Royce White around the USA in 160 days

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Re: Royce White around the USA in 160 days 

Post#41 » by MaxRider » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:14 pm

peachbucket wrote:
MaxRider wrote:i don't care he will be the next lebron james or best player in the league
trade him away
he's getting paid to do his job
go to practice, attending games (you wont be playing) are still part of your job

He actually has negative trade value now...he is owed 3 million guaranteed.

if he refused to go to game and practice that violated his contract
team can suspend him without paid
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#42 » by zapatasblood » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:19 am

MaxRider wrote:damn you morey
told you to draft perry jones instead

I agreed but I liked the drafting of Royce then but not so much now. Still rather have Teague or PJ3 who I was begging for
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#43 » by Guy986 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:39 am

I feel for Royce White. I really do.

As a fan, i think we made a mistake with the 16th pick.

As a person who suffered from episodes of anxiety since i was a kid, i'm sympathetic. The irrational fear of something as mundane as getting in an elevator full of people or buying a happy meal in Mcdonalds used to make my heart pound and my skull sweat. I've gotten a bit better at dealing with roomful of random people whom i assume are always psychotic serial killers as i've aged. I discovered beer. :wink:

Unfortunately the real world doesn't care about your problems. Its about whether you can do your job or not. This is especially true for a professional athlete. Its a cut throat business.

But White did teach me that i can be open about my anxiety. And that there is nothing wrong with being open and honest about your anxiety. (as long as you don't go overboard.......) For that i'm thankful.

Anyhow White posted this picture on this twitter account. http://instagram.com/p/SERm31ulld/

If White really care about his child's future, the responsible thing to do would be to follow the rockets plan. Take the guaranteed millions for 2 years. With that resources he can champion his cause through other routes. Everyday he gets fined is everyday his family suffers. Fighting this war with the Rockets wont end well for him. No one care what a poor nobody has to say on twitter.
spolgar
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#44 » by spolgar » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:21 am

Guy986 wrote:I feel for Royce White. I really do.

As a fan, i think we made a mistake with the 16th pick.

As a person who suffered from episodes of anxiety since i was a kid, i'm sympathetic. The irrational fear of something as mundane as getting in an elevator full of people or buying a happy meal in Mcdonalds used to make my heart pound and my skull sweat. I've gotten a bit better at dealing with roomful of random people whom i assume are always psychotic serial killers as i've aged. I discovered beer. :wink:

Unfortunately the real world doesn't care about your problems. Its about whether you can do your job or not. This is especially true for a professional athlete. Its a cut throat business.

But White did teach me that i can be open about my anxiety. And that there is nothing wrong with being open and honest about your anxiety. (as long as you don't go overboard.......) For that i'm thankful.

Anyhow White posted this picture on this twitter account. http://instagram.com/p/SERm31ulld/

If White really care about his child's future, the responsible thing to do would be to follow the rockets plan. Take the guaranteed millions for 2 years. With that resources he can champion his cause through other routes. Everyday he gets fined is everyday his family suffers. Fighting this war with the Rockets wont end well for him. No one care what a poor nobody has to say on twitter.

Nicely done.

Royce is unfortunately smart and obstinate enough to rationalize his behavior to some higher calling. The issue is that Rockets are according themselves as business as usual with Royce, which Houston is pretty good about being nice to their players. Royce on the other hand thinks he has a really good idea on what is best for his own health, and therefore wants to do it his own way. Each side is unfortunately right. The Rockets have the CBA and probably the players association on their side that dictates how the franchise oversees the management of a player's health. They have that right because they have to pay for it. Royce on the other hand should feel uneasy about having to deal with a shrink he doesn't know, and one who might offer contradictory advice to his own therapist. On another note, one can only image what both of Royce's therapist thinks about all of this.

When you come late to camp because of contract disputes that pertain to disability, a lot of people will give you one pass and let it go. When you start missing games and practices and you are in a contract where you can't be fired, there is no way to spin what you did and make it look good. Especially not when one in eleven folks can't find work.

Royce White is certainly not doing himself any favors by speaking about his disputes with the rockets on twitter. 140 characters long statements in anger will always sound like a tantrum rather than a cogent argument. He needs to stay off the Internet megaphone for awhile.

I don't think Houston drafted poorly at the time. This has nothing to do with his anxiety per se, nor his basketball ability. How he handled himself in Ames, Iowa is literally night and day from where he is now. Based on the available information, the Rockets did the right thing.

On a side note about the money:

When the Bush tax cuts get rolled back in January, Royce will take home a bit more than half of that 3.2 million guaranteed money. You could live carefully on a million and a half for 20 years, but with capital gains tax hikes coming into play, it'll make money managers lives a bit more difficult just to beat inflation. Plus he'll have to live much more modestly if he doesn't want to eat into principle. If he doesn't want to play in the NBA beyond his rookie contract, he better have a plan B.

Last but not least, I really, really, really want to see Royce play. Every one who has seen him play well at Iowa State will never forget that. I would hate for someone capable of doing things that I could never even fathom be stopped by circumstances that he can control.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#45 » by peachbucket » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:52 am

MaxRider wrote:
peachbucket wrote:
MaxRider wrote:i don't care he will be the next lebron james or best player in the league
trade him away
he's getting paid to do his job
go to practice, attending games (you wont be playing) are still part of your job

He actually has negative trade value now...he is owed 3 million guaranteed.

if he refused to go to game and practice that violated his contract
team can suspend him without paid

Are you sure about that? What if it's his mental disability that is preventing him from doing so? A mental disability that he fully disclosed prior to signing his contract.
spolgar
Bench Warmer

Post#46 » by spolgar » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:13 pm

peachbucket wrote:
Are you sure about that? What if it's his mental disability that is preventing him from doing so? A mental disability that he fully disclosed prior to signing his contract.

Then he should seek help, help which the Rockets organization has readily provided.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#47 » by Mr. E » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 pm

spolgar wrote:Then he should seek help, help which the Rockets organization has readily provided.

One thing that was mentioned when the fines were announced was that they could be levied if he skipped sessions with therapists that they have set up. I do think that the Rockets are trying to do right by the guy, but I don't think that they are going to be pushed around. Furthermore, I don't think that will be good for him as a person if he is not challenged on some issues.

Yahoo is reporting that the Rockets have stated that White is beginning to fulfill some of his contractual obligations. That is a good sign, if true.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#48 » by pickIBL » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Oh I don't think anyone is blaming the Rockets or coming after the Rockets on this. I actually think the Rockets are bending over backwards for a couple of reasons. First they saw a guy with a unique skill set that they don't want to give up on. And 2nd Royce is throwing around the words disease and illness.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
spolgar
Bench Warmer

Post#49 » by spolgar » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:45 pm

I hope in 20 years when all of this is behind him, he'll have plenty of fans who laugh with him about this incident.

Thing about the internet is that Google never forgets.
HTown_TMac
General Manager
And1: 222

Post#50 » by HTown_TMac » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:11 pm

www.atrilli.net <- music blog
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#51 » by Guy986 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 am

With this saga being so publicized, White will not find another basketball stint after this. Not in the NBA. Not in Europe. Not in China. Not anywhere. Who will give him a 2nd chance?

3.3 million is alot of money. Thats money he is unlikely to ever see again if he gets his contract voided. Dont walk away Royce. That would be completely irresponsible to his family.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#52 » by jwise44 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:48 am

God now I'm really pissed at this prima Donna b**ch...he is going to Espn and making the rockets look like we haven't tried to help him and that we are the bad guys and he's willing to walk away cuz we are mistreating him....anxiety disorder or not

F V ( I< THIS GUY SO HARD!!!!!!

This is not how a professional acts towards employers who are going out of their way to accommodate him, much more than any other owner would, even if u have a mental disorder

Bashing them on twitter, saying u have to play or ur anxiety will act up, REFUSING to go to the d-league where he would get plenty of pt and easier traveling, and then bashing to the media so people will think ur the victim and we are the bad guys

Edit oh ya and refusing to go to camp

F*** him!
spolgar
Bench Warmer

Post#53 » by spolgar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:27 am

*Face Palm*

What a dumb ass.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#54 » by peachbucket » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:50 am

Guy986 wrote:With this saga being so publicized, White will not find another basketball stint after this. Not in the NBA. Not in Europe. Not in China. Not anywhere. Who will give him a 2nd chance?

3.3 million is alot of money. Thats money he is unlikely to ever see again if he gets his contract voided. Dont walk away Royce. That would be completely irresponsible to his family.

He will multiple more chances...just not any with long term guaranteed contracts.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,843

Post#55 » by inquisitive » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:53 am

790 radio said he is not quitting as far as the latest news...
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#56 » by jwise44 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:06 am

by the way sorry for my rant...just was really pissed off and overworked and when my friend told me he threw us under the bus on espn i was furious

have calmed down now......still mad at him, but i hope he puts this behind him, makes up with management by APOLOGIZING TO THEM, accepts our help, quits twitter (or at least bashing us on twitter) and becomes a professional basketball player and lives up to potential
spolgar
Bench Warmer

Post#57 » by spolgar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:14 am

You know, someone at ESPN must laughing at how much traffic Royce White has driven. A lot of people are getting paid with Royce White embarrassing himself over this. When I see Royce White on a webpage over this weekend, I read click throughs.

He tried this retirement talk once before during his first season at Minnesota, and he got away with it because Fred Hoiberg bailed him out. I wonder what Hoiberg has to say now. As a matter of fact, it fascinates me perversely how he's going to walk back all of this.
Aaron Brooks
Lead Assistant
And1: 629

Post#58 » by Aaron Brooks » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:12 am

spolgar wrote:You know, someone at ESPN must laughing at how much traffic Royce White has driven. A lot of people are getting paid with Royce White embarrassing himself over this. When I see Royce White on a webpage over this weekend, I read click throughs.

He tried this retirement talk once before during his first season at Minnesota, and he got away with it because Fred Hoiberg bailed him out. I wonder what Hoiberg has to say now. As a matter of fact, it fascinates me perversely how he's going to walk back all of this.

i see what you did there
baki wrote:Harden is essentially a very good role player, he's not a franchise player.
Nanogeek
Banned User
And1: 130

Post#59 » by Nanogeek » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Royce seems like a nice guy. I really hope he can work things out. I watched the brief documentary about draft day and you see people that generally care for the guy and the love he has for his mom. You wouldn't see that unless he was a good guy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUS6QBiViQ[/youtube]
ALPHAandOMEGA
Rookie
And1: 320

Post#60 » by ALPHAandOMEGA » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:34 am

Whats a basketball player that wont/ cant play basketball?

Not a good investment.

Return to Houston Rockets