ImageImageImageImage

2014 Season Thread

Moderator: theBigLip

epheisey
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,443
And1: 409
Joined: Jul 23, 2010
         

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#21 » by epheisey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:58 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
epheisey wrote:Fairley likely out 4-5 weeks with MCL and PCL damage, but no tear found in MRI. :pray:



i thought i read, they believe its 4-5 , but aren't sure as of yet


The initial MRI showed no tear. That's the big thing. I believe they're waiting for confirmation, but as of right now, based on what the MRI showed, it's 4-5.

So yea, could still be longer, but that's why I posted the praying guy haha.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
User avatar
Blkbrd671
RealGM
Posts: 29,768
And1: 4,436
Joined: Oct 05, 2010
Location: Guam,USA
       

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#22 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:33 am

epheisey wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
epheisey wrote:Fairley likely out 4-5 weeks with MCL and PCL damage, but no tear found in MRI. :pray:



i thought i read, they believe its 4-5 , but aren't sure as of yet


The initial MRI showed no tear. That's the big thing. I believe they're waiting for confirmation, but as of right now, based on what the MRI showed, it's 4-5.

So yea, could still be longer, but that's why I posted the praying guy haha.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums



Caldwell said that the report came from ESPN and not their camp. Which is the important source. I know that typically NFL teams keep injury timetables under wraps as a strategy, but its still concerning. Caldwell did say he does expect Fairley back this seaosn. WHICH IS REALLY ENCOURAGING
epheisey
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,443
And1: 409
Joined: Jul 23, 2010
         

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#23 » by epheisey » Sun Nov 9, 2014 7:07 pm

Matt Stafford is awful. Calvin returns, Tate disappears. So frustrating.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
User avatar
Blkbrd671
RealGM
Posts: 29,768
And1: 4,436
Joined: Oct 05, 2010
Location: Guam,USA
       

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#24 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Nov 9, 2014 7:14 pm

epheisey wrote:Matt Stafford is awful. Calvin returns, Tate disappears. So frustrating.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums



Grimes interception was ridiculous, you have to truly appreciate good d. Also with CJ back, of course Tate gets less targets. not unexpected
epheisey
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,443
And1: 409
Joined: Jul 23, 2010
         

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#25 » by epheisey » Sun Nov 9, 2014 7:56 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:
epheisey wrote:Matt Stafford is awful. Calvin returns, Tate disappears. So frustrating.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums



Grimes interception was ridiculous, you have to truly appreciate good d. Also with CJ back, of course Tate gets less targets. not unexpected


The pick itself was great, the throw was bad though. A few feet short. Regardless, the only throws to Tate have been designed plays specifically for him. I want to see Stafford work through progressions and use more than Calvin or his bailout. We have 2 or 3 other options in between our #1 and #4/5 option.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
User avatar
Blkbrd671
RealGM
Posts: 29,768
And1: 4,436
Joined: Oct 05, 2010
Location: Guam,USA
       

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#26 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Nov 9, 2014 8:41 pm

epheisey wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
epheisey wrote:Matt Stafford is awful. Calvin returns, Tate disappears. So frustrating.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums



Grimes interception was ridiculous, you have to truly appreciate good d. Also with CJ back, of course Tate gets less targets. not unexpected


The pick itself was great, the throw was bad though. A few feet short. Regardless, the only throws to Tate have been designed plays specifically for him. I want to see Stafford work through progressions and use more than Calvin or his bailout. We have 2 or 3 other options in between our #1 and #4/5 option.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums



agreed, stafford is looking soley at calvin
epheisey
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,443
And1: 409
Joined: Jul 23, 2010
         

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#27 » by epheisey » Sun Nov 9, 2014 9:24 pm

Apparently Stafford and this offense only like to play to their potential when there is the opportunity for a last minute comeback win. A win is a win. But man it would be nice to see this team put a game away early when they have such an opportunity gifted on a platter.
User avatar
Blkbrd671
RealGM
Posts: 29,768
And1: 4,436
Joined: Oct 05, 2010
Location: Guam,USA
       

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#28 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Nov 9, 2014 11:09 pm

epheisey wrote:Apparently Stafford and this offense only like to play to their potential when there is the opportunity for a last minute comeback win. A win is a win. But man it would be nice to see this team put a game away early when they have such an opportunity gifted on a platter.



When stafford is forced to make plays to stay alive, he spreads the ball around a little more. Great play calling adjustment by lombardi.
User avatar
Blkbrd671
RealGM
Posts: 29,768
And1: 4,436
Joined: Oct 05, 2010
Location: Guam,USA
       

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#29 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Nov 9, 2014 11:32 pm

My take away from this game

Offense:

Stafford was great, i agree w epishey that he goes to CJ waaaaaaay to much, however i am sure that everytime Stafford goes through his progressions Cj always looks open. haha. I don't care about the mis throws, or mechanics. When it mattered Stafford put the ball where it needed to be.

RB: Bell was great, Bush looks done, Riddick is the new bush. Run game was suprisingly successful even with warford out

Receivers: Fuller didn't do sh*, tate is the best player on this team, CJ was CJ. Ross had one catch, it was important and he made it.


OL: Did a pretty decent job with the DE. Stafford still got pressure, but overall had a nice pocket for matt to throw out of. wArfords injury is concerning . Kudos to them for gettin the run game going at least a little

Defense:

DL: Suh is a straight beast, really can't emphasize that enough, Fairley is missed, but in the end the line got it done. great pressure. Ansah is a beast, he's still returning from injury (weight) but still a beast.

LB:
Meh. i think they did a good job against the run, but their coverage was lacking. Levy should have had a interception and dropped it. Whitehead got called for roughing the passer which was bs call. again when it mattered they made stops

CB: Mathis and slay had some issues, and vaughn made a nice play on the last defensive series. i'd give them a B

S: Dig is a beast at the line. i am suprised he didn't score on the pick but he got the job done, didn't hear much from quin which i think is a good thing
epheisey
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,443
And1: 409
Joined: Jul 23, 2010
         

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#30 » by epheisey » Sun Nov 9, 2014 11:33 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:
epheisey wrote:Apparently Stafford and this offense only like to play to their potential when there is the opportunity for a last minute comeback win. A win is a win. But man it would be nice to see this team put a game away early when they have such an opportunity gifted on a platter.



When stafford is forced to make plays to stay alive, he spreads the ball around a little more. Great play calling adjustment by lombardi.


It just drives me crazy that Lombardi can't make an adjustment like that in the previous 2 quarters.
User avatar
Blkbrd671
RealGM
Posts: 29,768
And1: 4,436
Joined: Oct 05, 2010
Location: Guam,USA
       

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#31 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Nov 9, 2014 11:49 pm

epheisey wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
epheisey wrote:Apparently Stafford and this offense only like to play to their potential when there is the opportunity for a last minute comeback win. A win is a win. But man it would be nice to see this team put a game away early when they have such an opportunity gifted on a platter.



When stafford is forced to make plays to stay alive, he spreads the ball around a little more. Great play calling adjustment by lombardi.


It just drives me crazy that Lombardi can't make an adjustment like that in the previous 2 quarters.



well play calling during a game and during the last possession of a game is definitely going to be different and more aggressive. i didn't have a problem with his play calling all game , it was more stafford forcing the throw to cj or missing a throw. i thought defensively we got timid as the game went on
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 60,615
And1: 7,067
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#32 » by Manocad » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:51 am

7-2 and I'm still thinking, "I don't know, man...I just don't know."
Image
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 60,615
And1: 7,067
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#33 » by Manocad » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:58 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:
epheisey wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

When stafford is forced to make plays to stay alive, he spreads the ball around a little more. Great play calling adjustment by lombardi.


It just drives me crazy that Lombardi can't make an adjustment like that in the previous 2 quarters.



well play calling during a game and during the last possession of a game is definitely going to be different and more aggressive. i didn't have a problem with his play calling all game , it was more stafford forcing the throw to cj or missing a throw. i thought defensively we got timid as the game went on

There's a big difference between "We don't make it here and it's game over" mode and knowing how to stomp on your opponent's neck when you've got your foot there. The Lions went up 10-0 then went into what we Lions fans have called the "play to not lose" mode. With the talent they have on offense, numerous 3-and-outs over the course of the game is absolutely unacceptable.
Image
epheisey
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,443
And1: 409
Joined: Jul 23, 2010
         

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#34 » by epheisey » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:02 am

Manocad wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
epheisey wrote:
It just drives me crazy that Lombardi can't make an adjustment like that in the previous 2 quarters.



well play calling during a game and during the last possession of a game is definitely going to be different and more aggressive. i didn't have a problem with his play calling all game , it was more stafford forcing the throw to cj or missing a throw. i thought defensively we got timid as the game went on

There's a big difference between "We don't make it here and it's game over" mode and knowing how to stomp on your opponent's neck when you've got your foot there. The Lions went up 10-0 then went into what we Lions fans have called the "play to not lose" mode. With the talent they have on offense, numerous 3-and-outs over the course of the game is absolutely unacceptable.


I agree. There was the series where Joique Bell was just brutalizing the Dolphins, including just demolishing Finnegan. They ran the ball or went to him 3 or 4 plays in a row, and then subbed in Riddick on 2 and 5 and immediately tried to force another run between the tackles with Theo. It's those things that drive me crazy. You just went to a hot back 4 times in a row, brought in a completely different style runner, and didn't switch it up at all. That would have been a perfect chance for a screen play or play-action. Instead, we got stuffed, had 3rd and 5, and ended up punting.

If you want to run up the middle again, keep the hot guy in there if you can, otherwise, if you're putting in a change of pace back, don't send him back up the middle. Don't run a 5th play in a row to your back when you have Calvin, Tate, Fuller, Ross, etc.

Just look at what the Packers did last night. They went hard the whole first half, and the game was over midway through the second quarter. If the Lions had put another TD on the board early (and there was a golden opportunity), that game is pretty much over with our defense.

I'll never discount a win. And our ability to come from behind is a HUGE plus. But come playoff time, that's not something to rely on. They need to develop that killer instinct, the ability to shut a team down when they get the chance, instead of letting teams hang around.
epheisey
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,443
And1: 409
Joined: Jul 23, 2010
         

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#35 » by epheisey » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:07 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:S: Dig is a beast at the line. i am suprised he didn't score on the pick but he got the job done


I don't remember if it was Ansah or someone else, but they were trying to get in position to block Tannehill, and got in Ihedigbo's way, which I think really threw him off. I was sitting there yelling for whoever it was to get out of his way...must not have heard me through my tv.
User avatar
Blkbrd671
RealGM
Posts: 29,768
And1: 4,436
Joined: Oct 05, 2010
Location: Guam,USA
       

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#36 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:42 am

epheisey wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:S: Dig is a beast at the line. i am suprised he didn't score on the pick but he got the job done


I don't remember if it was Ansah or someone else, but they were trying to get in position to block Tannehill, and got in Ihedigbo's way, which I think really threw him off. I was sitting there yelling for whoever it was to get out of his way...must not have heard me through my tv.



i believe it was ansah and he actually made a good block for Dig, but Dig cut across the field. If he kept going down the side line, maaaaaybe tanahiel would have caught him, but ansah more than likely would have wiped him out the play
User avatar
Blkbrd671
RealGM
Posts: 29,768
And1: 4,436
Joined: Oct 05, 2010
Location: Guam,USA
       

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#37 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:45 am

Manocad wrote:
well play calling during a game and during the last possession of a game is definitely going to be different and more aggressive. i didn't have a problem with his play calling all game , it was more stafford forcing the throw to cj or missing a throw. i thought defensively we got timid as the game went on

There's a big difference between "We don't make it here and it's game over" mode and knowing how to stomp on your opponent's neck when you've got your foot there. The Lions went up 10-0 then went into what we Lions fans have called the "play to not lose" mode. With the talent they have on offense, numerous 3-and-outs over the course of the game is absolutely unacceptable.[/quote]

We have to realize as fans, its not as simple as just doing it. Its a mindset and frame of mind that we have to learn to develop. To be fair, we don't exactly have a lot of experience in stomping ppls throats. This honestly felt a lot like the buffalao game, but we persevered
epheisey
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,443
And1: 409
Joined: Jul 23, 2010
         

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#38 » by epheisey » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:03 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
We have to realize as fans, its not as simple as just doing it. Its a mindset and frame of mind that we have to learn to develop. To be fair, we don't exactly have a lot of experience in stomping ppls throats. This honestly felt a lot like the buffalao game, but we persevered


Right, I think that's true.

Right now, the Lions are sitting at "Playoff Contender".

If they can develop that killer instinct, they should be able to move into the category of "Super Bowl Contender".

I may be jaded by past failures, but I'm still tempering my expectations right now. I think this team has the potential to make the playoffs, I still don't feel comfortable guaranteeing that yet, almost, but not quite. But I don't think this team is going on a deep run into the playoffs yet. We're real close, but until our offense can perform up to expectations, I think we're just short of that status.
User avatar
Blkbrd671
RealGM
Posts: 29,768
And1: 4,436
Joined: Oct 05, 2010
Location: Guam,USA
       

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#39 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:19 am

epheisey wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
We have to realize as fans, its not as simple as just doing it. Its a mindset and frame of mind that we have to learn to develop. To be fair, we don't exactly have a lot of experience in stomping ppls throats. This honestly felt a lot like the buffalao game, but we persevered


Right, I think that's true.

Right now, the Lions are sitting at "Playoff Contender".

If they can develop that killer instinct, they should be able to move into the category of "Super Bowl Contender".

I may be jaded by past failures, but I'm still tempering my expectations right now. I think this team has the potential to make the playoffs, I still don't feel comfortable guaranteeing that yet, almost, but not quite. But I don't think this team is going on a deep run into the playoffs yet. We're real close, but until our offense can perform up to expectations, I think we're just short of that status.



Run game needs to improve, we got to get healthy. CJ needs to remain healthy.

i have told everyone if Lions don't win the super bowl, i am going to cry maybe drown myself. lol, if there's any year to believe its this year. I fully expect to be dissappointed, but trying to believe. haha
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 60,615
And1: 7,067
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: 2014 Season Thread 

Post#40 » by Manocad » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:42 am

epheisey wrote:
Right now, the Lions are sitting at "Playoff Contender".

If they can develop that killer instinct, they should be able to move into the category of "Super Bowl Contender".

I may be jaded by past failures, but I'm still tempering my expectations right now. I think this team has the potential to make the playoffs, I still don't feel comfortable guaranteeing that yet, almost, but not quite. But I don't think this team is going on a deep run into the playoffs yet. We're real close, but until our offense can perform up to expectations, I think we're just short of that status.

Bingo
Image

Return to Detroit Lions