Image Image Image Image

Briggs-5 teams interested 4 days till draft!

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

Trade him or not?

Total votes: 0

Ruben Douglas
Veteran
And1: 25

Post#41 » by Ruben Douglas » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:55 pm

I think the only way the Bears made the trade is if they could get Rocky thrown in as part of the deal, just my opinion. I'd still rather see the Bears trade Briggs for the 6.
SuburbanOasis
General Manager
And1: 22

Post#42 » by SuburbanOasis » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:20 pm

While I don't think the #6 for #31 and Briggs is unreasonable... I don't want us to do the deal.

If were willing to give the #6 pick a 15-20 mil dollar signing bonus why not just give it to Briggs? It's likely going to be a defensive player anyway since the top 5 offensive players will probably go top 5 overall.

Beyond that we will probably be able to improve the offensive line just as easily at #31 than in the top 6 unless Thomas falls, which he won't. And the only other player we would be interested in, Johnson, will be off the board by the timewe pick.

In my opinion it's pointless to do this trade unless you see a player like Landry as a HOF player, at which point you are upgrading. But right now we would be trading a 2 time pro bowler/1 time all pro for a rookie.. and likely paying them the same. Makes no sense.
Joe Jackson
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#43 » by Joe Jackson » Tue Apr 3, 2007 11:52 pm

SuburbanOasis wrote:While I don't think the #6 for #31 and Briggs is unreasonable... I don't want us to do the deal.

If were willing to give the #6 pick a 15-20 mil dollar signing bonus why not just give it to Briggs? It's likely going to be a defensive player anyway since the top 5 offensive players will probably go top 5 overall.

Beyond that we will probably be able to improve the offensive line just as easily at #31 than in the top 6 unless Thomas falls, which he won't. And the only other player we would be interested in, Johnson, will be off the board by the timewe pick.

In my opinion it's pointless to do this trade unless you see a player like Landry as a HOF player, at which point you are upgrading. But right now we would be trading a 2 time pro bowler/1 time all pro for a rookie.. and likely paying them the same. Makes no sense.

Not exactly.
You would be trading your pro bowler for an untested rookie and paying him the same money.
And giving up your #31 first round draft choice.

That's why the Skins make no sense, they and rosenthas are stupid and we are Hertz.
cb4_89
RealGM
And1: 517

Post#44 » by cb4_89 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:03 am

Why don't you guys just do the trade then move up even more to get calvin johnson?
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#45 » by Joe Jackson » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:13 am

[quote="nomorezorro"][/quote]

You will learn more about economics, marketing, fair value and professional foorball when you go to High School, nomorezorro.

All the things that you mention:

Cost of signing the draft choice,many other factors (?), etc. -

and call them irrelevant objections to what is a fair value offer in your short sighted mind;

Are in fact part of the considerations any fool would take into consideration in deteriming if it is fair value.

Angelo is just that kind of fool I guess, because he took all of those pertinent factors into consideration and said, stick your lousy unfair value deal up your a$$ redskins.

If I offer to sell you my $25,000 car for $20,000.
But you also get the $15,000 lien that is on it.
Is that a fair value?

If you think it is, I have a car for you. I don't have any bridges, I sold them all to Dan Snyder.
You should buy some of Snyder's books on Good NFL Salary and Contract Management and read them.
y 2 a B
Banned User

Post#46 » by y 2 a B » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:17 am

cb4_89 wrote:Why don't you guys just do the trade then move up even more to get calvin johnson?

Easier said than done, mate.

CJ is probably a top 4 pick, and the Bucs really could use a player like him after having a poor year overall, especially on the offensive end.

I dont see any of the teams with the top 4 picks trading down, but it's worth a try. It might take the #6 and another mid-late first, or a decent quality player to get the other teams interested.

Being a semi-Bucs fan, I wouldn't want to trade down personally, unless the package was very, very attractive. Afterall, it's only a two pick difference. Would it be worth it from Chicago's side?
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#47 » by SportsWorld » Wed Apr 4, 2007 2:02 am

No way do we keep Briggs into the season. He is too much of a distraction.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#48 » by Posey H8er » Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:44 am

I don't know much of Rocky McIntosh. A lot of people seem to like him. What can he bring to the Bears?
Chained To The Ball
Rookie

Post#49 » by Chained To The Ball » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:50 pm

cb4_89 wrote:Why don't you guys just do the trade then move up even more to get calvin johnson?

If dreams could only come true. Hard to wheel that deal.

Yet, if you only traded Briggs for the 6th. pick. We could then package 6 and 31 for C.J.

May still be a reach.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#50 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:53 pm

moving up from 6 to 3 to get CJ, would take another 1st round pick. That is hard to do. Instead I can see us adding a 3rd or 4th to the deal and getting 6 and Rocky back.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#51 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:49 pm

Posey H8er wrote:I don't know much of Rocky McIntosh. A lot of people seem to like him. What can he bring to the Bears?

Hes extremely fast for a LB and very athletic. Even though hes only 230, hes always had the ability to shed blocks. Hes fast enough to cover almost any TE or RB in the league.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:26 pm

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsSt ... ry_id=3253

bears still negotiating with skins.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#53 » by SportsWorld » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:27 pm

Please take the deal. We don't want an unhappy player that will ruin our chemistry on our team.
Come on Angelo.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Apr 4, 2007 11:41 pm

he will only make a deal of HIS making that HE likes, to make a point to other players that this kind of behavior is not tolerated. I'm hearing that a lot of teams were turned off on pursuing Briggs when his agent took him on a tour of other teams during spring meetings. Skins are all we have left.
y 2 a B
Banned User

Post#55 » by y 2 a B » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:00 am

The way I see it, is that Briggs has already made a huge scene about the situation, and has made it clear that he doesn't want to play in a Chicago uni again.

Chicago would obviously like to keep him, but if I had a player that has publicly talked negatively in a manner about my franchise, I look to trade him, and get maximum value out of him. Briggs doesn't want to be here, and right now, it's best if he isn't.

I think the best option for us is to take the deal for #6, and start fresh with a young talented rookie. Maybe we even trade down -- get a little extra along with a mid-late first round pick so we cut down on salary.
SuburbanOasis
General Manager
And1: 22

Post#56 » by SuburbanOasis » Thu Apr 5, 2007 7:07 pm

Moving up from 6 to 3 or 2 (which are the only possible spots) is going to cost a lot, and end up with us paying out the ass for the player.

It would likely take our high 2nd rounder and another lower pick (assuming the #31 is already gone to get up to 6).

I'm not saying Johnsons not worth it... but were not talking about moving up 1 or 2 spots, were talking about leap frogging a team who wants the same player as us. Furthermore whatever team trades down is either going to need to want to trade down again (which will get harder) or be content selecting a defensive player, because the top 5 offensive guys will likely all be gone by the time they draft.

The only way I make the deal is for Calvin Johnson, but top receivers are such a crap shoot that scares me.
IVSKIN
Bench Warmer

Post#57 » by IVSKIN » Fri Apr 6, 2007 7:14 am

There is no way we can get CJ. Angelo is not going to bet the farm to bring in one player. I also seriously doubt we can get Rockey and the 6th from the redskins. They made huge trades to get that kid in a washington uniform, so I doubt they will let him go so quickly.
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#58 » by Joe Jackson » Fri Apr 6, 2007 5:39 pm

IVSKIN wrote:There is no way we can get CJ. Angelo is not going to bet the farm to bring in one player. I also seriously doubt we can get Rockey and the 6th from the redskins. They made huge trades to get that kid in a washington uniform, so I doubt they will let him go so quickly.

That wil be fine.
Let Briggs rot.

Draft a LB with #37 or in the 3rd round and let him and Jamr Williams and Wilson duke it out to replace him.
And move on.
TylerB
Analyst
And1: 98

Post#59 » by TylerB » Fri Apr 6, 2007 9:42 pm

What I want to see is what happens if we keep Briggs and let him sit. He said he would play the last 6 games. Do you let him play or keep him deactivated? And if he played would he want to continue to play in the playoffs or would he then again sit out.
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#60 » by Joe Jackson » Fri Apr 6, 2007 10:10 pm

TylerB wrote:What I want to see is what happens if we keep Briggs and let him sit. He said he would play the last 6 games. Do you let him play or keep him deactivated? And if he played would he want to continue to play in the playoffs or would he then again sit out.

Play him on every special teams unit. Only. Appoint Olin Kreuz as his special coach to be sure he makes a bonifide effort to contribute.
If he doesn't, suspend him and he'll lose his year's credit.
Then franchise him again next year.

Urlacher isn't one of the 5 highest paid LB in the league, so he would be making more than Urlacher this year.

Return to Chicago Bears