ImageImageImageImage

2014 Season Thread

Moderator: theBigLip

epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#41 » by epheisey » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:48 pm

It would appear as though the Lions are being exposed.

And on defense of all things.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#42 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Starting off slow, this is wear we need our offense to at least keep us in the game and help pick up our defense
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

2014 Season Thread 

Post#43 » by epheisey » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:55 pm

I will say it again. Lombardi is not a good coordinator.

His play calling is incredibly predictable through the first 55 minutes of the game. They force the run way too much, especially right after a successful run. It's almost like they see a big run and immediately think "ooh that worked, let's do it again!" Same thing with the reverse/fake with Tate. Doing the same thing twice in a row is like something you do in Madden, not the NFL. Running the ball with Riddick in between the tackles on short yardage is just stupid. Going to a back 4 plays in a row is also dumb. This offense should be dynamic, keeping the defense guessing, instead it's not even difficult for me to guess what's going to happen and I don't have pages of detailed info in front of me like opposing coaches do. I don't think I've seen a screen play in a few weeks, I rarely see play action plays after a good run.

I thought Austin was going to be the coordinator that was a question mark, but he's on the fast track to being a head coach. This coaching hire was specifically for our offense and to help Stafford. They have done nothing in that regard. With the schedule this team has over the remaining weeks, I would honestly not be surprised to see this team crumble and not make the playoffs. Again.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#44 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Only caught the 2nd half of the game but looks like we had a slow start. I've watched the past 2 games but the NE game was so depressing i wanted to forget it.

One thing i am noticing is that Stafford is looking more comfortable in the pocket. These past 2 games, he's made plays with his feet and has been incredibly accurate(The receivers dropped at lesat 10 passes last week). This week in the 2nd half at least he was on point for majority of his passes and even alluded a W. Young rush with a nifty move.

Bell looks good, our Rushing attack is not impressive, but i like what Bell brings. Swanson is a beast in the run

Ansah continues to progress, that boy is a absolute beast. There's a article on the SUH -Ansah formation, where Austin has Suh and Ansah runnings stunts, and they interchange positions pre snap. As i was watching the game, i noted the formation, and let me tell you at the snap, you could almost hear the oline panicking.

Most important of all, our offense looked back on track, and we beat a team we are suppose to. Next 3 games are against losing teams. I think we dominatate TB next week
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#45 » by Manocad » Mon Dec 8, 2014 5:50 pm

This team is getting close to being a really good team. If they can get rid of the stupid mistakes they'll be in pretty good shape. The problem moving forward is that the Green Bays and New Englands don't make those mistakes. You slip up against those teams and you're done.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#46 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Dec 9, 2014 12:39 am

Manocad wrote:This team is getting close to being a really good team. If they can get rid of the stupid mistakes they'll be in pretty good shape. The problem moving forward is that the Green Bays and New Englands don't make those mistakes. You slip up against those teams and you're done.

The only thing that has changed is the offense is actually scoring. Now teams are playing from behind trying to catch up against our stingy defense. Stafford looks to be grasping the scheme better, we are healthy, our OL is giving him time and he's stepping up in the pocket like he should. His pocket presence is probably the biggest factor in his improvement. I also noticed he's throwing the ball a lot harder, prior to this explosion a lot of Staffords throws would look like he's just flinging it out there(granted even when Staffrod flings its a rocket). These past 2 weeks, Stafford looks like he's competely getting behind his throws and throwing darts
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#47 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:46 pm

On what he means by saying Cooter is hard on Stafford: "Listen, no quarterback is perfect and there are times where you're watching film and you go, ‘Hey, he knows this. I don't have to point it out or belabor the point.' Jim Bob never lets any of those things go. He's always pointing out everything that he needs to do better."

On the biggest impact Cooter has made to Stafford's game: "I don't know if I could pick one. They're tireless in the amount of footwork drills that they do. Listen, I think they did a good job coaching him here in the past so this is certainly not talking about anything that's happened here before. But, just the consistency and the routine in what they do. The way that we install the offense, how detailed he is, how he holds him to the details and just keeps reviewing so that by game time it's all second nature. So, I think that position is about having a routine and a thoroughness to what you're doing and every week kind of doing it the same way at the same time, watch your cut-ups kind of in the same order, ‘Here's what I do,' and you kind of have a checklist. So, he's gotten him in a really good routine."

On what one thing has helped pick up the offense the last couple weeks: "Listen, I wish it were one thing because it'd be easy to keep doing it. But, it's probably us coaching better, us game planning better, it's probably calling better plays, players blocking better, catching better and throwing better. It's an overall effort, you know? It's that whole thing about, at 211 degrees water does nothing and at 212 it boils. Little changes can make big differences and I think it's just been every position, every coach just doing a little bit better. It's just such a fine line between scoring nine points and scoring 28 points. It's that one first down that you might have got that kept a drive alive or it's the one third down conversion you had, or the one guy that caught it instead of dropping it. There's just so many factors that go into it, so I think it's just everybody doing a little bit better."

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/12/1 ... s-thursday

Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#48 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:29 pm

Green Bay lost today, we need this win
Manocad
RealGM

Post#49 » by Manocad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Not the prettiest game against the Vikings but a crucial win since the Pack went down. Could this be the year the Lions win in Green Bay? I think they're capable.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#50 » by ElectricMayhem » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:25 am

PLAYOFFS! (Seriously, there HAS to still be a way we can be eliminated from making the playoffs, doesn't there? I mean, we're the Lions...)
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#51 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:05 am

Manocad wrote:Not the prettiest game against the Vikings but a crucial win since the Pack went down. Could this be the year the Lions win in Green Bay? I think they're capable.

If there is anytime to do it, its this game. So much rides on that, we get a bye, we get theoritically weaker opponent, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, home field! I really think Ford Field can be another 12th man for detroit.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#52 » by ElectricMayhem » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:23 am

How can Suh be so smart in some aspects of his life and such an idiot in others? The suspension is all on him. You could argue that he deserved it or not, but it doesn't matter. What matters is that he put the league in the position of deciding his fate. He's selfish on the field and there's no way anyone can argue that these moves are unintentional anymore. I'll certainly be happy to see the Lions kick Raiola to the curb. As for Suh, I'll be a little more ambivalent when he inevitably sells himself to the highest bidder this offseason. He makes everyone on the defense better and plays an unselfish team game, but it's the individual crap like this that I won't miss.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#53 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:58 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:How can Suh be so smart in some aspects of his life and such an idiot in others? The suspension is all on him. You could argue that he deserved it or not, but it doesn't matter. What matters is that he put the league in the position of deciding his fate. He's selfish on the field and there's no way anyone can argue that these moves are unintentional anymore. I'll certainly be happy to see the Lions kick Raiola to the curb. As for Suh, I'll be a little more ambivalent when he inevitably sells himself to the highest bidder this offseason. He makes everyone on the defense better and plays an unselfish team game, but it's the individual crap like this that I won't miss.

i think if he's suspended this is may the last straw. We made it all this way just for him to blow it. I read there's a good chance he wins his appeal. We most definitely need him to be our run stopper however we may lose austin any ways, so our defense is going to look different. i am up in the air with him, if we don't resign him it'll depend on what plan B is in regards to our personnel.
BlackMaple
Starter
And1: 1,087

Post#54 » by BlackMaple » Mon Jan 5, 2015 12:16 am

Bullsh*t reversal by the refs. Are you kidding me?
BlackMaple
Starter
And1: 1,087

Post#55 » by BlackMaple » Mon Jan 5, 2015 12:29 am

God damn it. Time for Stafford to work his magic.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#56 » by Lionlifer » Mon Jan 5, 2015 4:29 pm

AHHHHH I'M STILL LIVID OVER THAT PICKUP!

Granted the Lions really only had 1 good quarter in my eye, but still, that was huge!

SO ANGRY, FIRE GODDELL, SMASH EVERYTHING!
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
gusman
Analyst
And1: 355

2014 Season Thread 

Post#57 » by gusman » Mon Jan 5, 2015 10:50 pm

Fixed

Go Blue!
Manster7588
Senior
And1: 28

Post#58 » by Manster7588 » Tue Jan 6, 2015 5:43 am

Lionlifer wrote:AHHHHH I'M STILL LIVID OVER THAT PICKUP!

Granted the Lions really only had 1 good quarter in my eye, but still, that was huge!

SO ANGRY, FIRE GODDELL, SMASH EVERYTHING!

Cowboy fan here to say the flag should have stayed. Don't blame you all for being pissed. I know I would be. If the flag stays there is no guarantee the lions win but the reversal sure didnt help you.

All that said I will gladly accept the call.

Not sure why your team wasn't more aggressive after the hot start. Seemed like you were playing not to lose.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#59 » by Manocad » Tue Jan 6, 2015 5:30 pm

Manster7588 wrote:
Not sure why your team wasn't more aggressive after the hot start. Seemed like you were playing not to lose.

That's exactly what me and my buddy were saying needed to happen but wouldn't. The Lions have unfortunately for a number of years and through many coaches not learned that killer instinct. They don't know how to put their foot on the gas pedal when they should. Get up a couple of scores, try to play "safe" and coast, leave it all up to the defense, and lose. I've lost track of the number of games I've seen over the years that played out exactly like this one.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#60 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Jan 6, 2015 11:53 pm

Manocad wrote:
Manster7588 wrote:

That's exactly what me and my buddy were saying needed to happen but wouldn't. The Lions have unfortunately for a number of years and through many coaches not learned that killer instinct. They don't know how to put their foot on the gas pedal when they should. Get up a couple of scores, try to play "safe" and coast, leave it all up to the defense, and lose. I've lost track of the number of games I've seen over the years that played out exactly like this one.

i think it was the Murray factor. We ran a couple blitz's that Murray kicked outside and got yards. From that point on, it seemed we rarely blitz'd or even showed different looks . Also i don't understand why we continued to ignore the the middle of the field. Also 3rd and 2 and you give it to Theo Riddick? Just questionable play calling all around and ST's absolutely killed us

Return to Detroit Lions