And1: 4,819

Re: Pre-Season and Training Camp 

Post#21 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:01 am

Icness wrote:My Jets thoughts:
http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/0 ... ets-notes/

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/0 ... dbs-fared/

The first link is right after the game, focused on the 1st half
The second link is a pretty extensive breakdown of every secondary member

I was really discouraged by the lousy LB play overall and in coverage in particular.
Liked the increased blitzing, esp. against a skittish QB and a truly awful offensive line outside of Mangold & D'Brick. Peterman would not be the 5th guard in Detroit and he's the best they've got.

Good sh* ICE, i'm hoping Bentley bounces back. i'm sad that Green and Greenwood aren't getting any play. is there a update to when we can see them on the field?

Also looked like Fairley and Suh were causing havoc up front. I also don't see any sort of amazing athleticism or speed from our LB's which i find concerning.

Also every report i read says that Slay had a quite night, which i would assume indicates QB's wanted to stay away from him
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#22 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:51 pm

• Two defensive backs had some fun with Nate Burleson after breaking up passes intended for the receiver in one-on-one drills. On the first, Burleson got separation on Jonte Green, but the corner managed to get his hands up and deflect the pass. As they trotted back to the group, Burleson said, "You know I won that, right?" to which Green responded, "I didn't see you catch the ball."

On the next rep, Tyrell Johnson knocked a throw away from Burleson. The safety went and retrieved the ball, then pretended to autograph it before handing it to the veteran receiver.

Burleson gets competitive on the practice field, and playfully taunts the defense when he makes a play, so those defensive backs were just giving him a taste of his own medicine today.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#23 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:30 pm

No Calvin today, going to see if stafford can find another WR with his passes
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#24 » by Piston Pete » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:No Calvin today, going to see if stafford can find another WR with his passes

Stafford looked lost last night.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#25 » by ajaX82 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:26 am

Mike Thomas released. Good thing we gave up a fifth for him!
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#26 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:14 am

ajaX82 wrote:Mike Thomas released. Good thing we gave up a fifth for him!

Hindsight is 20/20, we were depleted with injuries last year, we had to make a move, a 5th round pick isn't going to make or break the team, its too bad though
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#27 » by Piston Pete » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:05 am

In hindsight, we should have just signed a FA off the street versus giving up a future asset for Thomas. How many catches did he even get last season? More than 10?
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by ajaX82 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:14 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:

Hindsight is 20/20, we were depleted with injuries last year, we had to make a move, a 5th round pick isn't going to make or break the team, its too bad though

I'm not really sure it's hindsight. It was a questionable trade then and obviously did not pan out. I don't recall anyone liking the trade much (I looked back and couldn't find where we discussed it though). Also, Sefiert calls it quite an expensive move for us:

How do we know that? According to ESPN's Roster Management System, Thomas' contract called for $1 million of his base salary this season to be guaranteed against injury only. But on April 5, that became a full guarantee -- for injury and skill -- and thus the Lions could be on the hook for paying him $1 million this year even though he won't be on their roster. He would count the same amount against their salary cap.

According to the information available to me, there is no offset language in Thomas' contract that would relieve the Lions' burden if and when he signs with another team. But if there is in fact an offset, the Lions would owe Thomas the difference between $1 million and his new base salary.

Even if that's the case, and Thomas signs a veteran minimum deal worth $715,000, leaving the Lions to pay $285,000, that's still a significant amount of money and cap space for a player whom the Lions got almost nothing out of.

I mean I know a fifth is hardly a make or break thing but owing money to him and losing a pick for virtually no production is a classic Lions move.

Piston Pete wrote:In hindsight, we should have just signed a FA off the street versus giving up a future asset for Thomas. How many catches did he even get last season? More than 10?

He caught a whopping 5

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ey-failure
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#29 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:31 am

ajaX82 wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

I'm not really sure it's hindsight. It was a questionable trade then and obviously did not pan out. I don't recall anyone liking the trade much (I looked back and couldn't find where we discussed it though). Also, Sefiert calls it quite an expensive move for us:

How do we know that? According to ESPN's Roster Management System, Thomas' contract called for $1 million of his base salary this season to be guaranteed against injury only. But on April 5, that became a full guarantee -- for injury and skill -- and thus the Lions could be on the hook for paying him $1 million this year even though he won't be on their roster. He would count the same amount against their salary cap.

According to the information available to me, there is no offset language in Thomas' contract that would relieve the Lions' burden if and when he signs with another team. But if there is in fact an offset, the Lions would owe Thomas the difference between $1 million and his new base salary.

Even if that's the case, and Thomas signs a veteran minimum deal worth $715,000, leaving the Lions to pay $285,000, that's still a significant amount of money and cap space for a player whom the Lions got almost nothing out of.

I mean I know a fifth is hardly a make or break thing but owing money to him and losing a pick for virtually no production is a classic Lions move.

Piston Pete wrote:In hindsight, we should have just signed a FA off the street versus giving up a future asset for Thomas. How many catches did he even get last season? More than 10?

He caught a whopping 5

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ey-failure

if i was ford and i read that, my foot be up someones a*
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#30 » by Piston Pete » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:03 pm

Are the Lions concerned about their WR group (outside of CJ, of course)?
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by ajaX82 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:04 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Are the Lions concerned about their WR group (outside of CJ, of course)?

I wouldn't think terribly so. Burleson is solid and Broyles, if healthy (not a guarantee at all but seems to be getting there), is perfect for the slot. Scheff can work out wide and Pettigrew can work the middle when not dropping passes. And you have to remember that Bush is like an extra receiver and will do all sorts of passing game damage. Bell is solid as a receiver too. So all things considered, no, not a huge concern for now.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#32 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:23 pm

Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#33 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Lewis got cut today and seems like

Spievy is next up on the list. he was behind Hope in the depth chart and hope just got cut

Cody Fuller looks like he's too much of a project and hopefully makes the practice squad

Greenwood can't get healthy enough to play, according to DFP, lions are hoping that the lack of game tape on the kid will allow him to hit the practice squad.

Rugland is definitely going to get cut, but i gurantee will be signed by someone within the next week.

i wouldn't be surprised to see Leshoure also cut, he has been down right unimpressive
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by ajaX82 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:10 am

Kellen Moore has won the QB3 job it appears. I think we keep him, hoping he can become primary backup soon-ish. And Akers is definitely the kicker. Bummer, because Ruglands story and leg were very intriguing
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#35 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:35 am

ajaX82 wrote:Kellen Moore has won the QB3 job it appears. I think we keep him, hoping he can become primary backup soon-ish. And Akers is definitely the kicker. Bummer, because Ruglands story and leg were very intriguing

Why Moore, shaun hill is much more capable and experienced. Rugland would have been fun to watch or another story to follow however its been akers job.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#36 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:39 am

We also obtained Chris White in the thaddeaus lewis trade. A play making ILB thats not extremely athletic. depending on if he's a special teams guy will determine if he stays or not
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by ajaX82 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:09 pm

Rugland officially gone today. Menzie as well. More to come I am sure

Edit: WR Terrence Austin the third cut today

Edit 2: and two additional TEs get us to 75: Veldman and Morrah. Need to be at 53 by Saturday at 6. Should be interesting
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#38 » by Piston Pete » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:57 pm

Hearing trade rumblings involving LeShoure and/or Scheffler. We seem to be targeting a decent WR....won't hold my breath for anything major happening, however.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#39 » by Icness » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:34 am

Scheffler has some value and I know teams have called about him. He figures into the Lions plans pretty prominently so I doubt they move him unless overwhelmed by an offer.

Leshoure would bring back a 7th that opts to a conditional 5th, at best.

No real surprises in the cuts today or over the weekend. I'm bummed but realistic about Rugland.

Two names that might not survive the next purge: Idonije and Jake Scott, even though Scott has been far and away the best guard on the team during preseason. Yards per carry with him in the game is more than triple what it is without him.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#40 » by Piston Pete » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:58 am

What about DE Devin Taylor? He struck me as a guy who I thought would be on the bubble of sticking around. Has he impressed the staff more than he has me?

Guys shown to be way down on the depth chart who I don't expect to stick around:

WR Spurlock
LT Haslam
C Keyton or Harris
WR Fuller (practice squad?)
RB Miller
FB Chapas
DT Proctor
DT Bannan
DT Fluellen
S Johnson
CB Greenwood, Green, and/or Mathis
P Clingan

Why are so so high on Bartell? Ithink he's a guy we should consider cutting in favor of one of the youngins. When he plays, he's always getting beat. Otherwise, he seems to always be injured. IMO, we should cut bait and develop the younger guys.

And who do the coaches like better as a cover safety? Spievey or Neloms? One of them could be cut as well.

Return to Detroit Lions