Week 2: Lions @ Panthers Game Thread

Moderator: theBigLip

epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Week 2: Lions @ Panthers Game Thread 

Post#1 » by epheisey » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:20 pm

A little late going up, but it's here.

Should be a good game, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

Lions have some issues at RT and we'll see how the secondary holds up.

I'm predicting a Lions loss. 31-24 Panthers.

And Nate Freese needs to go...this is getting bad.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
epheisey
Bench Warmer

Re: Week 2: Lions @ Panthers Game Thread 

Post#2 » by epheisey » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:54 pm

I turned the game off. This is really just the same old Lions.

Defensive backs playing off receivers, not contesting any passes, except when they're taking penalties. Part of the problem is we have no corners healthy. Slay went out early before coming back. Lawson left and didn't come back. The depth is just plain awful in the secondary because of injuries. I hate to judge a draft based on injuries, but they screwed up bad this year. Ebron is our 3rd TE. We had way too many offensive weapons to justify selecting him at 10, when there are way more pressing needs on this team. We have 3 starter quality defensive backs right now.

No one can hold on to the ball. Calvin being the best in the game drops far too many. Joique Bell fumbled 2, but got lucky with the first being ruled an incompletion. Ross fumbled his return which pretty much ended the game.

The offensive line looked awful, and Greg Hardy didn't even play for Carolina. They could give stafford time to find a guy, and the run game was non-existent.

Our kicker will probably be cut. Should be cut. He's missed 3 of 5 in 2 games, all of which should be automatic for an NFL kicker. I'd give him 1 miss just because he's a rookie, but this is bad.

Stafford quickly reverted to his old self. It was very evident at the end of the first half, and on the pick he threw trying to make a big play to Calvin in the second half. I was so excited after what I saw last week, but clearly under pressure he can't sustain it.

I'm at a loss. This team rips my heart out year after year. We could have done this exact same thing with Schwartz and co.

epheisey
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by epheisey » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:10 pm

Lawson is gone for a while. Dislocated his foot today and need surgery. For as much as they have preached "win now", they aren't showing it with their approach to managing the roster, and particularly the secondary. They desperately need to bring in a player or two at this point that are capable of spot starts if necessary.

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#4 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:13 am

epheisey wrote:Lawson is gone for a while. Dislocated his foot today and need surgery. For as much as they have preached "win now", they aren't showing it with their approach to managing the roster, and particularly the secondary. They desperately need to bring in a player or two at this point that are capable of spot starts if necessary.

i didn't get to see the game due the fact i was sick and that it plays at 3am my local time. From what i've read

1.) Stafford looked good early, poor late. The bad news is that Stafford turned the ball over when we needed him to lead us down the field. He had plenty of protection, theres no reason that ball should have been intercepted. The good news is that the ball thrown wasn't a poor throw choice but rather a poor throw, CJ was actually open, stafford just missed him. If Freese makes both FG and CJ catches that other TD, this game looks completely different. Its just that Stafford gets all the blame, but lets keep in mind that its only week 2 and everything is still new. Put it this way, Eli and Stafford both are entering new Offenses, look at where eli is and where stafford is in terms of running the offense. LEAPS AND BOUNDS

2.) RB: Reggie Bush has career games against Car. I don't understand why he got such few touches. Bell needs to hold onto the ball, be interesting to see if bell fumbles the ball once again what we'll do

3.) RT: We have a big problem here, but i don't think as big as we think. We have skill at that position its a matter of building chemistry with new personel. I'll wait for another week before making judgement. i believe 4 sacks cam from that side, need to clean that up

4.) Secondary issues- i am going to start another thread on this

5.) Kicker-- i wouldn't panic yet, we need to bring another kicker in though to light a fire under him. Its definitely a problem, but not the entiere reason we lost. With this offense, he should be kicking more PA in stead of FG
epheisey
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by epheisey » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:39 am

You're correct that Calvin was open. I just didn't like them trying to hit a home run so early in the possession when they weren't even down by much at the time (13-7). But at the same time, this offense is built to make the big play here and there, so I can't be upset at much aside from the lack of execution. Which was supposed to be improved upon with the new offensive coordinator and qb coach.

I think the missed FGs are a much bigger issue than anything else though. It gets into the head of not only Freese, but also the offense. Players feel the need to press and put the ball in the end zone because that's the only way to guarantee that they put points on the board. So now instead of working down the field and settling for a FG if the play isn't available, they try to create something even if it's not there.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#6 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:52 am

epheisey wrote:You're correct that Calvin was open. I just didn't like them trying to hit a home run so early in the possession when they weren't even down by much at the time (13-7). But at the same time, this offense is built to make the big play here and there, so I can't be upset at much aside from the lack of execution. Which was supposed to be improved upon with the new offensive coordinator and qb coach.

I think the missed FGs are a much bigger issue than anything else though. It gets into the head of not only Freese, but also the offense. Players feel the need to press and put the ball in the end zone because that's the only way to guarantee that they put points on the board. So now instead of working down the field and settling for a FG if the play isn't available, they try to create something even if it's not there.

i get what your saying and knowing how our QB is you very well might have a point. Honestly if we don't turn the ball over, except for that interception, this is a whole different game.So i guess we can say its a number of things or THAT'S LIONS FOOTBALL.

Undefeated against ourselves
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#7 » by Manocad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:37 pm

Looks like another year, another SOL. Moments of good that are guaranteed to be accompanied by garbage.

Return to Detroit Lions