Image Image Image Image

General Discussion: Bears 2016/17

Moderators: chitownsports4ever, emperorjones

User avatar
CjayC
RealGM
Posts: 10,134
And1: 362
Joined: Mar 02, 2005
Location: Hoiball
   

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#221 » by CjayC » Sun Jan 1, 2017 11:24 pm

fleet wrote:Ive read Allen is more of a technique player than athlete. I would feel more comfortable with a full package that high. Thinking out loud. Obviously Garrett is perfect. Peppers sounds like a tweener, maybe the good kind, but IDK. Adams I guess is ok. Garrett is the only guy I'm sold on at number 3. I prefer trading down for a QB if Garrett is not there, if the Bears feel a QB can develop as a franchise guy.


Allen is absolutely not only a technique guy, he has freakish athleticism for an interior lineman type of guy and his football IQ is off the charts. Easy the 2nd best player in the draft for me. Here's a really good scouting video if you have the time.



That said, Adams would be my pick. We already have a decent-ish front 7 when healthy. We need to end the merry-go-round we've had at Safety for over a decade.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 41,862
And1: 8,888
Joined: Dec 23, 2002
     

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#222 » by fleet » Sun Jan 1, 2017 11:25 pm

Susan wrote:How does everybody feel about Pace/Fox going forward?

Keeping the DC is all I care about. Pace, Fox and the OC have all been sufficiently meh for me to be just fine if they all went away. I'm big on bottom lines, and their W/L record speaks for itself. They failed at getting a QB solution most egregiously.
User avatar
Red Larrivee
RealGM
Posts: 35,850
And1: 10,647
Joined: Feb 15, 2007
Location: Hogging Microphone Time From Tom Dore

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#223 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Jan 2, 2017 1:39 am

Susan wrote:How does everybody feel about Pace/Fox going forward?


I don't care much for Fox right now, but I'll acknowledge that this team isn't a reflection of his coaching. I know there were rumors about Vic Fangio leaving, but personally I'd rather have Fangio coaching than Fox. Fangio has done a really good job with the defense. I'd rather promote him to HC than risk him leaving for another team.

I still think the jury is out on Pace. Sometimes fans forget how much Phil Emery set this franchise back with his poor drafting. This was never going to be a 1-2 year turnaround. It was more like 3-4. Pace has done alright considering the circumstances.
patryk7754
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,149
And1: 468
Joined: Jan 22, 2012

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#224 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 2:42 am

fleet wrote:
Susan wrote:How does everybody feel about Pace/Fox going forward?

Keeping the DC is all I care about. Pace, Fox and the OC have all been sufficiently meh for me to be just fine if they all went away. I'm big on bottom lines, and their W/L record speaks for itself. They failed at getting a QB solution most egregiously.

Idk how you can say pace can be meh. His drafts have been great. Not good, great. His big signings have been great. Mostly everyone he's added has had a positive contribution. The only negative thing he's done that's worth talking about is the Porter signing which has been absolutely horrible.

I can sort of agree with your point about the QB position. I think Paces hand have been tied with the deal emery gave cutler but he has failed to add a long term backup/replacement. He got one of the best backups in Hoyer but that was short term. He messed up not drafting Prescott
patryk7754
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,149
And1: 468
Joined: Jan 22, 2012

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#225 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 2:44 am

CjayC wrote:I think I'm good on drafting a QB at #3.

It's Allen, or Adams for me.

Pace needs to have Belichick on the phone to see if he'll part with Garoppolo for a 2nd and mid round pick.

I might legitimately cry if we get Allen and Garoppolo. Adams is great but I'm hoping we address safety in free agency by signing Eric Berry
patryk7754
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,149
And1: 468
Joined: Jan 22, 2012

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#226 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 2:47 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:Watching Bears Post game live on Comcast and Lance Briggs and Alex Brown toss out their top 5 defensive prospects

Alex - Garret,Allen,Maye,Peppers,Lattimore
Lance - Garret, Jamal Adams,Tabor,Peppers,Allen

in no particular order but I found it interesting that Lance seemed to hint that outside of Garret and Allen that he wanted the bears to take Adams in the first rd not necessarily #3 though.

Mine is pretty similar to Lance's. I'd go- Allen, Garret, Tabor (because of his versatility). With peppers and Adams it depends on what you're looking for. If you want a typical safety you go Adams, you want a Safety that lines up like a LB like Buchanan does for the cardinals you go peppers
patryk7754
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,149
And1: 468
Joined: Jan 22, 2012

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#227 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 2:54 am

Alshon has guaranteed a Super Bowl win for next season
patryk7754
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,149
And1: 468
Joined: Jan 22, 2012

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#228 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:00 am

Susan wrote:How does everybody feel about Pace/Fox going forward?

Pace:A+
Fox: incomplete. There have been too many injuries to fairly judge him, in my opinion. And most of the time the team has been playing hard.

OC: has to go. He was terrible at play calling and the drop off from Gase is atrocious. Marronewould be my top replacement option
User avatar
City of Trees
General Manager
Posts: 9,406
And1: 1,502
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
   

Re: RE: Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#229 » by City of Trees » Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:25 am

patryk7754 wrote:Tony Romo is looking pretty good

He hasn't been hit yet. There is no way you can count on him holding up for 16 games. I'll hard pass on Romo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
City of Trees
General Manager
Posts: 9,406
And1: 1,502
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
   

Re: RE: Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#230 » by City of Trees » Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:29 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:I found it interesting that Lance seemed to hint that outside of Garret and Allen that he wanted the bears to take Adams in the first rd.




Lance Briggs is still wishing for safety help 10 years later.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
City of Trees
General Manager
Posts: 9,406
And1: 1,502
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
   

Re: RE: Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#231 » by City of Trees » Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:32 am

Red Larrivee wrote:I'm fine addressing any secondary help in free agency as well, but I love Jabrill Peppers. I don't care if he doesn't get a lot of interceptions, he is such a special playmaker on defense and special teams. Vic Fangio would have a field day coming up with ways to use him. Jamal Adams is good too, but if we're targeting a safety at 3, I think we should trade back.

But our front 7 with one of Allen or Garrett would be seriously good going forward.

I can picture it now, Fangio blitzing both Floyd and Peppers from the same side

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
City of Trees
General Manager
Posts: 9,406
And1: 1,502
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
   

Re: RE: Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#232 » by City of Trees » Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:35 am

Susan wrote:How does everybody feel about Pace/Fox going forward?

I feel good. Pace has quickly built an above average 3-4 defense and Fox has everyone dialed in. Bears are much closer than it appears. Two teams from the NFC North made the playoffs this season, I have no doubt if injuries hadn't hit so hard the Bears would have been in serious play for the wildcard.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
patryk7754
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,149
And1: 468
Joined: Jan 22, 2012

Re: RE: Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#233 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:40 am

City of Trees wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:Tony Romo is looking pretty good

He hasn't been hit yet. There is no way you can count on him holding up for 16 games. I'll hard pass on Romo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app

I think it depends on the price. If we can get him for a 5th you have to pull the trigger. The benefit far outweighs the risk
patryk7754
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,149
And1: 468
Joined: Jan 22, 2012

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#234 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:13 am

My revised off-season plan

Starting Cap: $62,505,908

Cuts
Jay Cutler: +14,000,000
Lamar Houston: +5,010,000
Eddie Royal: +5,000,000
Tracy Porter: +3,450,000

Cap after Cuts: $89,965,908

Resignings
Alshon Jeffery: -12,000,000
Bryce Callahan: -800,000
Brian Hoyer: -2,000,000
Cornelius Washington: -1,000,000
Ted Larsen: -1,000,000
Christain Jones: -1,000,000

Cap after resignings: $72,165,908

Free Agents
Eric Berry, S: 8,400,000
Captain Munnerlyn, CB: 7,400,000
Morris Claiborne, CB: 3,000,000
Anquan Boldin, WR: 3,000,000
Andrew Whitworth, LT: 6,000,000
Don Barclay, RT: 6,500,000
Phil Dawson, K: 2,500,000

Cap after Free Agency: $35,365,908

Trades
Bears trade: 2017 3rd and 4th, 2018 1st and 4th
Chargers trade: Philip Rivers (-20,000,000)

Cap after Trade $15,365,908

Draft
RD 1: Jonathan Allen, DE
RD 2: Adoree' Jackson, CB
RD 5: Josh Augusta, NT
RD 6: Cole Hikutini, TE
RD 7: Josh Malone, WR

Depth Chart
QB: Rivers/Hoyer
WR: Jeffery/Boldin/White/Merideth/Malone/Braverman
TE: Miller/Hikutini
RB: Howard/Langford/Carey
O-Line: Whitworth/Sitton/Whitehair/Long/Barclay
D-line: Allen/Goldman/Hicks
LB: Floyd/Young/Freeman/Trevathan/McPhee
CB: Munnerlyn/Fuller/Jackson/Claiborne
S: Amos/Berry
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 41,862
And1: 8,888
Joined: Dec 23, 2002
     

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#235 » by fleet » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:22 am

CjayC wrote:
fleet wrote:Ive read Allen is more of a technique player than athlete. I would feel more comfortable with a full package that high. Thinking out loud. Obviously Garrett is perfect. Peppers sounds like a tweener, maybe the good kind, but IDK. Adams I guess is ok. Garrett is the only guy I'm sold on at number 3. I prefer trading down for a QB if Garrett is not there, if the Bears feel a QB can develop as a franchise guy.


Allen is absolutely not only a technique guy, he has freakish athleticism for an interior lineman type of guy and his football IQ is off the charts. Easy the 2nd best player in the draft for me. Here's a really good scouting video if you have the time.



That said, Adams would be my pick. We already have a decent-ish front 7 when healthy. We need to end the merry-go-round we've had at Safety for over a decade.

Ah thanks. Feel a little better about it. Does not seem like a freak though. More like adequate athlete . Strong, and advanced with his hands. 3/4 end sounds good with Hicks and Goldman. I guess Bullard was a miss. That Bullard pick always felt dubious to me. I'll believe it when I see it though if the Bears would pass on a QB if the stock rises high enough, and usually it does.
User avatar
CjayC
RealGM
Posts: 10,134
And1: 362
Joined: Mar 02, 2005
Location: Hoiball
   

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#236 » by CjayC » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:42 am

fleet wrote:Ah thanks. Feel a little better about it. Does not seem like a freak though. More like adequate athlete . Strong, and advanced with his hands. 3/4 end sounds good with Hicks and Goldman. I guess Bullard was a miss. That Bullard pick always felt dubious to me. I'll believe it when I see it though if the Bears would pass on a QB if the stock rises high enough, and usually it does.


He's no Dontari Poe, but for an interior 3-tech kind of guy that's about as good as it gets, for a guy that's well rounded. Fit is kind of a concern, but they'll do with they have to do to get their best 11 on the field if he's the choice.

Bullard is so far kind of a disappointment, and a lot thought he was one of the biggest steals. He slipped because people weren't a fan of his body shape. He's a tweener, so fitting him places is a concern.
heir_jordan22
Analyst
Posts: 3,729
And1: 172
Joined: Jul 16, 2008
   

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#237 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Jan 3, 2017 2:19 pm

Bullard will be a a good rotation guy. As will Washington. We clearly need another true starter. Take Jonathan Allen if he's there at #3. I think he's by far the best prospect in the draft and he fills a need for us so it would be perfect.

If Allen isn't there, trade down a few spots. Get an extra #1 and #2 next year to position yourself to trade up and draft a franchise qb. Or trade for multiple picks this year so you can trade for Garoppolo and still have a fall cache of picks.

Either way, no Allen, then trade down, draft another difference maker (safety or corner) and positions yourself to trade for your franchise qb.

Sent from my SM-G920P using RealGM mobile app
Axxo
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,805
And1: 289
Joined: Jun 28, 2016

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#238 » by Axxo » Tue Jan 3, 2017 9:12 pm

CjayC wrote:
fleet wrote:Ive read Allen is more of a technique player than athlete. I would feel more comfortable with a full package that high. Thinking out loud. Obviously Garrett is perfect. Peppers sounds like a tweener, maybe the good kind, but IDK. Adams I guess is ok. Garrett is the only guy I'm sold on at number 3. I prefer trading down for a QB if Garrett is not there, if the Bears feel a QB can develop as a franchise guy.


Allen is absolutely not only a technique guy, he has freakish athleticism for an interior lineman type of guy and his football IQ is off the charts. Easy the 2nd best player in the draft for me. Here's a really good scouting video if you have the time.



That said, Adams would be my pick. We already have a decent-ish front 7 when healthy. We need to end the merry-go-round we've had at Safety for over a decade.


With A-Rod in our division you have to have a good pass rush or you are going no where. SOLD on J. Allen.
User avatar
CjayC
RealGM
Posts: 10,134
And1: 362
Joined: Mar 02, 2005
Location: Hoiball
   

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#239 » by CjayC » Thu Jan 5, 2017 3:35 am

Axxo wrote:
With A-Rod in our division you have to have a good pass rush or you are going no where. SOLD on J. Allen.


Most definitely need to put that guy on his back. I'd love Jonathan Allen, but you can't go wrong with Adams, Hooker, or Peppers either. For round 2 I'd look to draft Brad Kaaya QB from Miami.
patryk7754
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,149
And1: 468
Joined: Jan 22, 2012

Re: General Discussion: Bears 2016/17 

Post#240 » by patryk7754 » Thu Jan 5, 2017 10:10 am

CjayC wrote:
Axxo wrote:
With A-Rod in our division you have to have a good pass rush or you are going no where. SOLD on J. Allen.


Most definitely need to put that guy on his back. I'd love Jonathan Allen, but you can't go wrong with Adams, Hooker, or Peppers either. For round 2 I'd look to draft Brad Kaaya QB from Miami.

I think Hooker is the best safety in the class. Peppers doesn't really fit our system imo and we need turnovers so I think we should pass on. But if we don't he'll still be great.

I also don't think we should draft secondary in the first. This might be the best and deepest secondary draft ever so I think we can wait on a corner and safety in the 2nd and 3rd. If Allen is gone I'm open to drafting any position except QB. My top pick would probably be Cam Robinson but if we go with a guy like Derek Barnett or Mika Williams

Return to Chicago Bears