RealGM
And1: 4,819

OFFICIAL PRESEASON THREAD 

Post#1 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:51 am

GAME 1

LIONS VS BROWNS

My thoughts

Offense:
i think Orlovsky is fine as a back up and as much grief as all our beat writers give Moore, he looked impressive. The throw down the left side for the TD was on the money. Our offense personnel this season seems pretty deep with talent. Peakcok was impressive really quick and has a knack for getting open. George Wynn looked really impressive in space, and Leshoure had a couple nice breaks as well. Ryan Broyles is still a good player. Fuller looks a little bulkier than i remember and had a nice catch in the end zone. Stafford also looked good, he had 1 pass that i thought was Def. PI to durham, that was under pressure but calm and collected. His first throw was on the money. Overall i liked his poise and the fact his feet were set. Ebron had a nice 6-7 yard catch that was mis-thrown but he reached out and grab it. Orlovsky also tried to hit him down the left side, which i think Ebron could have got if it wasn so far out in front of him. I think if stafford threw that Ebron would have had a good shot at catching it. Overall i never felt the browns could stop us, it was a matter of us stopping ourselves

Defense:
As much hype as our DL got in training camp from our beat writers, i was not impressed. Jason Jones seemed to be consistently causing havoc, Caraun Reids name was mentioned a couple times, and webster made a nice play but could have made more if he taken better angles. idk how many snaps suh and fairley played, but barely noticed them. Tullouch looks a little heavy to me, Levy is horrible at blitzing, and didn't really notice palmer or van noy. Browns got a ton of yards on the ground. Our secondary did okay. Vaughn made a nice play on Gordon in the endzone, Slay was decent but by no means a shut down corner. I noticed Greenwood was back on the team. Our secondary should have had 1-2 more picks, however the db's dropped the ball, we definitely need to catch those. We let up too many running plays, failed to snuff out screens and made poor angles on the tackle. We can't let a team get a first down from a 3rd and 16, especially when the tackleS could have been made 10 yards back. OVerall the feeling i got, is we should have drafted a corner. Funny part is , that our d didn't let up a touchdown , so maybe its just me.

Special Teams:
I think our ST is severly underrated, i genuinely feel that our ST is a threat at any kickoff or punt to take it back for 7. Never really felt that in past recent years. Ross however didn't look as explosive as when i first saw him, however hes still very quick. Our kickers did not impress, while they made all their FG's, there were a couple that barely made it through. Martin had a booming first punt , followed by a 38 yarder, idk if it was him a error on placement, but it seems martin struggles when the lights come on.

Browns Announcers:

The feed i was watching the game in had the browns announcers, it was absolutely disgusting how they pretty much blew Jhonny the entire game even when he was out. Every single thing that happened it was "jhonny's so smart", "That receiver needs to catch that", "what poise from a rookie qb". Even when he was no longer in the game, the announcers were talking about his build and blah blah blah. someone needs to gives the browns a heads up that their nfl announcers want jhonnys seed.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Re: OFFICIAL PRESEASON THREAD 

Post#2 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:29 pm

i retract what i said about Van Noy, i thought it was webster that made those plays,

"His defensive counterpart in anticipation, second-round pick Kyle Van Noy, played 20 snaps and mostly with the second unit. That might have been more challenging, though, as the linebacker spent a lot of his time chasing around the mobile Johnny Manziel.

It appeared he had Manziel wrapped in the backfield on one play, but the rookie quarterback eluded his dive and ran for positive yards. On another play, it appeared Van Noy forced a fumble but it was ruled he did not. He ended up with no tackles but a pass defended.

“I just tried to make a play on the ball,” Van Noy said. “I read the back coming out and tried to make a play. Coach (Teryl Austin) called a great call right there for me."
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Re: OFFICIAL PRESEASON THREAD 

Post#3 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:43 pm

On paper, the Lions are very deep at the tight end position, and if Saturday is any indication, they are going to use that to their advantage. On this play, they had Brandon Pettigrew lined up as the slot receiver and Joseph Fauria out wide. The key to all of the mixing and matching is creating mismatches. The hope is to have a towering tight end in coverage against a short cornerback, or to have a speedy tight end matched opposite a trudging linebacker. As Eric Ebron climbs up the depth chart, he'll be added to the mix and give the Lions another dimension.

The 4-3 under formation is typified by adding a linebacker to the strong side of the line, while sliding the defensive end and defensive tackle further in towards the ball. In other words, no wide-nine from the defensive end on the strong side of the line, while adding a linebacker to the defensive line (who is actually lined up in the nine-technique). This is a significant change because Kyle Van Noy fits the role of the strongside linebacker (Sam) perfectly here. The role of the Sam linebacker is to help rush the passer, prevent any plays from swinging out wide and occasionally drop in shallow coverage, all things that Van Noy excels at. In fact, later in the game, Van Noy was put in this exact position. Get used to that, because you'll see Van Noy there a lot this season. (For more information on the 4-3 under, check out these links.)

The other tweak of the defense was the return of the strong safety. During the Gunther Cunningham years, the Lions didn't really differentiate between safeties too much, preferring both to play deep the majority of the game. However, things will clearly be different under new defensive coordinator Teryl Austin.Here we see James Ihedigbo down inside the box, closer to the line than the linebackers. This will not be an uncommon sight, as Ihedigbo plays much better the closer he is to the line of scrimmage. This will increase the burden on Glover Quin and his coverage abilities, but that happens to be his strong suit, as well.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/8/10 ... se-defense

Good Read

Return to Detroit Lions