Image Image Image Image

Off-season discussion

Moderators: chitownsports4ever, emperorjones

patryk7754
Lead Assistant
And1: 470

Off-season discussion 

Post#1 » by patryk7754 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:01 am

This thread may be a bit premature but with the way the team has played I'm the first two weeks plus a bunch of pretty significant injuries I feel like it's pretty clear that the playoffs are no longer a possibility. With that being the case, I think the best thing Pace can do is focus on scouting potential free agent pick ups and draftees.

I think the most important thing is replacing our tackles. You can say whatever you want about how the QB position is the most important and how Cutler has been a failure but the only three QBs I can think of that had a lot of success with horrible oline play are Big Ben, Newton, and Brady. I highly doubt a rookie will do better than Cutler with the horrible oline play. And just a side note, when Cutler had great oline play we had the second best offense behind only the greatest offense of all time.

Second, we need a QB. Not one that would necessarily get rid of Culter but we need someone to groom. This has been a whole since we've traded for Cutler and it needs to be addressed. Although I'm a fan and have defended Cutler because he has had such an ass supporting cast for the majority of his Bears career, I think we're never going to win with Cutler. It's just never going to all come together. We have an elite defense then our offense has the worst oline and Knoxs as the best receiver. We have an elite offense then the defense is the worst in franchise history. Its probably time to go our separate ways but man would I love to win with Culter.

Third, we need a RB (unless Howard shows out). I think letting Forte go is by far Paces biggest blunder. There was no reason not to resign him. Hes never hurt, not a problem off the field, and a top RB in the NFL. Langford has been disappointing as a starter and that's probably with the best interior oline in the NFL.

Fourth would be corner. Pace gambled on Porter being a number one CB and he was wrong. Porter isn't horrible but he's clearly not at his best in the one spot. On top of that, it seems like all of our corners are ridiculously injury prone.

Pass Rusher would be next. We need need a third dlineman who can rush. Golden being our best Rusher on the line isn't good.

After all that we can just use talent wherever. We need a TE, possibly a WR and safety and depth.
patryk7754
Lead Assistant

Re: Off-season discussion 

Post#2 » by patryk7754 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:55 am

Luckily with all these needs, we seem to have a GM who is a master planner and great at bringing in talent. With this coaching staff it wouldn't be unthinkable to have a contending team with a great off-season.

We have 45 mil in cap with 13 free agents including Jeffery. The rest aren't that significant with the next best guys being Hoyer Wilson and Prosinski. The first thing that needs to be done is resigning Jeffery. He'd probably get 15mil at the most. With the remaining 30 mil we can probably sign two or three significant FAs before filling out our roster.

Like I said, I think our biggest need is Tackle. The problem with that is that most of them are old as hell but they're still some of the best. On day one, I want to see us sign Andrew Whitworth. Hes 34 but he's elite. There's also the possibility of Joe Thomas being on the block.

After that we have to go after Stephon Gilmore. He might be the best FA and his talent can change a lot of things for this defense. Porter or Fuller can move to the nickel and then all of the sudden our secondary is crazy good. Talib will probably be on the block as well.

With our third "big" signing I want to keep the focus on the oline or the secondary. We can sign Andre Smith and then have the best oline in the NFL or sign one of Tony Jefferson or Eric Berry and have the best secondary in the NFL.

We'd also have to resign Barth unless Pace decides to bring in a rookie.

This year's draft could be an exciting one. We might have a top 3 pick and have the possibility to pull a RG3 To the redskins type trade or draft Garrett. But knowing the Bears they'll win just enough pointless games so we'll pick just out of that range. Based on what we've seen so far, I'd guess we will pick between 4-7. In that range Fournette will most likely be available and since Pace wanted Elliot so bad Leonard will most likely be our pick. For the rest of the draft, I'd like for the Bears to continue to focus on offense. Adding a TE, oline depth, WR depth and a god backup QB would be our biggest needs.

I think on draft night we'll be talking to the Patriots about garoppolo. I might be in the minority but I'm completely sold on him being great. Red brought up that Patriots backups usually don't do so well as full time starters but there are some clear differences between those guys and Jimmy. First off, Garoppolo was drafted to eventually be Bradys replacement while those other guys were meant to back Brady up. And the second one is simply the way Garoppolo has played. Those other guys played to manage the games but the Patriots told Jimmy to go out there and play like Brady and he looked really damn good. I know it's only a game and a half but belichick s rarely wrong. The problem would be the price and willingness to trade. I think since Brady has 3 or 4 more years at the least I think the Patriots would be more willing to trade Garoppolo so they can aviod an osweiler situation. The price will be highly though. I think Belichick would really like a guy like Floyd. Bill likes LBs that can can cover and rush and Floyd fits the bill. Along with Flyod we'd probably have to give up a second and a future third or fourth. That's a huge gamble but I'd e willing to take it. If we do trade for Garoppolo we can either get a decent pick for Cutler or a bunch more cap.

Recap

Resign Jeffery

Sign Whitworth, Gilmore and Tony Jefferson

Trade Lenorad Flyod 2017 2nd and additional future pick for Jimmy Garoppolo

Cut/Trade Cutler

RD1: Lenorad Fournette, RB
Rd3: David Sharpe, RT
RD4: Baker Mayfield, QB
RD5: Hunter Dimick, OLB
RD6: Bucky Hodges, TE
RD7: Eddie Vanderdoes, DE
heir_jordan22
Analyst
And1: 173

Post#3 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:12 pm

I'm going to say right away, I haven't seen much of Baker Mayfield, but it seems like every game I watch he is really disappointing

Sent from my SM-G920P using RealGM mobile app
heir_jordan22
Analyst

Post#4 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:16 pm

As for the rest, I like the overall plan. I think if the Bears can have that type of off-season then they're a worst to first candidate.

With that being said, I think it defeats the purpose of taking such a big risk to acquire Garoppolo, just to dump Cutler or trade him for probably less than he's worth to us.

Things do always seem to go wrong, but that's because our last two GMs have only been good at drafting on one side of the ball. Pace seems much better at planning for the whole team overall. So keep the seasoned vet who produced the #2 offense in the league, and let the GM build the roster like this. Then both sides of the ball will be stronger for it.

Just draft another QB to learn behind Cutler, and possibly Hoyer if we can keep him too.

heir_jordan22
Analyst

Post#5 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Tony Jefferson through two games already has 21 tackles
heir_jordan22
Analyst

Post#6 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:21 pm

I also think letting Forte walk was a terrible mistake.

We got rid of Marshall and replaced him with White. I think Elliot was definitely the plan, and it would've looked good on paper and the Bears would be better for it in year 2 or 3 of White and Elliot, but missing out on him was a huge hit.

We need to get a big time RB in the draft if one of these young guys doesn't take a big step forward. I would be fine with taking Fournette in the first, but I'd also be fine with taking a RB in the second since teams pass up on top level RBs in the first.

patryk7754
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by patryk7754 » Sun Nov 6, 2016 8:37 pm

2017 Bears Free Agents
Alshon Jeffery-resign 4yrs/45mil (10.5 mil 2017 cap hit)
Brian Hoyer- resign 1yr/2mil
Eric Kush-walk
Connor Barth-resign 1yr/885,000
Sam Acho-walk
Chris Prosinski-walk
Deonte Thompson- resign 2yr/3mil (1.25 2017 cap hit)
Logan Paulsen-walk
Mike Adams-walk
Nick Becton- walk
Cornelius Washington-walk
Marquees Wilson-walk

Total 2017 cap hit: 14.635mil

2017 General Free Agnet Signings
Stephon Gilmore, CB: 4yr/40mil (8.5mil 2017 cap hit)
Andrew Whitworth, LT: 2yr/16mil (6mil 2017 cap hit)
Andre Smith, RT: 3yr/13mil (4.5 mil 2017 cap hit)
Robert Woods, WR: 2yr/4mil (2mil 2017 cap hit)
Jelani Jenkins, ILB/OLB: 3yr/11mil (2.5mil 2017 cap hit)
Tony Jefferson, S: 4yrs/20mil (4mil 2017 cap hit)

Total spent in FA: 27.5

DRAFT
RD 1: Jonathan Allen, DE
RD 2: Nick Falk, QB
RD 3: T.J. Watt, OLB/ILB
RD 4: Greg Pyke, OT
RD 5: Josh Augusta, NT
RD 6: Darius English, OLB
RD 7: Brandon Facyson, CB

Return to Chicago Bears