ImageImage

Uncofirmed! Panathinaikos offered Scola 3/26mil euro.

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

jove9
Starter
And1: 159

Re: Uncofirmed! Panathinaikos offered Scola 3/26mil euro. 

Post#21 » by jove9 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:01 pm

A.J. wrote:
McGrady2Head wrote:that would be the 2nd worst thing to ever happen to the rockets. the 1st being battier for rudy gay

Not actually. The 1st is not getting past the 1st round.

The first is losing in the NBA Finals in '81. The second is losing the title again to the Celtics in '86. The third is John Stockton hitting that 3 in game 6 of the '97 Conference Finals.

The Battier trade isn't even on the radar. People have already mentioned a million times before that the trade was Battier for the pick and Swift. If we kept the pick, we would have drafted Sefolosha. We never would have picked Gay on our own.
moofs
General Manager
And1: 537
Location: "if the warriors win the title this season ill tattoo their logo in my di ck" -- 000001

Post#22 » by moofs » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:52 pm

I'm wondering how many times that fact needs to be pointed out before they get it. We can't be sitting at less than 14,000 right now.
Morey 2020.

Q:How are they experts when they're always wrong?
A:Ask a stock market analyst or your financial advisor
BaYBaller
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#23 » by BaYBaller » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:48 pm

jove9 wrote:
A.J. wrote:
McGrady2Head wrote:that would be the 2nd worst thing to ever happen to the rockets. the 1st being battier for rudy gay

Not actually. The 1st is not getting past the 1st round.

The first is losing in the NBA Finals in '81. The second is losing the title again to the Celtics in '86. The third is John Stockton hitting that 3 in game 6 of the '97 Conference Finals.

The Battier trade isn't even on the radar. People have already mentioned a million times before that the trade was Battier for the pick and Swift. If we kept the pick, we would have drafted Sefolosha. We never would have picked Gay on our own.

I've never heard that being said by Rockets management definitively. Not that it matters because we had a chance to acquire Gay. How Rockets management screwed that up is irrelevant.

I mean if you go back to the huge draft thread back then people on this board knew Gay and what the risk and rewards were. He wasn't a surprise. The board was virtually unanimous in that if one of the top talents in that draft fell to #8, Gay being one of those top talents, that the Rockets should select him. I, like many others on this board, was ecstatic when he did fall, and by that same token horrified when news came in he was being traded for Battier. At the time the trade wasn't that bad because they were able to dump Stromile's contract, but in hindsight there is absolutely no arguement that the Rockets lost out big time on that trade. None.

Back on topic though even if the offer is true I don't think Scola has a way to get out of his contract without management approval. But what exactly happened with Navarro? That's a big loss for the Grizz he was a solid player.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#24 » by texasholdem » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:12 pm

Would be somewhat ironic to lose Scola to Spanoulis' team since we traded Vspan to get him.

We should have kept Darrell Arthur instead of Donte Green
Roxflynorth
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#25 » by Roxflynorth » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:52 am

This one is originated by hoopsworld.com and I don't believe anything is written on that press. Logically, if you were Panathinaikos, you were trying to pry a player away who is paying 3 millions per year. Would you pay him almost $15 millions per year? (as exchange rate, 26/3 euro = 14.44 usd/yr) This $15 millions does not include the buy-out fee. Think twice and you will know it's fake.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#26 » by MaxRider » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:20 am

hoopsworld? wtf?
stop posting hw's crap
15M/year?
they might as well throw that money at Baron Davis or Elton Brand or maybe even Stephon Marbury
Ribalding
Analyst
And1: 17

Post#27 » by Ribalding » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:16 am

MaxRider wrote:hoopsworld? wtf?
stop posting hw's crap
15M/year?
they might as well throw that money at Baron Davis or Elton Brand or maybe even Stephon Marbury

At least Steph has already said he WANTS to play over there. Scola, on the other hand, already gave up big dollars to come play HERE. Why is this thread open?

IBTL.

P.S. My new/first sig : "It's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - G. Carlin
GMF
Senior
And1: 9

Post#28 » by GMF » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:07 am

:roll:
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#29 » by MaxRider » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:52 am

**** Scola
trade him and Battier to Sacramento for Artest
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#30 » by Lakers_4_Life » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:22 am

Actually this does not originate with Hoopsworld at all. Reported in Greece Panathinaikos did offer him 3 years 22 million euros. He and his agent accepted it. They asked the Rockets to let him from his contract and they refused. That's pretty much the end of it.

However Panathinaikos did keep trying. They upped it to 3 years 26 million euros plus paying his entire remaining salary in the NBA to the Rockets. Still Houston would not let him from the contract. Finally they offered him 3 years and 30 million euros, about $16 million a year.

But even at 3 years about $48 million it will not happen because even though Scola and his agent wanted to take it the Rockets refused to let him from his contract. The only way it could happen was if Scola pulled a Spanoulis and claimed he would not come back and threatened to sit out. That's why Panathinaikos upped the offer a couple times to try to make him and the agent do that. But basically it was reported Scola ultimately decided he didn't want that reputation. Anyway, it basically means the Rockets will have a hard time to re-sign him once his contract is up since offers like that from Europe will be out there.
KB #24 = NBA's #1
Lakers Fan 4 Life
ShaY
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by ShaY » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:17 am

Damnit thats soem crazy offers , I really don't know how true is that.
Lakers 4 Life I am not questioning you , just the reports.
While Scola was a great player in europe he never lead a team to a euroleague championship.
That money is just unreal.
“He didn’t miss?” , “That’s fantastic. That’s tremendous. I wish I could have a day like that. I dream of the day I could go 12-for-12.”-Rafer Alston
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#32 » by Lakers_4_Life » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:39 am

ShaY wrote:Damnit thats soem crazy offers , I really don't know how true is that.
Lakers 4 Life I am not questioning you , just the reports.
While Scola was a great player in europe he never lead a team to a euroleague championship.
That money is just unreal.

Not really. Panathinaikos is owned by two brothers and they each make like 250-300 million euros just from their stock holdings in one bank (about $400-480 million dollars a year.) Plus the Panathinaikos soccer revenues for the club are somewhere around $1 billion a year. They can afford it. The team is just a toy for them, like the Mavs with Cuban or the Blazers with Allen.

Any big European basketball club like Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, CSKA, Efes Pilsen, Fenerbahce, Milano, Dynamo Moscow, TAU, Olympiacos, Panathinaikos, Khimki, UNICS any of those rich clubs could afford those types of contracts easily.

The difference is in the amount of teams willing to give them. That's pretty much just CSKA, Panathinaikos and Olympiacos at the moment although FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, TAU, Khimki, UNICS, Dynamo Moscow all of the big Russian and Spanish clubs are starting to really up their budgets.

It's just a cultural thing why the NBA has paid more than the Euroleague. FC Barcelona spent $262 million last season on salaries for their soccer players. But they have only been allocating about $40 million for their basketball club. Because in Europe soccer is so far above all the other sports. So it's just different than the US where you have 3 major team sports. In Europe there is just one. But some of these rich owners over there want to spend the big money on basketball too.

Panathinaikos and Olympiacos in Greece would spend anything. And the owners of Dynamo Moscow and CSKA no end to what they could spend. Make Paul Allen look poor. It's just a new era where some of the owners now are spending the big money on basketball to try to rival the NBA.
KB #24 = NBA's #1
Lakers Fan 4 Life
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#33 » by A.J. » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:56 am

Good thing we drafted Dorsey. (Just incase Scola left)

Yeah right!
J2DaReala
Ballboy

Post#34 » by J2DaReala » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:38 pm

Hey you can't blame him for leaving for that much for that little time. That is a major payday. I guess his other team would dish out the cash for the buyout to happen. Very unheard of that this type of situation would happen. Let's see what plays out.
moofs
General Manager
And1: 537
Location: "if the warriors win the title this season ill tattoo their logo in my di ck" -- 000001

Post#35 » by moofs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:20 am

Heh, if true, I wonder if that move could possibly have anything to do with our team having "spited" a countryman. : cough :

All the same, and as I said in the other thread, that sort of thing is a bit of a scary proposition considering the lowly valued dollar and that the two leagues have no interleague cap resolution systems in place.
Morey 2020.

Q:How are they experts when they're always wrong?
A:Ask a stock market analyst or your financial advisor
Dinky Bits
Banned User

Post#36 » by Dinky Bits » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:27 am

If Scola leaves, then Morey better hold a press conference where he swears off Euros forever.
dunleavyjr wrote:^^^ in the future when i ask for you folks advice, can you folks POUND HARD ON ME? i feel like you folks did not do so, that was why i didn't take your advice. now i regret.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#37 » by texasholdem » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:26 am

Is Jackie Butler still on the payroll? Not that I want him back, just curious since he was a part of the Scola deal.
ShaY
Sixth Man

Post#38 » by ShaY » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:41 am

Yes he is , so is Justin Reed.
Together they are about 4 million.
“He didn’t miss?” , “That’s fantastic. That’s tremendous. I wish I could have a day like that. I dream of the day I could go 12-for-12.”-Rafer Alston
Vator
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 579

Post#39 » by Vator » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:37 am

texasholdem wrote:Is Jackie Butler still on the payroll? Not that I want him back, just curious since he was a part of the Scola deal.

No he isn't. His contract had a team option on it for this year so he is completely off the books.
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#40 » by Lakers_4_Life » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:41 pm

moofs wrote:Heh, if true, I wonder if that move could possibly have anything to do with our team having "spited" a countryman. : cough :

All the same, and as I said in the other thread, that sort of thing is a bit of a scary proposition considering the lowly valued dollar and that the two leagues have no interleague cap resolution systems in place.

It's true but it won't happen. The Rockets will not release Scola. Panathinaikos tried but they can't get him and their roster is already set basically. They signed Fotsis once the Rockets refused to let Scola out of his deal. People here probably do not know Fotsis but he's a 6-10 very athletic PF (think Rashard Lewis type with better rebounding and shot blocking) and he's probably almost as good as Scola is, more talented certainly just not as productive. All the talent in the world just hasn't done much with it yet. But big time potential himself as he comes into his prime to be the top PF in Europe. So Rockets fans can rest easy on this one until the off season.

If Scola demanded to be let go he would be traded to a team needing cap relief or whatever. But all Scola has to do is wait a year if he wants this deal. Because then he can just be bought out of one year of his deal and that seemed to be the issue from reports that no way Houston would take two years being bought out.

There really is no issue IMO about the big Euro clubs paying this in this case, the issue was the Rockets didn't give Scola a big enough contract. 3 years $9.5 million and he got supposedly a $5 million shoe deal in China. If you low ball a player you can eventually lose him potentially, it's really that simple.
KB #24 = NBA's #1
Lakers Fan 4 Life

Return to Houston Rockets