Moderator: chitownsports4ever

emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 133

Bears select Oregon C Hroniss Grasu in round 3 

Post#1 » by emperorjones » Sat May 2, 2015 2:52 am

OVERVIEW
Started all 52 of the games he played in at Oregon, and all 52 were at center. Named second-team All-American, first- team All-Pac 12 and was a Rimington Award finalist for the nation's best center. Missed three games, including Pac-12 Championship Game with a leg injury. Was named first-team All-Pac 12 in 2013 and 2012, starting 26 games. Named a finalist for the Rimington Award in 2013, and earned Oregon's Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman award in 2012. In high school, played both offensive and defensive line.

PRO DAY RESULTS
40-yard dash: 5.03 and 5.01 seconds
20-yard short shuttle: 4.20 seconds
Three-cone drill: 7.84 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Takes on challenges up front. Willing to battle against bigger, stronger nose guards. Has big hands and is tough at the point of attack with good functional strength. Loves to play and is a willing worker, according to personnel men. Reestablishes hands into proper placement in pass pro if defender gets hands into his chest. Can pull and hit targets in space. Adjusts to mirror and engage linebackers on second level. Consistently gets to reach blocks.

WEAKNESSES Doesn't utilize length effectively. Uses inconsistent hand placement. Handles power players pretty well at point of attack but tends to lose balance when engaging the same players on the move. Marginal acceleration around the corner when asked to pull. Not a leverage winner in short-yardage situations. Needs additional weight.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 3

SOURCES TELL US "He grows on you over time, but he's got some warts. I don't know how he got away with as much holding as he did at Oregon. They will catch that in the pros." -- NFL offensive line coach
NFL COMPARISON Brian Schwenke

BOTTOM LINE While Grasu isn't a powerful center, he does display enough functional strength and movement skills to be able to assimilate into any offensive philosophy. Grasu can play bigger than his listed size and while he doesn't possess any overwhelming qualities or traits, there aren't any glaring holes in his game that should derail him. His leadership and winning pedigree should be a plus with GMs.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: Bears select Oregon C Hroniss Grasu in round 3 

Post#2 » by RedBulls23 » Sat May 2, 2015 4:00 am

At the very least, it can't be argued that Pace reached for any of these picks thus far
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,397

Post#3 » by fleet » Sat May 2, 2015 9:31 pm

^^^Wasn't this a reach? I thought it was.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#4 » by RedBulls23 » Sat May 2, 2015 9:41 pm

fleet wrote:^^^Wasn't this a reach? I thought it was.

Really? Normally you hear more chatter/complaints, but didn't really any of these picks being a "reach." And he was projected to go in the 3rd round where they got him.

Though maybe I just missed it.

Hey, at least Pace didn't draft a punter/kicker :lol:
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,397

Post#5 » by fleet » Sat May 2, 2015 9:46 pm

Oh, I read somewhere he was projected 4th or 5th. My bad. He is undersized, so it made sense.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#6 » by City of Trees » Sat May 2, 2015 9:51 pm

Rated as the best pure Center in the draft since the Florida St. C will probably play guard.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#7 » by TNBT » Thu Jul 9, 2015 6:14 am

Obviously it's hard to say much at the moment before he's played his first snap in the NFL, but everything I've heard about him sounds positive. Not a huge guy but works hard and has heart. Given that Garza has gone, we needed to include a new C pretty high on our list, and we seem to have gotten a pretty good one here.

Return to Chicago Bears