ImageImageImageImage

Off-Season/OTA/Training Camp Thread

Moderator: theBigLip

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Re: Off-Season/OTA/Training Camp Thread 

Post#21 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:44 am

Icness wrote:Smart move to let Houston go. He was headed for PUP, might never play again. Needed the cap room to sign Ebron, might as well cut losses now.

Current CB depth chart, in order: Slay, Mathis, Bentley, Vaughn, Lawson, Hester, Green, Greenwood, Seisay.

Greenwood has been out with sports hernia surgery, killed his chance to make a strong first impression. Really doubt he makes it. Bigger question is if they keep 6 or 7. I think it's just 6 because Don Carey and Glover Quin can both play CB and the depth at S is solid.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

howz couplin looking at Safety. i read reports saying he looks like a linebacker back there.Also when's you question and answer thing for Bleacher?
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#22 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:23 pm

1. Linebackers coach Bill Sheridan was the linebackers coach for the New York Giants when they won Super Bowl in 2007 where he helped develop Antonio Pierce into a Pro Bowler. He spent the last two seasons in Tampa Bay as the defensive coordinator. He helped the Bucs run defense go from last to first in the NFL in 2012. There he helped develop linebacker Lavonte David and defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. Sheridan’s experience should benefit young linebackers like Kyle Van Noy, Tahir Whitehead and Travis Lewis.

2. Defensive backs/cornerbacks coach Tony Oden comes from the Tampa Bay Bucs where he played a big role last season in the development of rookie Johnthan Banks. He also coached for the Saints and won a Super Bowl ring when the Saints beat the Colts (coached by Jim Caldwell) in Super Bowl XLIV. The Lions have young cornerbacks that need to be brought along.

3. Quarterbacks coach Jim Bob Cooter has worked extensively with Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning. Cooter and Caldwell worked together with the Colts. Cooter is highly respected and the Broncos wanted to keep him. But there he was an offensive assistant so the move to Detroit was a promotion for him. He’s coached in two Super Bowls — Broncos in February and Colts in XLIV, but is still looking for a ring. Obviously he’ll work closely with Matthew Stafford who, like any quarterback, can improve his game.

Back ground on some of our coaches. I'm excited about our LB's
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#23 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:33 pm

Those grades are pretty heavily weighted on not allowing receivers to catch a lot of passes, but what was the Lions’ defensive strategy based on the past four years? Dropping seven men into zone and rushing the passer with four to force opponents to get rid of the ball quickly and not give up big plays. The Lions’ defensive strategy was willing to concede short completions and yardage to avoid giving up big plays and touchdowns.

The Lions’ scheme regularly had the cornerbacks lined up 8-10 yards off the receiver and in zone coverage. The defense is designed to allow underneath completions and the secondary and linebackers rally to make the tackle for a short gain. Opposing offensive coordinators started attacking those tendencies by faking short routes and then going deep when the corners jumped the short route. Once the Lions started getting beat by double moves, the corners were in no man’s land. They couldn’t be aggressive defending the short routes because they had to be mindful of the double moves, and they couldn’t just sit back and allow underneath completions all day. They had no choice but trust their reads and hope for the best, not a scheme conducive to success.

Now, to be clear, I am not saying the Lions’ secondary was a great unit last year or that they will be significantly improved this year. What I am saying is the performance suggests the secondary was limited in their effectiveness due to the scheme the Lions played. This year’s defensive scheme is going to be much different and more aggressive. Whether the Lions have the players to pull that off remains to be seen. Mayhew’s actions this off-season seem to back up my belief that the scheme was limiting the Lions rather than the players. When you look at it through the proper context, it makes it much easier to see why the Lions haven’t panicked about the secondary as much as the fans and many members of the media. Whether he is right or not won’t be determined until the season starts, but at least you can understand his point of view when you have some context.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#24 » by Icness » Mon Aug 4, 2014 11:47 pm

I was at camp Friday and Saturday. Going again Wed. and then to the preseason game vs. Cleveland.

My notes are here: http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/?p=3270 and you can find the first set from there too.

Additional thoughts:
--Mike Williams is not going to make the team and probably not even the practice squad.
--Don Carey is really, really bad
--Don't be too down on Fauria, he's got a real role in the offense
--DeAndre Levy looks great. I'm still worried his '13 was a fluke, but less so now
--The defensive line is friggin' huge and scary. Devin Taylor is a good breakout player candidate.
--Bill Bentley might not make the team, but Cassius Vaughn definitely will
--I cannot properly put into words the level of suck that is Kellen Moore and James Franklin. You wonder how they even started in college.
--Leshoure looks strong and is working a lot on special teams. His head is in the right spot.
--Rodney Austin>>Travis Swanson
--Jimmy Saddler-McQueen>>Caraun Reid
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#25 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 1:53 am

Icness wrote:I was at camp Friday and Saturday. Going again Wed. and then to the preseason game vs. Cleveland.

My notes are here: http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/?p=3270 and you can find the first set from there too.

Additional thoughts:
--Mike Williams is not going to make the team and probably not even the practice squad.
--Don Carey is really, really bad
--Don't be too down on Fauria, he's got a real role in the offense
--DeAndre Levy looks great. I'm still worried his '13 was a fluke, but less so now
--The defensive line is friggin' huge and scary. Devin Taylor is a good breakout player candidate.
--Bill Bentley might not make the team, but Cassius Vaughn definitely will
--I cannot properly put into words the level of suck that is Kellen Moore and James Franklin. You wonder how they even started in college.
--Leshoure looks strong and is working a lot on special teams. His head is in the right spot.
--Rodney Austin>>Travis Swanson
--Jimmy Saddler-McQueen>>Caraun Reid

Awesome Read Jeff, thanks for the update, i've been jonesing for some lion news.

Dissappointed about Reid, i still think he'll turn out once he figures it out. Its sad to hear bentley doesn't look ready meaning we wasted another pick.

They say couplin is teh size of a LB, do you think a transition to LB is in his future?

Also found it interesting Carey did so poorly after reading how every team needs a player like him. Our depth at safety does concern me
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#26 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:59 pm

In an effort to ramp up the kicking competition and better simulate the noise and pressure of game situations, the Detroit Lions had kickers Tavecchio and Nate Freese square off in a gauntlet of a kicking drill, alternating tries from 36, 45, 54, 62 and 67 yards while teammates lined the field screaming on both sides.

“Most of it became white noise, which I appreciate because that means I was focused, but I did hear some Italian stuff about like pizza, pasta, stuff like that,” he said. “But for the most part, I really couldn’t tell you who said it when because I was very, very focused from the distractions.”

Lions practiced under neath the lights. lol, to the pizza comments
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#27 » by Icness » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:03 pm

On Couplin--he's progressed a lot in camp, played well vs. Cleveland too. He's not going to make the team but they'll keep him on practice squad. He's not going to be able to gain much more weight so a move to LB would not seem prudent.

On Reid--he needed a good preseason game and got one. Has been very uneven in camp, makes a play here and there but is largely overwhelmed by power. He should feast on Oakland, their OL depth is wretched.

On the kickers--they've both been very good since the first couple of practices. Freese has a slightly bigger leg but Tavecchio has more control on deeper kicks. Both max out accuracy at about 48 yards. Freese can hit to about 53 at a 50% clip, not sure Tavecchio would hit more than about 33% at that range.

On George Johnson--this guy can play. Will be very tough to cut him but I don't see how he fits unless Jones moves to full-time DT.

On Suh trade rumors--the Lions very strongly believe from the top all the way down that this team can and should win right now. Suh is a huge piece of that belief and they know that. He's not going anywhere. Now if someone wants Fairley for a 3rd round pick, that could develop into something.

On Fairley--he's gained at least 20 pounds from when I saw him in June to when I saw him last week. At least 20.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#28 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:06 am

Icness wrote:On Couplin--he's progressed a lot in camp, played well vs. Cleveland too. He's not going to make the team but they'll keep him on practice squad. He's not going to be able to gain much more weight so a move to LB would not seem prudent.

He seems like one of those players that plays better when the lights come on. Watching some game film, he definitely is good at anticipating where the receivers going to be to make the big hit. I think he definitely has a lot of upside, its just technique?

On Reid--he needed a good preseason game and got one. Has been very uneven in camp, makes a play here and there but is largely overwhelmed by power. He should feast on Oakland, their OL depth is wretched.

I feel like everytime you say this, going back to last season, that our DL ends up sucking. Not that your jinx'ing us but merely we tend to play down to our opponents. i

On the kickers--they've both been very good since the first couple of practices. Freese has a slightly bigger leg but Tavecchio has more control on deeper kicks. Both max out accuracy at about 48 yards. Freese can hit to about 53 at a 50% clip, not sure Tavecchio would hit more than about 33% at that range.

From what i've read, Tavechhio seems like the better kicker underpressure with the longer leg. I wonder if Hanson's down to come out of retirement.

On George Johnson--this guy can play. Will be very tough to cut him but I don't see how he fits unless Jones moves to full-time DT.

I liked what i saw from him, and what i've read. Is he one of those guys that always had potential just couldn't figure it out, or the system. From what i recall , he's been jumping around in prior season's quite a bit.? Also with Fairley's demotion Jones at DT, may make some sense.

On Suh trade rumors--the Lions very strongly believe from the top all the way down that this team can and should win right now. Suh is a huge piece of that belief and they know that. He's not going anywhere. Now if someone wants Fairley for a 3rd round pick, that could develop into something.

On Fairley--he's gained at least 20 pounds from when I saw him in June to when I saw him last week. At least 20.

If fairley continues to be unmotivated, have you heard anything in regards of how we are going to deal with him? i don't think anyone will give us anything of value for suh, and we need him if we are going to win now. i still think he's overrated for how he doesn't get after the QB.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#29 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:05 am

The Raiders announcers just said that the OL is the strongest part of the team.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#30 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:18 am

I think that's the first pass fake i've ever seen stafford actually do
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#31 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:22 am

George wynn with the great special teams play, still early but Leshoure's chances are gettin slimmer
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#32 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:38 am

Staffords feet look really good, he's stepping up in the pocket and making throws he needs too. That fade for a TD, was actually poorly placed, but Duram made a nice catch
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#33 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:04 am

Penalties killing us
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#34 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:41 am

GEORGE WYNN AGAIN!
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#35 » by epheisey » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:23 am

Didn't get to see tonights game. Did Orlovsky look like a backup QB? I see his stats are improved, but it also looks like he took one big loss on a sack. Seems like he panics under pressure...which is exactly what I remember him doing the last time he was here...right out the back of the end zone....

This team finally looks like we're going to have to cut a few decent players, instead of being the team always scooping up the cut players from other teams. Granted, we'll probably pick up a veteran corner when one gets cut unless Florence sticks around.

Also, now that the draft is a few months in the past, and we've seen what Ebron is contributing right now. Was that the right pick? Especially with Houston getting cut?
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#36 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:40 am

epheisey wrote:Didn't get to see tonights game. Did Orlovsky look like a backup QB? I see his stats are improved, but it also looks like he took one big loss on a sack. Seems like he panics under pressure...which is exactly what I remember him doing the last time he was here...right out the back of the end zone....

We definitely need to revisit our back up QB situation. You are correct thta when the pocket closes in on Orlovsky, he panics and makes ill advised throws. Moore has bigger questions, he made a couple nice throws today but also a couple that a better team would have intercepted.

This team finally looks like we're going to have to cut a few decent players, instead of being the team always scooping up the cut players from other teams. Granted, we'll probably pick up a veteran corner when one gets cut unless Florence sticks around.

Our first and 2nd unit look decent, our second until played pretty well against the raiders first unit in the 2nd quarter. Towards the end of the game, the raiders put a couple of their starters back in. The pleasant thing to watch was our first string offense look like a highly potent offense. Stafford looks really good, and the play calling was decent.

Also, now that the draft is a few months in the past, and we've seen what Ebron is contributing right now. Was that the right pick? Especially with Houston getting cut?

Ebron was definitely the right pick for us at #10. They have him moving all over the field , so we definitely got the most bang for our buck. There was no one available at #10 that was worth the 10th pick. I think we won't really know until the 6 or 8th game, when he finally settles in.
epheisey
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by epheisey » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:54 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
Ebron was definitely the right pick for us at #10. They have him moving all over the field , so we definitely got the most bang for our buck. There was no one available at #10 that was worth the 10th pick. I think we won't really know until the 6 or 8th game, when he finally settles in.

I agree that it won't be fair to really judge the pick until midway through the season. I just have a hard time accepting a 3rd string TE as the #10 pick. Granted second preseason game is very early, but Fauria has shown some significant improvement IMO. If they can manage to keep all 3 regularly involved in the offense, I'll be happy. It'll be tough though with the amount of receiving options we have. Last year we saw a few looks with two backs on the field, utilizing Reggie Bush and Riddick outside of the backfield, but there's only one ball. I expect as a #10 pick that he be a starter right away, and he's not. Especially when the guys we could have used at corner (Kyle Fuller/Dennard) are looking like immediate contributors. Hindsight is perfect.

Side note. Stafford is really impressing me. I've been both a huge supporter and huge critic over the past few years, but his accuracy is encouraging. Now if we could only get some stickum or something......
IMissBarry
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#38 » by IMissBarry » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:57 am

epheisey wrote:I agree that it won't be fair to really judge the pick until midway through the season. I just have a hard time accepting a 3rd string TE as the #10 pick. Granted second preseason game is very early, but Fauria has shown some significant improvement IMO. If they can manage to keep all 3 regularly involved in the offense, I'll be happy. It'll be tough though with the amount of receiving options we have. Last year we saw a few looks with two backs on the field, utilizing Reggie Bush and Riddick outside of the backfield, but there's only one ball. I expect as a #10 pick that he be a starter right away, and he's not. Especially when the guys we could have used at corner (Kyle Fuller/Dennard) are looking like immediate contributors. Hindsight is perfect.

I think at this point we might as well use him as a WR rather than a TE since that is likely what he is going to amount to. From what I am reading his blocking is lacking and was lacking at the college level too. I dont think he was drafted for that particular skill set though so we might as well line him up as a WR rather than a TE.
epheisey
Bench Warmer

Post#39 » by epheisey » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:52 am

IMissBarry wrote:I think at this point we might as well use him as a WR rather than a TE since that is likely what he is going to amount to. From what I am reading his blocking is lacking and was lacking at the college level too. I dont think he was drafted for that particular skill set though so we might as well line him up as a WR rather than a TE.

If he ends up being drafted to play only WR, then that was an awful pick at #10. He was NOT the 3rd best WR in the draft. He WAS the #1 TE though.

I hope that you're wrong :roll:
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#40 » by Icness » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Had some fun breaking down all of Stafford's throws vs. OAK:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2166 ... st-oakland

One of his TD throws was his worst of the night, lol.

Return to Detroit Lions