ImageImage

Is there an anti-Osweiler/Texans vibe in the NFL?

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Is there an anti-Osweiler/Texans vibe in the NFL? 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Sat May 21, 2016 12:00 am

A few days ago I started seeing reports that Brock Osweiler was having a hard time understanding the Texans playbook. Without knowing any context I was seeing people claiming that the Broncos were right about not wanting him back, that he didn't have the intelligence needed to play QB at a high level, Elway dodged a bullet, etc.

Looking into the comment that spawned this damnation of Osweiler I come to find out that it was from a light-hearted response he made to a reporter about the complexity of the Texans playbook. He never said or indicated that it was too complex or that he could not understand it. I realized that what I was seeing was not so much a damnation of Osweiler as it was an attempt to vindicate Elway and the Broncos.

Osweiler leaving the Broncos did not sit well with them. I don't care what they say, or how they try to spin things. He was clearly the guy they expected to take the snaps starting next year. I believe that they assumed that he would wait patiently while Elway took his time giving Peyton Manning his due. When Osweiler left for the Texans I do believe that they were shocked and hurt, and since then they have been reacting very vindictively.

Immediately following Osweiler's move the Broncos website was said to have some scathing comments about the departed QB. Those comments were deleted within hours and replaced with the more standard "wish you the best" type of canned response. That is when the team and it's supporters (and there are a lot of old-school football/media types who are Elway supporters) tried to change the narrative. Suddenly they took the position that they did not want Osweiler back. That it was their decision not to "overpay" to keep him.

The problem with that narrative is that they reportedly offered him a huge contract with $30M guaranteed. You do not offer that kind of money to someone you do not want back.

So now we have situations like this playbook being "too hard for him to understand." I don't think that is going to be the last we are going to see of this type of situation. There are people out there who are actively cheering for Osweiler & the Texans to fail because that makes the media darlings of the Broncos & Elway look better in retrospect.

Brock Osweiler may be under the biggest microscope of any Quarterback in Texans history. This time around it is not just Texans fans paying attention to his every move. There will be those out there who will pick up on any failure and add it to the spin narrative.

I hope that Osweiler is up to it.

Go Texans!
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Re: Is there an anti-Osweiler/Texans vibe in the NFL? 

Post#2 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:35 am

It's pretty silly.

"Osweiler, however, will be Denver’s prime target, and you should expect him to be re-signed by John Elway. The Broncos GM is convinced Osweiler can be a star." - Peter King

Then he decides to sign with Houston.

"With the exception of Brock Osweiler (and I’m not convinced that Elway is broken up that he missed out on paying Osweiler $16-18 million a year), Elway hasn’t lost a very big player yet who he wanted to keep." - The very same Peter King

Man, that Elway guy is such a brilliant GM! He's got his quarterback of the future to carry the torch after Manning retires!

Until said quarterback chose to go elsewhere.

Eh, he wasn't that good anyways. Elway is so lucky and smart! He sure dodged a bullet on that one!

Whatever. I hope he turns out to be a great QB here and time will tell on that, but the salt and silliness from Denver fans and the media is adorable.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#3 » by texasholdem » Sat May 21, 2016 3:11 am

RaoulDuke79 wrote:, but the salt and silliness from Denver fans and the media is adorable.

I'm sure Texans fans did the same with Kubiak, Owen Daniels, Wade Philips, Antonio Smith, Rick Dennison, Shioh Keo, etc
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#4 » by Mr. E » Sat May 21, 2016 4:19 am

texasholdem wrote:
RaoulDuke79 wrote:, but the salt and silliness from Denver fans and the media is adorable.

I'm sure Texans fans did the same with Kubiak, Owen Daniels, Wade Philips, Antonio Smith, Rick Dennison, Shioh Keo, etc

Actually, no. I haven't seen anything comparable with the names you listed.

Kubiak left and it was pretty much out of sight, out of mind. A lot of us were thrilled to see him achieve what he did because he is a good dude by all accounts.

Owen Daniels was a player moving on to a different situation. I don't recall people going after him and trying to bash his reputation.

Wade Philips was and will always be a badass. I can't imagine any Texans fan begrudging him success elsewhere.

Rick Dennison was an assistant coach here, and I don't think that anyone around here has ever cheered for him to fail in his post-Texans career.

Shiloh Keo didn't work out to the best here; but he was not a hugely controversial figure upon his departure.

We are not talking about players or coaches who leave or move on. This is a discussion about THE guy, the QB who left one team when that team thought he was their future and now it seems that team and it's supporters are trying to trash the guy.

There does seem to be a high level of saltiness over Brock Osweiler leaving the Broncos. Far higher than you'd expect for a guy whom they now say that they did not want ($30M guaranteed).
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#5 » by texasholdem » Sat May 21, 2016 8:42 am

Well I heard a lot of Anti-Kubiak stuff when he was let go, it's quiet now that he won a super bowl. Same thing with Jacoby Jones. Hell, Andre Johnson is the GTOAT and lots of Texans fans trashed him for going to Indy. My point is I don't think it's specific to Denver fans only.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#6 » by Nebula1 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:24 pm

The whole world gushes over JJ. I don't think there is any real negative sentiment towards the Texans.

I'd like to see 11-5 this year.
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#7 » by zapatasblood » Mon May 23, 2016 6:59 pm

For the most part I just think it is ESPNs long time love affair with Elway drive this narrative.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once

Return to Houston Rockets