ImageImage

Rockets big man rotation(realgm article)

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Rockets big man rotation(realgm article) 

Post#1 » by Guy986 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:59 am

On late Sunday night, the Houston Rockets released Jeff Adrien. While not on par with news like LeBron James heading back to Cleveland, Adrien’s release brought attention to the strange dynamics in the Houston frontcourt. Prior to being waived, you could make the case that Adrien was Houston’s third best big, behind incumbent starters Dwight Howard and Terrence Jones. Yet due to contracts, Adrien finds himself looking for a new team. The leftovers - Donatas Motiejunas, undrafted rookie Tarik Black and Joey Dorsey -- are now left to fill out the crucial rotation spots behind Howard and Jones.

Coming off an underwhelming FIBA tournament, Motiejunas was a mess this October. He posted a preseason PER of 7.88 and was also at fault for more than his fair share of defensive lapses. Part of the struggles could be attributed to the Rockets using Motiejunas as a backup 5 and encouraging more post ups than he will likely see in the regular season. But combined with his 4-of-13 showing on three-pointers, Motiejunas didn’t do anything to justify a rotation spot come Houston’s regular season gams.

Dorsey, signed this offseason after a three years in Europe, didn’t look much better. At 6’7”, Dorsey is something of a Ben Wallace-lite and the Rockets are surely hoping he can fill such a role in the minutes behind Howard. Upon returning from an ankle injury that cost him the first three preseason games, the 30-year-old Dorsey struggled to finish, rebound or impact the game defensively. The ankle injury did keep Dorsey out for the beginning of camp, so with some time to adjust to Houston’s scheme and regain his fitness, Dorsey should be better, but the question is how much?

If Dorsey’s preseason performance doesn’t drastically improve, the next option the Rockets will turn to is likely Black. Coming from out of nowhere, Black impressed with his energy, rebounding and toughness all preseason long. On a younger team with less lofty expectations, Black would be a no-brainer for minutes in an attempt to accelerate the refinement of his game. But this Rockets team is coming off a 54-win season in a loaded West and though Black brings some positive attributes, he’s only 6’8” (though he possesses a wingspan that’s just shy of 7’3”, according to DraftExpress), has an offensive game that’s limited to garbage buckets and is still feeling out the nuances of NBA defense. Black is a potentially a great find for Houston in the long-term, but right now he’s a rookie that’s still trying to find his way in the world’s most competitive league.

There are a few other options the Rockets can possibly sort through as the season wears on. The first being rookie center Clint Capela, who is a virtual unknown at this level because he’s missed all of preseason with a groin injury. The second is shifting rookie small forward Kostas Papanikolaou to the 4, like Houston did with Chandler Parsons at times. But Papanikolaou has also been adjusting to the power and pace of the NBA game and may not be physically capable of holding his own at that spot until a full offseason spent working on his body.

It seems as though with all their roster shuffling hoping to land a third superstar, the Rockets find themselves now with more questions than answers when it comes to an increasingly important part of NBA team-building: depth.

http://basketball.realgm.com/blog/23535 ... t-Tweeners

Can't argue with that. Beyond Howard and the inconsistent Tjones, Rockets bigs are arguably the worst in the nba.
MKL
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Re: Rockets big man rotation(realgm article) 

Post#2 » by MKL » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:13 am

That's what she said.
NBA fan for over 30 years. Please don't get rustled, live in peace.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#3 » by MaxRider » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:38 am

better than the days when chuck hayes is the starting center
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#4 » by Guy986 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:54 am

Thats obvious.

Just Dwight alone, this team's frontcourt is better than half the league. I'm talking about guys other than Dwight Howard.

Rockets have the 8.5mill TPE. They have Jason Terry, Donatas Motiejunas as fillers. At some point Morey has to trade for front court depth right?

We could get Ersan Illyasova really cheap now.
MKL
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#5 » by MKL » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:18 am

Ersan sucked in preseason. But I agree, he is a trade waiting to happen.
NBA fan for over 30 years. Please don't get rustled, live in peace.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#6 » by Nebula1 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:46 am

I'm rooting for Black to continue his run from the preseason, but it's clear dropping from Asik to this group is a big step back. This reminds me of when Gortat was Dwight's primary backup and then he was gone and Orlando took a step back then as well.

I feel good about Jones and DMO so Ersan isn't as much a priority as a straight up backup center. I'd target a Utah Jazz guy, like Rudy Gobert. Jazz aren't going to make the Playoffs and are loaded up front... Even Kanter would be worth a look.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,253

Post#7 » by pr0wler » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:50 am

Man our big man depth is horrible. Tarik Black is no more than a 12th man on a good team, D-Mo has a terrible BBIQ and looks clueless at times. He actually has some good skills but is not a smart basketball player by any stretch of the imagination.

Here's how I'd like to see the minutes spread out...

PG - Beverley (30) Canaan (10) Terry (8)
SG - Harden (36) Daniels (10) Terry (2)
SF - Ariza (36) Pap (12)
PF - Jones (32) D-Mo (8) Pap (8)
C - Howard (36) Black (8) D-Mo (4)

Other than Pap, we don't really have a bona fide option off the bench I'm happy with. I think our best bet is to spread out a majority of the sub minutes amongst a bunch of different guys and whoever is hot keep them in for the game. There is no clear cut answer between D-Mo and Black, as there is no easy decision between Terry, Canaan, Daniels etc. I think one of our best options is to give each 10-12 minutes a game, keep them fresh, and then decide later in the season who we want getting most of the backup minutes. And there's always bound to be injuries, so whoever is hurt we can easily fill in their time with other guys who have still been seeing the light of day and hopefully won't miss a beat.

And for what it's worth, we have one of the best, most well constructed starting lineups in the league. Our bench, however, is probably one of the worst, and most poorly constructed in the NBA. We'll see how it plays out!
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#8 » by texasholdem » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:40 pm

If Aaron Gray's cardiac condition improves the Rockets should consider signing him.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
CoolbeansB
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#9 » by CoolbeansB » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:59 am

I don't care what people on other boards say about Terrence Jones. The guy just fits with this team.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#10 » by Nebula1 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:05 pm

CoolbeansB wrote:I don't care what people on other boards say about Terrence Jones. The guy just fits with this team.

Yes he does. He struggled a bit on a back to back but that's mostly because he plays with high energy and didn't have as much in Utah. I love what Terrence does and how he works with Dwight.

All he really needs to do is knock down the 3 at a better clip. Everything else is good.
Senior
And1: 51

Post#11 » by 000001 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:47 pm

CoolbeansB wrote:I don't care what people on other boards say about Terrence Jones. The guy just fits with this team.

he is almost there hes very close where we can say we dont need to trade for a starting powerforward

first 2 games he looks more mature not picking quick fouls playing better defense and rebounding the ball well i dont like him shooting 3s and long jumpers if he continues playing this well we dont need to trade for a starting powerforward good to see him improve i wish i could say the same about dmo
fire morey please ,the sooner the better.....ryan Anderson is a 3 not a 4
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#12 » by Nebula1 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:33 pm

Rockets pick up fourth-year options on Terrence Jones, Donatas Motiejunas

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2014/10/rockets-pick-up-fourth-year-options-on-terrence-jones-donatas-motiejunas/?utm_source=http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=offpage-widget-dealer-spotlight&utm_content=http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2014/10/rockets-pick-up-fourth-year-options-on-terrence-jones-donatas-motiejunas/#27967101=0

The Rockets picked up their fourth-year options on the rookie contracts of forwards Donatas Motiejunas and Terrence Jones, keeping them under contract through the 2015-16 season, a person with knowledge of the moves said.

Jones, the 18th player taken in the 2012 draft, has been the Rockets starting power forward through most of the past two seasons. His contract in 2015-16 will be worth $2.49 million. Motiejunas, the 20th pick of the 2011 draft, has been in and out of the rotation as Jones’ backup. His contract next season will be worth $2.29 million.

Jones averaged 12.5 points and eight rebounds in the first two games of the season. Motiejunas averaged 3.5 points and four rebounds in 12.5 minutes per game.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#13 » by texasholdem » Sun Nov 2, 2014 10:29 pm

Would Rockets/Memphis do this trade? Kosta Koufos for Clint Capella?

KK would give Houston a true backup center who has starting experience if necessary.

CC would give Memphis a young PF to eventually replace Z-Bo.
Right now the only PF's Memphis has backing up Randolph is Jarnell Stokes, also a rookie like Capella and Jon Leuer who is more of a stretch 4 or a big SF.

Koufos is in the final year of a contract paying him $3m this season.

Would hate to give up on Capella's potential but Kosta is a proven NBA rotational player.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#14 » by inquisitive » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:23 am

if they aren't gonna play the euro dwight, then just trade him or cut him(guaranteed contract though)....see if j'oneal, okafor, or camby is available...euro dwight was suppose to be our rebounder and rim protector.

i think the pelicans pick, dorsey, capella, terry, daniels, garcia(no trade clause?), dmo are all trade bait...even jones depending on the player the rockets are seeking.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#15 » by Nebula1 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Capela to the Ds... should be interesting to see how he does.

Get well soon, Terrence.
Fattz
Junior
And1: 12

Post#16 » by Fattz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:46 pm

DMo :banghead: the waiting is over --> it is never going to happen for him as a Rocket. Would you consider him a serviceable player? Is there any trade value?
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#17 » by Nebula1 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:22 pm

Fattz wrote:DMo :banghead: the waiting is over --> it is never going to happen for him as a Rocket. Would you consider him a serviceable player? Is there any trade value?

I think he's gotten better and played ok in a bigger role since Jones went down. He's got nice footwork for a big man, an ok stroke and some defensive ability. I see no reason to cash out on him at this point... it's not like he's on a big contract.
Lorenzomax7
Rookie
And1: 243

Post#18 » by Lorenzomax7 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:27 am

Just go for Ryan Anderson. Period.
Watch NBA since 1998. Huge fan of A.C. Fiorentina, Spurs & Tim Duncan, Yao Ming & Linsanity, Brooklyn & Coney Island. Former Brooklyn Chinese resident.
CoolbeansB
Sophomore

Post#19 » by CoolbeansB » Wed Dec 3, 2014 4:34 am

MaxRider wrote:better than the days when chuck hayes is the starting center

True. Chuck held his own though.
CoolbeansB
Sophomore

Post#20 » by CoolbeansB » Wed Dec 3, 2014 4:39 am

Well, Capela was called up yesterday i believe. It's about time. He was set to break records in the D-league if he were playing more minutes. I'm really impressed with his progress.

Return to Houston Rockets