Image Image Image Image

Shape of the Roster/ Strengths for 2015

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

stl705
Senior
And1: 152

Shape of the Roster/ Strengths for 2015 

Post#1 » by stl705 » Mon May 4, 2015 1:18 am

Now that the draft is over and much of the main roster acquisitions and moves have been made, I think it's time to look at the Bears and their perceived strengths and weaknesses.

My thoughts:

Offense:
Play style - I see a drastically different Bears offense from the past few seasons. Gone is the extreme pass-happy playbook of Trestman, and in comes a balanced run-first, smash-mouth style that has traditionally been favored in Chicago. Although the league is very much pass-happy, I see the Bears running more then most next year. This should help limit turnovers to an extent, especially in the red-zone where we got killed last year.

Key Offensive Playmakers -
Forte - Offense will likely again going to be run through Forte, but I see more handoffs than dumpoffs.
Jeffrey - While White and Wilson continue to develop, Jeffrey will be counted on to spread teams out and keep them honest with the deep passing attack.
K. Langford - I might get blasted by Bears fans, but I think the rookie RB from Mich State is better suited to help starting week 1. Won't need a lot of seasoning as he can step in right away on 3rd and short and run for power or fake play-action.
O-line - Big year for the O-line, we know Slausen and Long can hold their own if healthy, with a big audition for the rookie Center; I think it will be a huge un-talked storyline to see how the new group meshes and plays together.

Defense -
Corners - A lot of pressure again on the Corners, as I don't see the firepower on the edges. Fuller and Jennings will be put to the test to cover guys for an extended time, luckily I see these guys as the (only) strength of our D.
Pass Rush - McPhee, Young, Allen, and the other new OLB (sorry forget his name) - A lot of hype with McPhee, but i just don't see it. 7.5 sacks is not a lot in my opinion, especially when you had other guys getting attention drawn. Regardless, McPhee will be counted on to anchor our pass rush. A lot of people have questions with Young, but I think he'll be fine. He's shown an ability to get to the quarterback, something we are desperately searching for.
Run Defense - I like the progress we will have against the rush over last year, but not holding up hope for our ILB depth. McClellan is likely a below-average player, and the same can be said for Greene and Bostic.

What do you guys think? Am I on to something or on something?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#2 » by City of Trees » Mon May 4, 2015 6:12 am

CB, DL, ILB are weaknesses on defense. QB is our weakness on offense. Running the ball more will counter act Cutler IF the Bears can run it effectively. On defense it all starts with run defense. The young guys Ego, Sutton, and Goldman have to contribute or it will be another long season.

I have my fingers crossed the Bears can snatch up a RT, CB, and NT after training camp cuts
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,104

Re: Shape of the Roster/ Strengths for 2015 

Post#3 » by patryk7754 » Mon May 4, 2015 2:36 pm

any chane lael collins would sign?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#4 » by City of Trees » Mon May 4, 2015 3:52 pm

This is gametape of Jeremy Langford against #5 Baylor. His running style is similar to Matt Forte, just not on the same level obviously. Anyways take a look

https://youtu.be/mYwZ3QeAwW0

Just for fun here is Matt Forte at Tulane. Forte's burst and vision clearly next level.

https://youtu.be/_bbaIF22NGQ
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#5 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon May 4, 2015 4:38 pm

I think DL is actually going to be average for us this year. Goldman is extremely athletic and talented, Ratliff had a big year last year and is always good, McDonald could be a pro bowl level player if he avoids suspension, Ferguson had a really good year as a rookie. Then we have Sutton and that guy who played for the Redskins who are both very talented but haven't produced much yet. McPhee and Houston at OLB are both top level run defenders at their position.

I think we'll do really well against the run, but pass rush may be an issue. Luckily we have Fangio who is one of the most creative schemers and play callers so we may still be able to get good pressure despite not having any elite pass rushers on the team at any position (Ratliff is probably the best pass rusher for his position of all our players).
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#6 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon May 4, 2015 4:39 pm

Getting La'el Collins would be nice but I wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't get him. I think our will be one of the best in the league and we have strong depth and versatility.

Return to Chicago Bears