Image Image Image Image

General Off-season Discussion

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Re: OT: Bears (Update: Alan Ball, Jaquizz Rodgers Sign Deals) 

Post#1841 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Apr 6, 2015 1:58 pm

If Paces plan is to cut a WR - who had 2 of the most productive seasons ever by a Chicago Bear, with the current starting QB

and replace him with a unproven rookie using the #7 pick-

We're in bigger trouble than we were with Angelo or Emery.....
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#1842 » by waffle » Mon Apr 6, 2015 2:07 pm

hey, it happens in this league. Look how many rookie wr's last year had BIG years. I don't think at all that move would suggest he is over his head. In fact I prefer it much more than him simply staying status quo. Heck, it isn't as if we are winning it all next year, right? Or even the year after. This team needs a major renovation. No reason to keep Marshall around for the ride. My guess is he would NOT behave himself during the entire process.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#1843 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Apr 6, 2015 2:09 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:If Paces plan is to cut a WR - who had 2 of the most productive seasons ever by a Chicago Bear, with the current starting QB

Was this in regards to Brandon Marshall? The Bears got rid of him for a lot of reasons that were not based on production.

Every single rookie is "unproven" so...should the team draft guys and say that they're not to be counted on?
WIN
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,821

Post#1844 » by WIN » Mon Apr 6, 2015 2:43 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:If Paces plan is to cut a WR - who had 2 of the most productive seasons ever by a Chicago Bear, with the current starting QB

I would've loved for the Marshall experiment to have worked but he was clearly a headcase.....very good player, but a headcase nonetheless. Given how bad our offense and team was last year, this isn't as big of a loss as it might seem.

Regarding, the unproven rookie comment; there's plenty of rookies who can come in and contribute right away, like last year where you had 3-4 wideouts who had amazing seasons. There's no reason to believe we can't get one at #7. WR right now is one of the easiest positions to replace.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,388

Post#1845 » by fleet » Mon Apr 6, 2015 2:49 pm

Sadly, just got a message that this thread has to be closed this week some time. Or I guess we can put a shadow topic on it. They want to keep promoting the Bears board. I would like to make Mark K do it. He doesn't care about real football.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#1846 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:01 pm

fleet wrote:Sadly, just got a message that this thread has to be closed this week some time. Or I guess we can put a shadow topic on it. They want to keep promoting the Bears board. I would like to make Mark K do it. He doesn't care about real football.

There are 12 posts in the "Bears Hire John Fox" thread.

Hopefully there's some way to compromise so I don't have to wait two weeks for someone to respond about a Bears topic.
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#1847 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:04 pm

I have some hesitance about a WR at 7, but if Cooper is clearly the BPA, I would do it. His route running would be a great compliment to Alshon.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#1848 » by BR0D1E86 » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:06 pm

I wasn't in favor of the trade myself, but this is the third team that has sold him off due to his behavior. At this point you have to believe that his locker room presence is just toxic.
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#1849 » by Tetlak » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:08 pm

fleet wrote:Sadly, just got a message that this thread has to be closed this week some time. Or I guess we can put a shadow topic on it. They want to keep promoting the Bears board. I would like to make Mark K do it. He doesn't care about real football.

+1 for Mark K comment.

But on a serious note, I think many people would rather browse other Bears forums, even if they are just lurking, than take this conversation to the realgm Bears forum.

It was nice talking to y'all about da bears!
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#1850 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:10 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:

I wasn't in favor of the trade myself, but this is the third team that has sold him off due to his behavior. At this point you have to believe that his locker room presence is just toxic.

Bingo. There was am article that cited a source that nobody in our locker room is going to miss him. Some "leader."
Tetlak
Assistant Coach

Post#1851 » by Tetlak » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:14 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:

Bingo. There was am article that cited a source that nobody in our locker room is going to miss him. Some "leader."

Right, but there's also articles that cite Cutler's teammates as not wanting him to be their QB, and we all know that Jay is no leader. Neither guy is/was less toxic to the team than the other, they are/were just toxic in different ways.

I do feel a little bad for Brandon. I can't help but think that if we had a strong presenced coach rather than Trestman, that Brandon would still be here, still be happy, and still be productive
Tetlak
Assistant Coach

Post#1852 » by Tetlak » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:16 pm

In other news, reports are coming out that more and more teams are becoming interested in Mariota, and the possibility of trading up for him. If he's still around at 7, what do people think about trading back? I know many are getting on board the WR bandwagon, and I am probably one of them, but we still have so many long term needs even though we've signed some nice stopgap guys.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#1853 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:20 pm

I know we have tried brain storming ways to promote the Bears forum. Is there a way to keep this thread alive, but have it redirected to the Bears board yet?

I still visit the Bears forum as well and post, but like Red said, it takes days sometimes before someone will post there.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#1854 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:30 pm

Tetlak wrote:In other news, reports are coming out that more and more teams are becoming interested in Mariota, and the possibility of trading up for him. If he's still around at 7, what do people think about trading back? I know many are getting on board the WR bandwagon, and I am probably one of them, but we still have so many long term needs even though we've signed some nice stopgap guys.

I've always been intrigued by the possibility of really taking someone to the cleaners if he's still on the board. Maybe a team like the Browns would give us multiple drafts picks (like both their 1st rounders and maybe a 2nd rounder as well).

Then again, I won't be surprised if the Bears decide to draft him at 7 either.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
BR0D1E86
RealGM

Post#1855 » by BR0D1E86 » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:32 pm

Tetlak wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:I wasn't in favor of the trade myself, but this is the third team that has sold him off due to his behavior. At this point you have to believe that his locker room presence is just toxic.

Right, but there's also articles that cite Cutler's teammates as not wanting him to be their QB, and we all know that Jay is no leader. Neither guy is/was less toxic to the team than the other, they are/were just toxic in different ways.

I do feel a little bad for Brandon. I can't help but think that if we had a strong presenced coach rather than Trestman, that Brandon would still be here, still be happy, and still be productive

Possibly. And I doubt anyone on the team would lose any sleep if Cutler was gone, but contractually it was impossible and he was so bad that there was no market for him whatsoever.
BR0D1E86
RealGM

Post#1856 » by BR0D1E86 » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:34 pm

Tetlak wrote:In other news, reports are coming out that more and more teams are becoming interested in Mariota, and the possibility of trading up for him. If he's still around at 7, what do people think about trading back? I know many are getting on board the WR bandwagon, and I am probably one of them, but we still have so many long term needs even though we've signed some nice stopgap guys.

On board 100% with a trade down. Of course that depends on the front office's evaluation of the players available. If they've got one graded out as an A+ can't miss impact player, take him. If not, get all the picks you can. The team has got long term needs all over the field, as all teams do in the NFL.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#1857 » by Rerisen » Mon Apr 6, 2015 4:08 pm

Heads up, this thread will be getting moved/locked within the week, because it is too general and defeating the purpose of the Bears Forum. I would encourage finishing up ongoing discussions and move the rest over to there.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Post#1858 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Apr 6, 2015 4:37 pm

I mean I get why they want to do that.

But there is zero chance the Bears forum ever takes off. This is a basketball board. There are other football boards that people go to for that.
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#1859 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Apr 6, 2015 4:41 pm

The Bears forum is defeating the purpose of the Bears forum.
jumpstart
Starter
And1: 771

Post#1860 » by jumpstart » Mon Apr 6, 2015 4:43 pm

That sucks. Maybe we should all find a new Bulls forum so we can talk football on there.

Return to Chicago Bears