ImageImage

Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

bdpecore
Analyst
Posts: 3,251
And1: 367
Joined: Jul 03, 2010
     

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1781 » by bdpecore » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:18 am

weezybaby856 wrote:Who is this Josh Hill and why are we interested in a 27/28yr old CB with 1 year of NFL experience that isn't even in the league anymore? Do I have that right?

Link? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.
Profound23
RealGM
Posts: 10,014
And1: 668
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
   

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1782 » by Profound23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:41 am

I just wanted you to know that, if you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow....that I spread my butt cheeks as Mike Honcho
Profound23
RealGM
Posts: 10,014
And1: 668
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
   

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1783 » by Profound23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:37 am

So for those saying we want Ted to be as good as Belichick this should show you the problem. We aren't saying we have to sign the top CB and top ILB in free agency, then trade our 1st round pick for burner WR, and our free agent CB for almost a top ten pick.

We are just saying do a little better than a slow, short, cornerback who was undrafted, cut, never played a down in the NFL and been retired for three years.

There has to be some type of happy medium there when it comes to fixing our holes on defense.
I just wanted you to know that, if you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow....that I spread my butt cheeks as Mike Honcho
User avatar
HKPackFan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,820
And1: 2,371
Joined: Jan 14, 2014
Location: Hong Kong
   

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1784 » by HKPackFan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:13 am

Profound23 wrote:So for those saying we want Ted to be as good as Belichick this should show you the problem. We aren't saying we have to sign the top CB and top ILB in free agency, then trade our 1st round pick for burner WR, and our free agent CB for almost a top ten pick.

We are just saying do a little better than a slow, short, cornerback who was undrafted, cut, never played a down in the NFL and been retired for three years.

There has to be some type of happy medium there when it comes to fixing our holes on defense.



I think most people are in this boat. We don't want to go all out redskins style and blow our load and say TT system should be completely flipped on its head.

I think most are advocating an extra couple mid-level free agent moves vs going into a season with a known hole or unreasonably thin position and watching it predictably be a downfall.


Then of course the cheeshead bratwurst mouthful talking guy wants to spend 50 million on every big free agent every offseason, that's different.
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 48,314
And1: 4,427
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1785 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:25 am

Both the Pack and the Pats have great QB's. But the Patriots have built 5 Super Bowl teams around theirs and we've built one.

Anyone think New England would be paying Clay $13 million this year? Not a chance.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so, yeah."
User avatar
weezybaby856
Veteran
Posts: 2,984
And1: 389
Joined: Jul 04, 2008
Location: Giannis' shoulders with the rest of the Bucks
       

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1786 » by weezybaby856 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:34 am

Profound23 wrote:https://www.totalpackers.com/2017/03/josh-hill-packers-signing-ever/


Zero surprise Ted is interested in a street free agent like him. I've honestly never heard of him. He must've interviewed well at the combine 6yrs ago and doesn't slouch when he sits down. Seems like that's the credentials nowadays for a "Packer"; sit up straight and talk as if your college education worked and you can play for the Pack.

Reminds me of the movie The Little Giants. Do you like football? No. Do you want to play football? No. Good, you can be on our team.
Giannis is your favorite players favorite player.
Profound23
RealGM
Posts: 10,014
And1: 668
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
   

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1787 » by Profound23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:36 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Both the Pack and the Pats have great QB's. But the Patriots have built 5 Super Bowl teams around theirs and we've built one.

Anyone think New England would be paying Clay $13 million this year? Not a chance.


The Chiefs just renegotiated Derrick Johnson's contract from 8 mil to 2 mil. What people don't realize is if Ted used this money elsewhere, say he brought went crazy and brought in Poe and Hightower (just as an example) and then went to Clay and said look, we spent a lot of cap money to get some great players around you so we need you to restructure. He may feel the need to do it, because the Packers have used up their capspace, he knows he is disposable, he knows he can focus on one thing (getting to the QB) and he knows he will succeed playing next to a great ILB and right behind a good DT which in turn extends his career and puts more money in his pocket down the road.

Now, you have 27 mil and a terrible defense, Clay knows:

-You pretty much have nobody else, so you aren't disposable
-You have 27 mil in capspace that you aren't going to use to help the team out now
-You are going to be asked to play all over the field, ILB (which he has already stated he dislikes), sometimes lining up on the line...etc.
I just wanted you to know that, if you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow....that I spread my butt cheeks as Mike Honcho
User avatar
Mags FTW
RealGM
Posts: 26,808
And1: 1,945
Joined: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Flickin' It

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1788 » by Mags FTW » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 am

I was a little shocked to find out MM hasn't even been in the country for a good part of the FA period.

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- He had to text. Calling everyone else was hard enough. He wasn't about to get all sappy and weepy with a two-time NFL MVP on the other end of the line.

T.J. Lang made a lot of difficult phone calls after deciding last Sunday to leave the Green Bay Packers for the Detroit Lions in free agency. The 29-year-old Pro Bowl guard had hoped -- and publicly said so, over and over -- that he would stay with the only NFL team he had ever known. So after his hometown Lions gave him an offer he couldn't refuse -- a three-year, $28.5 million deal that included $19 million in guaranteed money -- and the Packers told him they had already made their final offer, Lang picked up his iPhone, preparing to say his goodbyes.

He called his line coach, James Campen. He called right tackle Bryan Bulaga, his offensive line running mate, as well as receiver Jordy Nelson and kicker Mason Crosby, two of his longtime teammates. He called team president/CEO Mark Murphy. He would've called coach Mike McCarthy, but he knew McCarthy was on vacation with his family in Turks and Caicos.


http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/233964/after-saying-goodbye-to-aaron-rodgers-t-j-lang-ready-to-embrace-lions
UW Head Football Coach Gary Anderson wrote:I don't know that.
jakecronus8
RealGM
Posts: 10,557
And1: 2,988
Joined: Feb 06, 2006
     

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1789 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:28 am

Never ceases to amaze me how whiny packer fans can be
Hardcore Bucks fan podcast. @BuckLifePodcast on Twitter. Available on iTunes, Stitcher, and YouTube.
bdpecore
Analyst
Posts: 3,251
And1: 367
Joined: Jul 03, 2010
     

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1790 » by bdpecore » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Mags FTW wrote:I was a little shocked to find out MM hasn't even been in the country for a good part of the FA period.

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- He had to text. Calling everyone else was hard enough. He wasn't about to get all sappy and weepy with a two-time NFL MVP on the other end of the line.

T.J. Lang made a lot of difficult phone calls after deciding last Sunday to leave the Green Bay Packers for the Detroit Lions in free agency. The 29-year-old Pro Bowl guard had hoped -- and publicly said so, over and over -- that he would stay with the only NFL team he had ever known. So after his hometown Lions gave him an offer he couldn't refuse -- a three-year, $28.5 million deal that included $19 million in guaranteed money -- and the Packers told him they had already made their final offer, Lang picked up his iPhone, preparing to say his goodbyes.

He called his line coach, James Campen. He called right tackle Bryan Bulaga, his offensive line running mate, as well as receiver Jordy Nelson and kicker Mason Crosby, two of his longtime teammates. He called team president/CEO Mark Murphy. He would've called coach Mike McCarthy, but he knew McCarthy was on vacation with his family in Turks and Caicos.


http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/233964/after-saying-goodbye-to-aaron-rodgers-t-j-lang-ready-to-embrace-lions

So our coach took a family vacation in the offseason. So what! It's not like he fell of the grid completely. There are things called cell phones and email which allow one to stay
In contact when away. Heck, there are times that I don't even take vacation days when my family goes o vacation because I can work remotely and still keep on top of my work and sales team.
User avatar
crkone
RealGM
Posts: 18,360
And1: 1,837
Joined: Aug 16, 2006
     

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1791 » by crkone » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:57 pm

weezybaby856 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:https://www.totalpackers.com/2017/03/josh-hill-packers-signing-ever/


Zero surprise Ted is interested in a street free agent like him. I've honestly never heard of him. He must've interviewed well at the combine 6yrs ago and doesn't slouch when he sits down. Seems like that's the credentials nowadays for a "Packer"; sit up straight and talk as if your college education worked and you can play for the Pack.

Reminds me of the movie The Little Giants. Do you like football? No. Do you want to play football? No. Good, you can be on our team.


So the Pack can't sign camp fodder now? :lol:

Code: Select all

         -|
       -' |
     -'   | __().
==========|'\/   `.O__
                    \ `,
                   _-^.
                   `.  `---,
                     :

____________________________________
///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\
User avatar
IrishRainbow
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,614
And1: 188
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: @ the drawing table
     

Re: RE: Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1792 » by IrishRainbow » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:57 pm

bdpecore wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:I was a little shocked to find out MM hasn't even been in the country for a good part of the FA period.

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- He had to text. Calling everyone else was hard enough. He wasn't about to get all sappy and weepy with a two-time NFL MVP on the other end of the line.

T.J. Lang made a lot of difficult phone calls after deciding last Sunday to leave the Green Bay Packers for the Detroit Lions in free agency. The 29-year-old Pro Bowl guard had hoped -- and publicly said so, over and over -- that he would stay with the only NFL team he had ever known. So after his hometown Lions gave him an offer he couldn't refuse -- a three-year, $28.5 million deal that included $19 million in guaranteed money -- and the Packers told him they had already made their final offer, Lang picked up his iPhone, preparing to say his goodbyes.

He called his line coach, James Campen. He called right tackle Bryan Bulaga, his offensive line running mate, as well as receiver Jordy Nelson and kicker Mason Crosby, two of his longtime teammates. He called team president/CEO Mark Murphy. He would've called coach Mike McCarthy, but he knew McCarthy was on vacation with his family in Turks and Caicos.


http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/233964/after-saying-goodbye-to-aaron-rodgers-t-j-lang-ready-to-embrace-lions

So our coach took a family vacation in the offseason. So what! It's not like he fell of the grid completely. There are things called cell phones and email which allow one to stay
In contact when away. Heck, there are times that I don't even take vacation days when my family goes o vacation because I can work remotely and still keep on top of my work and sales team.


Not that hard lined either way, but there is plenty of other off season time before FA begins...it's kind of an important time. Wouldn't it be advantageous to be able to have your coach meet with potential outside FAs? It's kind of a fluid situation and should be addressed with a little bit of urgency.
User avatar
Mags FTW
RealGM
Posts: 26,808
And1: 1,945
Joined: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Flickin' It

Re: RE: Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1793 » by Mags FTW » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 pm

IrishRainbow wrote:
bdpecore wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:I was a little shocked to find out MM hasn't even been in the country for a good part of the FA period.



http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/233964/after-saying-goodbye-to-aaron-rodgers-t-j-lang-ready-to-embrace-lions

So our coach took a family vacation in the offseason. So what! It's not like he fell of the grid completely. There are things called cell phones and email which allow one to stay
In contact when away. Heck, there are times that I don't even take vacation days when my family goes o vacation because I can work remotely and still keep on top of my work and sales team.


Not that hard lined either way, but there is plenty of other off season time before FA begins...it's kind of an important time. Wouldn't it be advantageous to be able to have your coach meet with potential outside FAs? It's kind of a fluid situation and should be addressed with a little bit of urgency.

This.

Retail employees usually aren't allowed to take vacation between Black Friday and Christmas. Tax accountants between March and April. Etc.

There was over a month between the NFC Championship and the beginning of FA when it would have been a good time to take a vacation.

And my post was more of an observation of how FA decisions must fall almost exclusively on TT if MM isn't even in the country during peak signing season.
UW Head Football Coach Gary Anderson wrote:I don't know that.
jakecronus8
RealGM
Posts: 10,557
And1: 2,988
Joined: Feb 06, 2006
     

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1794 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:34 pm

Really? I mean...

Image
Hardcore Bucks fan podcast. @BuckLifePodcast on Twitter. Available on iTunes, Stitcher, and YouTube.
User avatar
BucksPackers
Starter
Posts: 2,116
And1: 441
Joined: Jun 23, 2016
   

Re: RE: Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1795 » by BucksPackers » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:41 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
IrishRainbow wrote:
bdpecore wrote:So our coach took a family vacation in the offseason. So what! It's not like he fell of the grid completely. There are things called cell phones and email which allow one to stay
In contact when away. Heck, there are times that I don't even take vacation days when my family goes o vacation because I can work remotely and still keep on top of my work and sales team.


Not that hard lined either way, but there is plenty of other off season time before FA begins...it's kind of an important time. Wouldn't it be advantageous to be able to have your coach meet with potential outside FAs? It's kind of a fluid situation and should be addressed with a little bit of urgency.

This.

Retail employees usually aren't allowed to take vacation between Black Friday and Christmas. Tax accountants between March and April. Etc.

There was over a month between the NFC Championship and the beginning of FA when it would have been a good time to take a vacation.

And my post was more of an observation of how FA decisions must fall almost exclusively on TT if MM isn't even in the country during peak signing season.



Man you people are ridiculous. I've never heard of people complaining that a head coach went on vacation. Maybe the family was busy with stuff those weeks who knows and who cares. No reason to be upset that a guy was on vacation when TJ Lang left or during free agency. Some of you people need a different hobby while it is not football season. Because this is unbelievable lol.
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 48,314
And1: 4,427
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1796 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:46 pm

This isn't college recruiting. Face to face with the coach is a non factor. I've never heard any player say "I was going to sign with a this team but I couldn't meet with the coach so I signed with a different team".
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so, yeah."
User avatar
BucksPackers
Starter
Posts: 2,116
And1: 441
Joined: Jun 23, 2016
   

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1797 » by BucksPackers » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:12 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:This isn't college recruiting. Face to face with the coach is a non factor. I've never heard any player say "I was going to sign with a this team but I couldn't meet with the coach so I signed with a different team".



Exactly. I'm sure Bennett was upset signing here when he didn't get to talk to McCarthy.
User avatar
Mags FTW
RealGM
Posts: 26,808
And1: 1,945
Joined: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Flickin' It

Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1798 » by Mags FTW » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:37 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Really? I mean...

Image

Yeah, but here's TT meeting face to face with Kendricks.

Image
UW Head Football Coach Gary Anderson wrote:I don't know that.
User avatar
IrishRainbow
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,614
And1: 188
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: @ the drawing table
     

Re: RE: Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1799 » by IrishRainbow » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:00 pm

BucksPackers wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:This isn't college recruiting. Face to face with the coach is a non factor. I've never heard any player say "I was going to sign with a this team but I couldn't meet with the coach so I signed with a different team".



Exactly. I'm sure Bennett was upset signing here when he didn't get to talk to McCarthy.


I dont really have a horse in this race and wont soapbox so I won't comment further than this. Would it NOT be advantageous to have the coach of the team available in a FA war room so to speak as the FA list changes? Not that I don't think they didn't go over a tier set of available FAs or cost ceilings, I'm sure they drew up preliminary tables or had their coffee and chalk talked the headliners, but just seems to me that an organization/business that has such high stakes an 'all hands on deck' approach would be beneficial. No I don't think Bennett had any feeling(s) one way or the other regarding a Kohlesque dinner date with MM. Maybe the advantage lever isn't swayed heavily based on MM being available to a particular FA, and maybe the same can be said for his direct availability to TT during such period, but together maybe it does...maybe not. To say that it (his direct participation), as negligible as it may be, has no affect is a bit shrouded. We've seen how much 'fit' can play into a players ability to adapt to a scheme. We've also seen how adequate depth is paramount. Whether were talking 1-11 on either side of the ball or were talking #53, if nothing else it's asset management.

Guess I do have a horse...but I've said my peace and can understand the counter if it is of the opinion that the negligible variables that having a coach there carries no weight whatsoever.
User avatar
BucksPackers
Starter
Posts: 2,116
And1: 441
Joined: Jun 23, 2016
   

Re: RE: Re: Offseason Thread: Perry/Bennett/Kendricks 

Post#1800 » by BucksPackers » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:05 pm

IrishRainbow wrote:
BucksPackers wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:This isn't college recruiting. Face to face with the coach is a non factor. I've never heard any player say "I was going to sign with a this team but I couldn't meet with the coach so I signed with a different team".



Exactly. I'm sure Bennett was upset signing here when he didn't get to talk to McCarthy.


I dont really have a horse in this race and wont soapbox so I won't comment further than this. Would it NOT be advantageous to have the coach of the team available in a FA war room so to speak as the FA list changes? Not that I don't think they didn't go over a tier set of available FAs or cost ceilings, I'm sure they drew up preliminary tables or had their coffee and chalk talked the headliners, but just seems to me that an organization/business that has such high stakes an 'all hands on deck' approach would be beneficial. No I don't think Bennett had any feeling(s) one way or the other regarding a Kohlesque dinner date with MM. Maybe the advantage lever isn't swayed heavily based on MM being available to a particular FA, and maybe the same can be said for his direct availability to TT during such period, but together maybe it does...maybe not. To say that it (his direct participation), as negligible as it may be, has no affect is a bit shrouded. We've seen how much 'fit' can play into a players ability to adapt to a scheme. We've also seen how adequate depth is paramount. Whether were talking 1-11 on either side of the ball or were talking #53, if nothing else it's asset management.

Guess I do have a horse...but I've said my peace and can understand the counter if it is of the opinion that the negligible variables that having a coach there carries no weight whatsoever.



I just don't see the point in needing the coach in the office or the phone. Like someone said earlier this isn't college recruiting offering starting jobs or what not. People know what they are getting into as free agents and I just don't see a coach saying hey if you sign here I'll start you at OLB will make a difference.

Now if your a QB or RB trying to find a starting spot on a team then maybe the coach will be needed in the room to talk about opportunities they will be given in practice.

Return to Green Bay Packers