one of the best cover guys of all time and Fuller can lock guys down as well and Jennings would improve greatly by moving to the nickel. Also that would give the d-line more time to rush the QB and let us blitz more often which is the strength of our LBs. Hopefully we have enough money to offer McCourty a legit contract. If not him Gibson.

Now for the Draft
RD 1: Shaq Thompson (OLB): Based on City of Trees analysis.
RD 2: Alvin Dupree (DE): With Houston getting hurt, Allen being old, and Young being a FA after next season, we'll most likely need some legit depth and eventual replacement at DE
RD 3: Doran Grant (S/CB): Adds depth at multiple positions and can eventually become a starter.
RD 4: Corey Robinson (LT): Bushrod hopefully won't be resigned so we need someone groomed to replace him.
RD 5: Jake Smith (C): Its time to look at options for Garza's long-term replacement.
RD 6: Dorial Green-Beckham (WR): He has ultimate talent but has been too much trouble at Mizzou (I believe hitting women being one of them, so teams will probably pass on him). We need a fourth WR behind Wilson and we're not sure what Wilson can even do and Dorial Green-Beckham will surely show starter talent.
RD 7: AJ Tarpley (ILB): He's very good against the run and has a lot of passion. He's the type of guy who has a chance to start because of his desire to play.
Undrafted FA:
-Josh Shaw (CB): Had that whole saving his nephew lie thing so I doubt he's drafted.
-Jalen Mills (S): He was charged with hitting a woman so I doubt he's drafted.
-Noah Spence (DE): Was kicked off Ohio St. but there's a chance he goes back in 2015.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 5:48 pm

I think we will bring back De la Puente over Garza
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:48 pm

Briggs and Jennings both need to go. Neither of them cares whatsoever
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#68 » by City of Trees » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:35 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:Briggs and Jennings both need to go. Neither of them cares whatsoever
Briggs cares. Dude is giving it his all, he is just not the same player anymore. Slower reactions, slower speed, no longer can make the athletic play. He gets there late now a days but he always puts himself out there.

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM

Post#69 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:16 pm

Maybe he's giving a bit of effort during games but he's showing up to start the season out of shape and openly longing for the old days. And he just isn't good, so let him go.

Jennings I would keep but we need another starting CB/Nickel.

patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#70 » by patryk7754 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:08 am

I don't think its in the realm of possibility that we get rid of Cutler this offseason, however, next year is a different story and here's why;

Luck
Eli Manning
Big Ben
Newton
Bradford
Rivers
RGIII
Tannehill
Foles
Wilson
Cousins
Osweiler

They are all FA next offseason. Out Newton and Bradford are probably the only ones who might leave their teams who are current starters. I'm Hoping for Big Ben even though that won't happen.
clancyphile
Junior
And1: 10

Post#71 » by clancyphile » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:26 pm

I think the Bears need to get more youth on defense.

The fact is... from about 2010-2012, the Bears needed to make plans for replacing Urlacher, Briggs, and Tillman. They didn't do that.

On defense, I think that Allen and Young can handle being the starting DEs for Da Bears. Go with Sutton and Houston as the DTs. Trade Paea for some picks. I'd keep Tillman, if only because I think he could still be a decent safety - and if Da Bears get a lot of rookies, they need that veteran presence. Let Briggs walk, or shift him from the weak side to the strong side.

The other issue, of course, is to find a better quarterback. Jay Cutler is the wrong QB for the job, period. If Brandon Marshall can't deal with the fact that Cutler is moving, deal him too. Between Forte, Bennett, and Jeffrey, there are some good weapons. Shaq Thompson is intriguing, but he's playing a lot of offense this season... can he go back to defense, or is he better with the ball in his hands as a backup for Forte?

College players I like:
Dan Vitale, FB/"Superback", Northwestern - might be a good backfield complement for Forte, and a late-round steal.
Brent Hundley, QB, UCLA - I think I'd rather see us go with a rookie surrounded by veteran threats
Shawn Oakman, DL, Baylor - I think his size (6'8", 275 pounds) is very interesting - and could be a difference-maker against field goals.
Shaq Thompson, LB/RB/TE, Washington - Two-way threat... the big question is where to use him? WLB/MLB on defense, or as a RB/TE on offense... or mix and match?
Landon Collins, SS, Alabama - Could be the SS Da Bears need. I think he's a very good fit - especially if the Bears go to the 46.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#72 » by patryk7754 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:29 am

It seems like ahmad brooks will be cut but the 49ers after the season. Wouldn't mind picking him up, especially if we move to a 3-4.

Also, I really liked Chris Bortland coming out of Wisconsin. He's been great in place of Bowman and Willis. IDK what his role will be when they are both healthy again with Aldon Smith and Aaron Lynch on the edges. Maybe we can trade a 3rd or 4th for him.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#73 » by patryk7754 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:26 am

Another round of my ideal off-season scenario

Coaching
First, I'd like to keep Trestman for at least next season. I'd like to see him calm the offense down a little and save Cutler from himself and USE MATT FORTE. If this team is not playing at the elite level they should be, Trestman would have to go in the middle season.

Second, we need to fire Tucker and hire a DC who won't be overwhelmed if he needs to step in for a fired Trestman. I think that everyone will agree that Rex Ryan is the best option for us, but I'm not sure he doesn't get another HC job. If getting Rex Ryan means offering him a HC job, I do it. As Red mentioned in his thread about not developing Cutler properly, we need a competent OC. He mentioned we needed a guy who would get rid of his flaws but at this point of Cutler's career we need to get a guy who would protect Cutler from his flaws. If Ryan comes in as HC, I'm sure we'll bring in a guy who will feature Forte. Other guys that could be options for us are Muschamp, Ron Rivera, and Singletary. In the Trestman replacement thread I mentioned a bunch of defensive guys that would only leave their teams for a HC job which I'm only willing to offer to Ryan (maybe Bowles) and the moment. I'd Also like to see Urlacher and Tillman be brought on as coaches. Tillman has already taught Fuller a ton and with our LBs being replaced we could use Urlacher to teach them.

Free Agency
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

According to the above link we'd have $32,885,313 in cap space in 2015 with no dead money. I'd like to reserve about 8 mil to resigning some of our guys, most notably, Paea. This leaves us with $24, 885,314.

For our first big splash we go after Revis. I averaged Sherman's, Hayden's, and Paterson's salary for next year to determine what the offer should be for Revis in the first year of his contract. The number came out to be 12.87 mil. Leaves $12,015,313 in cap.

The second position I want to address is Safety. I had Tashaun Gipson at the top of my list but he's a restricted FA. He'll probably make around 6 or 7 mil which I'm completely willing to offer him. The problem is, IDK what pick we'd have to give up for him. Devin McCourty is 1a. I'm sure he'll get a contract that will make him the highest paid Safety or close to it. I think its is Resonable to assume he'll get an Earl Thomas type contract, which is 4yrs 40 mil starting at 7.4. If we sign McCourty to a contract that starts a 7.4 we'll have $4,615,313

The rest is to be used for depth on offense and defense.

Draft
I have two trades in mind on draft night. First, I think we can get Chris Bortland for a 3rd from the 49ers. Currently we are sitting at the 8 spot, which should be high enough to get Amari Cooper. The Browns have two firsts (16 and 19) and they could use a game breaker like Cooper especially with the uncertainty of Gordon. I think the Browns could do it, especially since the Bill have no regret trading those pics for Watkins.

RD 1 (16): Shaq Thompson, OLB
RD 1 (19): Donte Fowler, OLB/DE
RD 2: Derron Smith, S
RD 3: pick traded for Bortland
RD 4: Antwaun Woods, NT
RD 5: Doran Grant, CB/S
RD 6: Jake Smith, C
RD 7: Dorial Green-Beckham, WR
Undrafted: Andre Debose, KR

Overview
Coaching:
Ryan DC, Trestman HC

Free Agency:
Revis and McCourty

Scheme/position changes:
With this off-season, we have a solid 4-3 defensive roster, but Ryan might still want to move to the 3-4. If that happens I think our front seven looks something like this; Houston/Paea/Ratliff on the line and Allen(OLB)/Thompson(ILB)/Bortland(ILB)/Fowler(OLB) as our backers. We'd have a solid rotation in our front 7 with Bostic, Shea, Young, Sutton, and Ferguson coming off the bench. Jennings moves the the nickle regardless the scheme. Darron Smith has a strong chance of beating out Mundy, which would give us three rookie starters and two second year starter. I don't think that will be to big of a problem since we have a lot of experience surrounding them and Fuller and Bortland are playing like vets in their rookie season.

Starters

Offense:
Cutler
Forte (Carey)
Bennett/Rosario
Marshall/Jeffery/Green-Beckham (Wilson)
Bushrod/Slauson/Garza/Long/Mills

Defense:
Houston/Paea/Ratliff (Young/Sutton/Ferguson)
Allen/Thompson/Bortland/Fowler (Bostic/Shea)
Revis/Fuller/Jennings
McCourty/Smith (Mundy/Vereen)

Special Teams:
Gould
O'Donnell
Wilson/Debose
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#74 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Young only weighs 250. If we go to 3-4 he will be a starting OLB. If we draft Fowler or Oakman they will probably play DE in that scheme.

I doubt we can get Borland with a 3rd round pick. but if it's possible I do it in a heartbeat.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:46 pm

I haven't been able to watch the last few games. Are there any players that look significantly better or worse than 4 weeks ago?
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM

Ongoing roster evaluation/Future Needs 

Post#76 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:48 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:I haven't been able to watch the last few games. Are there any players that look significantly better or worse than 4 weeks ago?

Briggs looked his best last week but that doesn't really help. I think everyone else has been about the same. Ola looked a little better last week, but I still view him as a swing guy at best so OL is still a need to me.

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:54 pm

I think ideally we'd put Long at LT, Bushrod at RT and Mills at RG. I think we'd be really good with that lineup. And either Garza or De la Puente at Center, whichever Emery decides to keep I'd be fine with.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#78 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:59 pm

If we draft or sign a true NT I think we can switch to 3-4. Switch Briggs to ILB if we decide to keep him. Young, Allen and McClellin at OLB. Draft an ILB with one of our first three picks. Let Jones and Bostic compete to unseat any of the starters at LB.

Start Paea and Houston at DE and our new NT in the middle. Ratliff, Ferguson and Sutton sub in.

7 LB and 6 DL sounds about right to me for a 3-4. Maybe kick it up to 8 and 7
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Dec 1, 2014 4:25 pm

I truly believe that Mel Tucker is under utilizing talent on defense. We need to switch to a press man defense, whether that's 4-3 or 3-4. If we draft Danny Shelton in round 1 we can very easily transition to a 3-4.
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM

Post#80 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Tue Dec 2, 2014 1:22 am

I don't see us going with a true 2 gap 3-4. We're pretty far away from that. A creative defensive mind could keep a one gap scheme and move around alignments an personnel to give us different looks though.

Return to Chicago Bears