Image Image Image Image

Ongoing roster evaluation/Future Needs

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

What is our biggest need for the future?

LB
70%
Safety
22%
CB
9%
TE/slot receiver/returner
No votes
Backup QB
No votes
C
No votes

Total votes: 23

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: Ongoing roster evaluation/Future Needs 

Post#41 » by City of Trees » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:29 am

Cutting Allen and watching Briggs retire would free up a lot of cap space for a nice defensive splash next season. Suh?

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#42 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:33 pm

If we switch to a 3-4 we really don't need to sign Suh or McCoy. We would desperately need true 3-4 NTs like Terrence Cody. We have 4 or 5 guys who could be 3-4 DEs on the roster in Houston, Paea, Sutton, Ferguson and maybe Washington.

There's no point in spending big money on Suh or McCoy to put them at NT and eat up double and triple teams when they're playmakers. We just need a couple hungry hungry hippos.

If we stay in a 3-4 then I would say we can bring them in. On of those two guys next to Paea would instantly be the best DT combo in the league. Paea is finally being that dominant force he had the potential for.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#43 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:43 pm

Whether we switch defenses or stay in Tucker's 4-3 we will have similar needs.

4-3: LBs to replace Williams and Briggs. Start Bostic at one spot.
Safety to play alongside Mundy.
Corner to play opposite Fuller or in the slot if Jennings improves.
A DT for the rotation.

3-4: 2 LBs to go with Bostic and Willie Young.
NT, Safety and Corner.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#44 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:47 pm

Ideally we would add David Harris and Shaq Thompson this offseason. Those two along with Bostic, and in a 3-4 Willie Young, would finally bring us back to having a dominant and turnover creating LB corps. Our front 7 would actually be scary again

I haven't narrowed it down to my favorite players at other positions but Tashaun Gipson is definitely taking big strides.
patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Post#45 » by patryk7754 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:10 am

Orakpo tore his pectoral again. When healthy he's one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. Since he got hurt again, we might be able to get him for cheap.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#46 » by patryk7754 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:55 pm

We probably weren't even going to call McCoy but he's officially not an option since he signed an extension with the Bucs
errisal
Head Coach
And1: 406

Post#47 » by errisal » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:19 am

City of Trees wrote:Looking to next year's draft I'd like the Bears to draft LB or S in 1st round. Depending on Bostic ' s development this season I hope they address Saftey first. I love the idea of a dominant secondary.

Most pressing need is a new Head Coach and staff. Then look at replacing Conte, Jared Allen and Tim Jennings in that order. LB and O-line are to follow. Unfortunately it's two more years of Jay shaky feet Cutler.
"The Cubs will Win a World Series title in my Lifetime! I plan to live to the age of 150 and the Cubs Win it in 2017! :nod: "
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:56 am

errisal wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Looking to next year's draft I'd like the Bears to draft LB or S in 1st round. Depending on Bostic ' s development this season I hope they address Saftey first. I love the idea of a dominant secondary.

Most pressing need is a new Head Coach and staff. Then look at replacing Conte, Jared Allen and Tim Jennings in that order. LB and O-line are to follow. Unfortunately it's two more years of Jay shaky feet Cutler.

Willie Young is Jared Allen's replacement
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#49 » by City of Trees » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:04 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:
errisal wrote:

I agree about Young.

I'd prioritize LB, S, and CB in that order.

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#50 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:48 pm

City of Trees wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:Willie Young is Jared Allen's replacement
I agree about Young.

Agreed. But it looks like we will have a really high draft pick and I think it would be prudent to take corner or safety in the first round since they are the top flight talent.

We can get David Harris in free agency or a LB in round two. Perryman, Kendricks and McKinney are the top MLBs and one of those three is bound to be available in round two. Maybe even two of them.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by heir_jordan22 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:57 am

We really need a safety who excels in coverage and I think Drummond and Smith are the best in that category. Should be available in round two.
errisal
Head Coach
And1: 406

Post#52 » by errisal » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:11 am

City of Trees wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:
errisal wrote:

I agree about Young.

Jared needs to be replaced on the roster with someone to play opposite Willie Young. The biggest need will be a coaching staff and Head Coach capable of winning with a prioritized LB, S and CB. Get all the talent in the world and Trestman will soften them up into losers.
"The Cubs will Win a World Series title in my Lifetime! I plan to live to the age of 150 and the Cubs Win it in 2017! :nod: "
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

Post#53 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:33 pm

It will be interesting to see if they give any serious burn to Cornelius Washington. If he can even be a 25% snap guy I think you consider rolling more or less with our current front 4 guys and just focus on making our back 7 faster.

MLB McKinney or LB Thompson in round one and a RT in round two. Make a few smaller investments into nickel and S in free agency. Rd three on look BPA with an eye towards a speedy slot WR and additional DBs. Maybe a developmental DL too.

I'm guessing we don't have serious money to spend this year with how active we've been in FA and resigning guys the past two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM

Post#54 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:39 pm

errisal wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:Willie Young is Jared Allen's replacement
I agree about Young.

Jared needs to be replaced on the roster with someone to play opposite Willie Young. The biggest need will be a coaching staff and Head Coach capable of winning with a prioritized LB, S and CB. Get all the talent in the world and Trestman will soften them up into losers.

I think Jared Allen can still contribute next year. He just isn't gonna be an every down player anymore. Plus he probably needs to regain some muscle/strength he likely lost with his illness.

Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM

Post#55 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:33 pm

So we're in pretty good shape according to this site-
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/chicago-bears/
About $105M committed with in a projected 140M cap. No obvious way the clear additional salary (JA for instance would net no salary)

We have quite a few FA but a lot of that is older guys who we can probably walk away from without much worry (Briggs,Garza, DJ, Holmes, Morgan, Rosario). There are guys we will likely keep but none that should really break the bank. Paea will probably be the most expensive to resign (Sharpton, Britton, Clausen, DLP, McManis ate others and can be brought back on small 1-2 yr deals). Tillman and Conte are probably the hardest choices, both being injury concerns at this point, but neither will be huge cap hits either. I don't see Suh money, but I think a nickel and S starters are realistic goals in FA (though of we keep losing our draft budget will be a little higher too)

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#56 » by City of Trees » Sun Nov 2, 2014 6:43 am

Washington moved Shaq Thompson to RB and he is looking impressive. Dude is a five star athlete. I can envision him having a Sean Taylor type impact on D

patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#57 » by patryk7754 » Sun Nov 2, 2014 8:57 pm

I just want to point out that Bruce Arians was my guy
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#58 » by patryk7754 » Sun Nov 2, 2014 8:59 pm

City of Trees wrote:Washington moved Shaq Thompson to RB and he is looking impressive. Dude is a five star athlete. I can envision him having a Sean Taylor type impact on D

That's pretty high praise. Haven't been able to watch a Washington game yet this season but if he is what you say then we should definitely draft him. What's his number?
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#59 » by patryk7754 » Sun Nov 2, 2014 9:01 pm

We should sign Marc Sanchez. He got a lot of undeserved blame when he played for the Jets. He came in today and looked great. Fales isn't going to push Cutler and we're not drafting a QB two years in a row. Sanchez might have a legit chance to win he job if Cutler continues to disappoint next season.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#60 » by City of Trees » Mon Nov 3, 2014 5:35 am

patryk7754 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Washington moved Shaq Thompson to RB and he is looking impressive. Dude is a five star athlete. I can envision him having a Sean Taylor type impact on D

That's pretty high praise. Haven't been able to watch a Washington game yet this season but if he is what you say then we should definitely draft him. What's his number?
He is number 7.

Return to Chicago Bears