Lions sign Tulloch to 5-year deal

Moderator: theBigLip

Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Lions sign Tulloch to 5-year deal 

Post#1 » by Piston Pete » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:08 pm

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/3/20 ... ree-agency

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio is reporting that the Detroit Lions have re-signed linebacker Stephen Tulloch to a five-year deal. The move comes just a day after Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said that the team was having "very productive conversations" with Tulloch about a new deal. I guess they were pretty productive, as Tulloch is now set to be a Lion for the next five seasons.

When Tulloch originally joined the Lions on a one-year deal last summer, the hope was that he would eventually get a long-term contract with the team. The Lions risked losing him this offseason by allowing him to hit the open market, but things have been developing quite slowly for linebackers. This turned out to be good news for the Lions, as Tulloch remained a free agent and didn't hit a payday elsewhere.

In 2011, Tulloch had 111 tackles for the Lions, as well as five pass defenses, two interceptions and one touchdown. He took over the starting middle linebacker job and became an integral part of the defense. The Lions have talked about how important he is for their future plans, and now he is set to be in those future plans by re-signing.

Good re-signing depending on the money....but I liked how Tulloch fit in here last season.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: Lions sign Tulloch to 5-year deal 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Excellent. D-line and LB are totally solid now, aside from some LB depth. Just gotta grab some DBs now
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#3 » by Piston Pete » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:41 am

Lions alo re-signed LB Ashlee Palmer to a 1-year deal.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/3/20 ... ree-agency

Palmer was technically a restricted free agent, but the Lions declined to tender him an offer. They didn't want to pay him the salary associated with one of the RFA tenders, so they essentially let him become an unrestricted free agent. He didn't sign elsewhere, so the Lions were able to bring him back.

Palmer is a solid contributor on special teams and is a good depth linebacker to have. He appeared in all of the Lions' games in 2010 and 2011, and he figures to be on the 53-man roster again this year.

It's not clear if the move to re-sign Palmer will have any effect on the Lions' interest in linebacker Tim Shaw, who is a similar player in terms of being solid depth at linebacker and a contributor on special teams. Shaw visited the Lions on Monday, and although it reportedly went well, not too much has come out so far about if the two sides are talking about making a deal happen.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#4 » by Icness » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:35 am

Very happy to have him back and for the remainder of his functional career. I'd like to see him force more turnovers but having him as a reliable 2nd level vacuum was nice. Keeps Levy on the strong side where he's best. Palmer is a nice little re-signing too.

I'm hoping we see more out of Doug Hogue this year, and hoping even more it's because he earned it and not injury desperation.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#5 » by Lionlifer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:45 pm

Happy to have him back, now we just need some secondary help and our defense will be sitting pretty.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#6 » by DocRI » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:02 am

Any word on the terms yet? I'm thrilled to have him back no matter what, but I'll be REALLY thrilled the better the price tag! I saw someone on the MLive forums claimed it was $4.5M a year, but there was no link or anything to back that up ... so I think I want a hit of whatever he's smoking ...
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#7 » by DocRI » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:32 am

Multiple sites (ESPN, MLive, WalterFootball) are reporting it's 5 years, $25M, $11M guaranteed.

May I just say, HELL YEAH!!!!!

That is all; you may now enjoy the rest of your evening.

Return to Detroit Lions