ImageImage

Kostas Papanikolaou

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

CoolbeansB
Sophomore
And1: 25

Re: Kostas Papanikolaou 

Post#81 » by CoolbeansB » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:19 pm

texasholdem wrote:Would Kostas be offended if he were sent to the D-League?

He should be. He is too good of a player to not get minutes with the team. He will be our next "Chandler Parsons".
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#82 » by Mr. E » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:10 pm

I'd hope that he was mature enough to not to be offended logging minutes for the RGVV if they choose to do so. Pat Beverley is our most recent guy on the roster with European experience and they sent him down for a few games. Granted, he was a mid-season acquisition and that was mostly done to help him get up to speed on the playbook before throwing him in the fire.

Papanikolaou will have the benefit of the entire preseason, so that may negate the need to use the D-League for that purpose.

He also sounds to be more of a "ready now" type of player as opposed to Motie, Patterson, Jones or any of the other rookies that have been brought in.

I'm just trying to make the point that a D-League assignment is not viewed negatively with this franchise. I don't like the negative stigma that so many people assign with stints with the Vipers. The Rockets run that franchise very well and there is a reason why so many people are viewing it as a solid pipeline into the NBA.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Big_Papa
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#83 » by Big_Papa » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:14 am

Mr. E wrote:I'd hope that he was mature enough to not to be offended logging minutes for the RGVV if they choose to do so. Pat Beverley is our most recent guy on the roster with European experience and they sent him down for a few games. Granted, he was a mid-season acquisition and that was mostly done to help him get up to speed on the playbook before throwing him in the fire.

Papanikolaou will have the benefit of the entire preseason, so that may negate the need to use the D-League for that purpose.

He also sounds to be more of a "ready now" type of player as opposed to Motie, Patterson, Jones or any of the other rookies that have been brought in.

I'm just trying to make the point that a D-League assignment is not viewed negatively with this franchise. I don't like the negative stigma that so many people assign with stints with the Vipers. The Rockets run that franchise very well and there is a reason why so many people are viewing it as a solid pipeline into the NBA.

People use "European experience" way too loosely.
There are literally 100-150 teams in European Competitions.
There are also 5-6 major competitions if you count the national leagues.
It actually makes a difference WHERE you play.

There's the Euro Cup and there's the Euroleague.
Pat Beverly played for a good Eurocup team that would MAYBE rank top-16 in the Euroleague.

Barcelona and Olympiakos are better teams than half the teams that missed the play-offs in the NBA last year.

Pap has WON the Euroleague twice and been to a semi-final one time.
At 24....

So saying he's a rookie because he hasn't played in the NBA is like saying that Kevin Love is a rookie to the Eastern Conference. Will he adapt? Simply ridiculous.

Think of Luis Scola. As texasholdem pointed out, he is the most comparable player in terms of experience and being able to deal with pressure. (which is the no1 attribute a player needs in order to adapt in any sort of environment)

Was Scola anywhere near a D-League player when he came over? Some would even argue that he was past his peak when he came to the NBA.
Big_Papa
Ballboy

Post#84 » by Big_Papa » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:23 am

And YES he will probably ask to be released or traded if anyone at Houston even implies he might be sent to the D-League.

That's not being "immature" that means the organization don't know who they signed much like they did with Spanoulis. A player with a Euroleague legacy would never come to the NBA to be a fringe player.

That's why Spanoulis went back.
The season he wasted in Houston cost him a Euroleague title with Panathinaikos.
Thats actually a pretty big deal over here.

Since Spanoulis, ESTABLISHED Euro players (Lull is another) have been VERY picky over the teams the situation they find in the NBA.
Most of the time for these players the money is more in Europe and it is definitely better than playing for a lottery team in the NBA.

Think Juan Carlos Navarro. He could have been a great player in the NBA but simply didn't have two seasons to waste until the NBA caught up to how good he really was.

As a result, the Spurs are the team most Euro players want to play for as Pop actually values the mental toughness and the maturity NOT to look at stats that the Euro game offers a player.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#85 » by texasholdem » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Big_Papa wrote:As a result, the Spurs are the team most Euro players want to play for as Pop actually values the mental toughness and the maturity NOT to look at stats that the Euro game offers a player.

Well Pop did send Nando de Colo several times to the D-League and then traded him away before they won their championship. He's now back in the Euroleague. So the Spurs might not have that great a reputation anymore.

and Navarro left the Grizzlies after one year because Barcelona offered him a huge contract to come home.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
Big_Papa
Ballboy

Post#86 » by Big_Papa » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:03 pm

I'm not saying that all Euro players will succeed if given the right situation.

I am saying that they are very conscious in their selection of club and situation.

That's why I find it highly unlikely that Pap has come over without guarantees.

If it was all about the money as you are implying in Navarro's case, they wouldn't come in the first place.
If you consider that Pap is paying his buyout and only has one guaranteed year on his contract, the guy is giving up quite a lot of money to play for the Rockets.
CoolbeansB
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#87 » by CoolbeansB » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:04 am

I'm not worried about him not getting playing time. Usually defense will get you in the rotation and he is known as a good defender. I even watched a game where he played okay defense against Lebron. Couldn't stop him of course, but he kept him honest.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,780

Post#88 » by UcanUwill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:30 pm

I don't like the contract from player perspective. I think Kostas will struggle his first year, I doubt he earns that team option. He might be a solid NBA role player, but he will not have much time to prove it.

This reminds me of Timberwolves fans, who wanted to amnesty Pekovic's 4 Mil. a year contract after his rookie season. Pekovic needed more than one year to prove hes an NBA player. Same goes to a lot of European players.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#89 » by texasholdem » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:33 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I don't like the contract from player perspective. I think Kostas will struggle his first year, I doubt he earns that team option. He might be a solid NBA role player, but he will not have much time to prove it.

This reminds me of Timberwolves fans, who wanted to amnesty Pekovic's 4 Mil. a year contract after his rookie season. Pekovic needed more than one year to prove hes an NBA player. Same goes to a lot of European players.

It's just for flexibility for when (not if) Morey goes star hunting again to use as a trade chip.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#90 » by Greek » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:01 pm

Troll detected. Big_Papa=KWSV_MEN.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#91 » by inquisitive » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:19 pm

i would send him to the dleague for a few weeks just to get him some time.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Mavros_01
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#92 » by Mavros_01 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:29 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPb-g0X0nCY[/youtube]

He had another great play yesterday (TurkeyVSGreece) but couldn't find it.
Big_Papa
Ballboy

Post#93 » by Big_Papa » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Greek wrote:Troll detected. Big_Papa=KWSV_MEN.

You think I'm ruining the conversation big guy?
It is a post about Kostas isn't it?

I don't know who you're talking about btw, but by the looks of it you spend a lot of time looking at other websites.
Big_Papa
Ballboy

Post#94 » by Big_Papa » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Btw I looked this guy up. By the looks of one of his posts he's a Panathinaikos fan and absolutely hates Spanoulis.
As you can probably see I'm an Olympiacos fan that absolutely loves Spanoulis and I now like the Rockets now that they have three players that used to play for my team on their roster as well as wearing the same colors.

I also just saw your other post talking about this guy on the conversation about the World Cup I think...
Commenting on if Mirotic is this troll too.
You give a new definition to the name loser. What does being over zealously trying to identify a troll on the internet make you? His groupie?
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#95 » by Greek » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:40 pm

big_papa KWSV men or european baller or what else trolling account you are using you cant fool anyone, and of course as always you are lier. I never said that Mirotic is you, and i never said that i hate Spanoulis.

You are reaction is my prove about you. Start searching for a new nickname.Ban is coming
Remon
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#96 » by Remon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:26 pm

All 3 of his baskets from that game.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMNsCWYvOeg[/youtube]
Big_Papa
Ballboy

Post#97 » by Big_Papa » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Greek wrote:big_papa KWSV men or european baller or what else trolling account you are using you cant fool anyone, and of course as always you are lier. I never said that Mirotic is you, and i never said that i hate Spanoulis.

You are reaction is my prove about you. Start searching for a new nickname.Ban is coming

You're English isn't really good is it?
I didn't said you dont like Spanoulis, I said HE is a Panathinaikos fan with an a grave dislike for Spanoulis.
You're not going to get a bad word from me about Spanoulis.

I didn't say you said Mirotic was KWSV_Men, I said you're spending a lot of time talking about him.
That would make YOU the troll and the ban is probably coming for you.

and AGAIN... is there something that you would like to say about Kostas or something you disagree on or are you just trolling around?
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#98 » by jwise44 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:13 am

I'm now really excited for papa next year!

Please kosta fans don't start getting mad at the rockets organization if they make him spend a little time in the d-league...they do it all the time and they don't mean it as an insult

I don't want it to happen and I HOPE it won't happen, but the resigning of Garcia makes me fear he will unless he balls out in preseason

Really want the second unit to be

Canaan or nick (whoever wins the spot)
Daniels
Papa
Dorsey?
Motiejunas
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#99 » by inquisitive » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:21 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/513093745529470976[/tweet]
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Zubby
General Manager
And1: 835

Post#100 » by Zubby » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:26 pm

lol Vspan... well I guess he only had problems with JVG.

McHale > JVG

Return to Houston Rockets