ImageImageImageImage

Extending Suh

Moderator: theBigLip

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Extending Suh 

Post#1 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:33 pm

SuH's in a contract year and currently his cap hit is 22 million +. They are currently discussing possible extensions, my question is should we. His cap hit definitely hinders our ability to sign FA, though restructuring can always be done, but again its still money we have to pay out. Additionally while Suh is 1 of the dominant DT in the league if not the best, is his production translating into play making and wins? Would we be better off letting him walk and signing or drafting a replacement?
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Re: Extending Suh 

Post#2 » by Piston Pete » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:37 pm

$22 million cap hit is crazy! So glad they modified the draft salary scale since then. What's a fair figure for Suh?
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:05 am

Definitely worth extending IMO. Get him locked up
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#4 » by Piston Pete » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:43 pm

I wonder what BJ Raji will get as a free agent this offseason. Suh's better than Raji, but Raji's deal will help at least set the table for Suh's new deal.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#5 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:42 pm

Succeeding in the NFL is all about maximizing value. Look at all the big money the Lions have invested in Suh and Calvin. How many winning seasons has that produced? How many playoff victories? My point is that with the money invested in Suh, they could get a couple quality free agents to fill holes plus additional draft picks. The Lions couldn't fair any worse than that scenario than they have with maximum dollars invested in a DT and a WR

Drew Sharp
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#6 » by Piston Pete » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:57 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
Succeeding in the NFL is all about maximizing value. Look at all the big money the Lions have invested in Suh and Calvin. How many winning seasons has that produced? How many playoff victories? My point is that with the money invested in Suh, they could get a couple quality free agents to fill holes plus additional draft picks. The Lions couldn't fair any worse than that scenario than they have with maximum dollars invested in a DT and a WR

Drew Sharp

A lot of truth in what he said....but the draft picks have to be hits and not Titus Young-esque misses. Same goes for the less expensive but still decent free agent replacements.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#7 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

Drew Sharp

A lot of truth in what he said....but the draft picks have to be hits and not Titus Young-esque misses. Same goes for the less expensive but still decent free agent replacements.

That's on the front office, our recent history suggest we are capable. While its easier to get around the cap in the NFL, spending that much money on one player is ridiculous. We should maximize the value of Suh and become a better more talented overall team. Whatever we pay suh in the next contract, there's no way his play could ever live up to his salary
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,162

Post#8 » by ElectricMayhem » Sun Mar 8, 2015 11:48 pm

He was huge at creating openings for the rest of the defense - we're going to look a lot different without him. Still, it's hard to be sorry to see a guy like him go. He was simultaneously selfish and selfless on the field. You knew he had no ties to the city and it was going to come down to a purely financial decision. There's nothing wrong with that, though...He realizes it's a business and if he's going to risk his body and well-being playing the sport he's got every right to earn every last dollar.

Fare thee well, Suh. Just don't stomp on our quarterback.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#9 » by Icness » Mon Mar 9, 2015 3:01 pm

ElectricMayhem wrote:He was huge at creating openings for the rest of the defense - we're going to look a lot different without him. Still, it's hard to be sorry to see a guy like him go. He was simultaneously selfish and selfless on the field. You knew he had no ties to the city and it was going to come down to a purely financial decision. There's nothing wrong with that, though...He realizes it's a business and if he's going to risk his body and well-being playing the sport he's got every right to earn every last dollar.

Good post.

I wrote about Suh this morning: http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/?p=3739
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#10 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 am

Icness wrote:
ElectricMayhem wrote:He was huge at creating openings for the rest of the defense - we're going to look a lot different without him. Still, it's hard to be sorry to see a guy like him go. He was simultaneously selfish and selfless on the field. You knew he had no ties to the city and it was going to come down to a purely financial decision. There's nothing wrong with that, though...He realizes it's a business and if he's going to risk his body and well-being playing the sport he's got every right to earn every last dollar.

Good post.

I wrote about Suh this morning: http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/?p=3739

awesome article jeff, and totally agree. i don't think he's the same impact player as JJ watt, and i think we can definitely mitigate his loss upfront by shoring up multiple defensive positions with the money we didn't spend.

Any word on favorites?

Langford, Pea , Williams are top of my list
hope fairly returns
hope we go after a CB or OL

Return to Detroit Lions