Bears trade up, draft Leonard Floyd

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Re: Bears trade up, draft Leonard Floyd 

Post#21 » by Susan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:27 am

RedBulls83 wrote:
Susan wrote:I look forward to our coaching staff crafting him into a beast of a pass rusher.

Getting to the QB is always key in the NFL. This will never go old.

If he adds 20lbs and manages to keep his freakish athleticism, we'll be more than fine.

I heard that he has trouble keeping his weight up, which is why I'm concerned.

Hoping for the best though.

He just looks like he could get huge. His body type reminds me of MMA fighters Jon Jones & Alistar Overeem. At a young age, Overeem was skinny & still strong as heck but as he got older he really put on weight.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,774

Post#22 » by NZB2323 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:45 am

Susan wrote:
RedBulls83 wrote:
Susan wrote:I look forward to our coaching staff crafting him into a beast of a pass rusher.

Getting to the QB is always key in the NFL. This will never go old.

If he adds 20lbs and manages to keep his freakish athleticism, we'll be more than fine.

I heard that he has trouble keeping his weight up, which is why I'm concerned.

He just looks like he could get huge. His body type reminds me of MMA fighters Jon Jones & Alistar Overeem. At a young age, Overeem was skinny & still strong as heck but as he got older he really put on weight.

Overeem also used steroids, and his career quickly declined after stricter drug testing was in place. And Overeem was nothing special at LHW before using steroids.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,546

Post#23 » by Dominator83 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:05 am

emperorjones wrote:After last years draft I'm gonna trust that if they traded up they really think this kid will be a player

Last year's 1st round pick hasn't even played a down yet so we really don't have a feel as to whether or not Ryan Pace has broken the mold or not of Bears GMs that suck at drafting

This season we get to evaluate his first two 1st rounders (god willing) and find out if they can play. I don't have an opinion yet until I do see them in action
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: Bears trade up, draft Leonard Floyd 

Post#24 » by City of Trees » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:12 am

Dominater wrote:
emperorjones wrote:After last years draft I'm gonna trust that if they traded up they really think this kid will be a player

Last year's 1st round pick hasn't even played a down yet so we really don't have a feel as to whether or not Ryan Pace has broken the mold or not of Bears GMs that suck at drafting

This season we get to evaluate his first two 1st rounders (god willing) and find out if they can play. I don't have an opinion yet until I do see them in action

You judge a GM on all of his picks. Not just round 1. Goldman, Grassu, Langford, and Amos all look like solid picks. White projects to add to what seems to be a decent to strong '15 draft class.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#25 » by City of Trees » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:12 am

Connor Cook round 2?

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#26 » by Susan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:17 am

NZB2323 wrote:
Susan wrote:
RedBulls83 wrote:I heard that he has trouble keeping his weight up, which is why I'm concerned.

Overeem also used steroids, and his career quickly declined after stricter drug testing was in place. And Overeem was nothing special at LHW before using steroids.

Chandler Jones is built similarly but a bit bigger than Jon but still he was 6'5", 260 when he came into the NFL.

Bruce Irvin is only 6'3" vs Leonard's 6'6" but they were both 240ish at the combine.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#27 » by TNBT » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:29 am

Pace/Fox haven't given me a reason yet to doubt their ability to draft players, and Fangio would have approved this pick too, so I'm confident that they see something in him that they can develop.

The only worry for me is his lack of weight, but assuming they feel they can get his weight up without damaging his speed/athleticism, then he could be a great player.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,546

Re: RE: Re: Bears trade up, draft Leonard Floyd 

Post#28 » by Dominator83 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:35 am

City of Trees wrote:
Dominater wrote:

You judge a GM on all of his picks. Not just round 1. Goldman, Grassu, Langford, and Amos all look like solid picks. White projects to add to what seems to be a decent to strong '15 draft class.

They don't like Langford THAT much considering they tried to overpay CJ Anderson (who's a dog even in a contract year) which would've been awful.

Back to topic, I agree you need to get some late round steals too absolutely. But those 1st round picks are must-hits imo. It's kind of like season-long fantasy leagues. Those later round steals are essential to put you over the top for a title. But in order to have a chance in the 1st place you have to hit on those 1st couple rounds because that is where the foundation is laid
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bears trade up, draft Leonard Floyd 

Post#29 » by City of Trees » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:40 am

Dominater wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
Dominater wrote:Last year's 1st round pick hasn't even played a down yet so we really don't have a feel as to whether or not Ryan Pace has broken the mold or not of Bears GMs that suck at drafting

They don't like Langford THAT much considering they tried to overpay CJ Anderson (who's a dog even in a contract year) which would've been awful.

Back to topic, I agree you need to get some late round steals too absolutely. But those 1st round picks are must-hits imo. It's kind of like season-long fantasy leagues. Those later round steals are essential to put you over the top for a title. But in order to have a chance in the 1st place you have to hit on those 1st couple rounds because that is where the foundation is laid

Foundation is laid in rounds 2-5. Round 1 is where you hope to find Star power.

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#30 » by City of Trees » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:44 pm

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,376

Post#31 » by fleet » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:56 pm

The Broncos had to give up a 3rd rounder to move up 2 places for Paxton Lynch. Pace is good.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
BIG Game
Rookie
And1: 272

Post#32 » by BIG Game » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:02 pm

Not a fan of Boom or Bust guys. But it's incurring that a lot of Aldon Smith comparisons are being made. Both Fox and Fangio have experience coaching edge rushers up.

We have good, well respected coaches, if they both signed off on Floyd then I trust it.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#33 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:41 pm

fleet wrote:The Broncos had to give up a 3rd rounder to move up 2 places for Paxton Lynch. Pace is good.

That's a good point.

I've read more stuff about him and feel a little less worried. Just got to see if he can add on weight and develop. He is also kind of raw.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#34 » by transplant » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:57 pm

Floyd was obviously their guy. Pace, Fox and Fangio weren't just taking a flyer on Floyd. Furthermore, it wasn't a reach. Most of the experts, including Mike Mayock who I respect a lot, had Floyd as the second-best edge rusher available. While I understand that some folks here devote a lot of time to evaluating the draft, none of them have the collective expertise of the Bears draft staff nor have they spent the collective time the Bears' staff spent on the Floyd decision. This doesn't mean that Pace & Co. are infallible. It just means that the decision they made was made on superior expertise and preparation.

I'm good with it.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#35 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:24 pm

Clearly the fact that Floyd has the best pressure rate of all pass rushers in this draft bodes well. I do believe he was misused since they kept playing him at ILB. Not his skillset and not his body type. He's just under 250, so if he puts on 10-15 I think that's enough. Just need to see how it goes. I actually like the pick. And they were aggressive in getting him so I have some confidence. The fact that they only gave up a 4th is also good.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#36 » by fleet » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:11 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/wasram/status/726116247771975680[/tweet]
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#37 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:12 am

fleet wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/wasram/status/726116247771975680[/tweet]

Apparently so did the Ravens
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#38 » by Jake0890 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:13 pm

Pretty indifferent on this pick. If he gains some weight and can stack up as an NFL pass rusher, Pace looks like a genius. If he busts, Pace looks like he tried too hard to find the next Von Miller, swung, and missed.

I'm fine with it.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#39 » by fleet » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:16 pm

he's going to be 24 when the season begins. Did not know that. A little worrisome if he can't put on weight very soon.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#40 » by RedBulls23 » Sun May 1, 2016 3:52 am

Watching his introductory press conference, seems like a easy guy to root for. Confident, but humble. You can tell he has that southern politeness in him.

Return to Chicago Bears