ImageImage

Sunday @ Staples Center vs LA Lakers (GT: 6:30PM Pacific)

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

kinein
Rookie
And1: 119

Sunday @ Staples Center vs LA Lakers (GT: 6:30PM Pacific) 

Post#1 » by kinein » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:54 am

Rockets are 11th in the Western Conference - Right underneath the Lakers.
In the SouthWest Division - 4th, 2 games behind the 3rd Ranked Dallas Mavs.

Probably Starters for the Rockets.

In the Backcourt....

Jeremy Lin & James Harden
ImageImage

Considered one of the BEST backcourts in the league - chemistry continues to build and the team looks to start games with more energy and work on finishing games!

In the Front Court!!

ASIK~ THE BEAST - Who has steadily installed an OFFENSIVE GAME - sure to cause grief in the hearts of coaches around the league.

Omer Asik’s quick dividends: Although many questioned Houston General Manager Daryl Morey’s decision to sign Asik – he of a mere 13.8 minutes per game through two seasons in Chicago – to a three-year, $25 million deal, so far the gamble has paid off. Through seven games the Turkish-born center is registering career-high per-36 averages of 11 points and 14.5 rebounds and a 72 percent free throw clip (way up from his career average of 48 percent). More impressive still has been Asik’s surprisingly high 18.2 usage rate, no doubt a product of James Harden and Jeremy Lin’s emphasis on the pick-and-roll.

Asik’s increased minutes have predictably put something of a dent in his overall offensive efficiency (his 42 percent from the field is far off his career clip), but as long as he continues to make glass and rim his focal points, Houston should have itself a front-court bargain for years to come.
NY Times 11/15/12 - Jim Cavan

CHANDLER BANGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Despite battling through a beginning season slump - he has SHAKEN off the dreaded sophmore slump - and offensively kicked his game up, scoring beyond the arc in clutch situations - and throwing his game into gear! Hopes are that he continues to improve on defense - especially against the 3 & switching efficiently with teammates. Look for him to play strong into the 4th!

Patrick Patterson aka PATPAT aka PATx2
Despite the fact conversations involving the Rockets have barely mentioned Patpat other than him defensively being soft. I still recall how he was our rock for one game - and was our ONLY OFFENSE.
I believe that he is still trying to find his proper place within the teams offense/defense.
* I'm completely discounting the rumor that he is tanking with the intention to get traded.
* Most of his stat averages defensively are down - but his assists are up and he is averaging 30mpg which is almost double of his initial 1st year of 16mpg, 2 years ago

Would love to see him get more energized though - with a Chip on his shoulder.
* Lucky for him - there are larger distractions to keep the detractors from targeting him.

Interim Coach - Kelvin Sampson. Holding down the Fort for McHale - along with the other assistant coaches

Kelvin Sampson continues to draw fire for his benching of starter Jeremy Lin - during crunch time. Lin did not play in overtime versus the Portland Trailblazers although he had a double double for the night. Expect for one of the sub-stories to be whether Sampson continues to bench Lin and possibly start TD against the Lakers. The second thing to watch for is whether Sampson will remove #7 from the floor in the 4th quarter towards the final 6 minutes.

Possible Starters or Early Substitutions.

Toney Douglas!!

Although he went 1-15 in the first 4 games, he rebounded with some solid performances recently and has contributed greatly on both sides of the ball.
* Expect to see him improve further on offense and defense as he becomes a reliable 2nd unit commander
* There is a small chance that TD may start if Coach Sampson believes there is a better matchup.
According to the Interim - he never watched any of Jeremy Lin's games last season so he does not know anything about #7

MARCUS MORRIS

After overcoming the reality check that is the NBA - he has blown away all the detractors that called him an "experiment" and shown through all his hardwork, dedication, and commitment that he deserves play-time. This was seen early on with defensive stops including sacrificing his body to take charges.

Hitting the go-ahead 3pt tie in CRUNCH in the 4th Quarter - he gave the Rockets a chance to fight in OT vs the Blazers.

* Not many people are talking about Morris - but I see the potential for him to be deadly - both from beyond the arc, on the regular, and also as a interior shooter and DUNK threat - look to see Lin and Harden incorporate more toss & dunks with Morris as he gets more play time and gets more comfortable with the flow of the game and the new offense that the Rockets are evolving into as they hit speed-bumps going 100mph.

Versus the Lakers

And Coach

Look for Lakers to play up-tempo and more natural basketball - instead of set plays.
* Mike D'antoni will be looking to establish a Riddim & Flow, showtime basketball ~ lets get a moving!
* He described it as bball where you could almost literally hear and feel the beat of the game - which would speed up or slow down with whomever was currently on the floor.
* What else to expect: Lakers will attempt to take lead early and put some major points before the 2nd half - win early theme, and stay ahead early ~
* Will rely on defense mainly to win games - with Nash not ready to return yet.

Expect them to try to set the tone out the gates.

Mike D'antoni Press Conference
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHssFtZQthQ[/youtube]

This will be very interesting.

Kobe Bryant is quoted as saying: Wait til next year (versus the Knicks and in response to Jeremy Lin's 38 pt domination of the Lakers)

Last season ....

Parson's daggering!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPg9jCTNVUQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIcVUzMwkWk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iWWFk6TX18[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xuGb4x1eYQ[/youtube]

-------------------------------

Expect Bryant to be fired up ~

Both Harden and Lin have played well against Kobe from last season - and with the Lakers and the Rockets both working with new line-ups and additions of new dynamic and exciting players.

Concerns - Increasing the Confidence and Swagger of Jeremy Lin
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WDK6NCsxzo[/youtube]

Besides Patterson - Jeremy Lin also needs to find his swag, and feel comfortable on the court and JUST PLAY BASKETBALL!

This will be a MATCHUP worth pre-partying for!

GRAB THE BEERS EARLY! GRAB THE VODKA AND JUICE EARLY! GRAB YOUR CHIPS BURGERS SALSA and WHATEVER YOU WANT EARLY - DON't MISS A SECOND.

Tue, Jan 3, 2012 @ Los Angeles Lakers L 99 108
Tue, Mar 20, 2012 Los Angeles Lakers W 107 104
Fri, Apr 6, 2012 @ Los Angeles Lakers W 112 107

Brought to you by Kate Upton!

Questionable - Carlos Delfino - due to Groin Injury

Carlos has been playing phenomenally and brings a level of calmness with his veteran experience.

Things haven't been easy for the Rockets (4-5).

Coach Kevin McHale is still away for a personal matter, and Houston has split the four games he's missed. First-round pick Royce White also isn't with the team, upset with management's "inconsistent" handling of him regarding anxiety issues.

The Rockets also are having problems putting teams away. They nearly wasted a 20-point advantage in the second half against New Orleans in a 100-96 win Wednesday, and that came between two defeats in which they blew seven-point leads in the final four-plus minutes.

"It's frustrating. It hurts," Chandler Parsons said after a 119-117 overtime loss at Portland on Friday. "... Something's got to change where we can close out games better so that when we get these big leads we can keep them and extend them."

Parsons has averaged 19.0 points over the past three games, a stretch during which Omer Asik also has stepped up with 16.7 points and 14.0 rebounds per game.

Asik now must battle Dwight Howard, who like the young Rockets center has posted three straight double-doubles.

Jeremy Lin had his second double-double in a Houston uniform Friday with 11 points and 11 assists, but he's shot 30.3 percent from the field over the last four games.

James Harden scored 29 points Friday, but the Rockets fell to 1-5 when he fails to reach 30.

Source: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/preview?id=400277866
phoenixx
Pro Prospect
And1: 5

Re: Sunday @ Staples Center vs LA Lakers (GT: 6:30PM Pacific 

Post#2 » by phoenixx » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:47 am

Sampson never watched any Linsanity games? Does this guy even watch basketball?
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#3 » by Durant Durant » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:08 pm

Sampson should go back to amateur basketball if he's not in touch with pros.
No no yes yes
pumpfake ersan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by pumpfake ersan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:08 pm

i think 20 min. for asik tonight, not longer because of foul problems, greg smith must step up
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#5 » by Mr. E » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:53 pm

Good game thread kinein!

GO ROCKETS!!!
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,843

Post#6 » by inquisitive » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:08 pm

expect a track meet tonight....i expect more players off the bench due to all the running...expect quite a few more TOs too.....lots of layups and blown layups too...lol
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Jeremy Lin 7
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,232

Post#7 » by Jeremy Lin 7 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:50 pm

Starting Douglas to defend Darius Morris? Highly doubt he'll be playing any major minutes today.
phoenixx
Pro Prospect
And1: 5

Post#8 » by phoenixx » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm going to love seeing Kobe and Harden.
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#9 » by Kobe System » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Should be a good game. :beer:
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#10 » by jwise44 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:36 pm

well done good sir (especially the kate upton pic), but it is not a rockets vs. lakers thread without

but where have you heard pat pat was playing bad to get traded? that sounds like a horrible plan for him?

BUT TEXANS WITH A COMEBACK VICTORY TODAY (against the jaguars)

If the rockets win tonight today will have been an amazing day
Zubby
General Manager
And1: 835

Post#11 » by Zubby » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:44 pm

Is it just me or in this picture do Harden and Lin look like a couple of fat kids about to eat cake; while Parsons is behind them thoroughly disgusted?

or Parsons is sweating mesmerized by "dat booty"
ennui
General Manager
And1: 955

Post#12 » by ennui » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:56 pm

Have not seen a full Rockets game, am excited to see you're backcourt in action. May the best team win.
C'mon, you apes! You wanna live forever?
kinein
Rookie

Post#13 » by kinein » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:35 am

jwise44 wrote:well done good sir (especially the kate upton pic), but it is not a rockets vs. lakers thread without

but where have you heard pat pat was playing bad to get traded? that sounds like a horrible plan for him?

BUT TEXANS WITH A COMEBACK VICTORY TODAY (against the jaguars)

If the rockets win tonight today will have been an amazing day

The trade thing - was a rumor and I think false.

I do know that his good performances thus far have kept the rookies from getting more play time but thats about it.

statistically he is doing better offensively in some parts but - rebounds, and defensively he has been up and down and overall is down a small percentage.

Though the main reference I'm relying on is the fan that watched Patterson play - live at the portland game. (screw portland announcers/refs !!@#!@#!@#)

This is what I think is really missing from his game. He's got too much buttoned up ~ Not to say that he needs to be emotional but that energy I think is missing.

Go Rockets - This is going to be the hottest game of the NIGHT!

Glad people like that gamethread :)
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#14 » by jwise44 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:43 am

^^i do have one minor suggestion

MORE KATE UPTON...and other assorted hot women in skimpy bathing suits

but ya i agree with the pat pat thing

he used to be my favorite, now i want him on the bench with morris starting and t-jones logging major backup minutes
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#15 » by Slava » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:02 am

Mike isn't coaching tonight, so battle of the substitute coaches. Hoping for a good game. :beer:

Since i live in Houston, I've been bandwagoning on the Texans all day as well.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
kinein
Rookie

Post#16 » by kinein » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:33 am

Zubby wrote:Is it just me or in this picture do Harden and Lin look like a couple of fat kids about to eat cake; while Parsons is behind them thoroughly disgusted?

or Parsons is sweating mesmerized by "dat booty"

LOL ...

GO ROCKETS!!

Update - Coaching for the Lakers will be the Interim Coach still.
rocketsballin
RealGM
And1: 354

Post#17 » by rocketsballin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:07 am

kevins first triple double? :o daam he's late as hell
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#18 » by Mr. E » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 am

Two teams.

Neither with a Head Coach in attendance. :lol:
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
BaYBaller
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#19 » by BaYBaller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:44 am

Was dreading another slow start but looking good so far... except for PatPat's airball hook shot lmao
Jeremy Lin 7
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,232

Post#20 » by Jeremy Lin 7 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:06 am

Great 40 points in the 1st quarter.

Return to Houston Rockets