RE: Getting Greedy

Moderator: theBigLip

DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

RE: Getting Greedy 

Post#1 » by DocRI » Sat Apr 7, 2012 3:24 am

Hey all.

Being a Lions fans who lives in New England, I get a lot of Patriots coverage. And I can say, with decent certainty, that the Pats (i.e. Belichick) would entertain trading one of their first round picks; after all, they ALWAYS seem willing to trade back if it nets them a future pick (thereby keeping more players on rookie contracts on their roster year after year). You only have to look back to last year for the model, where the Pats traded the Saints their extra 1st rounder for a 2nd and a future 1st.

So, here's the big question — say the Lions could land a tackle like Jonathan Martin at #23, and one of Gillmore or Jenkins is still on the board when the Pats hit the clock at #27. Do you trade our 2nd rounder this year and next year's first to move back up? Mayhew's proven to be a willing dealer on draft day, but we've yet to see him trade a future first; that said, getting both a first round OT and CB might set us up as a Super Bowl contender for years to come, meaning we'd be giving up one very late first rounder to address our two biggest needs at once and set ourselves up for a long run.

What do you guys think (particularly Jeff, if you'd be so kind to respond)? Am I just being greedy, or does this seem like a viable strategy if the boards fall right on draft night?
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: RE: Getting Greedy 

Post#2 » by TSE » Sat Apr 7, 2012 5:42 pm

I don't know about greedy, that sounds like being charitable and giving the Patriots a gift. I wouldn't trade our next year's first rounder without the 2nd rounder for the Pats first rounder this year. But I do think that the key to Super Bowls to come is a path that can best be unlocked by trading in general. We are just a few easy steps away from dominance.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 137

Post#3 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:17 am

I Like Tom Brady former Michigan Man,Too bad you live in New England I though you live in Michigan.
One time i lived in Myrtle Beach S.C and Bradenton .Fl....... but I was alway a lions fan.

The lions need Defence but knowing the lions if their is a good WR,RB they may take that chance and grab an offensive Impact person i do not see them taking an Offensive Lineman in the first round.

Now everyone will think i am crazy but lets wait to see who they draft, i could be right.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#4 » by Piston Pete » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:58 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:I Like Tom Brady former Michigan Man,Too bad you live in New England I though you live in Michigan.
One time i lived in Myrtle Beach S.C and Bradington .Fl....... but I was alway a lions fan.

The lions need Defence but knowing the lions if their is a good WR,RB they may take that chance and grab an offensive Impact person i do not see them taking an Offensive Lineman in the first round.

Now everyone will think i am crazy but lets wait to see who they draft, i could be right.

Where is Bradington, FL?
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 137

Post#5 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:09 am

South of Tampa

http://4.maptile.lbs.ovi.com/maptiler/v ... 4RfxVo0Z4B

NFL draft: Former exec predicts which RB, WR Lions will target

http://www.freep.com/article/C4/2012041 ... d|mostview

Return to Detroit Lions