Post#21 » by JetLife » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:48 pm

We need to hire Luke Walton

Sent from The Villain
zapatasblood wrote:There is only one Jetlife
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Re: McHale out per Woj 

Post#22 » by Mr. E » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Sounds like they are going with Bickerstaff.

Of course, they would have to say that for right now. I'm sure that they are making phone calls.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Mr. E » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:12 pm

"They just weren't responding to Kevin" - Daryl Morey just now.
- Winston Churchill
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#24 » by texasholdem » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:22 pm

JetLife wrote:Unless we have the random minutes rotation machine please do not hire Thibs.

This man will run Harden to the ground. I know he plays heavy minutes already but Thibs will find some way to play Harden 55 minutes.

Sent from The Villain

On the other extreme Brooks might make Harden a 6th man again.

Coaches fired while having Dwight Howard on their team:
Johnny Davis
Brian Hill
Stan Van Gundy
Kevin McHale
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#25 » by zapatasblood » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:22 pm

JetLife wrote:McHale gets fired and Bill O'Brien still has a job after multiple 40 point blowouts.

Sent from The Villain

Dude bill is in his second year and the Texans suck plan and simple. have sucked since Brady did them in on letterman jacket day.
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
Hank7
Junior
And1: 68

Post#26 » by Hank7 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:21 pm

Congratulations. Now if only the Lakers will do the same with BS.
DetPistons04
Sophomore
And1: 124

Post#27 » by DetPistons04 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:37 pm

JetLife wrote:We need to hire Luke Walton

Are you serious? LOL Anyone would look good coaching Golden State...
From an outsiders perspective it's not hard to see the problem with the Rockets, they don't defend. Second from the bottom in opponent points per game at 108.5. The 3 games they won in regulation they had to score 110, 116 and 109 to get it done, that's not a good formula for a lot of wins. Coach Thibodeau would help from a defensive standpoint, but I'm not sure how the players would respond to someone like him. Very intense and fiery coach who demands defense and won't accept not defending. We all saw how much Dwight liked playing for a coach like that in Orlando. I don't see Thibodeau as a fit with Houston's roster.
"Count THAT baby, AND a foul!"
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#28 » by jwise44 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:38 pm

Kinda expected this after the super slow start

Someone had to be the fall guy
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#29 » by K_chile22 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:40 pm

DetPistons04 wrote:

From an outsiders perspective it's not hard to see the problem with the Rockets, they don't defend. Second from the bottom in opponent points per game at 108.5. Coach Thibodeau would help from a defensive standpoint, but I'm not sure how the players would respond to someone like him. Very intense and fiery coach who demands defense and won't accept not defending. We all saw how much Dwight liked playing for a coach like that in Orlando. I don't see Thibodeau as a fit with Houston's roster.

Outside of Fart jokes Dwight is much more mature than he was then and if they're winning he will be happy. Harden also really likes the guy. I don't know how it would work out for the Dwight Howard Maintenance plan though. Also won't fix the offense

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
DetPistons04
Sophomore

Post#30 » by DetPistons04 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:44 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
DetPistons04 wrote:

From an outsiders perspective it's not hard to see the problem with the Rockets, they don't defend. Second from the bottom in opponent points per game at 108.5. Coach Thibodeau would help from a defensive standpoint, but I'm not sure how the players would respond to someone like him. Very intense and fiery coach who demands defense and won't accept not defending. We all saw how much Dwight liked playing for a coach like that in Orlando. I don't see Thibodeau as a fit with Houston's roster.

Outside of Fart jokes Dwight is much more mature than he was then and if they're winning he will be happy. Harden also really likes the guy. I don't know how it would work out for the Dwight Howard Maintenance plan though. Also won't fix the offense

Dwight is fine as long as he can do what he wants and play the game on his own terms I guess... I'm not sure why you're so worried about your offense, just look at how many points they gave up in all the losses... That's a ton of points to give up and think you're gonna win.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#31 » by K_chile22 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:52 pm

DetPistons04 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
DetPistons04 wrote:

Dwight is fine as long as he can do what he wants and play the game on his own terms I guess... I'm not sure why you're so worried about your offense, just look at how many points they gave up in all the losses... That's a ton of points to give up and think you're gonna win.

Both are bad. We had a great defense last year and Harden completely carried the load on offense and if you do that you're going to burn him out fast. The defensive problem is probably 75% effort and 25% scheme. Once effort is fixed it will be ok. Offense on the other hand is just as stagnant and not creative as ever

DetPistons04
Sophomore

Post#32 » by DetPistons04 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:58 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
DetPistons04 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Outside of Fart jokes Dwight is much more mature than he was then and if they're winning he will be happy. Harden also really likes the guy. I don't know how it would work out for the Dwight Howard Maintenance plan though. Also won't fix the offense

Both are bad. We had a great defense last year and Harden completely carried the load on offense and if you do that you're going to burn him out fast. The defensive problem is probably 75% effort and 25% scheme. Once effort is fixed it will be ok. Offense on the other hand is just as stagnant and not creative as ever

Opponent PPG last year Houston was 17th... Eventually I'm sure that offense is gonna pick up. When you have someone like Harden offense will come, but it can be a bit tricky with a lot of 1 on 1 play as well.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#33 » by K_chile22 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:05 pm

DetPistons04 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
DetPistons04 wrote:

Opponent PPG last year Houston was 17th... Eventually I'm sure that offense is gonna pick up. When you have someone like Harden offense will come, but it can be a bit tricky with a lot of 1 on 1 play as well.

Opponent PPG is a bad stat. Makes slow teams look better on D and fast teams seem bad. GS had the best defense in the league last year but were 14th in opponent PPG because of their pace. Rockets were 6th in points allowed per 100 which is much more accurate.

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Mr. E » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:24 pm

From Marc Berman:

Leslie Alexander: "Some guys obviously aren't playing hard enough.If they don't respond & play hard they're not going to stay here"

Boss has spoken up. Hope that the team is listening.
- Winston Churchill
Pjax4Prez
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#35 » by Pjax4Prez » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:25 pm

I definitely believe Kevin was a scapegoat. Fans can blame X's and O's all they want but at the end of the day, this team is better than 4-7, no matter the scheme. Don't think Kevin is a great coach but he's not awful.

Also for those wanting Thibs, I don't think that would be the best fit either. This guy of course plays players until they can't breath (look at the corpse we call Loul Deng) but he isn't much of a offensive strategist himself, hence part of the reason he got fired from Chicago.

Lastly, what does a defensive coach like Thibs do with Harden? James won't automatically start playing defense and Thibs has been known to bench offense in favor for defense at times.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Mr. E » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:28 pm

The thing is that we saw last season that Harden was more than capable of playing good defense. I don't know if Thibs makes him better, but I don't think that is the issue. They've just got to get it through to him that he has to play like he did last season on both sides of the court.
- Winston Churchill
Teddyb
Pro Prospect
And1: 233

Post#37 » by Teddyb » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:41 pm

Mr. E wrote:
Teddyb wrote:lol...wow....well he made horrible decisions. He benched Lin for Beverly who has disappeared."Because of his defense" which was nonsense. Lin has been statisticaly better than Bev every year/ Not close. He deserved to go. He didn't run any offense. He allowed Harden to chuck up 30 shots a game and play NO defense. He sucked. Enjoy retirement.

Kind of funny. Mchale gone....Byron Scott will be gone soon too.....

I'm pretty sure that the usage of Jeremy Lin had absolutely no bearing on the decision to fire Kevin McHale. Do not try to bring this nonsense back to this board. It is not relevant, nor wanted here.

Oh of course not.....I didnt it to sound that way.....I just think he was a bad coach that made really bad decisions. Lin was shutting down Lilliard in the 4th and he made that switch to Parsons and BAM....he made bass decisions all the time
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#38 » by bondom34 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Teddyb wrote:
Mr. E wrote:
Teddyb wrote:lol...wow....well he made horrible decisions. He benched Lin for Beverly who has disappeared."Because of his defense" which was nonsense. Lin has been statisticaly better than Bev every year/ Not close. He deserved to go. He didn't run any offense. He allowed Harden to chuck up 30 shots a game and play NO defense. He sucked. Enjoy retirement.

Kind of funny. Mchale gone....Byron Scott will be gone soon too.....

I'm pretty sure that the usage of Jeremy Lin had absolutely no bearing on the decision to fire Kevin McHale. Do not try to bring this nonsense back to this board. It is not relevant, nor wanted here.

Oh of course not.....I didnt it to sound that way.....I just think he was a bad coach that made really bad decisions. Lin was shutting down Lilliard in the 4th and he made that switch to Parsons and BAM....he made bass decisions all the time

I assume you mean game 7. Where Lin was a -3 for the game and Parsons a +7. Lillard had 25 that game, including at a quick count at least 15 over Lin including a quick burst of 8 points as soon as Lin came in late first quarter.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#39 » by MaxRider » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:11 pm

Morey said it in his interview. Players are not responding to McHale. Players definitely have problem. This team need Thibodeau. Yea he will work players to death. At least he will bench those lazy one.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Post#40 » by RaoulDuke79 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:34 pm

Like others have said, I am not surprised they fired him but I am surprised by the timing of it. I also don't think he deserves all of the blame for how awful they've been playing, specifically on defense. The players need to be held accountable for their effort(or lack thereof). However, I suppose if they were just trying to get him fired then that could explain how pathetic they have looked so far this season.

I'm also not sure jacking up so many 3's is such a good philosophy when we lack enough quality shooters to do so. Maybe Morey deserves a bit of the blame as well in that regard.

Whatever, time to move on and hope they get it together while the season is still young.

I know most folks seem to want Thibs here, but I'd be thrilled to see JVG make his return.

Bring back the Gundy!
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.

Return to Houston Rockets